Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Gab: I really appreciate you doing these excellent podcasts, Father. Thank you. The descriptio n by St Ambrose of our Holy Mother is humbling. Very, very, humbling.
- robert hightower: Hello WmHesch, Beginning last year, certain FSSP parishes received permission to use the 1955 rites, one of which was Sacred Heart in the Fort Wayne, IN area. A friend of mine was...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- carndt: Thank you for sharing Daniel Mitsui’s Crucifixio n. He does such beautiful religious art. I have two of his drawings at home.
- WmHesch: I’m a big fan of a morning Easter Vigil when we fully restore the pre-1955 rites for two reasons: A) preservati on of the fast that begins with Good Friday; and B) let the actual celebra...
- andia: Prayers and fasting for Fr Rynne, and all priests
- VP: What a strange man.
- JamesA: I have never seen or heard of a pope doing something so uncharitab le. For many of those people, perhaps the only chance in a lifetime to meet the Roman Pontiff 230;and he does that. My...
- Sword40: About 13 years ago, our local pastor asked me if I could help him complete the last wishes of a parishione r who had just passed away. Seems he had gotten permission for a Requiem Mass....
- Amante de los Manuales: I noticed it especially starting at 1:12. Whatever the reason for it, it looks really, really bad.
- ex seaxe: This document :- http://www .diocesidi roma.it/ar chivio/201 9/cardinal e/19.03.01 .Lettera%2 0ai%20Sace rdoti%20su l%20Triduo %20Pasqual e.pdf?fbcl id=IwAR3TX nnEohKQexC xp9ucdx...
- Pius Admirabilis: I’m really struggling to retain composure. It does not matter whether the priest acted wrongly, if he is the greates jerk in history, and if Ms. Bennett is a real sweethe...
- Pius Admirabilis: Wow, Father, thank you for this article! That is honestly so cool! Just one question: You said that the “tra ditional 8221; point of time for the beginng of the Vigil...
- AureEntuluva: Thanks for such an in depth answer Father! Although I’m not the one who sent this question in, I recently wondered the same thing. I’m a bit concerned about my parish having the Vigil...
- mattheusmei: Perhaps cold and flu season is going pretty strong and this is an effort to prevent catching and or spreading contagions ?
- Kathleen10: This is appalling. I need more words. This is beyond the pale. These faithful Catholics are showing respect to the Petrine Office and are doing as Catholics have done for… how...
- Jerome Charles: This woman clearly has some unhealed spiritual wounds, and rather than mock that, as some here have, I hope the priest will exercise his pastoral skills and reach out to her to...
- ex seaxe: Yes, I agree entirely. But I had already left school before the 1955 reform of Holy Week. And for many hundreds of years the Church had been starting the Easter light and celebratin g...
- Austin Steele: I just can’t understand why he would treat the faithful in this way. People just want to show their respect for him and especially for the office that he holds. I know if that...
- Just Some Guy: Populus volunt venerari officium Pontificis Petri. Non volunt venarari Franciscum ipsum. Nescio si Franciscus cogitat quid significat annulae officii. Nescioque si cogitat dignita...
- Matthewp: So question. At the end of the Mass, some people managed to kiss the ring. Now I’m really confused! Why did he recoil at it one time and allow it in another???
- francophile: The only thing good about both of these videos is the act of celebratin g ad orientem. The rest… ;. a sad commentary on Italian liturgical life. Who wants to be a part of such a...
- Henry Edwards: According to Gregory DiPippo (here): “Prior to the Holy Week reform of 1955, the services of the Triduum were all anticipate d, so that the Tenebrae services, Matins and Lauds of the...
- Semper Gumby: Gaius Marius by DanW is my guess, but Fallibilis simo makes an interestin g point about Marcus Agrippa. In the waning years of the Roman Republic about 90 BC Gaius Marius was a...
- Bill Redic: This video, from Detroit Catholic, is even better:
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2019 21 – Tuesday of the 3rd Week of Lent: From the very threshold
- ALERT! Registration queue
- ASK FATHER: How early can the Easter Vigil begin?
- VIDEO: Francis’ Mass ad orientem at Loreto and… something else
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas
- LENTCAzT 2019 20 – Monday of the 3rd Week of Lent: The angel’s greeting to Mary
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci … with a quiz
- ASK FATHER: Bishop forces priest to use table altar instead of high altar for Extraordinary Form
- LENTCAzT 2019 19 – 3rd Sunday of Lent: Mass is not a souvenir
- Vicious letter to a young, faithful priest
- LENTCAzT 2019 18 – Saturday in the 2nd Week: God chooses the weak
- STOP THE PRESSES: Young people sing in the Illinois State Capitol
- Study Commission: no evidence women were ordained to the diaconate
- Your Good News – UPDATED
- Dots to connect
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2019 17 – Friday in the 2nd Week: The most efficacious devotion?
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: China
From the most excellent Bishop of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Most Rev. Robert Finn, appearing on the blog of the Catholic Key. My emphases and comments. Will China Buy Our Silence About Persecution of Catholics? – Bishop Finn From the upcoming … Continue reading
From VIS/News.va: Statement of the Holy See on the Episcopal Ordination in the Diocese of Shantou (Mainland China) [Note the distinction of “mainland”. The Holy See has diplomatic relations with Taiwan at a higher level than with the PRC.] The … Continue reading
A reader clued me into a story about another potential ecclesial train-wreck in poor China. From Sino Daily we read this, which originated with AFP: Chinese bishops ‘taken away’ by police: report (AFP) – 1 day ago VATICAN CITY — … Continue reading
From VIS: DECLARATION CONCERNING EPISCOPAL ORDINATIONS IN CHINA VATICAN CITY, 4 JUL 2011 (VIS) – The Holy See Press Office today released the following English-language communique concerning the episcopal ordination of Fr. Paul Lei Shiyin, which took place on Wednesday … Continue reading
From Agence France-Presse: China detains Vatican-backed Catholic priest (AFP) – 6 hours ago BEIJING — Chinese police detained a Vatican-backed Catholic priest and blocked his ordination as a bishop, a parishioner said Thursday, in a move likely to raise tensions … Continue reading
The gentlemanly Sando Magister has a must-read piece today at his site Chiesa called: Bishops Or Mandarins? The Dilemma of the Chinese Church. Here is the introductory section of Magister’s piece, just to give you some context. Then I will … Continue reading
A few days old, but this comes from Life News: Chinese Family Planning Official Kills Man Over Forced Sterilization by Steven Ertelt | Beijing, China | LifeNews.com | 4/7/11 1:53 PM Seeking to enforce the one-child policy that involves forced … Continue reading
Be sure to check this story at The Catholic Herald in their “Saint of the Week” feature. This week they focus on Joseph Freinademetz, priest, whose feast is today, 28 January. Fr. Freinademetz was a missionary to China who embraced … Continue reading
The Holy Father spoke about religious liberty in his recent “state of the world” speech to the diplomatic corps. I now want to draw your attention to an article in The Pilot, the newspaper of the Archdiocese of Boston. Think … Continue reading
In all seriousness. John Allen, the nearly ubiquituous, fair-minded writer for the ultra-lefty NCR has a piece about what is going on in China. Crackdown in China takes church ‘back to the time of Mao’ by John L Allen Jr … Continue reading
I would like today to remind Catholic readers in America, especially, to be thankful for the blessings of a still society and the still free exercise of religion. You have probably heard that there was a consecration of a bishop … Continue reading
From AsiaNews with Ucan with my emphases and comments: Priest arrested in Fujian for organizing winter camp for 300 university students Fr. John Baptist Luo was arrested on 3 March. Three other priests have been issued arrest warrants, but not … Continue reading
From VIS: LETTER TO PRIESTS IN THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA VATICAN CITY, 17 NOV 2009 (VIS) – Made public yesterday was a letter from Cardinal Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone S.D.B. to priests of the Catholic Church in the … Continue reading
60 years ago, Communists seized China. What sort of thing is the management of the Empire State Building celebrating by turning on the red and yellow lights? Inter alia, the One Child Policy… now being relaxed in some places as … Continue reading
Very cool… from CNA: Documentary about Jesuit missionary to China screened at Venice Film Festival Venice, Italy, Sep 12, 2009 / 06:13 pm (CNA).- A new documentary on the life of Fr. Matteo Ricci, a pioneering Jesuit missionary to China, … Continue reading