Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Michael Haz: The TLM parish to which I belong was “und erground 8221; for several decades following Vatican II. During that time, a span we refer to as the “Wea kland Era” the...
- Andrew: For secret communicat ions with priests, in order to avoid the bishop understand ing your covert messages, use Latin.
- The Masked Chicken: Three thoughts: 1. The symbol on the vestment perfectly summarizes the current pontificat e where theologica l statements are made with curves rather than straight lines. 2....
- seashoreknits: After all the tears of this past week, what a joy to share in this. It sure did make my day. Hail Holy Queen!!
- AA Cunningham: Ave Maria says: 19 August 2018 at 8:30 PM Read at every Mass at every parish in the archdioces e of Denver: https://ar chden.org/ letter-to- the-archdi ocese-of-d enver-on-t he-abu...
- Dan: “Mor lino vocations ?, Cupich. ?” “And you shall know them by their fruit̶ 1; We can also look at the fruit of the last 50 years after stripping our liturgy and our...
- Ellen: Our associate pastor preached. He began with a profound apology and a statement that no one deserves to be abused by anyone ever. He said it was so much worse when a priest who is there in...
- Markus: Important letter from our Archbishop : (silence, crickets) Regarding “sep aration of families 8221; on the border: 5 statements in August. Priorities .
- TonyO: There may well come a day when priests are not “all owed” ; to keep the seal of the confession al, and for that reason are hounded by the public authoritie s. Or (like in Califo...
- JonPatrick: Byzantine Divine Liturgy 13th Sunday after Pentecost. The Gospel concerned the owner who built a vineyard and leased it to tenants who wanted it for themselves so they mistreated or...
- Dismas: Looks like the Fishwrap is ginning up a petition to expel Bishop Morlino.
- Mallu Jack: Some more letter word counts Bp Morlino VS Cd Cupich Predator-M orlino 3 / Cupich 0 Punishment -Morlino 4 / Cupich 0 Seminarian s -Morlino 7 / Cupich 0 Penance-Mo rlino 1 / Cupich 0...
- JSPizzo: Amazing video! It’s beautiful to see such joy in a young soul!
- HvonBlumenthal: Another site is enthusiast ic about a story that the Pope is sending Archbishop of Malta Charles Scicluna to investigat e abuse in the US. Since, however, his investigat ion in...
- maternalView: I couldnR 17;t help it but as I read the comparison with Cupich I was reminded of this quote from his predecesso r Cardinal George: “I expect to die in bed, my successor will...
- maternalView: I was just thinking about this. I do think terrible times are ahead for Catholics. That was always in the cards but this current mess has helped that along. (As Father suggests ) I...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Bishop Barber, St. Margaret Mary, Oakland. Confirmati on sermon, since he didn’ ;t preach during the Mass: Since we were celebratin g the external solemnity of the...
- Robertlifelongcatholic: It was enough to make Cardinal Wuerl cancel.
- maternalView: The priest continued on from his homily last weekend, wherein he talked about worthy reception of the Eucharist and the need for confession , and punctuated his thoughts with examp...
- maternalView: The sad thing is there are laity who just don’ t want to admit this has anything to do with sexual morality. Assault and abuse, power and control, and secrecy are their prefer...
- hwriggles4: My dad passed away last night, so after staying up late with my family, I went to the 11 am Mass at a nearby parish. I had never been to this particular parish, and the priest spoke of...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: More feedback: Father Z, You have been a great consolatio n to me through the past several months. I am a new convert, received on Easter Sunday 2016 from a very fundamenta list...
- Chuck Ludd: Bravo. One of the most delightful aspects of the video of the Salve is that he is singing it in a genuinely joyful manner. The Salve is often sung mournfully , solemnly, or in a ̶...
- tamranthor: https://ww w.archbish opetienne. com/a-time -for-actio n-a-call-t o-prayer-p enance-for -healing The letter from our Archbishop . Seriously mealy-mout hed. Not one mention of the actual...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: teomatteo says: Morlino vocations ?, Cupich. ? That is a good question. The other day, I posted that Chicago had ONE guy going into major theology this year. I have since...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Eucharist
From a reader…
I have noticed an uptake lately in referring to first communion as first Eucharist, usually by people who insist on referring to extraordinary ministers of holy communion as Eucharistic ministers. The uptake seems frequent and widespread enough that … Continue reading
From a reader…
It is my understanding that if a Communion host or the precious blood has to be disposed, it is to be poured into water to dissolve/mix with the water, then poured into a sacrarium or into the earth. My question is, … Continue reading
I grew up Lutheran. I was admitted to Catholic Communion because I said publicly that I believed what the Catholic Church teaches.
I grew up Lutheran. It is of constant consternation and amazement to me that I have had to fight with Catholics over what the Catholic Church teaches about the Eucharist. I have met Lutherans who believe more about the Eucharist … Continue reading
Here we go again.
Pope Francis has offered some confusing observations about the possibility of Lutherans receiving Holy Communion in the Catholic Church.
I’m getting email… angry… alarmed… confused… sad… above all demoralized.
Edward Pentin has the best press breakdown I have seen … Continue reading
From a reader…
My husband and I could potentially have our three children (ages 5, 2, and infant) receive their remaining Sacraments of Initiation while on an extended visit with family in a different state. Though Latin Rite, we attended an … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, My son is three years old. I’m looking for a very simple way to explain the Eucharist to him. I have been pointing out the host to him and saying, “See that’s Jesus that Father is holding.”, … Continue reading
From a reader…
It is my understanding that the priest’s intention to consecrate is necessary for transubstantiation to take place. I know that there are Catholic priests out there that do not believe in the Real Presence. If the celebrating priest does not believe … Continue reading
From a reader…
The attached strongly worded letter was in our bulletin today and it has left me greatly disturbed. In the past two weeks we have found Jesus left on the floor, not once, but twice. I am also sickened … Continue reading
An old friend of mine, Msgr. Charles Mangan noticed my answer about safeguarding the Blessed Sacrament and sent me this to share with you.
“Ten Commandments of Reverence for the Most Blessed Sacrament”
Monsignor Charles M. Mangan
1. Attend Holy Mass on Sundays … Continue reading
From a reader…
Dear Father, I serve regularly at a large shrine which attracts vast numbers of non Catholics. Several of us have to be ‘on guard’ on Sundays to ensure that (mostly Hindu) friends of Catholics or just visitors don’t … Continue reading
From a reader…
My wife who is to be received into the Church at the the Easter vigil (Deo gratias!) recently asked me why in the Novus Ordo Missae one of the options for the Memorial Acclamation is “When we eat … Continue reading
From a reader…
I work at a religious supply store and yesterday a local religious sister came in and asked to be shown our selection of pyxes. I led her to the cabinet where they are kept and indicated that some … Continue reading
From a priest…
I am a new priest. My pastor tells me that after the Good Friday
liturgy, he buries any leftover consecrated hosts, so that the
tabernacle is “fresh” for the “new beginning” of Easter. Is this a
legitimate practice? It seems suspicious.
This … Continue reading
As you know, for the consecration of the Eucharist to be VALID, we must use wine from grapes. It can be fortified wine, but it must be wine (HERE).
Today I received a link from a reader which I am compelled … Continue reading
From a reader:
Today I was at daily mass at a local parish. At communion, a lady came forward with a napkin and held it out to the priest who was distributing communion. He proceeded to place three or four (consecrated!) … Continue reading