Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Gab: Future saint?
- DeGaulle: Happened me this morning, even before I read this-I woke up with a tickly cough, for which I find an inhaler to be quite effective& #8230;and just stopped myself activating it upon...
- Gab: God created kangaroos. That right there tells us He has a sense of humour.
- JonPatrick: At our Eastern Rite Pascha Divine Liturgy, Father spoke about how we tend to see Easter as the end of our Lenten fast (which is very strict in the Eastern Rite) and that we can now...
- grateful: Perhaps it’s God’ s way of telling us not to take life too seriously. He seems to love to get our attention and make us laugh. One of His best kept secrets: His Sense of Humor.
- Gab: LOL. Poor Father. Oh well, he either has hair-free teeth or a gleaming white face. Happy and blessed Easter.
- iamlucky13: AureEntulu va – yes! Great to encounter a neighbor here on the great big internet.
- cdruiz: Our pastor washed the feet of our twelve oldest altar boys, all in cassock and surplice. This was the third year in a row that he has done this, and it is so beautiful and the posit...
- TRW: My grandmothe r took my brother and I camping when we were young. We accidental ly used her tube of Poligrip(d enture adhesive) instead of toothpaste . It was dark out and it took a good few...
- SAHMmy: I knew immediatel y where that photo comes from. It is at The Big Cross in Groom, Texas just off Interstate 40. I LOVE stopping there when I drive cross-coun try each year. It’s one...
- rhhenry: Ex labore infantium?
- Suburbanbanshee: O Lord, give us the faith of children and the heart of Yourself.
- hwriggles4: Sleep deprivatio n – reminds me of finals week at college. Unmatched clothes, unshaved faces, sweat pants, laundry piled up, room in disarray, etc. Yes – I am only human.
- JustaSinner: Laura Ingraham is a new covert, Maria Bartiroma is, and I believe a half dozen others are Catholic or converts. Unfortunat ely calling a priest ‘Reverand’ instead of Father has caught...
- JustaSinner: Least you caught it and it wasn’t icy hot! Blessed Easter, Father. You deserve all the best.
- hwriggles4: Went to last night̵ 7;s Easter Vigil. Our pastoral administra tor is a former Episcopal Priest and gave a good homily highlighti ng that we all have seen darkness and light. Father...
- Egad_Trad_Dad: Minds me of the old SNL skit about “Shi mmer” ; — the floor wax that’ ;s also a dessert topping.
- jameeka: Thank you for your sermon, Father Z. Father C’s Easter morning sermon (OF) First, he drew a parallel: Jesus was born in a cave and wrapped in swaddling cloth. When Jesus died, he was...
- AureEntuluva: Were you at St. Brendan’s in Bothell WA? This sounds like what I heard there
- bobbird: And I must add, especially to those whose parish priest insisted that the Mass would not proceed until volunteers came forth: if that happened to me, I would stand up and say, “...
- bobbird: On a camping trip, I once put dish soap into a Mac & Cheese concoction , thinking it was … olive oil. I was EXTREMELY PUZZLED as I stirred the mac & cheese and saw bubbles...
- AliceS: Father reiterated more than once that Jesus really rose from the dead. And was seen by many including his disciples. This was not just wishful thinking but something which truly happened. I...
- semperficatholic: HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA! TOO FUNNY!
- iamlucky13: Father talked about the Jewish hope in the resurrecti on, coupled with the doubt that would have naturally been felt that it could be a realistic promise. Then they had renewed hope...
- Henry Edwards: A note of thanksgivi ng for our EF Holy Week observance s at Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Knoxville (TN). For the first time in a half century and more here, we celebrated the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Wonderful wonderful photo
- It pays to be attentive, especially when you are really tired!
- Your Easter Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on bombings, Easter and our Catholic identity
- PASCHALCAzT 47 – Easter Sunday: Leave the shrouds in the tomb
- ACTION ITEM: Help for a traditional Catholic seminarian continues! – UPDATED… for EASTER!
- Benedict XVI on the Paschal Candle
- WDTPRS and AUDIO: The Exsultet – explained, translated, sung
- JUST TOO COOL: Fr. Z kudos to Our Lady’s Bees! They survived the fire #NDParis
- LENTCAzT 2019 46 – Holy Saturday: The Harrowing of Hell
- POLL: Foot-washing on Holy Thursday where you are – ORDINARY FORM
- “Behold, I make all things new.”
- #GoodFriday and You: Prayers for Holy Souls in Purgatory and Plenary Indulgences
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- Good Friday Reminder: Fasting, Abstaining, and You
- LENTCAzT 2019 45 – Good Friday: The ultimate pulpit
- TMSM: Holy Thursday Mass with the new vestments
- A good article in Crisis about France. Fr. Z adds a short rant.
- LENTCAzT 2019 44 – Holy Thursday: Sin is in the blood
- So a guy with gas cans walks into @StPatsNYC in Midtown Manhattan…
- ARRIVED: Tenebrae Hearse! And a successful bout with Zuhlsdorf’s Law
- PRAYERCAzT: What does the Latin Exorcism really sound like? FOR PRIESTS ONLY – UPDATED
- Fundraising idea for #NotreDame
- VIDEO: Interview with Fr. Jean-Marc Fournier
- WDTPRS – Spy Wednesday, the last Collect of Lent
- VIDEO: Interior of #NotreDame after the fire. WHEW!
- LENTCAzT 2019 43 – Wednesday of Holy Week: In a cataclysm, something must be salvaged.
- VIDEO – The last rite in #NotreDame was… this?
- About #NotreDame and the fire and the altar. Just sayin’…
- Fr. Z rants about #NotreDame fire and the Faith in the Church’s “eldest daughter”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Communion
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A priest blessing young children at mass, is it something that they should do? Is there a reason they would skip over a child? We had a homily today about the importance of blessing children and … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In light of your recent question about “First Eucharist ” I was wondering about something else heard frequently. When referring to reception of the Blessed Sacrament some people say they are going to “take” Communion. When … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have noticed an uptake lately in referring to first communion as first Eucharist, usually by people who insist on referring to extraordinary ministers of holy communion as Eucharistic ministers. The uptake seems frequent and widespread … Continue reading
The simple but wise words of His Eminence Francis Card. Arinze, Cardinal Bishop of Velletri-Segni, have rung often of late in the ears of my mind. He famously responded to a question about Communion for public figure who are manifestly … Continue reading
“Up? No, that’s really Down”, they say. “Black is white.” “2+2=5” What?!? You don’t see it? Then you must either be a hater or you are afraid of something, or maybe you are incapable of loving. Maybe you are stupid. … Continue reading
My old friend Msgr. Hans Feichtinger has penned for First Things a piece about the German bishops. DISCERNMENT ÜBER ALLES The German bishops have announced that they will soon publish new guidelines for reception of the Holy Eucharist. [Because the old … Continue reading
From a reader… One of the requirements for receiving communion, besides being in the state of grace, is being “properly disposed” to receive. This is something that never gets talked about. How exactly should we discern whether we are “properly … Continue reading
There is a virus-like fixation pandemic in the Church today that everyone has to go to Communion at every Mass. Therefore, even if there are people present manifestly in living in a state of mortal sin, spectacular contortions of doctrine … Continue reading
UPDATE: From a friend in email: It would seem to make little difference in pastoral practice at this point, I think, to admit Lutherans to Communion: most of our own Catholic people don’t believe in the Real Presence and … Continue reading
Bp. Thomas Olmsted of Phoenix continues to impress. Remember that he had the steel to remove the title “Catholic” from a hospital where – at the approval of women religious – a direct abortion was performed. Lately, Bp. Olmsted has planned … Continue reading
A reading from the first apology of Justin Martyr in defense of the Christians, c. 100-165 No one may share in the Eucharist except those who believe in the truth of our teachings and have been washed in the bath … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When my wife and I attend Mass at our regular parish, we have always made it a point to receive Communion from the priest. Recently, when we did so, the priest stopped my wife, looked her in the … Continue reading
DATELINE: Springfield, IL. It seems that in a letter to the edition of the local paper someone went after His Excellency Most Reverend Thomas Paprocki, Bishop of Springfield in regard to Communion for the civilly divorced and remarried (CDRs). HERE … Continue reading
Archbp. Myers: “Catholics must be in a marriage recognized as valid by the Church to receive Holy Communion”
Liberal-megaphone RNS’ and David Gibson have a damage control piece out right now. They may sense that things are not going well at the Synod for the Kasperite agenda. ROME — Even as Pope Francis and Catholic leaders from around … Continue reading