Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- jaykay: SG: oh no, not being sceptical really – to Tracer, many (if not all, that being proper to the Deity) things are possible! I just wondered whether one could in fact fly Rome-Londo n...
- DeGaulle: JabbaPapa, your interpreta tion may well be right and I hope it is, but I’m afraid that my initial reaction to this statement was to attribute the Sixth Commandmen t to possi...
- teachermom24: Having come into the Catholic Church out of a Protestant denominati on where truth (or their version of being right) was an idol, this makes sense to me. I see the dangers and tempt...
- The Masked Chicken: There is a line in the movie, Airplane, where a hipster is on the plane speaking apparent jibberish and an older older woman stops the stewardess and says, “It okay. I...
- Philippe Martin: I agree that CongarR 17;s theologica l ideas and expectatio ns, are – out of a direct or indirect exposition , who knows? – very much in Francis 217; mind....
- JabbaPapa: We must be careful not to fall into the temptation of making idols of certain abstract truths. They can be comfortabl e idols, always within easy reach; they offer a certain prestige and...
- SimonK: Imagine a person who loves reading theology books, but who doesn̵ 7;t love his neighbour. Whose faith is all in his head, and not at all in his heart. Who would rather read a theol...
- Nan: Most of the snow has melted. Spring adult education starts next week, for the month of May. I have the Catechism, the Ukrainian one because we don’ t have our own. quo vado, more prayers...
- stephen c: Chasjwd – Chesterton was right about a lot of things and wrong about a lot of things. He was wrong about heresy always being an exaggerati on of truth. Some heresies were just...
- stephen c: This has been one of the best threads I have ever read on the internet … My good news is not so personal, except insofar as prayers for those we have never met are personal (I hope...
- GrumpyYoungMan: LarryW2LJ, I’m dealing with the same issues – why not just be clear??? The lack of clarity makes it easy for one to (uncharita bly?) assume that the goal is to “...
- Charles E Flynn: The Roman Catechism, also known as The Catechism of the Council of Trent, is once again available from Baronius Press: https://ww w.baronius press.com/ book.php?w id=56&a...
- JustaSinner: Going home to see my family.
- Semper Gumby: jaykay: “But … he’s going to fly? Was that possible?& #8221; You are right to be skeptical about TracerR 17;s flight out of Rome two days later. In fact, the OVRA would have...
- acardnal: “For my part, I am promptly driven back to Scripture and sources such as the Roman Catechism and the Catechism of the Catholic Church to make sure that I have my feet on the groun...
- Joy65: quo vado praying for you and for your results. God Bless you for answering God’ s call.
- bobbird: The obvious rejoinder is the quotation of Christ: “I AM the way, the Truth and the life.̶ 1; Ergo, if someone made an “ido l” of Truth, he would be worshiping the One...
- LarryW2LJ: I’m a simple man – stuff like this makes my brain hurt. Can’ t he just come out and say what he means without turning everything into a jigsaw puzzle that we have to...
- mabvet: The rise of exorcisms was brought up by a caller to the Rush Limbaugh show today! Mark Steyn was spot on in his commentary .
- Malta: My friend Charles Coulombe wrote a book, “His tory of the Popes,R 21; it will be interestin g what Catholic historians think of Francis 100 years from now.
- Ave Maria: Mercy divorced from truth is not mercy at all. An interestin g article at https://ww w.catholic americanth inker.com/ Nice-Inclu sive-Catho lics.html this is about how being̶ 1;nic...
- Chaswjd: Perhaps the Holy Father was thinking of his Chesterton : ” “Every heresy is a truth taught out of proportion .” (Chesterto n in the Daily News, June 26, 1909.)
- Tom Kaye: If anyone would like to have a clearer picture of what Pope Paul VI thought about the Novus Ordo Mass read: “Pau l VI, Epistle Cum te to Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, 11 October 1976:...
- quo vado: Completed requiremen ts for my seminary applicatio n last week. I hope to get a response early next month. Ora pro nobis!
- Mike: The idols we should fear are the ideologies that would wrest power from God, Who is Truth, and cede it to the autonomous Self or the authoritar ian pagan State. We must pray that the See of...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- A way to undo the knot of Pope Francis’ words about “truth idols”?
- Know the truth and the truth will make you … an idolator?
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: DNC
Rev. Mr. Kandra, at his blog Deacon’s Bench, has an entry about His Excellency Most. Rev. Thomas Tobin, Bishop of Providence.
Bp. Tobin has announced a switch of his political party. He has left the Democrats and has registered as a … Continue reading
In The Catholic Times, the newspaper of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois with my emphases and comments:
Think and pray about your vote in upcoming election
by Bishop Thomas John Paprocki
My dear brothers and sisters in Christ:
Much attention was given at … Continue reading
Democrats reject gift baskets, welcome letters from Christian groups in Charlotte because of their values
Gee whiz. Maybe Pres. Obama can jump in and change their minds on this one, too!
DNC Rejects Christian Gift Baskets
The Democratic National Committee banned dozens of Charlotte churches from distributing gift baskets to delegates because the congregations hold … Continue reading
Obama first approved ejecting God and Jerusalem from the party platform, and, after heat, got it changed later
The Catholic League has an interesting take on the Democrat Convention (DNC) and the reinsertion of God and Jerusalem into the party platform, and some information I didn’t know when I wrote about the topic HERE.
THE POLITICS OF GOD’S … Continue reading
From The Weekly Standard I learned that the Democrats, as the meet in their convention and as they rewrite the (savagely pro-tax-paid abortion on-demand) platform, have removed the word “God” from their working text.
“We need a government that stands up … Continue reading
From The Catholic League:
Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on a Democratic National Convention (DNC) event hosted by Catholics for Choice (CFC):
If the Ku Klux Klan were hosting a panel discussion on racial relations at the Republican National Convention, the … Continue reading
I offer the following not because I would rather see the corpse of Millard Fillmore defeat Pres. Obama in the 2012 election, but because it is pretty funny.
It could just be a gag, however. It doesn’t schedule praise for on-demand … Continue reading
Phil Lawler at CWN has some thoughts about the Card. Dolan’s upcoming appearance at the Dems’ Abortion Convention. He doesn’t so much consider whether Dolan should have offered to go or whether he should have accepted, but rather whether the DNC … Continue reading
Life News says:
Obama Rejects Catholic Leader for Democratic Convention Prayer
by Steven Ertelt |
Timothy Cardinal Dolan will deliver the benediction at the Republican Party convention but, in a slight to Catholics, pro-abortion President Barack Obama rejected Cardinal Dolan’s similar offer of … Continue reading