Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- daughteroflight: For curious people who want to find their territoria l parish, some (not all) dioceses in the USA actually have a parish search function on their website which also displays the...
- Kathleen10: The distance between planet earth and the sun seems shorter than the distance between the men in Rome of that time and the specimens we have now.
- Joe in Canada: A midwinter thaw? You cited a Jesuit, favorably!
- LarryW2LJ: “I recommend not suddenly shouting, “WAIT! THERE’S MORE!”R 21; Yes … 230;. it’s NEVER a good idea to give Father a heart attack!
- TonyO: GordonB, there can be an appearance of the same kind of “car ping” ; about how it “is& #8221; or “is not” obedience to the authority of the Teachers. I propose...
- padredana: What about the old formula in the vernacular ? My understand ing is that since Summorum Pontificum allows the use of the books in use in 1962, and in 1961 in the United States the use of...
- teomatteo: Also please note that a fundraiser will begin immediatel y after the mass (for a new roof!)
- Fr_Sotelo: The videos of Bishop Schneider are very impressive for his ability to articulate the crisis in the Church, maintainin g still his serene trust in Divine Providence and in the indefec...
- Imrahil: Of course, this “sou nds a lot like the SSPX” ;. The thing is, as far as the possibilit y of error by the Magisteriu m (acting below the level of infallibil ity) and the non-a...
- aiello01: Recovering New Testament Christiani ty would be more useful. [It wasn’ ;t “los t”. It’s with us now. We live it now. This is a false road. Christiani ty by defini...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: I’m not so sure someone with a scrupulous conscience would wait for an answer here in this forum. I guess it is possible but scrupulous ly usually produces a very unholy...
- APX: As someone with a terrible memory that has a tendency to go blank, I strongly recommend writing out one’ s sins. Not only will it keep you from forgetting them, but it will speed up the...
- bushboar: There̵ 7;s no such thing as a “sam e sex spouseR 21; so there̵ 7;s no danger of scandal. Problem solved!
- GordonB: Not to split hairs, but this sounds remarkably alike to what I understand (though perhaps my understand ing is wrong) the Society of St. Pius X says when raising concerns about certain...
- ChrisP: Prof Lawler and Salzman need to take a undergrad, simpletons course in the Creighton fertility method and ancillary NaPro Technology . It will avail their Nazgul like minds of true sexual...
- JMody: Cardinal Müller is a definite treasure. Such a shame that he is no longer running CDF. I was struck by two things reading this: 1. In his exposition on the question of obedience and absol...
- stephen c: I never believed that Pius XII was as helpful as his detractors say he was to the evil and violent politician s of his day. So, I have not prayed for him the way I pray for our poor...
- Dean: “Rem ember that you are a beloved child of God” , those were the first words more than a decade ago after my first confession in over 4 years in which I had confessed to serious...
- Sawyer: It increasing ly seems that quite a few “the ologians 8221; consider their role to be purveyors of sophistry whose aim is to play word games with traditiona l theologica l terms in...
- JohnRoss: A video shows an Armenian deaconess serving a liturgy in Turkey. https://ww w.facebook .com/ortho doxdeacone ss/posts/5 6314127052 5514 [Yawn.]
- JohnRoss: The Armenian Apostolic Church apparently never abolished the female diaconate. It’s continued ordaining women without interrupti on since the 4th century. Being separate from the...
- Sawyer: @Mat. Anna, I was intrigued by your informatio n and did some research. I found that Pope Pius XII wrote an encyclical “Sem piternus rex” in which he declared that the Orien...
- thomas tucker: This questioner sounds to me as if he is troubled by a scrupulous conscience . Having suffered from that years ago, I can recognize it, and the suffering that it causes. One thing I...
- nycdreamr: Nothing in this article has anything to do with reducing the age of consent. [Maybe you really believe that. Mark my words: that’ ;s the trajectory .]
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z wrote: “The horsemeat& #8230;take s me back to seminary.& #8221; This cafeteria- chow talk brings to mind the learned discussion the Blues Brothers had with Matt “...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
- DISGUSTING LBGT story reveals something about homosexualist agenda in the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Irish “Mass Path”, for secret worship, mapped and photographed (and some BOOKS)
- ASK FATHER: SSPX or Diocesan TLM – It is an “undue burden” to have to wait 3.5 hours?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: cardinals
At the English site of Vatican Radio we find the names of the soon-to-be Cardinals. There is something rather odd in the list.
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis on Sunday announced a consistory for the creation of new Cardinals. He made the … Continue reading
Declaration of Council of 9 Cardinals: “adhesion and loyalty to the figure of the Pope and to his Magisterium”
This is from the Bolletino:
Declaration of the Council of Cardinals, 13.02.2017
The Council of Cardinals began its eighteenth session today.
At the beginning, Cardinal Oscar Andrés Rodríguez Maradiaga, coordinator of the group, after greeting the Holy Father, thanked him on behalf of … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters looks into the issue of the excommunication incurred by a cardinal elector who “canvasses” for votes in the context of a papal conclave. HERE
I won’t, here, get into Dr. Peter’s proposal that automatic (late sententiae) excommunication should be … Continue reading
A reader asked about “Ray”. “Ray” is every Cardinal (the member of the finch family) who has occasionally appeared on these electronic pages.
Since I moved from the Sabine Farm to the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue, I have not had … Continue reading
Today the Holy Father named new Cardinals, including:
The Pontiff made the announcement during his Angelus address in St Peter’s Square this morning.
The Pope named 15 other voting cardinals:
– Archbishop Pietro Parolin, Vatican Secretary of State;
– Archbishop Lorenzo Baldisseri, Secretary of … Continue reading
Pope Francis says something like: “We need a deeper theology of women.”
What liberals hear: “The Pope is going to name women cardinals!”
That Francis might create females cardinals is patently absurd.
The cartoon, by the way, is from this week’s number of … Continue reading
More symptoms of The Francis Effect™.
Now that we have the most wonderfullest and fluffiest Pope ehvur, people’s true colors seem to be emerging. It is as if they are rushing to prove the old adage: Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.
But that … Continue reading
Over here I posted about the new G8 that Pope Francis will call together in October. They are supposedly to help with alterations to the constitution called Pastor bonus, that governs the Roman Curia.
We all agree that reform of the … Continue reading
I no longer have the big and varied feeders that I once did at The Sabine Farm, but I do have a small feeder on the window here at the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue.
As result I don’t have the … Continue reading
It was once customary for bishops to sport after their names the “D.D.” of the “Doctor of Divinity” degree. Whenever I see that designation I think of a limerick I learned from the late Msgr. Richard Schuler…
There once was a … Continue reading
You may have heard, but the Pope created a few more Cardinals today, 22 to be exact, though several are over 80 years of age and therefore cannot enter or vote in a conclave.
Each cardinal is assigned a church in … Continue reading
I have received several queries about what would happen if, before the upcoming consistory and the “creation” of the new cardinals, the Holy Father were to – quod Deus avertat – die.
Would the men whose names were already announced be … Continue reading
My old mentor Msgr. Schuler used to ask the unwary: “What’s the difference between a priest and a monsignor? … None. But often the monsignor doesn’t know it.”
To be made a cardinal of Holy Church brings with the office some … Continue reading
Here are a few screenshots from the live Z-CAM which I have running again. I still have some technical problems, but it is running. I have chaplets of the Rosary in Latin, prayers for the Pope, and other prayers.
And I … Continue reading
A couple of WDTPRS’s favorite Cardinals will soon be taking possession of their cardinalatial titles in Rome:
Sabato 5 febbraio 2011, alle ore 18.30, l’Em.mo Cardinale Raymond Leo Burke, Prefetto del Supremo Tribunale della Segnatura Apostolica, prenderà possesso della … Continue reading