Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- MB: Hmmm. Life and liberty are human rights. Health care, food and water are things you have to work to procure for yourself. If someone helps you procure these things, it’s called chari...
- Fr. Reader: @Adriennep “we all” ?
- hwriggles4: Fr. Z: Have a safe trip. Sounds like you are feeling a little better. I traveled with my dad when he had some difficulty getting around. Delta was helpful in utilizing a wheelchair if...
- ocleirbj: Re: ” If he is not attracted to marriage, then giving up marriage isn’t a sacrifice. If he is celibate, unmarried, even if there is abstinence in body, the homosexual ’s attitude of...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- JonPatrick: Thanks Fr. Z! Apparently there is some wacky perfesser (who else) that is going around saying that God is a sexual predator or something like that because he forced himself on the...
- JonPatrick: It was thanks to your blog that I learned about Mystic Monk Coffee!! I was (and still am) a regular reader of National Catholic Register (the one not used to wrap fish) on the web and...
- JonPatrick: I have Peter Kwasniewsk i’s book on my Stack of Stuff to Read, can’ t wait to get to it.
- Prayerful: John the Baptist questioned Our Lord as to whether he was the Messiah, not out of ignorance (examples given), but as he knew his followers would soon no longer have him to lead them.
- JonPatrick: At our Byzantine Divine Liturgy the Gospel was of the woman that was bent over that Jesus cured on the Sabbath thereby incurring the wrath of the Pharisees. What was causing the woman...
- JonPatrick: Since the school I went to was called a Latin School I naturally had to endure 4 years of Latin which at the time I couldnR 17;t wait to get over with so I could get to the cool...
- iPadre: I talked about light as an Advent theme. Relating how moved I was during our Solemn Mass by candleligh t as I saw the sun begin to rise over the horizon. Our Lord tells us that He is the...
- Ben Kenobi: Two comments, two sides of the same coin. “Why doesn’t the LGBTQCDUAL AASASMFUNP VC (ALL The perversion s must be given their ‘due’) form their own church and bother the Protest...
- monstrance: Fr Z, Just mapped Ha Ha’s. – says it’s in Brooklyn. Is there a Manhattan locale ?
- SAHMmy: SawyerR 17;s comment notwithsta nding, I love hearing you call Ann Barnhardt your friend.
- Akita: Dear Father Z., You are the most holy multi-task er imaginable . Priest, chef, linguist, bird-watch er, apologist, confessor, celebrant, blogger, son, etc. I’ve loved your blog for well over...
- youngcatholicgirl: I heard one from a seminarian about a bishop who, in trying to say, “Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum ”, said, “Sit Nomen Domini Benedictus ”. The MC whisper...
- hwriggles4: Quite a few of our Protestant brethren are struggling with the LGBT issue. This summer, the Methodist church (my dad was a lifelong Methodist) had a convocatio n that was discuss...
- L.: Unfortunat ely, I think that the first requiremen t-often unfulfille d- for Priests in English-sp eaking Latin Rite Catholic Churches is command of the English Language.
- rollingrj: Belated happy blogoversa ry! (Fedora doff.) Like many of your readers, I have learned so much, been challenged and consoled in my personal and spiritual life, and inspired to make some...
- TonyO: I took Latin I in high school. Unfortunat ely, due to schedule conflicts, I could not take Latin II, and ended up with Italian I and Spanish I. So I am illiterate in 3 languages. But I still...
- adriennep: Yes, even in public schools in the 1960s, Latin was still taught and required for the really smart students, because it was the standard for true education. Even in 1969 Berkeley High....
- teomatteo: ” he has only weakened what little hope LGBTQ Catholics still have for his pontificat e.”& #8211;Jami e The lady doth whineth too much. I heard of a Q-gospel but never heard of no...
- WGS: Years ago, I came across the expression “a mumpsimus priestR 21;. For a bit of a laugh, look it up.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
- VIDEO – Funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- Latin Mass Society of England & Wales @latinmassuk – Re-upping!
- Recent Registration
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus
- New art from Daniel MITSUI – great gift idea
- After the funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- ASK FATHER: Can we cook with or drink Holy Water?
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 04: Your God of the Second Chance
- Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- TAMPA: A TLM at a Jesuit school?!?
- The Exequies for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 03: “take heed of the example of the prince of rebellion”
- And now a message from fictional priest Fr. Charles “Chuck” O’Malley
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 02: The time of silent apostasy
- My View For Awhile: Au revoir Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 01: Exceeding great Love
- ASK FATHER: Why should a Protestant convert and join the Catholic Church?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: China
This is… unsettling.
China fires SIX WARNINGS to US Navy in South China Sea ‘This is China…LEAVE IMMEDIATELY’
THE Chinese military told a US Navy plane flying over the highly-disputed island in the South China Sea to “leave immediately”.
The US Navy … Continue reading
Tonight I watched The Last Train Home.
UK link HERE
Long-time readers here know that I keep an eye on Chinese films. This is a documentary about the 130+ million migrant workers in China who strive to return home for the important New … Continue reading
I hope you will all stop what you are doing right now and say a prayer to St. Michael the Archangel to protect our brothers and sisters in China, and then say a prayer to Our Lady of China, perhaps … Continue reading
From Vatican Insider:
Cardinal Zen says destruction of the Catholic Church continues in China
Despite the hopes raised by Pope Francis’ election, Sino-Vatican relations are still at a standstill. China’s new leader, Xi Jinping, has not kept his promises and the Chinese … Continue reading
From a friend from back in my native Minnesota who has been living in China for some years now. He is Catholic and has been doing his best. It seems that he is helping to build where he is something … Continue reading
SOLAR FLARE ALERT! But don’t worry, because “Firedrake Keeps You Safe”! (Short Wave and Ham Radio Fun)
A convergence of events drives me yet again to post, on this bloggily-productive day.
First, a TEOTWAWKI Solar Flare, Coronal Mass Ejection and resulting grid killing EMP may be coming….
ACTIVE SUNSPOT: One of the biggest sunspots of the current solar … Continue reading
The full, online, digital edition of the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, has some excellent pieces this week. I found this one particularly engaging, giving my penchant for Chinese cinema.
You can subscribe to the digital, full-edition of the … Continue reading
The UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, has a piece online which gives a glimpse of the Church in the USA during Pres. Obama’s third term. Obama would probably love to have, I am sure, an American Patriotic Catholic Association … Continue reading
Vatican lauds ordination of China’s missing bishop
Vatican City, Jul 10, 2012 / 04:29 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The Vatican has praised the approved ordination of a Chinese bishop, who is now missing after announcing his split from the state-run Catholic … Continue reading
In your charity will you stop and pray for this man?
Restrictions in place for bishop’s funeral
Officials say ‘no’ to honoring status of Changzhi prelate who died last week
ucanews.com reporter, Changzhi
May 30, 2012Government officials have barred the Church community from … Continue reading
Day of Prayer for the Church in China
Thursday, May 24th is a day dedicated in a special way to the liturgical memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians, venerated with great devotion at the Shrine of Sheshan … Continue reading
If Pres. Obama has his way, this will coming to a neighborhood near you.
From the Beeb:
China to overhaul ‘threatening’ one-child slogans
By Viv Marsh
China is to overhaul the sometimes threatening slogans used to enforce its one-child policy, the authorities have … Continue reading
Appeal to authorities for Chinese New Year: release of three bishops and of six priests who have disappeared
I hope other bloggers will pick this up and share it with their own readers.
Perhaps after reading this you could stop for a moment and say a Memorare for the missing priests and bishops as well as for the softening … Continue reading
News from the embattled Church in Eastern Asia. First, this from CWN with my emphases:
Cardinal Zen rips Beijing’s bid to control Catholic Church
July 26, 2011
Cardinal Joseph Zen has denounced the “preposterous and ridiculous” efforts by the Chinese government to exert … Continue reading
Just as the Patriotic (state run) Church in Communist China is planning to consecrate a few more bishops, here, I read at CWN that …
Leaders of Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association meets with Brazilian bishops, propose dialogue
A delegation from China’s government-backed … Continue reading