SHOPPING ONLINE? Christmas is not very far away…
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
GIFT FOR YOUR PRIESTS AND SEMINARIANS!
- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
“The liturgy is the principal organ of the Church’s Ordinary Magisterium.”
- Pius XI
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- robtbrown said Justalurkingfool wrotes, Did you like Buddy Holly,...
- robtbrown said MC, When I speak of Western music, I am referrin...
- robtbrown said should be analogy not analog.
- robtbrown said JabbaPapa, Almost everything you wrote is wrong....
- un-ionized said Nan is right as usual. How much of this discussion...
- robtbrown said MC, The 12 tone scale of Arthur Schoenberg is as...
- Nan said Bottom line? The energy present in Christ’s...
- Benedict Joseph said Supertradmum: Yours provides a fascinating insight...
- LeeF said At the NO parish I live in, or neighboring ones: 1...
- TDPelletier said May God have mercy on his soul (and mine).
- Nan said chantgirl, laicization is a modern invention; my a...
- teachermom24 said Thank you, Father. Your Advent podcasts are a life...
- Mike said There may be a peculiarly encouraging note about t...
- chantgirl said I have to admit that it blows my mind that a pries...
- jameeka said Yes! It’s a “pretty good problem to h...
- APX said FYI: Photos aren’t working except the last o...
- Zephyrinus said Dear Fr Z. Would you also include a Lectern Veil...
- MrsMacD said I can’t help but wonder why the Church doesn...
- Justalurkingfool said I had no intention of posting again but, since I h...
- JabbaPapa said The Masked Chicken : It would take a book to go in...
- JabbaPapa said robtbrown : God is bound by His own Essence No ...
- The Masked Chicken said Dear Matamoros, You wrote: “My understanding...
- Tony Phillips said The Church recognises non-Catholic and even non-Ch...
- The Masked Chicken said I had a much longer reply that got lost when my ph...
- The Masked Chicken said Dear robtbrown, It would take a book to go into th...
- ACTION ITEM! Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – WHITE | Fr. Z's Blog said […] Down the line we will have a new Black s...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay) said As happens all too frequently, when cool things ar...
- Matamoros said There needs to be a better understanding of what t...
- jameeka said Father Z, I love when you do a reading or an EF p...
- frpatrickop said Fr. Reginald Garrison-Lagrange: “The Priest...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Fidel’s Ignoble Exit and A Drink Suggestion
- ACTION ITEM! Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – WHITE
- ASK FATHER: Book recommendations for young men discerning priesthood
- ADVENTCAzT 08: Little drummer boys
- Veneral Sky Show
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Advent: LIONS!
- What marriage is and what it isn’t
- ADVENTCAzT 07: ‘If only things were different…”
- Leadership in the Church, Reading, and You (Fathers)
- Innovations which Vatican II did NOT call for, but which we got anyway.
- Anthony Esolen is under attack by Providence College
- ACTION ITEM! Petition in support of the Four Cardinals and Five Dubia
- ADVENTCAzT 06: Silence
- Just Too Cool: Measuring instruments altered by electromagnetic disturbances when placed on Christ’s tomb
- Douthat on The End of Catholic Marriage
- Confirmations in the Traditional Form of the Roman Rite
- IMPORTANT UPDATE – Dean of Rota: Pope could strip Four Cardinals of Cardinalate because of Five Dubia
- Ad orientem: “his perspective on the priesthood and the Mass has changed”
- ADVENTCAzT 05: Waiting… Hoping…
- For St. Andrew – Exsultet caelum laudibus
- BRICK BY BRICK: more ‘ad orientem’ news
- ADVENTCAzT 04: Suffering and Second Chances
- HOT Cyber Sales! 50% Off Sale On All Indulgences
- A saint for the young, rigid and compassionate
- Please follow Fr. Z on Twitter
- #GivingTuesday and You
- ADVENTCAzT 03: Francis’ Admonition to Priests
- Online Shopping, and You
- Fr. Z’s Annual Rant On Blue Vestments
- Once upon a time, there was this Pope who was “corrected”….
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: Egypt
More from the Religion of Peace in Egypt. From AP: CAIRO (AP) — After torching a Franciscan school, Islamists paraded three nuns on the streets like “prisoners of war” before a Muslim woman offered them refuge. Two other women working … Continue reading
From the Practitioners of the Religion of Peace… The story is from the Christian Science Monitor: In Egyptian village, Christian shops marked ahead of church attack (+video) The Saint Virgin Mary Church in Al Nazla is one of 47 churches … Continue reading
At The Blaze I saw a list of churches burned by the practitioners of the Religion of Peace. Sts. Nunilo and Alodia, pray for us. Alexandria Father Maximus Church Arish St George Church | Burned | Source Assiut Good Shepherds Monastery | Nuns attacked … Continue reading
While parts of Paris are enjoying long summer nights of car burning and rioting (HERE), Islamists are kidnapping Christian girls for resale purposes. A story from Persecution.org Christian Girls Being Snatched By Islamist Traffickers ICC Note: The recent political developments … Continue reading
Sr. Joan Chittister must be conflicted. On the one hand she is a Dorothy Day Wannabe. She’s a global community organizer! She’s a defender of the oppressed! On the other hand, Dorothy Day was dead set against the ordination of … Continue reading
An Irishman was walking down the street one day and, to his delight, he saw a big crowd surrounding a couple of blokes beating each other to a pulp. The Irishman, shoved and elbowed his way though the crowd to … Continue reading
Sts. Nunilo and Alodia, pray for us. From ahramonline: Army violently disperses new Copts’ protest Thousand of Copts organised a protest calling for the punishment of all those who attacked and injured pro-Coptic sit-in demonstrators on Sunday night in front … Continue reading
St. Nunilo and Alodia, pray for us. Assyrian International News Agency (AINA) — A mob of nearly four thousand Muslims has attacked Coptic homes this evening in the village of Soul, Atfif in Helwan Governorate, 30 kilometers from Cairo, and … Continue reading
It looks like Pres. Mubarak is not stepping down. I suspect some of the crowds may go bananas. Pray for Egypt and especially the safety of fellow Christians in this time of uncertainty.
There were attacks on Christians in Egypt. The Pope spoke out against attacks on Christians in Egypt. The Egyptian government resented the Pope. Where is the Egyptian government now? I’m just askin’….
From Catholic Culture: Policeman shoots 4 Christians in Egypt Less than two weeks after a church bombing in Alexandria left 21 Coptic Christians dead, an off-duty policeman shot four Christians on a train, killing a 71-year-old man. A fifth person … Continue reading
With a biretta tip to Rorate, I note a story on Ahlul Bayat New Agency that… well… read it yourself. My emphases and comments: CAIRO (Ahlul Bayt News Agency) – Egypt’s top Muslim cleric on Sunday criticised Pope Benedict XVI’s … Continue reading
Putting our problems as Catholics in the modernist world in perspective, here is a story from CNA. Priest says Muslim extremists want to rid Middle East of Christians Cairo, Egypt, Dec 19, 2010 / 06:02 pm (CNA).- An Egyptian priest … Continue reading