Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- M. K.: I’m ambivalent about the article – I suppose it’s nice to see Commonweal say anything remotely positive about traditiona l liturgy, but the authorR 17;s comments about...
- The Astronomer: The commonly-e xperienced venacular Novus Ordo is ‘eas y’ in the sense that it can be compared to a popular movie you’ ve seen a hundred times, like Star Wars or...
- Semper Gumby: stephen c: Interestin g anecdote about GKC, laughter, and Jesus. GKC probably did take himself too seriously sometimes. Thus, for levity, his essay on Cheese. Here’ ;s how he...
- Ave Maria: The TLM is for all! And I believe it is our future.
- Semper Gumby: robtbrown wrote: “The pope is referring not to ancient gnosticism but rather to a version of it that arose in the rationalis m of the Enlightenm ent: Reason usurped the Faith....
- taylorhall95: Yes! Fr Laforet is a wonderful priest! Let us pray that the semi-regul ar TLMs he offers in College Station will soon become regular, every Sunday TLMs!
- taylorhall95: I am currently attending the Latin Mass in Austin, TX while I’m here for the summer. The mass is really well attended by young families, and is very reverent! I read the article and...
- Benedict Joseph: They deny the credence of their own experience . This is an example from the microcosm of the reality the entire Church is living through. We are clinging to a lie in the face of a...
- DeGaulle: Lorra astutely quotes the authorR 17;s opinion that ‘ 230;I don’ t think it’s the future of the ChurchR 30;’ . Why, then, the extraordin ary efforts of...
- Fr. Reader: @Ivan. By chance, are you Ivan Mi Je Ime? I met you somewhere else recently 8230; ?
- ServusChristi: Yes, tradition succeeds where it’s tried because its origins are within the unity of the Catholic church and aren’ ;t tarnished by outside religions or sects. As a priest...
- Blackfriar: An almost identical gadget is still in use on St BlaiseR 17;s Day at St Patrick 217;s Basilica in Ottawa.
- RichR: The Latin Mass at the Cathedral was presided over by Fr. Albert LaForet (now our pastor in College Station 230;..and we love him!). While rector at the Cathedral, he oversaw the GORGE...
- robtbrown: CIC 986
- robtbrown: Fr Z says, [And yet now they validly absolve, they validly witness marriages (with cooperatio n with the diocese), people can fulfill their Mass obligation s at their Masses… one of the...
- stephen c: sempergumb y – Chesterton has made me laugh many times, and the cows calling a conference is hilarious. What a wonderful human being he (Chesterto n) was. Sometime I wonder about...
- FrAnt: “The English mass is too easy.” Wow, that is what I have been feeling all this time, but could not put it into words. I’m going to need some time to process this revelation . Thanks for...
- Dimitri_Cavalli: A few years ago, one Commonweal contributo r suggested that if the altar is turned around again, people will wonder what the priest is doing. Maybe 10 years ago, atheist Susan...
- JesusFreak84: I’m one of those elusive females with ADD, and can confirm I can focus in a TLM or Divine Liturgy faaaaaaar more than I can in the OF Masses. (I admit some of this might be the...
- Lorra: “ 230; I don’t think it’s the future of the churchR 30;” I very much disagree with the author. The new Mass will fade away eventually . It may be offered in the future the...
- wmeyer: Lee Gilbert, I noticed, as well, that there is no rosary on her page which seems designed for a man. There is a contact link at the top of her page, though, and I would guess she may be...
- TonyO: Many of these old cathedrals would (and should) qualify for “her itage̶ 1; status and have protection on them under civil law. You can bet that if they were Native American build...
- Charivari Rob: Interestin g to hear what it actually is. I had considered and dismissed candle-hol der options, on the grounds that you don’ t see many things (with any permanence ) that...
- Ivan: “Whe re tradition is tried, it seems to work.̶ 1; Yes! I dare to say, wherever is the TLM, the Mass of all Ages tried, there must be significan t feeling of increase of the prese...
- robtbrown: The pope is referring not to ancient gnosticism but rather to a version of it that arose in the rationalis m of the Enlightenm ent: Reason usurped the Faith. Its influence in the Church...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
- Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- Disturbing short film “The Confession” that somehow won Catholic award
- Father’s Day gift idea – from the “hearts”
- PHILIPPINES: To arm priests or not to arm?
- ASK FATHER: What does the comma really say?
- The Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- A “puzzled” and “surprise” Card. Kasper is “furious”
- Fulton Sheen’s body to return to his native Diocese of Peoria
- Who are the real Neo-Gnostics?
- 8 June: Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: China
Tonight I watched The Last Train Home.
UK link HERE
Long-time readers here know that I keep an eye on Chinese films. This is a documentary about the 130+ million migrant workers in China who strive to return home for the important New … Continue reading
I hope you will all stop what you are doing right now and say a prayer to St. Michael the Archangel to protect our brothers and sisters in China, and then say a prayer to Our Lady of China, perhaps … Continue reading
From Vatican Insider:
Cardinal Zen says destruction of the Catholic Church continues in China
Despite the hopes raised by Pope Francis’ election, Sino-Vatican relations are still at a standstill. China’s new leader, Xi Jinping, has not kept his promises and the Chinese … Continue reading
From a friend from back in my native Minnesota who has been living in China for some years now. He is Catholic and has been doing his best. It seems that he is helping to build where he is something … Continue reading
SOLAR FLARE ALERT! But don’t worry, because “Firedrake Keeps You Safe”! (Short Wave and Ham Radio Fun)
A convergence of events drives me yet again to post, on this bloggily-productive day.
First, a TEOTWAWKI Solar Flare, Coronal Mass Ejection and resulting grid killing EMP may be coming….
ACTIVE SUNSPOT: One of the biggest sunspots of the current solar … Continue reading
The full, online, digital edition of the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, has some excellent pieces this week. I found this one particularly engaging, giving my penchant for Chinese cinema.
You can subscribe to the digital, full-edition of the … Continue reading
The UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, has a piece online which gives a glimpse of the Church in the USA during Pres. Obama’s third term. Obama would probably love to have, I am sure, an American Patriotic Catholic Association … Continue reading
Vatican lauds ordination of China’s missing bishop
Vatican City, Jul 10, 2012 / 04:29 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The Vatican has praised the approved ordination of a Chinese bishop, who is now missing after announcing his split from the state-run Catholic … Continue reading
In your charity will you stop and pray for this man?
Restrictions in place for bishop’s funeral
Officials say ‘no’ to honoring status of Changzhi prelate who died last week
ucanews.com reporter, Changzhi
May 30, 2012Government officials have barred the Church community from … Continue reading
Day of Prayer for the Church in China
Thursday, May 24th is a day dedicated in a special way to the liturgical memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians, venerated with great devotion at the Shrine of Sheshan … Continue reading
If Pres. Obama has his way, this will coming to a neighborhood near you.
From the Beeb:
China to overhaul ‘threatening’ one-child slogans
By Viv Marsh
China is to overhaul the sometimes threatening slogans used to enforce its one-child policy, the authorities have … Continue reading
Appeal to authorities for Chinese New Year: release of three bishops and of six priests who have disappeared
I hope other bloggers will pick this up and share it with their own readers.
Perhaps after reading this you could stop for a moment and say a Memorare for the missing priests and bishops as well as for the softening … Continue reading
News from the embattled Church in Eastern Asia. First, this from CWN with my emphases:
Cardinal Zen rips Beijing’s bid to control Catholic Church
July 26, 2011
Cardinal Joseph Zen has denounced the “preposterous and ridiculous” efforts by the Chinese government to exert … Continue reading
Just as the Patriotic (state run) Church in Communist China is planning to consecrate a few more bishops, here, I read at CWN that …
Leaders of Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association meets with Brazilian bishops, propose dialogue
A delegation from China’s government-backed … Continue reading
From the most excellent Bishop of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Most Rev. Robert Finn, appearing on the blog of the Catholic Key. My emphases and comments.
Will China Buy Our Silence About Persecution of Catholics? – Bishop Finn
From the upcoming edition of … Continue reading