Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- GregB: The Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel has a link to the last Fatima apparition during the Miracle of the Sun. The three children saw a series of visions, one of which was of Our Lady...
- Andrew: A Romano senatu venit edictum, ut posthac liberum sit cuique vesci, quibus velit. Per me quidem vel LIMACIBUS vescatur, qui volet. (Erasmus: Colloquia)
- Grateful to be Catholic: Father, stop, you are killing me. Snails in garlicky butter, or is it buttery garlic, to be sopped up with fresh, crusty bread: to die for! My father once went to a resta...
- LarryW2LJ: I had escargot only once in my life. Maybe it was just me; but I sensed no distinct flavor other than the garlic butter they were served in. I know that people tend to get put off,...
- Grant M: “Go to any Novus Ordo Mass and see the proportion of young people to old people”. Well, location, location, location. One Sunday morning last year I attended the NO Mass at a parish in...
- richiedel: In addition to its nearness to the solstice, another reason why we celebrate the feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist on June 24 is that it’s six months before Christm...
- Lorra: My priest said that without sanctifyin g grace, even if you saved a man from drowning, that heroic and charitable act will avail you nothing for Eternal Life.
- frjim4321: Parables aren’ ;t allegories , they are lessons with an intentiona l point. We’r e not free to just say what they mean for “me, ” Today, it’s clear that...
- JamesA: Very proud to say that St. Mary Cathedral is my home parish. Neither of the two priests (fine men, both) are traditiona lists, and neither is our bishop, but God bless them for offering the...
- Prayerful: Fr decided to speak about FatherR 17;s Day, rather than specifical ly concentrat e on the words from the Gospel of Luke, that we’v e three fathers, our Heavenly Father, our...
- James in Perth: Great comments and I heartily agree that the Church will be much better off moving back towards a more traditiona l liturgy. That said, most parishes that I have attended are quite...
- teomatteo: Was your mother Italian? [No, my mother is not Italian.]
- Grateful to be Catholic: Mmmmm. Looks good. I will have to try these. I have found that the trick to frying eggplant, which I do for ratatouill e, is not to give it all the olive oil it wants as it...
- JustaSinner: Just purchased an obsidian with delicate rose buds as the major beads in the beginning. Very delicate, and quite feminine I may add… but have always thought of the rosary as...
- LarryW2LJ: Thanks for the solution. Fr. I hadn’ ;t been checking the comments. Way back in the deep, dark recesses of my memory, I knew I had seen one of these before! And that was way back in...
- semperficatholic: Fr. Z’s link was good. June 13th was also the second visit of Our Lady of Fatima to the three children. :)
- Fr. Reader: It was not the same in all languages. In other languages the sacrificia l and expiatory language was more present. As a non native English speaker, the first few times I attended the...
- Gregg the Obscure: OF. The mustard seed is indeed a small seed that produces a large plant. Once planted, it not only grows, but it spreads and produces more plants. An active faith will simila...
- JonPatrick: If the Traditiona l Mass isn’ t the future, then what is? Go to any Novus Ordo Mass and see the proportion of young people to old people. I am 68 and the majority of people that...
- JonPatrick: When I saw the heading “Fr. Z’s Kitchen: the South̶ 1; I thought we were in for fried chicken, collard greens and hush puppies and was pleasantly surprised. I should try...
- exNOAAman: “No coincidenc es”; OLoF statue; scapular,. This guy’ s a politician ? I’m impressed.
- JonPatrick: Byzantine Rite, Melkite Greek Catholic Church. There are only 2 places in scripture where Jesus is “ama zed” one a negative one, when he is amazed at the lack of faith of...
- Absit invidia: You’ ve likely already seen them, but there are some handy tools that you can try to shave off some time: the lemon press here … and the garlic press here – …...
- Grant M: Sometime in the early 70’s: ICEL translator : ‘Gee, these Latin prayers shore are difficult! Wish I’d paid more attention in Latin class instead of reading Playdude under my desk… Ah...
- richiedel: I, too, was struck by the direct wording of the Secret when following the Mass today. Happy FatherR 17;s Day, Fr. Z.!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
- Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- Disturbing short film “The Confession” that somehow won Catholic award
- Father’s Day gift idea – from the “hearts”
- PHILIPPINES: To arm priests or not to arm?
- ASK FATHER: What does the comma really say?
- The Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: CHA
Qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent.
From Catholic World News:
President Obama will be keynote speaker at Catholic Health Association convention
President Barack Obama will deliver the closing address to the annual assembly of the Catholic Health Association (CHA), the organization has … Continue reading
Here are a couple of POLLS for you readers in these USA.
And as you choose your answer, I want you all to remember the Nuns on the Bus, the CHA and Sr. Keehan, and the USCCB, all of whom lobbied … Continue reading
From Seattle Times. Here is how the secular press views the bone-head BS stupid move of the Catholic Health Ass.
When you hear the words Catholic Health Association you should start thinking:
And now the news:
Catholic hospitals accept birth control compromise
In a … Continue reading
First I found Pres. Obama declaring “Religious Freedom” Day. Now I find Sr. Carol Keehan openly defending the unborn?
Sr. Carol Keehan: Sandy Hook ‘Separate Issue’ But ‘Abortion Takes the Life of an Innocent Child’
By Patrick Burke
(CNSNews.com) — Sister Carol … Continue reading
From a reader:
Hello Father! An examination of conscience asks, “Have I spoken against a priest, or against anyone consecrated to God? (This is a sacrilege).” I am not sure what constitutes “speaking against”, but I have made fun of the … Continue reading
Catholic Health Ass.’s proposal (about what a religious institution is) could make things worse, not better.
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
I am sure you have heard that Sr. Carol “GIVE BACK THAT PEN!” Keehan of the Catholic Health Ass., which gave cover to pro-abortion catholic Democrats so they could vote for Obamacare, pushed back at … Continue reading
Someone just sent me a copy of the CHA’s letter to the Health and Human Services Department (HHS) of The First Gay President’s administration.
It seems that Sr Carol “GIVE BACK THAT PEN” Keehan, the CHA head and Pres. Obama’s – … Continue reading
Carl Olson at Catholic World Report has a good piece to which I direct your attention:
The CWR Blog
The Emptiness and Deceit of Cave-in “Catholicism”
March 21, 2012 06:20 EST
By Carl E. Olson
“The Bishops speak for the Catholic and apostolic faith, and those … Continue reading
A lot of liberals whined about the Apostolic Visitation of communities of women religious.
“Why should they have to be subjected to this investigation?”, they whinnied.
I didn’t catch this the other day, 10Feb, but it doesn’t surprise in the least.
From the … Continue reading
Jack Lew, White House Chief of Staff, was on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace. He was also on Meet The Press.
It was a stark lesson in exactly what I have been talking about with my phrase “The Magisterium of … Continue reading
Even before Pres. Obama made the announcement that he is taking his “Plan B” pill, an exponent of the Magisterium of Nuns, Sr. Carol Keehan of the Catholic Health Association (which – against the US bishops – gave cover to … Continue reading
From Catholic Vote comes this shocker… yes.. I’m shocked! shocked! to find duplicity in this party!
Efforts by the watchdog group Judicial Watch to demand that Justice Elena Kagan recuse herself when Obamacare is brought before the Supreme Court later this … Continue reading
I saw this on CNS. My emphases and comments.
First, you might review this: the Magisterium of Nuns (and this).
CHA president affirms bishop’s role in interpreting health directives [Uh huh.]
By Nancy Frazier O’Brien
Catholic News Service
WASHINGTON (CNS) — In an exchange of … Continue reading
We have seen this movie before, and it ain’t The Bells of St. Mary’s.
The conflict in Phoenix between Bp. Thomas Olmsted and St. Joseph’s Hospital exemplifies a deeper problem, which more and more is going to tear the unity of … Continue reading
The other day I posted a little entry about how the “Magisterium of Nuns” is making war on the American bishops. The liberal sisters, who have compromised their Catholic identity, are trying to set up an alternative magisterium over and … Continue reading