Search Fr. Z’s Blog
Art by D Burkart
You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Shopping online through Amazon?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
- un-ionized said There is an online article by Jean M. West called...
- un-ionized said For more info see the Wikipedia entry called Testi...
- un-ionized said Most of the wierd things that the early Quakers di...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Wow! Thanks! I especially liked how the Feminist i...
- Venerator Sti Lot said un-ionized, Really? – whew! What little I...
- moon1234 said We have been so lucky in Madison with bishop Morli...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Imrahil, Arabic is the authoritative language (so...
- RobJ said Perhaps some minds could be persuaded by communica...
- PTK_70 said Nice….. If they come in before SSPX, I guess...
- MWindsor said I’m off the air for a while as well. Not bec...
- acardnal said “Zuhlsdorf’s Law states that, in the very mo...
- Broggi66 said The Diocese of Davenport is my home diocese and I...
- Dom Gregory said After great catechesis and preparation, I started...
- jhayes said Supertradmum wrote the pastor himself axed a preci...
- un-ionized said VSL, you are correct about the Koran schools. Tota...
- Gilbert Fritz said Imrahil, In other words, a complicated situation;...
- Sixupman said Prompted by an accidental happening upon a parish...
- e.davison49 said Supertradmum: I’m sorry to read about your s...
- kiwiinamerica said Whatever happened to “diversity”? I th...
- un-ionized said And Miriam was one of the most common names. Moses...
- un-ionized said VSL, All of the early Quakers were orthodox Gnosti...
- Imrahil said Thanks by the way. It was nothing big, I just hear...
- Supertradmum said Sadly, the Davenport Diocese is my home parish. I...
- Venerator Sti Lot said un-ionized, Thanks for the further details! I am s...
- Henry Edwards said “I am sure many of those anti-ad orientem bi...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Thanks Fr. Z and un-ionized for the translation re...
- jhayes said I think Fr. Hunwicke has the answer: Let’s b...
- un-ionized said I found it online http://www.gph.gov.sa/qurantrans...
- Rosary Rose said God bless Cardinal Burke! Fr. Z, if we click the l...
- un-ionized said The above Koran I mention is translated by two fel...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday: Zuhlsdorf’s Law isn’t finished with me yet, CW, and Echolink
- Feminist v. Christian
- WDTPRS – 10th Sunday after Pentecost: Mercy does not mean turning a blind eye to Justice
- The blog, donations and you.
- GIRM WARS: Another front opens in Iowa
- Card. Burke on Islam and our choices for the future
- WDTPRS – 17th Ordinary Sunday: Sin-Teflon and Demon-Kevlar
- 22 July: Happy FEAST of St. Mary Magdalene
- NOTE TO READERS: Registration, comments, Snail Mail and Email
- “Forward!” he cried, showing them the crucifix, “Victory is ours.” – St. Lawrence of Brindisi
- Why aging liberals are so nasty and so frightened
- #gopconvention reminds me of two wonderful things
- Advice to new priests in first assignments who suffer under liberal pastors. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Is it a sin to laugh or joke when in need of confession?
- Z-SWAG: HOLY MASS – TURN TOWARDS THE LORD AGAIN!
- Why are certain people afraid of “ad orientem” worship?
- Implementing ‘ad orientem’ worship with charity, prudence and courage
- PODCAzT 149: Interview with Fr. Richard Heilman – Part 2
- Aspirants to Religious Life, Priesthood, DEBT, and You – ACTION ITEM!
- A US bishop “expects”, but doesn’t command, that Mass be said “facing the people”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- The Church in Germany is crashing and burning
- ASK FATHER: Last prayer at the point of death
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Odd Brit Sandwich, Priest Killer Pasta, Beautiful Youth Missal
- WDTPRS 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU!
- Crowd-funding project to restore a Roman painting of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday: UPGRADE and the aftermath of Zuhlsdorf’s Law
- Canon 212 in the 1983 Code and the Internet: edgy new Catholic news aggregator page
- The Polish translation of GIRM 299 on the position of the altar
- Excommunicated women’s ordination advocates meet with official of Secretariat of State
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: Dr. Peters
I can’t resist this one from Dr. Peters: Lighter fare: [thanks for the homage] can bad Latin save a papacy? by Dr. Edward Peters I got an odd one a few days ago (okay, I get lots of odd ones, … Continue reading
“But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema.”
First, pray for Thom Peters’ continued recovery. The well-known canonist, Thom Peter’s father, has a great post at his place, In The Light Of The Law. My emphases and comments. About ‘women’s ordination’, what if Gabriel appeared and said… Except … Continue reading
Dr. Ed Peters, the Canonical Defender, has migrated his excellency canon law blog from Blogger to WordPress. Go check his new place out and spike his stats! Click HERE.
I posted about the Mercy Sister in Phoenix who approved a direct abortion at a Catholic hospital. The local Bishop, confirmed that she had incurred an automatic excommunication. Then a story emerged that she, Sr. McBride, had been reconciled. I … Continue reading
What do these words have in common: cathedraticum, dicastery, juridic, quinquennial, Referendary, Signatura, and vindicative
The Canonical Defender, Prof. Peters, at his excellent blog In The Light Of The Law, has this fun post: Taking Microsoft to canon law school This has never happened to me. I’m typing away on a canon law paper, just … Continue reading
The Canonical Defender, Ed Peters, has another post about NY State Gov. Andrew Cuomo, aggressive promoter of contrary-to-nature unions. Cuomo is, he claims, catholic. Dr. Peters doesn’t have an open combox on his excellent blog In The Light of the … Continue reading
Last year I attended a Canon Law Conference at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe near LaCrosse, WI hosted by now-Card. Burke. It was great! Card. Burke is again hosting a conference this year! 9-10 August. I received this … Continue reading
ORIGINAL: Published on: Feb 26, 2011 Dr. Ed Peters, canonist, may be able to add “indefatigable vivsectionist” to his CV if he keeps up this pace. A few days ago, he exposed problems in a statement from the Diocese of … Continue reading