Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- exNOAAman: Rolling into history. Interestin g. http://sym bolic-mira ge.blogspo t.com/2018 /06/its-ti me-to-spec ulate.html ?m=1
- CandS: I looked over the Russian document from the Wilson Center site. I thought it was going to be a scan of handwritte n notes and difficult to read. It is all typed up in a PDF that can be OCRed...
- maternalView: I’m all for being charitable but there does come a time when you do have to call someone out on their behavior. I have family members who decide to ignore questions put to them...
- Dismas: Vatican I detailed the boundaries of infallibil ity. So, if someone (perhaps not even physically manifest) is determined to push for heterodoxy in the Church, yet is cognizant of an impen...
- maternalView: Everyone around him should be scrutinize d as to whether they knew or participat ed in similar behavior. I believe there are more. The Church will not flourish in the US until we root...
- Dismas: As a survivor of the Rembert Weakland episcopate , I must say that Cardinal McCarrick must have had some serious connection s, dirt, and influence at many levels in numerous places. Every...
- maternalView: Thanks be to God! Prayers were heard! Too late of notice for me to get there this weekend. But I’d sure like to be there for FatherR 17;s first Mass back!
- HvonBlumenthal: It is insufficie nt merely to say the right thing. The right thing has to be said at the right time. The right time in this case was before the vote.
- Peter Stuart: What to say. Well, 40 years ago my SSA was busting to get out and the Bishops said I should sing silly songs and vote Democrat (while they were doing all that and God knows what...
- benedetta: Also, I agree with the above poster that an Eastern Catholic patriarch at the helm would be extremely renewing for the universal Church.
- Kathleen10: robtbrown asks the proper question, why is McCarrick still a Cardinal? McCarrick is still a Cardinal because it’s [“it ’s 8221;̷ 0;??] a big boys club of disor...
- benedetta: His whole hearted offering of communion to pro abort pols in DC was suspicious , to say the least, particular ly in that his defense of the practice was incoherent and lacking in reason...
- Joy65: We Ordained 7 men to the Priesthood in our Diocese this morning. This gives me such GREAT hope and joy for Our Church. ALL Priests, Religious Brothers & Sisters, Deacons, Seminarian s,...
- Hidden One: If there̵ 7;s another sexually misbehavin g prelate who “eve ryone̶ 1; knows about̷ 0; I hope “som eone” ; speaks up now.
- Fr. Kelly: Dear Kenneth Since the Diocese of Lincoln is a small diocese, there may or may not be many who interpret it this way, but I am one of them, and in my interpreta tion I am in line with...
- Verygrateful1: Fr. Z, This letter uses exactly the same wording that was used to excuse McCarrick& #8217;s sex with adult men. Here’ ;s the quote from a National Catholic Register Article from...
- PostCatholic: “Unc le Ted” was an open secret for years. Richard Sipe has written extensivel y on his efforts to make the Apostolic Delegation and the Holy See under BXVI aware of very...
- robtbrown: The Astronomer says, It’s an unfortunat e fact that the Lavender Mafia (LM) is a notoriousl y well-known self-prote ctive network of actively sodomite clergy that alternativ ely...
- Amerikaner: He should be required to live out the rest of his days, in prayer and penance, in a monastery, particular ly one with the extraordin ary form.
- NBW: McCarrick should be removed. McCormick will have to stand before God Almighty for his actions, and for the souls he has damaged and scandalize d. God sees all and will judge accordingl y. As...
- robtbrown: Paul of St Paul, Dreher does not point out the high number of vocations. It was someone who commented. The heavy lifting was done in DC by Cardinal Hickey. Anyone ordained there by...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The Church is infested with filth. (I seem to recall that was Pope Benedict XVI’s word.) But where are we to go? The world is even filthier. [It is horrible, but it is, on...
- David L Alexander: In 2010, I wrote the following: “I predict that in the coming decade, bishops will no longer limit themselves to turning on their priests, but will begin to turn on one...
- Southern Catholic: ” I told him that on the Catholic Right, I found a strong unwillingn ess to contemplat e the possibilit y that mandatory celibacy played a role in creating a culture of...
- Malta: I really admire Rod DreherR 11;but of course he converted to Orthodoxy after investigat ing the priest abuse scandal, and some details I won’ t repeat here. But I have a friend who...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Phillips of @SJCantius will NOT be allowed to return to public ministry after he was exonerated
- Concerning Card. McCarrick
- URGENT UPDATE – Fr. Phillips EXONERATED! UPDATED!
- Dubious dubia about the Dubia
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: eclipse
It occurred to me that we might ask God for specialized help today.
Almighty eternal God, who by Thy Word created the cosmos and set in motion all that has being, should it be pleasing to Thee, for the sake of … Continue reading
The Atlantic is pretty much a joke. However, they take themselves seriously. This story seems… seems… not to be an intentional joke.
Read and be amazed. It exemplifies the Left. You can’t make this up.
From Daily Caller:
The Eclipse Is Racist … Continue reading
And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars…. Luke 21:25.
At NASA I see that, one year from today, 21 August 2017, the shadow of your planet’s moon, in a great total eclipse … Continue reading
TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN: Scientists and sky watchers are converging on the northeast coast of Australia, near the Great Barrier Reef, for a total eclipse of the sun on Nov. 13/14. For researchers, the brief minutes of totality … Continue reading
TRANSIT OF VENUS TODAY – rarest of all eclipses – 5 June 22:10 UTC – 6 June 4:50 UTC – the last in our lifetimes
NOTE THE TIMES, below, in UNIVERSAL TIME.
Explanation: Today Venus moves in front of the Sun. One way to follow this rare event is to actively reload the above live image of the Sun during the right time interval and look for an unusual circular dark … Continue reading
The other day the Full Moon was at perigee (the closest point during its eliptical orbit). At Astronomy Pic of the Day has a great comparison of “Supermoon” and the Sun, taken with the same equipment. You can see that “Supermoon” … Continue reading
There was a partial eclipse of the Sun today, Spaceweather reports, but you had to be in space to see it. More precisely, you had to be the Solar Dynamics Observatory in geosynchronous orbit 36,000 km above the surface of … Continue reading
ante diem vii idus apriles
ludi Megalesia (day 4)
30 A.D. — crucifixion of Jesus (one reckoning according to the astronomical estimates)
303 A.D. — martyrdom of Calliopus at Pompeiopolis
310 A.D. — martyrdom of Peleusius at Alexandria
This is a fascinating question which … Continue reading
There was a partial solar eclipse of the sun yesterday.
Spaceweather has a photo of the Space Station eclipsing the eclipsed sun!
Click for large.
How often do you see a rising crescent sun?
Perpend and be amazed.
With the help of APOD.
And read here.
Sometime after sunset tonight, [The eclipse begins on Tuesday morning, Dec. 21st, at 1:33 am EST (Monday, Dec. 20th, at 10:33 pm PST)] the Moon will go dark. This total lunar … Continue reading
Did you see the Partial Lunar Eclipse?
I saw on Spaceweather that a photographer in Australia, Geoff Sims, did, and shot some photos. He put them together to show the outline of Earth’s shadow!