Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- APX: I can understand how a grieving family could have heard something other than what was being said. Grief and emotions can do that to a person, but I do think it’s unfair for them and the media...
- Nathan: While I’m unqualifie d to comment on the particular s of this incident, it strikes me as indicative of the very difficult position that good parish priests are in, given the Situat...
- Sue: I just read the text of the homily. How sad the parents missed the hopeful, compassion ate message. I printed it out to keep in the event that someone I know takes their life. I thought it was...
- YoungLatinMassGuy: As one who has suffered, and still suffers, from extreme depression , and has been deep in nihilistic existentia l crises contemplat ing eternal oblivion after death, I have only...
- Chuck4247: Also missing here is the context of how this priest had been preaching prior to this at the regular Masses: If Father was normally a true fire-and-b rimstone preacher from the pulpit,...
- Akita: After update of December 17th: Father, help me. Is the visible, institutio nal church the “ape” church? Will faithful, diocesan priests be increasing ly humiliated publicly by their episco...
- Legisperitus: L.: You have a pointless water feature during Advent? My sincere sympathies . I had thought those wretched things were mercifully confined to Paschaltid e. Hope it isn’ t...
- DMorgan: How long Oh Lord?
- e.e.: CNN has a document online that seems to be the entire text of the homily, released by the archdioces e: https://cd n.cnn.com/ cnn/2018/i mages/12/1 6/father.l acuesta.ho mily.maiso n.hulli...
- e.e.: Did anyone else see the N.Y. Times article about this? It actually includes some quotes from the homilyR 30; https://ww w.nytimes. com/2018/1 2/16/us/ma ison-hulli barger-sui cide-fu...
- richiedel: Grabski, That’ ;s called the Penitentia l Act and it’s part of the Mass, not a service unto itself. And, if it were a sort of communal reconcilia tion service, such would then...
- NBW: Unfortunat ely the spirit of Vatican II lives on. There is not one mention of the name Jesus. It is total rubbish and I feel sorry for my brothers and sisters that have to endure that kind of...
- Ellen: This is so bizarre our local Unitarian- Universali st church would probably pass on it.
- LarryW2LJ: Our parish Advent Penance Service was this past Saturday morning. 4 Confession als occupied and lines were pleasantly long. It was good to see so many come out for “rea lR...
- William: I assume that this is followed by a general absolution and no individual auricular confession .
- acardnal: I betcha ten bucks there is a so called “min ister of liturgy 221; at this parish.
- majuscule: So is the phrase “and do something different” supposed to take the place of “to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life”?
- e.e.: @cafea Our parish has blue vestments, and we’re in the USA. We also have 3 blue ribbons on the Advent wreath, 3 blue banners hung on the doors, etc. It’s actually an attractive shade, but...
- Fr. Reader: @cafea I have seen it in Mexico. 90% blue.
- _Dan_: Not sure which is worse, this or the hellish cacophony of the “chi ldren̵ 7;s bell choir̶ 1; we had to endure during mass yesterday at our parish.
- WmHesch: Would the correspond ent be good as to let us know whether this thing ended with an Option 3 General Absolution ?
- JGavin: “Tha t is true. As pastor, Fr. Grinch has the right to be as ignorant and as obtuse as he wishes. 221; I would respectful ly disagree. This attitude and deliberate ignorance of...
- Gregg the Obscure: Good point from homily: St. Paul’ ;s exhortatio n to rejoice in the Lord always is directed to each of us and we are without excuse if we neglect it.
- JonPatrick: I am happy to see my Magnificat I use for Evening Prayer includes the O antiphons starting this evening. Thanks Fr. Z!
- DMorgan: Thank you Father. Hope you are healing. You are in my prayers.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Priest preaches at funeral, world falls on his head – UPDATE – HOMILY TEXT
- 17 Dec: St. Daniel and the Furnace Boys
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 16: O Antiphons
- Advent Penance Service Idiocy
- POLL: Gaudete Rose Vestments and Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Pastor says “Gaudete Sunday, is no more”
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 15: Joyful Longing, Longing Joy
- UPDATE: Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- My View For Awhile: Limping Homeward
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Carmelites
In 1794, the Place de la Nation on the east side of Paris was called the Place du Trône-Renversé… Toppled Throne Square. In 1792 a guillotine was set up here and the killing began. Robespierre and Barère made terror an … Continue reading
The last time I played yenta for a group of sisters looking for a chaplain, the results were pretty good! HERE
Today I received a note from Mother Mary Bethany OCD, of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Georgetown, California (D. Sacramento).
They need a … Continue reading
There are several groups of sisters whom I like to support. I just received a note from another: the Carmelites of Port Tobacco.
Frankly, I had to look that up to see if it was a real place and group. It … Continue reading
From my email:
Thanks for all you do. I’ve enjoyed your blog for years.
I’m just contacting you to spread word of a new religious community starting which is called the Hermits of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (“Eremitae Dominae Nostrae De … Continue reading
This is pretty cool. A friend alerted me to this video of a young woman entering a Carmel.
You young women out there, think about it.
I don’t think that God is calling fewer women per capita to religious life than … Continue reading
I get questions from young women interested in religious life but with a traditional expression. I received this and thought to share it with you.
Hello Fr. Z!
I hope all is going well. When I saw you recently in DC, … Continue reading
It is “Cyber Monday”, as the online retailers are calling it!
I guess this is a secular money day of obligation.
Okay… now that you are online… buy some …
Mystic Monk Coffee!
There are so many good reasons to refresh or build … Continue reading
Other than the fact that I get a commission every time you buy Mystic Monk Coffee using my links… and please, I ask you to do so, because it really helps… this video will also show you why I like … Continue reading
From a reader:
Father Z, don’t forget to let everyone know that Mystic Monk has great tea!
I’m abstaining from coffee (decaf) until Obama leaves office!
I’ve been off for 2 months. God bless you!
Did you know that the Wyoming Carmelites also have … Continue reading
The Carmelite men of the Carmel of the Immaculate Heart of Mary are building their monastery in Wyoming and earning their daily bread by roasting, blending, and selling you coffee and tea.
Their seasonal Pascha Java is back at Mystic Monk … Continue reading
Need another reason to buy Mystic Monk Coffee? As if my requests weren’t enough? As if helping Wyoming Carmelites wasn’t enough?
In news that will come as a heavy blow to many coffee lovers, Starbucks has officially backed homosexual ‘marriage.’
You … Continue reading
You may not have noticed, but I have been pushing Mystic Monk Coffee, sold by a new group of Carmelite monks in northern Wyoming. I have done this to help with their cash flow before they begin to build their … Continue reading
From a reader:
Your readers might want to know that there is a strongly vocal minority in the Meeteetse area of Wyoming that is trying to delay or even block the Carmelite Monks from building their monastery. One public hearing has … Continue reading