Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JMGcork: Missa Cantata. Father used the Wedding Feast at Cana to highlight Mary as a merciful mother intercedin g for us. As it happens, Father was a missionary in Japan with the Columban Fathers...
- Cicero_NOLA: The Catholic priest on the Navy base south of Tokyo is a holy young man after your heart, Father. You would like him and I bet he could get you onto a ship if you have the time and...
- gaudiumcumpace: “He asks of us obedience and love for Him and for our fellow men. For the rest, we are to depend solely on him as do the birds of the air and the flowers of the field.“ This is the...
- Prayerful: Parish priest used water into wine as a metaphor for the transforma tion that God brings to sinful, weak man.
- Julia_Augusta: The parish church of St. Viator in Kyoto has a priest from French-spe aking Africa (the order is originally from Quebec). He speaks Japanese fluently with a near perfect accent. I go...
- robtbrown: I know of no case in which FSSP priests are forced to say the Novus Ordo once a year. Perhaps the reference is to the Chrism Mass. In the early years of the FSSP, not having parishes of...
- Suburbanbanshee: Good homily about Cana. First time I have ever heard a priest point out that “Wha t is that between me and you?” ; was a Hebrew expression of approval, and was basica...
- Pius Admirabilis: @Ann Malley: I think you are being a bit too emotional about this. I did not intend a broad generaliza tion, as I stated. I merely suggested that soem SSPX priests and dignita...
- semperficatholic: I am in north Texas above Dallas and saw the eclipse from my back door window. I am in the country so there were no city lights. The moon was huge and beautiful.
- Gabriel Syme: @ Fr Jackson, what doctrine exactly they think the Fraternity of St Peter can’t have. As I understand it Father, the SSPX criticism of the canonicall y regular traditiona l orders is...
- HvonBlumenthal: Yes, I believe at least once a year. Its to ensure recognitio n by the priest that both masses are equally valid forms of the same rite and he this accepts the hermeneuti c of...
- Imrahil: FSSP priests are obliged to say the new Mass occasional ly Just briefly: Are they?
- HvonBlumenthal: Roma247 and others: You are probably aware that SSPX has within its ranks more than one school of thought. It was the Vatican that declared the fraternity ‘s situation to be irreg...
- Gab: Very good sermon from Father (aged 27, but with knowledge far exceeding his age) at the TLM. Basic outtake of the message – Some people question why the emphasis on going through Our...
- OssaSola: Thank you, we just ran outside in our PJ’s and saw the eclipse in the clear Texas sky; we would have missed it otherwise. Godspeed your Mission in Tokyo!
- rtrainque: With myself as the lone server and one of our regular schola members performing his duties solo as well, we managed to still have a Missa Cantata (sans incense) here in Burling...
- Rob83: The sermon was abbreviate d due to the weather, understand able given conditions . So it was a brief lesson on canon law about such things with a request to pray and attend the pro-l...
- roma247: @Ann Malley Achilles was a very great warrior 211;unstop pable, in fact, but for his heel. We are all human and we all have weaknesses . My only point was to show that the devil makes...
- JMody: As for sermon notes, Msgr Al made similar points about the host’ ;s dilemma, and how the Blessed Mother gave the instructio n that is always appropriat e –> ; Do whatever He...
- JesusFreak84: Unfortunat ely, there̵ 7;s not a ton of overlap of devout, traditiona l Catholic men and people who learn Japanese =-\ (Japanese is HARD, even though there̵ 7;s far more...
- FromVicBC: My understand ing is the largest groups of practicing Catholics live in South America and Africa. Is there a reason the church isn’ t encouragin g young men from South America and...
- Hidden One: There used to be a priest of the Society who commented here on occasion. Perhaps he might have something to say, at least to the comments above.
- Hidden One: Magdalena, I believe that you are incorrect. With the suppressio n of Ecclesia Dei, its staff and budget become fully integrated with the CDF. In other words, the same people will field...
- Sword40: I was in Tokyo in August 1964. I was in the Marines and got a 96 hour pass to visit there from Iwakuni (southern Honshu) . Had a great time at the Olympic that summer. And, yes, Kamak...
- Ann Malley: @Pius Admirabili s With all due respect, to say that, “The SSPX has no reason to stay in their canonical status, 221; without being in the know about details is presumptio n....
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Super-Wolf-Blood Moon!
- WDTPRS: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany – liturgical unicorn
- Francis suppressed the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”. Fr. Z remarks.
- ASK FATHER: Do I have to sing at Mass?
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- My View For Awhile: Westward
- ASK FATHER: Finding good sponsors for confirmation
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Curling
I’ve been remiss in mentioning the most exciting sport of all the Winter Olympic events. Put aside the humdrum sports of figure skating, downhill skiing, etc. No no. That’s not where the real excitement lies. Here’s something that really deserves … Continue reading
A major scandal now rocks a sport which is dear to the hearts of all readers of this blog, I am sure. Strange brooms have been introduced into Curling! They make the rocks shift more in their icy slide than … Continue reading
I’ve been fighting off a nasty bug – including bronchitis – for a few days now. Oatmeal in the morning, clementines and chicken broth and antibiotics in the evening. Yum. I haven’t had much of an appetite or energy. … Continue reading
I object to NBC. And I object to certain aspects of their coverage of the Olympics. I have also been on the road. And so I haven’t been able to watch much of the only sport at the Olympics that … Continue reading
There is snow on the ground and the Winter Olympics are coming up. We all, I am sure, are beginning to sense the beginnings of the heart-pounding adrenaline rush that comes from the action-jammed sport of… … CURLING! I had … Continue reading
Do not be deceived.
The women of Canada are dueling the women of Switzerland. Oh the drama! Great hats are available. And the Swiss deserve to lose for this, if nothing else. UPDATE: The tension is building. CANADA WINS! I am sure you are … Continue reading
I don’t know if you will be able to tear yourselves away to go to Friday night devotions, but tonight there is plenty of CURLING to see! Alas, in the RESULTS: the USA men (all from Minnesota, no?) are way … Continue reading
Yes, it is Ash Wednesday, but the the important events of life go on. We are rooting for the US women against the Germans… which leaves me a little conflicted, but not much. The field of battle.