Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- hwriggles4: During my discernmen t process, I picked up an applicatio n for one Archdioces e. The applicatio n was lengthy (about 20 pages) and one question was “how do you relate to women?...
- Imrahil: The thing is… quite apart from the actual experience I do not doubt a pastor is bound to get when, well, “pas torizing 8221; families, they may know moral theology, dogma...
- Joy65: Absolutely praying for Father P. Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be
- Gerard Plourde: Is it possible that the experience that Cardinal Farrell is referring to is the area of financial instabilit y which is the primary cause of discord and failure in marriages? I say...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear jhayes, Yes, I know about the confusion between Mary Magdeline as prostitute vs. Mary Magdeline as having seven demons. My original draft made that distinctio n in a...
- Robert_Caritas: An FSSP priests hears confession s at Chartres, and I think is the pastor of a nearby parish. I’ve run into him every time I’ve been there, so there’s a good chance it’s him. The...
- Sue in soCal: Marriage is a sacrament and a vocation and should be treated as such: Seriously. Preparatio n for this calling is woefully inadequate throughout the Church.
- JSzczuka: TLM: Father gave an excellent homily today, drawing from the collect, epistle, and of course the Gospel. He first talked about how beautiful the Latin was in the collect, not perfec...
- MrsMacD: Our sermon today was on how to distinguis h between a temptation and an interior sin, that if we do not take pleasure in the temptation that for certain we did not sin and that if we are...
- Joy65: bobbird says: 15 July 2018 at 11:54 AM “Let us add about sexual self-contr ol needed among — mostly — the men AFTER marriage, if the couple is being instructed in Humanae Vitae and...
- Simon_GNR: Strange that apple bobbing should be associated with this feast day – apples won’ t be ripe and ready for picking for a couple of months yet. It’s been hot and sunny...
- tho: After hearing confession s for a number of years, and listening to the problems of their parishione rs for the same amount of time, no one is better qualified to dispense advice than a good...
- jhayes: Chicken wrote Mary Magdeline was neither married nor a virgin To uphold her good name:: The only thing we know from Scripture about Mary Magdalene& #8217;s personal life is that, at one...
- ex seaxe: Nothing startling. OF so OT15B, Amos 7:12-15, Ps 84/83, Ephesians 1:3-14, Mark 6:7-13. Emphsised, as he often does, that we are all called to evangelise , and that this is mainly by...
- GrumpyYoungMan: Visiting a parish in Archdioces e of Denver. God’ s graces aren’ ;t magic – they need cooperatio n from us. For healing to take place, it requires from us a change...
- richiedel: Amerikaner , I, too, considered for a moment, whether this may be about setting the stage for married priests. But upon further considerat ion, I didn’ ;t think it would be worth...
- frjim4321: The prelate does not seem to understand how counseling works, including pastoral counseling . It’s hard to imagine how such an ignorant person can ascend to such a high office, but...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Tony, You wrote: “So, why is it, then, more special that a woman remain a virgin and consecrate her virginal state to God, than that a man do so? Why is it that the US...
- Julia_Augusta: Married priests, that’s where the Cardinal is going, which, we the faithful, will oppose. How are we going to oppose him and people like him? Every time they make a scandal...
- bobbird: Let us add about sexual self-contr ol needed among — mostly — the men AFTER marriage, if the couple is being instructed in Humanae Vitae and NFP. Who understand s this better...
- MrsMacD: Amongst my family there are six of us who are married, one to be married soon. We all agree that the best marriage prep any of us received was directly from a good priest that took the...
- Antonin: Men and women do think differentl y and there are different expectatio ns in a marriage between the two partners. The Cardinal’s statement certainly has a grain of truth for sure. Priests...
- APX: Joy, We had a priest who took marriage prep quite seriously as well. He had an extensive reading list for couples (that actually required reading since they were expected to discuss the...
- Joy65: Our Priest has gone above and beyond to help couples in our Parish prepare for the Sacrament of Matrimony. He meets with them NUMEROUS times before the wedding. He takes marriages in his...
- APX: The US Associatio n of Consecrate d Virgins just issued another statement regarding Sec. 88 that clarifies and addresses much of what others have brought up in this discussion : https:/...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Left freaks out over SCOTUS pick. Hilarious tweets ensue.
- New FSSP Superior General elected, SSPX is gathered, CSJC … we shall see.
- A mosque at the site of the Battle of Tours!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 07/07/07 – Summorum Pontificum 11 years on – WORK HARDER!
- ASK FATHER: It’s getting hard to find suitable godparents
- Progress of the Vatican Cricket Team
- WDTPRS – 14th Ordinary Sunday: from dust to freedom
- 6 July 1535: St. Thomas More’s ‘dies natalis’
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: College of Cardinals
At Il Sismografo I saw some interesting stats about the College of Cardinals.
The College today, 26 June 2018
Total electors – 114
Total non electors – 98
Total College – 212
Cardinals created by John Paul II
Electors – 19
Non electors – 58
Total – 77
Created by … Continue reading
At the English site of Vatican Radio we find the names of the soon-to-be Cardinals. There is something rather odd in the list.
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis on Sunday announced a consistory for the creation of new Cardinals. He made the … Continue reading
Over at Fishwrap the cracks are widening. They are losing John Allen. They closed the combox. MSW is deeply into logorrhea. They are panicky.
Now I see a piece by Thomas Reese, SJ, who was removed from his editor’s position at … Continue reading
Today the Holy Father named new Cardinals, including:
The Pontiff made the announcement during his Angelus address in St Peter’s Square this morning.
The Pope named 15 other voting cardinals:
– Archbishop Pietro Parolin, Vatican Secretary of State;
– Archbishop Lorenzo Baldisseri, Secretary of … Continue reading
More symptoms of The Francis Effect™.
Now that we have the most wonderfullest and fluffiest Pope ehvur, people’s true colors seem to be emerging. It is as if they are rushing to prove the old adage: Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.
But that … Continue reading
Fr. Lombardi indicated during the press briefing today (going on as I write), that the date of the beginning of the Conclave may be announced this evening, at 7 p.m. Rome time.
It would probably – not for sure – be early … Continue reading
I am sure an official translation will come out soon, if not already, but I wanted to savor the last official words of Pope Benedict XVI. I did my own, below. The last off-the-cuff remarks at the window at Castel … Continue reading
The Archbishop of Los Angeles, Most Rev. José H. Gomez, has said “Effective immediately, I have informed Cardinal Mahony that he will no longer have any administrative or public duties.” See the pdf of the letter HERE.
What this means is … Continue reading
You may have heard, but the Pope created a few more Cardinals today, 22 to be exact, though several are over 80 years of age and therefore cannot enter or vote in a conclave.
Each cardinal is assigned a church in … Continue reading
I have received several queries about what would happen if, before the upcoming consistory and the “creation” of the new cardinals, the Holy Father were to – quod Deus avertat – die.
Would the men whose names were already announced be … Continue reading
My old mentor Msgr. Schuler used to ask the unwary: “What’s the difference between a priest and a monsignor? … None. But often the monsignor doesn’t know it.”
To be made a cardinal of Holy Church brings with the office some … Continue reading
The list is out.
I was pleased to see that one of my profs from the Augustinianum was on the list, though he is over 80, Prosper Grech, OSA. Trappé never had the red hat.
I was sad that good old Archbp. … Continue reading
I have been contemplating the buzz about the Consistory, which will more than like be announced today (6 Jan, Epiphany).
My admiration for Pope Benedict is pretty obvious, I should think.
That said, when I think about composition of the College, that … Continue reading
CNA has this:
Vatican City, Jan 5, 2012 / 05:12 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The Vatican is refusing to deny media speculation that Pope Benedict XVI will announce a list of new cardinals as early as tomorrow.
“You will have to wait for … Continue reading