Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JesusFreak84: Father preached about the virtue of Temperance and some of its related virtues. He wasn’ ;t graphic about chastity but he wasn’ ;t skirting around it, either, and made clear...
- Lucas: capchoirgi rl: Same here! I went 10 years ago with my parents and it was *amazing*. I can’ t recommend it enough. It’s truly beautiful down there. I’ve been back 3 times...
- Ellen: Father talked about names and how they are powerful. How God knows us all by name and cares for us as a shepherd does his sheep.
- aiello01: The Eucharist is not a substitute for a healthy dose of me’J esus.
- JonPatrick: Saturday evening we attended Divine Liturgy (Melkite Greek Catholic rite). The Gospel reading is full of symbolism. The 5 sided pool represents the 5 books of the law which by themsel...
- Imrahil: “Ecu menical Councils are free from error̶ 1; means “in their dogmasR 21;, usually for simplicity expressed in their canons and anathemas. Theologian s never dreamed of...
- Semper Gumby: Have a blessed trip Fr. Z. Looks like it’s off to an excellent start. As for rwj’ s disappeari ng pizza mystery, Tracer Bullet, Ace Private Eye, was on the job in Calab...
- NBW: Father, it all looks wonderful! Especially that tonic!
- Fr. Reader: I was there, among the crowd.
- Fr. Reader: Thank you very much for this one!
- Bthompson: First Communion this weekend: If you want to know the Good Shepherd as well as he knows you, you need to follow him and spend time with him: at the very least, you need to come to Mass...
- jellysquare: If one is not Catholic and does not believe everything the Catholic Church teaches then it is hypocritic al to receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ since they are NOT...
- CaliCatholicGuy: Vocation Sunday in the Archdioces e of Los Angeles. Father drilled into the Greek of what “Good Shepherd” really meant in the gospel and said that in Greek it could be rendered as...
- Henry Edwards: TonyO: “how do you repudiate the documents of Vatican II without repudiatin g the protection guaranteed for Ecumenical Councils that they be free of error?R 21; Not a...
- benedetta: Sunday of the Paralytic in the Byzantine Rite. Jesus asks the paralytic by the sheep gate whether he wants to be made well. It might seem obvious, but then it’s true that someti...
- JustaSinner: Something tells me you’ re not stopping at any Mickey Ds this trip… ;
- Fr Martin Fox: The title of my homily was “The Shepherd 8217;s path and same-sex attraction .” I explained the ChurchR 17;s teaching, I addressed how we got where we are, and how...
- capchoirgirl: Calabria! My ancestral homeland! Someday I want to visit̷ 0;
- Cicero_NOLA: I heard Mass at the convent of the Handmaids of the Eucharist (Seitai Hoshikai) in Akita, Japan. The homily was in Japanese, so I read from Mother LoyolaR 17;s excellent “...
- frjim4321: Sheep have good, directiona l hearing; they go in the direction of a friendly voice that brings them together; they are gregarious . If we are to be good sheep, we will hear the voice of...
- KAS: For me, the saddest part of the old translatio n, and the much better new translatio n, is that I find the literal translatio ns you do to be far more meaningful and lovely in very nearly...
- JabbaPapa: You’ ll all *love* the food down in Puglia, Father …
- Fr Martin Fox: Father: Was there anything else in the drink? I am planning to replicate it. [You can add either gin or, less ideally, vodka. I didn’ ;t have any gin in it last night because of...
- Kathleen10: Blessed and safe travels, Fr. Z. Photos of food and travels are welcome. I’ll never go to Europe, so it’s all new and interestin g to me.
- Suburbanbanshee: I remember. I was home from work because I was sick as a dog, projectile vomit and all. I got some sleep with the TV still on, and suddenly there was white smoke! So much joy! Papa...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: confirmation
From a reader…
I am 58 years old and was baptized as RC I was never confirmed /never made first holy communion and rarely attended church. I was drawn back to attending church about a year ago and as I am self employed and … Continue reading
From a reader…
You recently had a post, “ASK FATHER: Godparents must be confirmed, married properly”
In this post you discuss the con-validation of a mixed marriage and a little but about the process.
I have an interesting situation that has been with … Continue reading
You perhaps have heard that a bishop in Argentina, has approved the baptism of a child held in custody by two lesbians. HERE
Vatican Insider has an explanation by a “collaborator” of then-Archbp. Bergoglio in Buenos Aires. HERE
Pope Francis, and even … Continue reading
From a reader:
Can I arrange for my daughter to eventually attend catechism classes, and have First Communion and Confirmation in a parish outside of our geographical parish?
Or is she required to receive the sacraments in our geographical parish unless the parish priest will … Continue reading
From a reader:
If a person is confirmed in Mortal Sin, does it ‘count’, or must he/she be conditionally re-confirmed.
What you are asking is “Was the sacrament validly conferred?” or “Is she confirmed?”
Yes. The sacrament was validly confirmed and she is really … Continue reading
From a reader:
My younger sister is going through Confirmation classes and, God-willing, will be confirmed next year. She seem to have her heart set on Maximilian Kolbe as her Confirmation Saint/name.
Interestingly enough, the Confirmation class teacher (of 25 years) says … Continue reading
Dr. Peters has a new post on his fine canon law blog, In the Light of the Law. He doesn’t have an open combox over there, and I can understand why.
Confirmation and advocacy of ‘gay marriage’
by Dr. Edward Peters
Those trying … Continue reading
From a reader:
56 girls were recently confirmed. Isn’t that too big a group? I would rather have smaller groups, and the Archdiocese of ___ has no shortage of auxiliary bishops and vicars.
There is no requirement in canon law that the … Continue reading
From a reader:
I attended a Confirmation yesterday, and I noticed two things that made me doubtful. Firstly, the fact that some of the girls being confirmed had two godfathers, or two godmothers, while I had been told in my own … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have publicized that a French bishop, Most. Rev. Jean Bonfils, Emeritus of Nice went to an SSPX chapel in Ajaccio, Corsica and administered the sacrament of Confirmation to 19 people.
It seems that the local SSPX priest … Continue reading