HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JonathanTX: Perhaps it’s time to begin preparing our conscience s for the day that some bishops 217; conference tries to ordain women and the Vatican declines to correct them, or even...
- ChrisP: mcferran: check your assumemora lhighgroun d.exe file. It failed. The world is populated by grown ups – welcome to join it.
- Jacob: For those who don’ t want to stay up to watch walking on the moon later tonight US time, CBS News is streaming its coverage all in one go, the landing and then the walk, on Youtube. So...
- Gab: This post and the “Rig ht now you are being huntedR 21; post should be merged … or read with the other post in mind. “Joh n Paul II declared in his 1994 Apostolic Letter...
- Hidden One: Neque “Chr istus̶ 1; neque “viv it”.
- thomas777: I love the off label use of this photo. Everyone knows that Gandalf does not always drink coffee but when he does Gandalf makes it a Mystic Monk coffee!!!
- Andreas: I’m listening/ watching the ‘Apo llo 11 in Real Time’ ; website right now; the LM has just landed. It is addictive and I am loathe to break away and head off for bed...
- BrionyB: It’s striking how “servants” , “grace”, and “commands” were all neatly removed from the old translatio n. Nicely sums up the problems with the mindset that produced it! Also, seeing the...
- Gregg the Obscure: i remember the day well. we went to “Aun t” Clara̵ 7;s (really my mom’ s second cousin who we didn’ ;t see all that often). she hosted a pretty big...
- Bob B.: When I see Apollo 13 and the scene where everyone is watching Neil Armstrong walk on the Moon, I remember my family gathered around the TV, as well. My father had worked at Cape Canave...
- mcferran: It’s just plain uncharitab le to make fun of somebody 8217;s name. The fact that Professor Faggioli may be uncharitab le to others (even his own ordinary) does not give license to...
- Jacob: Apollo 11 in Real Time https://ap olloinreal time.org/ Apollo 11 Live TV (Cronkite) Coverage https://ko ttke.org/a pollo-11/
- Kathleen10: I totally heard that with his voice, fantastic. Oh, if only! I have come to realize fully in the last couple of days there really is such a thing as TDS and it’s pretty incredi...
- Semper Gumby: That was great, thanks Fr. Z. Hmm… By the shores of the Red Sea c. 1250 BC… A man in a robe with a distinctiv e hairstyle climbs up on a rock and addresses a crowd of...
- BrionyB: This is so sad and frustratin g. It’s obvious that all these events and synods are biased from the start and set up to reach a foregone conclusion , but although we can all see it,...
- APX: And here I thought this would be a post on a great, yet frugal, beans and rice dish you came up with. *disappoin ted* [Yes, Beans does disappoint .]
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: TxLurker: I’ve written more in depth about this HERE. I wrote inter alia: If the water does not touch the head, at least the hair of the head, the baptism is inval...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Of course the Internatio nal Youth Forum was filled with plants.
- TxLurker: “The re is a trinitaria n form while water is delivered by pouring, sprinkling , immersing, on the skin of the head or, if absolutely necessary and the head can’t be reach...
- AA Cunningham: The real question is whether or not the diminutive Cruise will have to sit on phone books while being filmed in the Super Hornet cockpit as he did in the Tomcat cockpit.
- SKAY: “I read that some people think that the movie caves into the ChiComs because the original patches on Maverick’s jacket were changed: no more Taiwan. Fluctus in simpulo? 8221; This is...
- The Masked Chicken: The were faking another moon landing and had to use the bandwidth :) The Chicken
- FrNigel: The Schola from the London Oratory School sings the Saturday evening Mass at the London Oratory Church in term time.
- Markus: “Maverick” is a great call sign. It is also the name of our rescue/she lter ferret, already named when we got him. He is the smartest, funniest little guy we have ever had, and we have had...
- Elizzabeth: jaykay, this is a choir from the London Oratory school. It’s not a Brompton Oratory choir̷ 0;
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: Right now you are being hunted
- Mass texts for St. Elijah, Prophet – 20 July
- 20 July 1969 – Man on the Moon – 50 years ago
- Beans, beans, the musical fruit
- Pres. Trump running for Pope
- Building recruits for the New catholic Red Guards!
- New music from the London Oratory: Sacred Treasures of Spain!
- Toxic Masculinity and Sequels
- What a difference a day made
- ASK FATHER: Traditional “Supplied rites” after emergency or modern rite baptism
- Sick-Call Sets and You
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: deacons
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Can a deacon serve as acolyte in the Extraordinary Form Mass? Sure. If there are not enough servers for the sake of a Solemn Mass, and for some reason you have a plethora of deacons and … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, I know priests are allowed to vest for Mass (chasuble, stole, etc.) together and concelebrate. It’s not a good thing, but it makes theological sense because many priests can consecrate one host as St. Thomas … Continue reading
I’ve seen this from different sources, including lots of email. However Dcn. Greg Kandra has the most prominent post. An idiot deacon – listed among the Permanent Deacons of St. Rose of Lima Church in Eddystone in the Archdiocese of … Continue reading
From a deacon Could you please address the all too common occurrence where Deacons are asked (or told by the priest) to relinquish their liturgical role to a lay person? Case in point: I was told to allow the music … Continue reading
UPDATE: I’ve received quite a bit of mail about my response. The preponderance says that I was right in my argument, but also that the Caerimoniale‘s directions do NOT prohibit priests from vesting as deacons. Here is an example: When the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Can a Novus Ordo be ad orientem with Latin, chant, a subdeacon and deacon in traditional vestments? Not only can the Novus Ordo be celebrated ad orientem, it ought to be. The rubrics indicate that this is the standard, … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, last year we began attending a more traditional parish in our diocese. It struck me just today that I’ve never seen our deacon at Mass without a dalmatic, whereas we saw the deacon frequently without … Continue reading
From a reader… I am a sacristan at my parish. This past Friday we had Stations of the Cross and Benediction led by our Permanent Deacon. The strange thing was that the deacon wore the priest’s stole with the cope … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Mass (EF), are Deacons (either transitional or permanent) allowed to distribute Holy Communion? Or is this a faculty reserved to only the Priest and Bishop? On the Correct Handling … Continue reading
Get to it! ___ ORIGINAL Published on: Oct 16, 2015 @ 09:15 I have an ACTION ITEM for you. Perhaps other bloggers, in a spirit of collaboration, will pick this up. You might consider going over to CRUX – again, in … Continue reading
From a permanent deacon… QUAERITUR: Can a married Deacon use a fascia with his cassock, considering that it symbolises chastity? If it symbolizes chastity, most certainly then, a married deacon can wear it, since he should be living a life … Continue reading
It was a quick trip, too quick, but duty calls. As I leave Kansas City, I thank my amiable hosts, whose son was, today, ordained a deacon. They always try to provide the best for the weary clerical guest. Thanks … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently witnessed our parish deacon blessing an image of St. Francis. Do deacons have the power of blessing images. And if not, does the image to be “re-blessed” by a priest? Given that this is the season … Continue reading
From a priest reader… QUAERITUR: In light of par. 22 of the Ceremoniale which states that presbyters are not to wear diaconal vestments but also in light of the return of cardinal deacons and the Vatican’s explanation of it, what can … Continue reading
From a reader: Over Mother’s Day weekend I attended mass at a church I do not usually attend. I noticed their bulletin listed a “Deaconite Couple.” Is that allowed? Women aren’t allowed to be deacons are they? This church is … Continue reading