Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LeeGilbert: The sermon last evening at 5:30 was so good that I went to 7:00 Mass this morning to take notes. Fr. Dillard indicated that he was basing his homily on a book on Lent by Bishop Morne...
- Semper Gumby: Well this was quite a spectacle, I’m glad I made popcorn. One Mad Mom steps into the Squared Circle with BuzzFeed and pile-drive s them into oblivion. My guess is that One Mad...
- Josephus Corvus: Never having been to a Pontifical Requiem and looking at the photos on a small screen, I have a dumb question. In the first picture of the Kyrie, are the priests sitting on the...
- mikeinmo: Father spoke about the need for repentance for all of us, including himself. We all need to cast aside those things that separate us from God in any way. We had some traditiona l additi...
- Prayerful: A young priest in Our Lady of the Rosary chapel, Cork, preached on the reality of the devil, that not been able to see him makes him no less real. And at times, as when Satan scorc...
- Michael Haz: Today̵ 7;s sermon was delivered by Bishop Athanasuis Schneider, who celebrated a beautiful and moving Pontifical High Mass at our Oratory. Bishop Schneider reminded us of the need...
- David: I spent the evening recently with three young priest friends, all of them graduates of elite secular colleges before entering the seminary, and all having studied in Rome at some point, one...
- Adaquano: Our pastor reflected on how we should focus on our Baptismal promises during Lent, in particular we should be convicted in admitting that we fail to live according to our Baptis...
- Josephus Corvus: “Let us pray the Our Father that we are not led into temptation as Jesus was.” ; Father wasn’ ;t referring to anything other than the today̵ 7;s gospel reading...
- Mike: Our Lenten practice should be to seek liberation from the need to be in control and instead to accept the sufficienc y of God’ s grace.
- Stat crux dum volvitur orbis: I grew up in a communist country. And I see how Vatican rapprochem ent with communist regime resonates within the society 30 years later . Non-Cathol ics: “...
- Semper Gumby: Viva Cristo Rey! Great Wilderness Altar, relic, and movie. If I recall, some priests took up arms, and the Feminine (not feminist) Brigades performed critical tasks of smuggl...
- Semper Gumby: acardnal: Good point about access control. Lee Gilbert: Good point about violent and twisted video games, movies, music, and books. A colleague remarked recently that even Scholas...
- Oliverian: In reading your excerpts from VS, and your commentary , I was at several points reminded of something I read not long ago : “Hav e you yet resisted temptation to the point of the...
- clare joseph: I am so very happy to read these posts, first Father Z.’s , then yours. I came into the Catholic Church as an adult while living in Manhattan – a great place to be Catho...
- ex seaxe: I am still wanting to understand how the Orthodox churches can have developed a different approach. This is difficult because there is no single central agreement among them. However, it...
- HvonBlumenthal: Father, you have so far not given your take on the Chinese situation, and it would be extremely useful to have your ever reasonable thoughts. As an utterly unreasonab le traditi...
- JARay: There is little doubt that “The Bard” ; had a wonderful way with words BUT he knew the foibles and failings of humanity better than most and could put them into words with clear...
- Jenson71: My comment was more general than Chinese relations, following the general criticism of the commentato rs on EWTN to the idea of the Church transcendi ng “the clash.” But specifical ly to...
- stephen c: People should have a way to know if local crazy people are threatenin g , on the internet, to go on a local rampage. There is no easy was, right now, to log in to Facebook or Google and...
- HighMass: The Church is in deep need of Prayer, and another St JPII & Pope Benedict XVI. So much confusion in the Church today Blessed Mother Pray for Us
- APX: if I could be so bold as to ask you and your outstandin g readership base to please pray for us and all Law Enforcemen t at this time. Yes! Please! I recently lost a family member who was a...
- ArthurH: A old HS friend, a big fan of SofG Abp Fulton Sheen, just sent this to me yesterday: One of Sheen̵ 7;s later talks on the nature of the demonic, the diabolical . https://ww w.youtu...
- Kathleen10: Jenson, I don’ t know what you are talking about. Maybe I misunderst and, but in my opinion you have not delved into reality, you are talking pie in the sky daydreams about...
- David: I love Fr. MurrayR 17;s contributi ons to these discussion s, since it is so obvious that he thinks the Vatican has gone off the deep end, but he’s a good priest and doesn̵ 7;t...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent:
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
- Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
- ASK FATHER: Why can lay people read at Mass?
- ASK FATHER: When should babies be baptized?
- OLYMPICS 2018 12 Feb: CURLING!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: @DouthatNYT on state the Church under Francis (terrific) – John Rist in Reading Augustine series (a scream)
- Benedict XVI’s resignation 5 years on. Your thoughts.
- Carmelite Nuns seeking Priest Chaplain
- JUST TOO COOL! Wherein Fr. Z is AMAZED at … coincidences? I think not.
- Concerning lying by omission, the perils of words, and the advantages of silence
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Doctrinal Preamble
The Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” takes this occasion to announce that, in its most recent official communication (6 September 2012), the Priestly Fraternity of St. Pius X has indicated that additional time for reflection and study is needed on … Continue reading
From the intrepid Andrea Tornielli:
The latest version of the doctrinal preamble – discussed by cardinals of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and approved by the Pope – is considered by the Holy See to be definitive and … Continue reading
I was sent a link to an article in The Remnant on the SSPX situation. The article contains the following statements:
Instead of harassing Bishop Fellay to sign a doctrinal preamble, the Vatican should require every superior, university president and ordinary … Continue reading
At the National Catholic Register there is a long interview with the new Vice President of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”, His Excellency Most Reverend, J. Augustine DiNoia, OP.
He said that, since he hasn’t actually begun his work at the … Continue reading
I have just started to read SSPX Bp. Galaretta’s contradiction of the “Doctrinal Preamble” offered by the Holy See in advance of reconciliation.
It is in French right now. HERE.
In the meantime, His Hermeneuticalness, Fr. Finigan posted a request to pray … Continue reading
Three people have come up to me with questions. I am getting text messages on my phone. It seems SSPX Superior Bishop Bernard Fellay is in Rome to meet with officials of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith … Continue reading
In data 17 aprile 2012 è pervenuto, come richiesto nell’incontro del 16 marzo 2012, svoltosi presso la sede della Congregazione per la Dottrina della Fede, il testo della risposta di S.E. Mons. Bernard Fellay, Superiore Generale della Fraternità Sacerdotale … Continue reading
I have read Andrea Tornielli’s report on Vatican Insider that SSPX Bp. Fellay as SIGNED the CDF’s “Doctrinal Preamble”. Italian HERE.
Il superiore della Fraternità San Pio X ha sottoscritto il preambolo dottrinale proposto dalla Santa Sede, anche se con qualche … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons!According to pius.info the German FSSPX district website, the “Kanzelverkündiging” below was read in all churches and chapels of the district.
To one observer who wrote to me, “it looks like the are preparing the FSSPX-faithfull for … Continue reading
Holy See Statement about SSPX and avoiding “ecclesial rupture of painful and incalculable consequences”
I thought something was coming!
This is from the Holy See Press Office:
COMMUNIQUE CONCERNING THE SOCIETY OF ST. PIUS X
Vatican City, 16 March 2012 (VIS) – Given below is the text of a communique relating to the Society of St. Pius … Continue reading
You know about the “Doctrinal Preamble” which the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith gave to the SSPX. The SSPX issued a preliminary reaction to the Preamble. Now they have sent the CDF a more precise response, which the … Continue reading
I am sure that, given some stories going around that the SSPX might refuse the CDF’s “Doctrinal Preamble”, there should be an article in L’Osservatore Romano (on the site in English, Spanish, French, German, Portughese and, of course, Italian) entitled:
On … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have posted something from DICI, an interview with SSPX Superior Bp. Bernard Fellay. In this interview Fellay speaks about the “doctrinal preamble” given to the SSPX by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
Why … Continue reading
I have gotten email after email suggesting that the leadership of the SSPX has effectively rejected the CDF’s “Doctrinal Preamble”. Reports are sketchy and I don’t want to post more.
As I look thought various links that have been sent, I … Continue reading
From the DICI site of the SSPX comes this:
On October 7, 2011, a meeting of all those in charge of the Society of St Pius X was held in Albano, Italy, during which the Superior General, H. E. Bishop Bernard … Continue reading
On Gloria.TV there is an interesting video interview with the Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”, Msgr. Guido Pozzo, about many matters concerning the SSPX, the talks with the Holy See, and the traditional form of the Roman Rite. … Continue reading
During an interview the SSPX Superior for Germany, Fr. Franz Schmidberger, made and interesting comment about the Holy Father’s visit in Germany. Original German.
He gave an opinion about the style of the Papal Masses.
The following is from the translation provided … Continue reading