Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Click the image below (they took away our search box!). Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's Fr. Z's
"catholic" search for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TKS: I had EWTN radio on a couple of hours ago and there was a broadcast from the LA REC. I’m seldom listening to EWTN anymore as more and more of those priests/bi shops/card inals I don...
- TonyO: Emilio, I too had hoped that Archbishop Gomez would turn things around in LA. However, while almost ANY bishop was likely to be a big step up from Cardinal Mahoney, from the moment I heard...
- richiedel: Gotta love the statement by Ambrogetti : “ 230;the last paragraph in no way changes the significan ce of Benedict 8217;s previous comments.& #8221; They weren̵ 7;t previ...
- robtbrown: Msgr. Dario ViganòR 11;or whoever was behind this disaster 8211;is both shrewd and naive-stup id. Shrewd because he knows he is practicing CYA by reading the entire letter, while...
- JustaSinner: Dancing puppets? Wombyn Bishops? A “fab ulous̶ 1; priest fashion show? Did I miss anything? I mean, other than the presence of the Holy Ghost̷ 0;
- Grateful to be Catholic: Does anyone else think it’s strange that, back in the 60s, just as internatio nal travel and satellite communicat ions were becoming common and globalizat ion was...
- tamranthor: I guess it is appropriat e for them to hold this “eve nt” during Lent. Looking at that material is certainly penitentia l. For those who believe the newish Archbishop should...
- QuietContemplative: Conversati ons of this nature always put me to mind of the quote by Chesterton : In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and...
- maternalView: One of the ideas I’ve been trying to emphasize to my teen is to judge something by whether it helps you see and strive for the good, the true and the beautiful. I didn’ ;t...
- tho: If you are in hell as an unrepentan t sodomite, or, possibly an adulterer, could it be possible that Cardinal Kasper and Pope Francis will make the forgivenes s of those Mortal sins retroac...
- Peter Stuart: God bless you indeed, Vincent196 7. Characters like Kasper and James Martin make me feel very weird and isolated. As another SSA Catholic struggling to be faithful, it’s very...
- David: The most ominous of the items in that list of interests to me is “Sem inary ReformR 21;. These people know that the single element most destructiv e to their program for the Church...
- TonyO: Egyptian, I think the acronym should be Ass o’US CatP . To pronounce that: (you have to read this phonetical ly) ass o us cat pee. Just doing a public service for geriatrics who...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z wrote: …the effect of a Sunday morning Asperges! Amen! [“He y, Scratch! CATCH!R 21;]
- Spade: “Ove r and above that, for a universal Church (in an age of high mobility), the ability to worship in a common language is most important. ” A year or so ago one of my favor...
- Emilio: What I don’t understand is how this event has been allowed to continue all of these years under the leadership of Archbishop Gómez. It’s a yearly nutfest of heterodoxy , disguised as a...
- JesusFreak84: I’m amazed they actually said “ord aining married men” instead of “let ting priests marry.R 21; That’ ;s more accuracy than I would̵ 7;ve expec...
- maternalView: May I suggest that those who wish to be dismissive of your valid points on getting the liturgy right first know exactly what they are doing? They know you are correct. But it takes...
- The Egyptian: [Hey! It’s an abbreviati on!] more like an aberration a departure from what is normal, usual, or expected, typically one that is unwelcome. synonyms: anomaly, deviation, depart...
- Sconnius: Yeah, the Shrine status left IHM when Fr Mersberger was reassigned to a different parish but our current pastor is working on a small side project to get the status back. Alas, the...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: @ The Chicken, God love you, really. Your comments are always quite informativ e and helpful. While I cannot pretend it wasn’ ;t painful to read your original reply, I bet the...
- rcg: Wow! Nice shooting, Ma Z. I guess it really does take a Spartan woman to bear a Spartan man. (“Z” does not stand for “Zeugma”).
- acardnal: I think folks should Tweet EWTN and thank them for NOT broadcasti ng this event this year as they have done in the past. Mother Angelica would be pleased.
- The Egyptian: Is it just me or is there really nothing on that list that does not counter or at least hint at dissent to the teachings of the Catholic Church?? Ass. of U.S. Catholic Priests, me...
- dbf223: For an event featuring two cardinals and Bishop Robert Barron, that is easily the most hideous website I can even imagine. Is their web designer 8217;s experience all in tinkering with...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- UPDATES – More of and about The Letter™ of Benedict XVI on the booklets
- Fr. Stravinskas breaks it down to the essential
- The Three Days of Darkness 2018 are underway in LA!
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2018 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: Innocence, Penitence, Priesthood
- ASK FATHER: Blessing objects through plastic wrapper, box, etc.
- UPDATE – JUST TOO COOL! Battle Flag of LEPANTO reproduction available!
- Card. Kasper: homosexual relationships are analogous to marriages
- LENTCAzT 2018 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: Priests and confidence
- NEEDFUL BOOKS NOTICE and a maternal CHALLENGE COIN update
- A “digital” Synod?
- LENTCAzT 2018 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent: Suicidal Secularization v. The Mass
- My View For Awhile: Maternal Edition
- UK: 29 April 2018 – Rosary on the Coast – London Oratory Trip to Ramsgate
- LENTCAzT 2018 28 – Tuesday in the 4th Week of Lent: “They would pay any price for an hour!”
- READER FEEDBACK: “I want to be treated as an adult when it comes to catechesis and the Sacred Liturgy.”
- @CatholicCincy repudiates @JamesMartinSJ et al. homosexualist event
- Priestly Feedback: “entirely familiar realm in an entirely hostile world”
- LENTCAzT 2018 27 – Monday in the 4th Week of Lent: Which of the sons am I?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes and a ‘Laetare’ Sunday ROSE POLL
- Bulletin blurb from 1967 from a Long Island Parish
- JUST TOO COOL: Unboxing my new portable altar – UPDATED!
- LENTCAzT 2018 26 – 4th Sunday of Lent – Laetare: Benedict XVI on confession
- Communion in the hand. Wherein Fr. Z rants and provokes.
- ASK FATHER: Mass without proper gear? Pusillanimous stingy ignorant pride.
- LENTCAzT 2018 25 – Saturday in the 3rd Week of Lent: Stones at our neighbor’s face
- BOOKS RECEIVED and a strong recommendation and a new liturgical rites manual
- 9 March – St. Frances of Rome
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday of Lent- Laetare: Prompt devotion, eager faith, here and now
- LENTCAzT 2018 24 – Friday in the 3rd Week of Lent: The massing of our sacrifices
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Detroit
From the Detroit News:
A balanced budget in Detroit might be something only prayed for, but few could imagine Motor City managers raiding church offering plates for revenue.
Yet new drainage fees from the city’s Water and Sewerage Department may do just … Continue reading
Having given talks at the DIA for Call To Holiness, and having raised up the Sacrifice in a Missa Cantata for Septuagesima, this is my view for now after yet another flight delay on this multicity trip
I had more … Continue reading
I am in Detroit! I just finished giving talks on sacred art at the Detroit Institute of Arts, a great museum.
Now that I can visit a gallery, I noticed a splendid Christological Goldfinch!
Here is a painting by Benozzo Gozzoli from … Continue reading
Back on the road after the great Legatus meeting and a few short days with my mother.
Now I am heading North, but not immediately to the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue. No . I get to … Continue reading
I am at the Detroit Institute of Art for the day. After the court decision, some of the art here will surely be sold off. Ah the fruit of the decades long efforts of liberal democrats!
In any event…
This … Continue reading
Detroit has joined the ranks of the bankrupt.
When I have been driven around in Detroit I had a sense, in some neighborhoods, of what the Russians did to Berlin: looked like a war zone.
What caused the phenomenon “Detroit”, a great … Continue reading
The 14th Call To Holiness conference has begun in Detroit. Originally this conference was convoked as a remedy, response, corrective to the pernicious and dissenting Call To Action thingy.
The conference is being held at a large Byzantine Catholic … Continue reading
Those of you anywhere near Detroit will be glad to know that the 14th Call To Holiness Conference will be held on Saturday, 13 October. Lot’s of information about the conference HERE. Today is the last day (until midnight EST) … Continue reading
I haven’t posted much about the birds at the feeder. This, and a recent trip to the Detroit Institute of Art, gives me a chance to use a feature the blog’s software offers and which I have never used.
Here are … Continue reading