Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JabbaPapa: The Catholicit y is not a “par adigm̶ 1; — I also think that those who are over-using this word in recent times are mis-using it from a lack of understand ing of what it...
- Fr. Lovell: I was ordained a priest just six weeks prior to the release of “Summorum Pontificum .” I mention this because from the very beginning I have experience d the joy of the EF as well as...
- Kathleen10: Heh, just wait til Vatican II gets beatified along with Paul VI. They’ ;re making it all but illegal, and if they can make it illegal, they will. Their intentions are perfec...
- Michaelus: This is how young people can change the world! It really happened: https://ww w.heraldo. es/noticia s/ocio-cul tura/2018/ 02/14/el-p regon-sant iago-compo stela-ofen dio-virgen -del-pi...
- Henry Edwards: The “Rec tor’ s shrineR 21;??? Thanks for letting us know how cordially our NATIONAL Shrine (aka “Ame rica’ ;s church) welcomes TLM priests. Good to remem...
- Father Totton: I experience d a similar challenge recently at the Shrine. I was in DC back in October and I had requested ahead of time to offer a private Mass in the Lourdes Chapel (I didn...
- adriennep: The spectacula r G. A. Henty (spelled with a t) novels come highly recommende d by homeschool families with boys. They are written before 1900 but so dense and historical ly accurate. He...
- Lucas: jbazchicag o: He is definitely a priest looking for advancemen t, I’m sure he’l l get it sooner rather than later. Fr Z: I’m not surprised about your issues. There was...
- JamesA: “Dr. H. D’um py” ? (Insert uproarious laughter) Excellent. If His Excellency insists there is no rupture, then that means the age-old teaching of the Church is unchang...
- momoften: I homeschool . I have been for about 20 years. I am not perfect at it. I am not a teacher. I know what I do want for my kids. I want the best mass, best churches I can go to in the city I...
- Joy65: How very sad. This hurts my heart. Whether one or 1000 or more each deserves the Adoration and reverence of Our Lord. Praying that in the future this situation will be thought about ahead of...
- Fr.JP: When St JPII visited NZ in 1986 and a large outdoor Mass was held in Christchur ch at the then Lancaster Park, a similar thing happened – too many hosts consecrate d – but...
- bobbird: This was texted to me by a fellow retired teacher: Young Girl: “Dea r God, why do you permit these terrible school shootings to take place?R 21; God: “I 8217;m sorry, but...
- bcstudent: I think that there are certain evangelica l benefits from having public mega-Masse s. When roads are closed or stadiums are filled with practicing Catholics praying the Holy Mass it is a...
- Grateful to be Catholic: A Pontifical Solemn Mass according to the Missal of 1962 will be celebrated at the High Altar of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on April...
- David L Alexander: I understand there is a specific chapel (Our Lady of Lourdes) that is used for the TLM. It has its own very small sacristy with suitable vestments and other accoutreme nt. I...
- wmeyer: As to paper vs. Kindle, I think it an excellent idea to give real books to the children. First, because the experience of the book, and freedom from other distractio ns, is part of the...
- HeatherPA: This makes my heart sink, worrying about the Lord being subject to sacrilege because they didn’t use prudence or want to upset anyone over poor attendence ? I truly hope that His Sacred...
- John UK: Don’ t get me started, Father! 1) I understand that when JPII celebrated on Pontcanna Fields in Cardiff on his papal visit so many Hosts were over-conse crated that that they were...
- GypsyMom: My husband and I run a small homeschool “co- op” using an accredited Catholic classical curriculum . The materials are solid and trustworth y, and the students get a good...
- Semper Gumby: I agree with other commenters about reading aloud, printed books over screens at that age, and reading Tolkien first before viewing those movies. MacCheese: For a 10 year-old boy, a...
- Jim Dorchak: Yep it was all on the news here in Chile that no one was attending Masses held by the Holy Father Our Pope Francis while he was here in Chile. Here there is a saying; Pope Who?
- Winfield: In light of this inexcusabl y shabby treatment — and just plain lack of manners — it will be some time before I make another donation to the Shrine. [I must RUSH to repeat...
- HeatherPA: This is an uncomforta ble topic for me because of the conflict I feel about it. I live in a rural area. We have pretty crappy public schools that have went the way of the world, and...
- Semper Gumby: Amen. And God bless the Holy Name Society of the NYPD.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Card. Burke
Today is Cardinal Burke’s 67th Birthday! Ad multos annos!
Originally Published on: Jun 29, 2015 @ 12:16
Today is His Eminence Raymond Card. Burke’s 40th anniversary of ordination to the sacred priesthood. He was, I believe, ordained by Paul VI.
That was a good … Continue reading
There is an especially venomous case of Burke Derangement Syndrome™ from the Wile E. Coyote of contemporary liberal catholicism, Michael Sean Winters of National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap).
He reacted to an interview Card. Burke gave to LifeSite. HERE
When it comes to Card. Burke it … Continue reading
A new interview with His Eminence Raymond Card. Burke with LifesiteNews. Read it all there, but here is some:
Exclusive interview: Cardinal Burke says confusion spreading among Catholics ‘in an alarming way’ (full text)
Editor’s Note: Cardinal Raymond Burke spoke with LifeSiteNews … Continue reading
There is a new initiative which you should know about. My friend Fr. Richard Heilman is involved, as is His Eminence Raymond Leo Card. Burke.
For more information you can also text keyword EPIC to 84576 (I think that might … Continue reading
Card. Burke’s magisterial talk in England: If we can’t get the family right, New Evangelization will fail.
His Eminence Raymond Leo (Latin for “Lion”) Card. S.R.E. Burke was in England recently. He sang Mass for which my friend Fr. Finigan was one of the sacred ministers. He gave quite a talk. The full text is HERE. The … Continue reading
I had a thought about what Card. Burke said. In his interview with a French TV station, His Eminence said, in answer to a question about the possibility that the Pope might persist (quite an assumption) in driving forward Communion … Continue reading
What do we do when legitimate authority gets something important wrong?
We respectfully resist legitimate authority.
Pope Francis does or doesn’t do, A, B or C. He doesn’t, for example, wear proper pontifical garb, as tradition and decorum require, in the proper … Continue reading
At The Wanderer there is part 1 of a new interview with His Eminence Raymond Card. Burke.
See if this isn’t exactly what I have been talking about for… how long now?
“The Sacred Liturgy is absolutely the first act of the New Evangelization. Unless … Continue reading
In the traditional Roman calendar, today is the Feast of St. Raymond of Penfort. As such, today is the onomastico, or Name Day, of His Eminence Raymond Leo Card. Burke.
Coincidently, St. Raymond is the patron saint of canonists.
I am sure … Continue reading
Ultra Fr. Z kudos to Anthony Esolen who has a must-read, do-not-miss, go-there-to-read-it-now piece about making the Church effeminate and, thereby, killing vocations to the priesthood.
How to Kill Vocations in Your Diocese
Cardinal Raymond Burke has recently laid some of … Continue reading
Over Crux, the same-sex union between the Fishwrap and the secular Boston Globe (with all the same characters).
There is a poll, on the left side.. scroll down.
I, for one, agree. Make up your own mind.
Results as of this writing…
Perhaps all of you could … Continue reading
Today we had a Pontifical Mass at the faldstool celebrated by His Eminence Raymond Leo Card. Burke. There was a visiting choir from Ireland for the music. The Mass was in the Basilica of San Nicola in carcere, which is … Continue reading
At Emangelization there is a long interview with His Eminence Raymond Leo (which means “Lion”) Card. Burke. His Eminence is not going quietly into the good night, as I am sure his enemies had wanted… since they couldn’t get more. … Continue reading
At my old stomping ground The Wanderer (I had a weekly column for 11 years) there is an interview with His Eminence Raymond Leo Card. Burke. Read the whole thing there, but here is a sample of Part One of the interview, … Continue reading
Whereas His Eminence is a fierce and constant defender and promoter of justice for all parties in service of the Truth,
Whereas His Eminence willingly celebrates Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form,
Whereas His Eminence is kind to children,
Whereas His Eminence contributes … Continue reading
We all want to know how Card. Burke is doing. From CNA:
Cardinal Burke opens up about his new office with Knights of Malta
By Jan Bentz
Rome, Italy, Nov 29, 2014 / 06:01 am (CNA/EWTN News).- On Nov. 8 the Vatican announced … Continue reading
What is it about Archbishops of St. Louis? They tend to bring out the bully in politicians.
Maybe you recall how, years ago when now-Archbp. Robert Carlson informed then-Sen. Tom Daschle that he wasn’t to vote for a partial-birth abortion bill … Continue reading
Friends, the controversy isn’t over yet. It is only beginning.
So, I am happy to report that The Five Cardinals Book™, Remaining in the Truth of Christ: Marriage and Communion in the Catholic Church, which helped to turn the tide during the … Continue reading