HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- chesterton63: An interestin g article by Sandro Magister about the upcoming synod: http://mag ister.blog autore.esp resso.repu bblica.it/ 2019/06/20 /the-amazo n-train-ha s-pulled-o ut-next...
- chesterton63: While I think that the two hosts in subject were actually unconsecra ted (why someone would take the risk of stealing consecrate d hosts just to leave them unattended in a book?), I...
- Uxixu: Good start, but should really put an interdict on the school. The Regulars couldnR 17;t stay without risking censure.
- mepoindexter: Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us.
- Benedict Joseph: The bright lights looking to eradicate celibacy in the Latin Rite might make themselves aware of the dearth of “voc ationsR 21; among men to the Protestant ministry. We...
- Just Some Guy: I’m glad that Rome is employing representa tives from the Madison, Omaha, Charlotte, and Guadalajar a Jalisco to discuss how to boost vocations in a particular area… ; Oh...
- Kerry: carndt, you might like ‘The First HeroesR 17;, about the Doolittle raiders. Jacob DeShazer survived Japanese captivity, and returned to Japan as a missionary as well. IIRC, he may...
- Benedict Joseph: As you said, Father Z, regarding another issue today, “ 230; remember that God cannot be deceived when it comes to motives. 8221; I’m afraid this piece of wisdom...
- Greg Hlatky: Once in his shop a workman wrought With languid hand, and listless thought, When through the open windowR 17;s space Behold! – a Camel thrust his face. “My nose is...
- carndt: After just finishing the book on Fr. Gereon Goldmann, OFM is truly amazing. After his ordeal during WWII he dedicates himself to be a missionary in Japan. Book title,” The Shadow of His...
- ArthurH: Two comments 8211; both brief: 1) It MAY be the practice to have married priests in some Eastern rites and other special exceptions , but as a married man who once thought of becoming a...
- Lurker 59: 1.) I have never met nor read online any Catholic married man opining that they would immediatel y enter seminary if the Church allowed for married priests in the Roman Rite. 2.) When we...
- Greg Hlatky: I attend an SSPX chapel in Dickinson, TX on Holy Days of Obligation . To get to my own parish on a weekday would mean fighting through horrible traffic on the west side of Houst...
- Hidden One: Just waiting for someone to erroneousl y assert that you can’ t fulfill your obligation by attending an Ordinary Form Mass offered by a priest ordained since the Council. Boing!
- Amerikaner: 1. If there are no vocations there, then fix the vocations problem and don’ t introduce ordination for married men. Shore up the liturgy and the faith and the vocations will come....
- Hidden One: Sometimes it is difficult to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, as charity requires, but I’m going to keep trying.
- robtbrown: Addendum: Two of the members of the Curia with their heads in the sand were Cardinals Sodano and Re.
- robtbrown: 1. The news in the CM is not the stories. Many of us have heard the same for some years. Rather, the news is that CM has documents referring to them. 2. Whatever the objections to...
- APX: About 20 years ago when I was in Catholic school there was a larger unconsecra ted…I’ll call it an altar host…tacke d above the blackboard in each room. Sounds tacky.
- TonyO: I don’ t see what there is to be puzzled about: Fr. Rosica is, basically, an idiot. A useful idiot, most likely (at least at times, like doberman dogs are useful at times), but someone...
- firstname.lastname@example.org: That is exactly the first thing that came to mind when I read it, what if there were a catastroph ic occurence and societal breakdown, and capital punishment was necessary to...
- email@example.com: Me too. This Pope is sowing confusion and division. Scripture says that God is not the author of confusion. I have also read he doesn̵ 7;t have the authority to change the...
- Ben Kenobi: I saw the photos that Dr. J had of you and her, so was wondering what the view on the other side was like. :)
- mburn16: I also suspect these were unconsecra ted hosts used as some sort of sacramenta l prep. About 20 years ago when I was in Catholic school there was a larger unconsecra ted… I’...
- ArsAstronautica: I tend to agree with Fr. Z. here, this practice of communion in the hand has led to all sorts of problems. I will not belabor the point since others have said it eloquently . I do,...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Earthquake at near Rome – 20:43:47 (UTC) Magnitude 3.4 at a depth of 5 KM – @ Colonna, Italy
- VIDEO Fr @GeraldMurray8 and Dr @RobertSRoyal analyze hot-button issues
- ASK FATHER: Can I really fulfill my Mass obligation at an SSPX chapel?
- Concerning the upcoming Synod, Germans and Tapirs
- ACTION ITEM: How you can help defend the Seal of Confession in California
- “This ‘Communion in the hand’ thing needs to stop.”
- Shades of Windswept House
- #ActonU 2019 Day 4: Great people… great content
- Archd. of Indianapolis says Jesuit school isn’t Catholic
- #ActonU 2019 Day 1 = Day 3: getting up to speed
- ASK FATHER: Do we receive also the Holy Spirit in Communion?
- ASK FATHER: Obligation to attend the local parish instead of going somewhere else
- Online Shopping Reminder and BIRETTA PROJECT
- Blistering NRO piece flames the recent USCCB meeting
- ASK FATHER: Trying to translate prayers into Latin, but I don’t trust Google
- Lib ‘c’atholic outcry in … 3… 2… 1
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- Fr Rosica, amazing papal claims, and resignations
- Priest apologizes to traditional Catholics: “The future of the Church is in her past.”
- ASK FATHER: Is a concelebrated Mass just one Mass or several Masses?
- NOVENA FOR SEMINARIANS – from Corpus Christi to Sacred Heart, with a Marian Consecration
- A Solemn Mass in Albany in the presence of the bishop. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Thoughts about the change to CCC 2267 on the death penalty
- Chilean priest’s episcopal consecration axed because of some comments
- Canonist Ed Peters eviscerates bishops – one in particular – who won’t apply law
- USCCB meets. They talk about the “nones”. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- New “Chernobyl” TV show and the End Times
- A “Catholic Signal Corps” – Thinking about a Catholic digital future and this blog
- ASK FATHER: Traditional aspergillum or “whisk”?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: cardinals
At the English site of Vatican Radio we find the names of the soon-to-be Cardinals. There is something rather odd in the list. (Vatican Radio) Pope Francis on Sunday announced a consistory for the creation of new Cardinals. He made … Continue reading
Declaration of Council of 9 Cardinals: “adhesion and loyalty to the figure of the Pope and to his Magisterium”
This is from the Bolletino: Declaration of the Council of Cardinals, 13.02.2017 The Council of Cardinals began its eighteenth session today. At the beginning, Cardinal Oscar Andrés Rodríguez Maradiaga, coordinator of the group, after greeting the Holy Father, thanked him … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters looks into the issue of the excommunication incurred by a cardinal elector who “canvasses” for votes in the context of a papal conclave. HERE I won’t, here, get into Dr. Peter’s proposal that automatic (late sententiae) excommunication should … Continue reading
A reader asked about “Ray”. “Ray” is every Cardinal (the member of the finch family) who has occasionally appeared on these electronic pages. Since I moved from the Sabine Farm to the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue, I have not … Continue reading
Today the Holy Father named new Cardinals, including: The Pontiff made the announcement during his Angelus address in St Peter’s Square this morning. The Pope named 15 other voting cardinals: – Archbishop Pietro Parolin, Vatican Secretary of State; – Archbishop … Continue reading
Pope Francis says something like: “We need a deeper theology of women.” What liberals hear: “The Pope is going to name women cardinals!” That Francis might create females cardinals is patently absurd. The cartoon, by the way, is from this … Continue reading
More symptoms of The Francis Effect™. Now that we have the most wonderfullest and fluffiest Pope ehvur, people’s true colors seem to be emerging. It is as if they are rushing to prove the old adage: Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses. … Continue reading
Over here I posted about the new G8 that Pope Francis will call together in October. They are supposedly to help with alterations to the constitution called Pastor bonus, that governs the Roman Curia. We all agree that reform of … Continue reading
I no longer have the big and varied feeders that I once did at The Sabine Farm, but I do have a small feeder on the window here at the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue. As result I don’t have … Continue reading
It was once customary for bishops to sport after their names the “D.D.” of the “Doctor of Divinity” degree. Whenever I see that designation I think of a limerick I learned from the late Msgr. Richard Schuler… There once was … Continue reading
You may have heard, but the Pope created a few more Cardinals today, 22 to be exact, though several are over 80 years of age and therefore cannot enter or vote in a conclave. Each cardinal is assigned a church … Continue reading
I have received several queries about what would happen if, before the upcoming consistory and the “creation” of the new cardinals, the Holy Father were to – quod Deus avertat – die. Would the men whose names were already announced … Continue reading
My old mentor Msgr. Schuler used to ask the unwary: “What’s the difference between a priest and a monsignor? … None. But often the monsignor doesn’t know it.” To be made a cardinal of Holy Church brings with the office … Continue reading
Here are a few screenshots from the live Z-CAM which I have running again. I still have some technical problems, but it is running. I have chaplets of the Rosary in Latin, prayers for the Pope, and other prayers. And … Continue reading
A couple of WDTPRS’s favorite Cardinals will soon be taking possession of their cardinalatial titles in Rome: Sabato 5 febbraio 2011, alle ore 18.30, l’Em.mo Cardinale Raymond Leo Burke, Prefetto del Supremo Tribunale della Segnatura Apostolica, prenderà possesso della Diaconia … Continue reading