When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Elizabeth D said Some favorite St Teresa quotes, paraphrased. But w...
- Matt R said Fr. Jim, whatever the merits of celebrating baptis...
- AlexandraNW said Let nothing disturb thee, Let nothing affront thee...
- mlmc said i guess i should add that when your mortality rate...
- DebbieInCT said “Remember that you have only one soul; that...
- Robbie said “Odds are that you are more likely to win th...
- jmoran said To other saints, our Lord seems to have given grac...
- ejcmartin said “Christ has no body now on earth but yours, no han...
- mysticalrose said “Dear Lord, if this is how You treat Your fr...
- Imrahil said Only, dear LOTH, that “ghost”, as far...
- Imrahil said Dear Nicolas Bellord, well, the rules of English o...
- mlmc said nowhere in the article does it state the reason fo...
- oldconvert said St Teresa has always reminded me of certain Ward S...
- PMK said How timely this post is for me. My sister, a pract...
- frjim4321 said I don’t believe in being more Catholic than...
- LOTH said I’m wondering about the sounds. Wish I knew...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said I turned the comments off for this one, lest anyon...
- robtbrown said Thanks to Cardinal Koch and in honor of Cardinal M...
- Rachel K said Errrm …… Riiiight……..ok, s...
- Priam1184 said I am also a fan of the archaic. And I like bringi...
- robtbrown said I always use “Spirit”, if for no other...
- SKAY said Yes – 46% No-54% “Slaughterhouses don...
- SanSan said No is ahead! Wonder if our voices will every be h...
- kat said Our priest and congregation use the Liguorian meth...
- Faith said IOW tweet, text, FB, MORE!
- BillG said I tend to agree with Boniface. Ghost / Spirit is...
- Gaz said My old Parish Priest once said to me (regarding Pr...
- kat said My parents, being among those who fought against t...
- Subdeacon Joseph K. said I love the word “ghost.” After all, i...
- AlexanderAerarius said “Holy Ghost” sounds Protestant to me....
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
An outstanding opportunity to get into Latin and New Testament Greek
For Easter: another ethereal music CD from the chart-topping nuns…
Support them with prayer and fasting.
"Let God arise! Let His enemies be scattered! Let those who hate him flee before His Holy Face!"
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
And they have tea too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Happy Birthday St. Teresa of Avila!
- LENTCAzT 39: Saturday of the 5th Week of Lent
- WDTPRS: Palm Sunday – The Transforming Example
- An especially virulent case of Burke Derangement Syndrome™
- ASK FATHER: Could a Bishop be consecrated with the “Usus Antiquior”?
- From a Father of the Church to everyone who texts and tweets
- ACTION ITEM! POLL ALERT! Wisconsin Judge strikes down law requiring abortion docs to have hospital privileges
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS (audio from Fr. Z)
- Monthly donations: a request
- ASK FATHER: Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit?
- ASK FATHER: Delaying baptism until after Lent
- ASK FATHER: Do vestments really matter?!?
- LENTCAzT 38: Friday of the 5th Week of Lent – Our Lady of Sorrows
- ASK FATHER: Can a Bishop be a Deacon for a Priest in a Solemn Mass?
- Another Cardinal stands up to Card. Marx and German bishops:
- The silly season is still in full swing!
- Wherein Fr. Z muses on a growing trend
- “Blessed are they who persecute the righteous, for they shall be called the children of God.”
- Card. Müller: Delegate doctrinal decisions to regional conferences? “absolutely anti-Catholic”!
- Card. Nichols reacts to the 500 Priests
- 25 March – D. Madison – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- LENTCAzT 37: Thursday of the 5th Week of Lent
- 1st Joyful Mystery: The Annunciation
- Of the Premonstratensian Rite and Confessions
- WDTPRS: Annunciation – Lady Day
- 25 March: St. Dismas – The Good Thief
- LENTCAzT 36: Wednesday of the 5th Week of Lent
- Card. Cordes tackles hard the German Bishops Conference
- Brick by Brick in Greenville
- New interview with Card. Burke
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Tag Archives: Card. George
There are times when I have listened to Pope Francis or have read what he has said, and I am left scratching my head.
I have stated here quite a few times that, sometimes, I have no idea what he is … Continue reading
At Amerika there is an interview with Francis Card. George, the out-going Archbishop of Chicago. Among the various questions put to him, this one, with the answer caught my special attention.
My emphases and comments:
You were prominent in the work … Continue reading
I warmly recommend to the readership a column by Francis Card. George, Archbishop of Chicago. His Eminence knocks this one over the fence.
We enter in medias res. You can find the whole thing HERE:
In recent years, society has brought … Continue reading
Over at Vultus Christi, which I check every day, dom Mark posted a disturbing quote from St. John Chrysostom’s On the priesthood:
All men are ready to pass judgment on the priest as if he was not a being clothed with … Continue reading
We are starting to see more often now the heterodox attack orthodox defenses of Catholic doctrine as “turning against the poor”.
In the combox here, under a post about Bp. Morlino, someone tried to slither in a snarky implication that Bp. … Continue reading
From Chicago Sun-Times:
Cardinal George criticized for plans to attend alleged gay-conversion conference
BY FRANCINE KNOWLES Religion Reporter
Cardinal Francis George is being called out in a petition drive to drop plans to offer mass at a conference where critics say therapists and … Continue reading
From a reader:
From the Chicago Tribune:
Cardinal George: Doctors ‘couldn’t find any evidence of cancer’
By Manya A. Brachear
7:39 a.m. CST, December 12, 2012
Medical tests have shown that Chicago’s Cardinal Francis George appears to be free of cancer, he said in a wide-ranging … Continue reading
Perhaps in your goodness you would remember Card. George in your prayers, perhaps even offering some penances and mortifications for him.
4:11 p.m. CDT, August 17, 2012
Cardinal Francis George will undergo treatment for cancer, the Chicago Archdiocese announced Friday … Continue reading
From the Washington Times (the sane paper of the Capitol city):
Chick-fil-A still ruffling [Chicago alderman] Proco Joe Moreno’s feathers
By Peter V. Bella [retired Chicago Police Officer, freelance journalist and photojournalist, cook, and raconteur. WDTPRS likes retired cops… a lot.]
CHICAGO August … Continue reading