Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- chantgirl: This sounds like an uncharitab le caricature of Catholics who really believe what Catholics are supposed to believe. “Thi s sectarian tendency to maximize whatever is settled by...
- Ave Maria: Jn 8:  Then Jesus said to those Jews, who believed him: If you continue in my word, you shall be my disciples indeed.  And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you...
- PTK_70: If you acknowledg e “bib liolatry 8221; as a thing, and a condemnabl e thing at that, then you probably understand His Holiness. In other words, what teachermom 24 said. How about...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): teachermom 24 says: Having come into the Catholic Church out of a Protestant denominati on where truth (or their version of being right) was an idol, this makes sense to me....
- Toan: Another way truth can become an idol is when our time analyzing truth (including separating orthodoxy from heterodoxy , and heck, reading blogs) starts to damage our relationsh ip with God by...
- Sawyer: A charitable reading of the pope might propose that what he means is something along the lines of Aquinas 217; propositio n that we cannot know what God is, only what God is not; yet...
- Mike: A way to undo the knot of Pope Francis’ words about “truth idols” Those who live in Truth don’ t need to tie words into knots, any more than Our Lord (Who is Truth) did when He was on...
- WVC: I offer this not as a comment on anyone (including the Pope’ ;s) intelligen ce, but as a possible source of confusion. How many folks have personal experience dealing with Argentinia ns?...
- MrsMacD: Truth could not be an idol. False truth could be an idol. God is Truth. “The truth shall set you free.̶ 1; The modernist might like to frame truth as an idol to distract from all...
- Suburbanbanshee: I forgot to say that the worst cases of false zeal are from people who are actually idolizing themselves , and have their idol threatened . They cover up unholy envy with a false...
- ususantiquor: Father, Compare this from the Cardinal Archbishop of Newark at the pro-Franci s gathering at Villanova last week (from the Catholic Herald): “the Newark archbishop took aim at those...
- Suburbanbanshee: Weeeeeell, I think this is misdiagnos is. Usually when people get weird about pushing orthodoxy down other peopleR 17;s throats (and I speak from personal experience of mysel...
- jaykay: SG: oh no, not being sceptical really – to Tracer, many (if not all, that being proper to the Deity) things are possible! I just wondered whether one could in fact fly Rome-Londo n...
- DeGaulle: JabbaPapa, your interpreta tion may well be right and I hope it is, but I’m afraid that my initial reaction to this statement was to attribute the Sixth Commandmen t to possi...
- teachermom24: Having come into the Catholic Church out of a Protestant denominati on where truth (or their version of being right) was an idol, this makes sense to me. I see the dangers and tempt...
- The Masked Chicken: There is a line in the movie, Airplane, where a hipster is on the plane speaking apparent jibberish and an older older woman stops the stewardess and says, “It okay. I...
- Philippe Martin: I agree that CongarR 17;s theologica l ideas and expectatio ns, are – out of a direct or indirect exposition , who knows? – very much in Francis 217; mind....
- JabbaPapa: We must be careful not to fall into the temptation of making idols of certain abstract truths. They can be comfortabl e idols, always within easy reach; they offer a certain prestige and...
- SimonK: Imagine a person who loves reading theology books, but who doesn̵ 7;t love his neighbour. Whose faith is all in his head, and not at all in his heart. Who would rather read a theol...
- Nan: Most of the snow has melted. Spring adult education starts next week, for the month of May. I have the Catechism, the Ukrainian one because we don’ t have our own. quo vado, more prayers...
- stephen c: Chasjwd – Chesterton was right about a lot of things and wrong about a lot of things. He was wrong about heresy always being an exaggerati on of truth. Some heresies were just...
- stephen c: This has been one of the best threads I have ever read on the internet … My good news is not so personal, except insofar as prayers for those we have never met are personal (I hope...
- GrumpyYoungMan: LarryW2LJ, I’m dealing with the same issues – why not just be clear??? The lack of clarity makes it easy for one to (uncharita bly?) assume that the goal is to “...
- Charles E Flynn: The Roman Catechism, also known as The Catechism of the Council of Trent, is once again available from Baronius Press: https://ww w.baronius press.com/ book.php?w id=56&a...
- JustaSinner: Going home to see my family.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 25 April – St. Mark and Major Rogation Day
- A way to undo the knot of Pope Francis’ words about “truth idols”?
- Know the truth and the truth will make you … an idolator?
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: ecumenism
Vatican Insider has something today about some Lutherans who are getting nervous about the Holy Father establishing an Ordinariate for Lutherans, along the lines of that which he established for Anglicans.
“A Lutheran ordinariate? That’s a bad sign”
An ordinariate for Lutherans … Continue reading
Could there be an Ordinariate for former Lutherans in a way similar to those for former Anglicans?
It is hard for me to see how. Perhaps it could be possible.
The president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity said … Continue reading
Unitatis redintegratio applied: Episcopal “Bishop” not seated for installation of Archbp. Cordileone
Rex novus in Aegypto.
The other day Archbishop Cordileone was “installed” (a fitting word given the shape of the Cathedral in San Francisco). You may recall that just days before the installation the Episcopalian (Episcopal) “Bishop” of California, Marc Andrus, wrote … Continue reading
I was sent something from the California Catholic Daily about a member of parish liturgy committee who participated in a fake and sacrilegious “ordination” by Roman Catholic Womenpriests. My emphases:
A member of the liturgy committee at a San Francisco parish was … Continue reading
The Assisi inter-faith meeting for peace. All you have to do is mention it in some circles and the fireworks begin.
Benedict XVI, Pope of Christian Unity, has slated another meeting in Assisi, also an inter-faith gathering for peace. It will … Continue reading
UPDATE 26 May 0305 GMT:
From a reader:
Seeing today’s post on the new tiara made me remember that there is a list in the papal Caeremoniale Romanum of the days, other than the Pope’s coronation, when the tiara is actually used:
Quattro … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, comes this news.
Archbishop calls off Methodist ordinations
By David V Barrett on Wednesday, 25 May 2011
The controversial proposed ordination of Methodist ministers in Liverpool’s Metropolitan Cathedral in July has been called off.
On … Continue reading
There is a very smart post over at The Sensible Bond.
He deals with the beatification and the Assisi meeting and the important question of what ecumenism is.
My usual treatment is applied.
Blogging from the geopolitical epicentre of the culture of death … Continue reading