Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- hwriggles4: Two things: One way to handle an invite like this is “don ’t show up “. Years ago, a protest was scheduled outside of the diocesan chancery office. Since only 18...
- Michael Haz: Odd thing how a few priests who seem truly in need of therapy (Martin, Pfleger, et. al.) never seem to be rounded up and taken away… ;…
- MrsMacD: For CD who has terminal cancer and has been out of the church for years
- LarryW2LJ: A question that someone posed on Twitter: “Why does Fr. James Martin always have to remind us that he’s “a priest in good standing.& #8221;? My answer was a question my...
- robtbrown: Let’ s try it again. HvonBlumen thal says: I fear that FSSP is under as much pressure as everyone else as they have never succeeded in obtaining their own bishop. The only non...
- robtbrown: HvonBlumen thal says: I fear that FSSP is under as much pressure as everyone else as they have never succeeded in obtaining their own bishop. The only non schismatic safe house seems to...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: 1. It seems that the same level of secrecy that has been surroundin g the abuse of young men by priests and bishops, and the cover-ups by bishops, is also to be found...
- RKR: “Rem ember: The Lord gave us an indefectib le Church and promised that Hell would not prevail. He didn’t promise that the Church would survive in these USA.” ; Wow. I never thought...
- Gregg the Obscure: Grim irony that those in the Church who most deride the inquisitio n’s actions against heretics use even more intrusive tactics against men who resist heresy.
- iPadre: For my dad who is in the hospital. He was having chest pains. And for my mom. I’m taking her to get cataract surgery on on eye this morning.
- scottygal: My husband recently found out that the pastor of the most LGBT-frien dly parish in Atlanta is the priest that married us many years ago in Athens, GA. My heart almost broke when I...
- Father Totton: To some points here, it is naive to believe that this is strictly a liberal v. conservati ve problem. It is an abuse of power problem, and it happens with “lib eral” ; AND...
- Elly: Please pray for my son who has severe vision problems. Please pray that treatment will be effective.
- Richard A: Seems to me that in a city like Chicago, with several prestigiou s universiti es, it should be possible to find a rational, Christian professor of psychology with a national reputation ....
- Fallibilissimo: Please pray for I going through some turbulent waters. Please pray for L who will need to undergo knee surgery soon. Please pray for me to have the courage to deal with my very...
- HvonBlumenthal: To what extent do you think petitions like the one asking Card Cupich to resign make any difference ? How many signatures would it take? This one https://ww w.change.o rg/p/ca...
- Fallibilissimo: I know that the medical profession is full of abuse. However, if you’ re telling us that this is widespread among different dioceses then forget the idea of a place up in the...
- Gab: This … this is heartbreak ing.
- snegopad: Please pray for me: chronical illness, have to move as soon as possible to an other federal state, ( because I cannot afford living , where I am now),..bei ng not young anymore 230;,...
- Gab: Is it just me or are the links in FatherR 17;s post not working?
- HvonBlumenthal: I fear that FSSP is under as much pressure as everyone else as they have never succeeded in obtaining their own bishop. The only non schismatic safe house seems to be sspx.
- Johann: Please pray for all Catholics who have had their faith shaken by the current abuse crisis, that they may not lose hope. And pray for all the faithful bishops and priests who are trying to...
- HvonBlumenthal: Newman wrote this at the end of 1841. Within four years he would indeed leave “the Church” as he understood it when he wrote this and be received into the Catholic Church. For this...
- GrumpyYoungMan: Several family illnesses, one most likely terminal.
- JesusFreak84: Leading with good news, I’m starting a job on Monday after over 2 years of barely getting interviews , but it’s 1.5-2 hours from my house depending on traffic and tolls...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- UPDATED – INTERVIEW – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 September: Bl. Herman “the Cripple”
- In Atlanta protests about @JamesMartinSJ upcoming talk – #sodoclericalism
- Read and weep: Soviet style “psych” tactics used against priests by bishops.
- “Has not all our misery as a Church arisen from people being afraid to look difficulties in the face?”
- When they claim “Clericalism!”, they really mean #sodoclericalism
- My View For Awhile: Humidity Edition
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: coat-of-arms
Some years ago, in a burst of still slightly youthful zeal, I revamped my personal, clerical, family coat of arms with elements that were “meaningful”. A clerical student, deep student, of things heraldic – though rather antisocial – took me to … Continue reading
ORIGINAL Published 11 May 2016
First, where is a good herald when you need him? I want to do a decent version of my coat-of-arms (I will revert to my family’s which is part of the one I was using). Hopefully … Continue reading
From a reader in the combox under another entry:
I propose that for Benedict’s new coat of arms, he should keep the keys but remove the mitre and pallium, replacing them with a white galero with 21 tassels.
I have not heard … Continue reading
… the episcopal motto chosen by the new Prefect of the Papal Household, His Excellency, George Gänswein. Titual Archbishop of Urbs Salvia, is …
Testimonium Perhibere Veritati.
This is from John 18:37:
Pilate therefore said to him: Art thou a king then? Jesus … Continue reading
I am always dismayed when I see that a new bishop dumbs-down his coat-of-arms, or stemma as it is called in Italian, with a modern language motto. Of course I and some jocular priest friends suggested some less-often-considered mottos here.
Any … Continue reading
I found something you should know about.
Preamble: Surely someone with little intellectual flexibility will opine that all the heraldry stuff is meaningless in our sophisticated modern world, or that people who are interested in it are, well, as effete as … Continue reading