Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Komo: Funny, no mention of times available for confession . Oh, that’ ;s right – it’s an outdated sacrament.
- dbf223: “No faithful priest deserves this parish. 221; I concur. There are probably a whole host of other issues the bishop would have to sort through to even begin to address this situa...
- Diana: There are some beautiful scapulars on Etsy, too. I bought some here: https://ww w.etsy.com /shop/InGo ldofOphir? ref=l2-sho pheader-na me
- Massachusetts Catholic: If the archdioces e in St Paul and Minneapoli s has only one parish like this, consider yourself blessed. There are about five parishes like this in the archdioces e of...
- Geoffrey: Thank you for this timely post! My Brown Scapular gave ‘way a few months ago, and I have been at pains finding something similar. It was a somewhat “hea vy” scapul...
- LarryW2LJ: Why have a child baptized if you KNOW your lifestyle is in direct conflict with the Catholic faith and you know you have no intentions of bringing up said child in adherence with that...
- Sawyer: Not that it matters for the main topic, but the “chu rch” setup with the screens looks temporary, like it’s in a gymnasium or a hall. Is the church building being renova...
- Henry Edwards: ” Suppress the place and sow the ground with salt?̶ 1; Why not, PrayTell? Seriously, what good reason might a responsibl e bishop have, for allowing a place like this to...
- hwriggles4: If religious education volunteers and paid staffers are required to attend, they would probably fall asleep during several sessions. If this were me, I would read Daniel Mattson...
- Cafea Fruor: @Amy – Yes, this is so true, and the consequenc es of not having a mother around run deep. My own mother was effectivel y out of my childhood from the time I was about 7 or 8...
- Gab: This infection needs to be stopped before it spreads to other parishes. Although I don’ t know if it’s even possible to stop the spread in these times. Sounds like the church and...
- Amy McSween: Where is the Cross? Where is our Lord?
- Suburbanbanshee: I think Liguori says that travelers are exempted from a lot of fasting regs. Obviously this was partly about moving the body strenuousl y, and partly about uncertaint ies in...
- Hidden One: The pastorR 17;s second six year term expires in July.
- Arcgap: The Bishop should follow the example of Jesus ins such a situation John 2:15
- teomatteo: Child abuse. Pure and Simple. (not the baptism of course).
- Amy McSween: A child has a right, in normal circumstan ces, to his or her mother. Jennifer Roeback Morse has devise excellent rhetorical counterpoi nts to the usual “don ’t judge...
- WmHesch: Under the old rules, New scapulars did not need to be blessed (with the sole exception of the Trinidaria n until Leo XIII). This is because it’s the ENROLLMENT that carries over from one...
- Michael: This company from Michigan makes excellent Scapulars that are both strong and long-lasti ng. Plus, proceeds go towards the formation of religious. The scapular comes with the rite of...
- LA: A couple years back I was flew East across the Atlantic, leaving Atlanta on a Ash Wednesday evening. I could not know when exactly it would turn into Thursday mid-air somewhere in flight, so...
- ChesterFrank: When initiated into the brown scapular in grade school, I recall getting one of plastic with inserts for paper cards. Are the real ones really that much more expensive? Handing out...
- IRATVS MAXIMVS: Here’ ;s what I do when, for instance, I have to stay up late or travel on fridays and eating meat at 00:01 feels hypocritic al: I fast from the time I wake up on (local)...
- majuscule: Some years ago I bought one from the person mentioned by Cicero_NOL A. They are a hand embroidere d work of art. If you are looking for a “hair shirt” effect, one of these would not be...
- ChesterFrank: Does this classify as a satanic ritual? [Not in a formal sense. But I cannot help but think that demons revel in this. Remember: demons can attach themselves to those who commit...
- Dan: The first sign that this was going to go south were the giant projection screens at the front of the parish. I didn’ ;t even have to click the link to the bulletin to know they called...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
- BOOK RECEIVED
- ASK FATHER: “I’m seriously considering adopting some form of sedevacantism”
- ASK FATHER: Advice about homeschooling and High School
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Communion
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A priest blessing young children at mass, is it something that they should do? Is there a reason they would skip over a child? We had a homily today about the importance of blessing children and … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In light of your recent question about “First Eucharist ” I was wondering about something else heard frequently. When referring to reception of the Blessed Sacrament some people say they are going to “take” Communion. When … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have noticed an uptake lately in referring to first communion as first Eucharist, usually by people who insist on referring to extraordinary ministers of holy communion as Eucharistic ministers. The uptake seems frequent and widespread … Continue reading
The simple but wise words of His Eminence Francis Card. Arinze, Cardinal Bishop of Velletri-Segni, have rung often of late in the ears of my mind. He famously responded to a question about Communion for public figure who are manifestly … Continue reading
“Up? No, that’s really Down”, they say. “Black is white.” “2+2=5” What?!? You don’t see it? Then you must either be a hater or you are afraid of something, or maybe you are incapable of loving. Maybe you are stupid. … Continue reading
My old friend Msgr. Hans Feichtinger has penned for First Things a piece about the German bishops. DISCERNMENT ÜBER ALLES The German bishops have announced that they will soon publish new guidelines for reception of the Holy Eucharist. [Because the old … Continue reading
From a reader… One of the requirements for receiving communion, besides being in the state of grace, is being “properly disposed” to receive. This is something that never gets talked about. How exactly should we discern whether we are “properly … Continue reading
There is a virus-like fixation pandemic in the Church today that everyone has to go to Communion at every Mass. Therefore, even if there are people present manifestly in living in a state of mortal sin, spectacular contortions of doctrine … Continue reading
UPDATE: From a friend in email: It would seem to make little difference in pastoral practice at this point, I think, to admit Lutherans to Communion: most of our own Catholic people don’t believe in the Real Presence and … Continue reading
Bp. Thomas Olmsted of Phoenix continues to impress. Remember that he had the steel to remove the title “Catholic” from a hospital where – at the approval of women religious – a direct abortion was performed. Lately, Bp. Olmsted has planned … Continue reading
A reading from the first apology of Justin Martyr in defense of the Christians, c. 100-165 No one may share in the Eucharist except those who believe in the truth of our teachings and have been washed in the bath … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When my wife and I attend Mass at our regular parish, we have always made it a point to receive Communion from the priest. Recently, when we did so, the priest stopped my wife, looked her in the … Continue reading
DATELINE: Springfield, IL. It seems that in a letter to the edition of the local paper someone went after His Excellency Most Reverend Thomas Paprocki, Bishop of Springfield in regard to Communion for the civilly divorced and remarried (CDRs). HERE … Continue reading
Archbp. Myers: “Catholics must be in a marriage recognized as valid by the Church to receive Holy Communion”
Liberal-megaphone RNS’ and David Gibson have a damage control piece out right now. They may sense that things are not going well at the Synod for the Kasperite agenda. ROME — Even as Pope Francis and Catholic leaders from around … Continue reading