Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Sword40: ” [He seems to agree with a call that EWTN be “interdict ed” unless Raymond Arroyo is fired.] 221; And where is the “mer cy and forgivenes s and understand ing and toleran...
- Joy65: SO absolutely beautiful. Where could a smaller version of this statue be purchased? I would LOVE to give one to our Pastor.
- LeeGilbert: At our wonderful parish in Portland, we 1. Have a communion rail 2. Communion distribute d only by priests at that rail. ( How appropriat e that the priest in persona Christi distrib...
- clare joseph: If it’s true, this is extremely cool, and I’ll bet Our Lady loves it.
- Joy65: I would be MORE than happy to receive kneeling. I already receive on the tongue. Hopefully they will bring back the kneelers.
- jameeka: How very beautiful!
- tamranthor: When churches are remodeled and altar rails done away with, and Jesus is put in a closet somewhere, then the church building itself tends toward Protestant ism. The architectu re of...
- ejcmartin: Frankly I am surprised that “social justice” warriors like the Jesuits would stoop to such cultural approbatio n. (One Canadian university refused to offer yoga unless it was taught by...
- Ben Kenobi: When I went through my discernmen t I had to assess the question, “If my church were wrong about God and his mission, who is in the right?R 21; It was easy enough to do what so...
- APX: Little by little the thought may gradually prevail: “If even the parish priest does not pay attention to the fragments, if he administer s Communion in such a way that the fragments can be...
- hwriggles4: This reminds me (Yes, Really) of the time our 6th grade CCD class did meditation – it was the late 1970s. We closed our eyes and our instructor led us. As a kid, I didn’ ;t...
- David: Fr. Andrew: People aren’ ;t taking penalties about papal election laws very seriously these days, are they?
- David: Very, very interestin g to me this coming from Cardinal Sarah right after Cardinal MüllerR 17;s splendid remarks about the nature of the papacy. I sense the “bon i” are...
- tho: JARay, I accept your correction . What I was trying to say, in a rather clumsy way, was that allowing the so called spirit of VII to take over the church was very destructiv e.
- S D Molokai: Although not prohibited , I’ve been discourage d from receiving communion on the tongue while kneeling at my parish. Something about not showing unity with the other parishi...
- Sid Cundiff in NC: So good that someone in the upper church hierarchy is against in the hand. I’m not holding my breath for something to be done to stop in the hand.
- The ol catholic try: I think I have finally figured out why Jesuit “pov erty” ; goes a looooooooo oooong way. If they are fudging the numbers this badly then they are bound to tally some...
- rhhenry: Well, seeing as how they’ ;re already contorting themselves doctrinall y . . .
- Ave Maria: I think these truth tellers like Fathers Rutler and Murray need to watch their backs!
- Knight from 13904: I hope Raymond Arroyo covers this story on his show tonight. Ask Fr. Gerald Murray what the heck is going on in this diocese???
- Sawyer: Saint Ignatius Loyoga?
- rtjl: Hmm… .. Well, Dominicans have a way of praying with the body consisting of various prayer postures that is not yoga at all. May I recommend these instead? http://opc entral.org /resou...
- ChrisP: Spadaro, that guy from the IMF, Card Wuerl, PF …and the list goes on. They are all now quite worried, to the point of stoatish apoplexy, as the boat is leaking. Until now, it has...
- lawoski: The teaching of yoga at a Jesuit high school is not a new phenomenon . I attended a Jesuit high school on the west coast in the mid-1980 8217;s where one of the priests taught a class...
- acardnal: Fr. Rutler is likely to get Blocked on Twitter by Fr Spadaro with commentary like that! A badge of honor.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: excommunication
Prof. Ed Peters, canonist (whom I still think is wrong about a question concerning Mass obligations – but I digress), has posted something instructive about catholic politicians who truly need some medicinal help from Holy Mother Church.
We enter in medias … Continue reading
I am going to keep the combox on moderation.
A site HERE is reporting rumor that…
I have been informed of an upcoming clandestine meeting of clerics who were recently expelled from the FSSPX. These priests were invited to leave the Society after … Continue reading
From the blog of The Canonical Defender, Dr. Edward Peters, comes this:
Some thoughts occasioned by Bp. Wcela’s essay on female deacons
by Dr. Edward Peters
Writing in America magazine, Bp. Emil Wcela (ret. aux. Rockville Center) is encouraging wider public debate on … Continue reading
From VIS and Vatican Radio (Bolletino in Italian):
CDF issues declaration on canonical status of “so-called Greek-Catholic bishops of Pidhirci”
Given below is the text of a declaration issued today by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith concerning the canonical status … Continue reading
From a reader:
Some relatives told me they were considering joining the Polish National Catholic Church. I see from what you have previously written they have valid sacraments (that’s good) but they don’t seem to be in union with our Pope … Continue reading
Remember presidential candidate Newt Gingrich’s disturbing remark about “implantation”? I wanted a clarification about that comment… coming as it did from a two-year, and therefore recent, convert to Holy Church.
In the meantime, Mr. Gingrich as made a clarification. HERE at … Continue reading
From a reader:
This morning I attended a Mass that was celebrated by a VERY old priest; just a simple daily Mass, nothing fancy, no smells or bells.
When it came time for the prayers of consecration, it seemed as if the priest could … Continue reading
This is the most important thing I will ever write on this blog. If I get nothing else through to any reader here, long-time visitor or new, I would want it to be this.
There is no sin that we … Continue reading
Via Catholic World News:
Priests hearing confessions at World Youth Day have been given the authority to lift the excommunication of penitents who have been involved in abortions.
Cardinal Antonio Maria Rouco Varela of Madrid granted that authority to all the priests … Continue reading
The Canonical Defender, Ed Peters, has comments on can. 915, a very important canon which has in the opinion of many been little observed.
Go to Dr. Peters page for his bit about Robert Mugabe’s reception of Communion at the Mass … Continue reading
From a reader:
I attended the class in our parish to become an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. I do not want to distribute Communion at Mass because I think it is not needed, but I would like to bring Communion … Continue reading
The distinguished canonist Ed Peter’s on his blog In The Light Of The Law has a good examination of the canonical censure incurred by Sr. Margaret McBride of St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix, AZ. Sr. McBride played a crucial role … Continue reading
I have received several emails asking about the juridical effect of the lifting of the excommunications of the SSPX bishops in January 2009.
Some are saying that the decree means that there never were excommunications in the first place, some are … Continue reading
From a reader:
I was reading your blog entry on "Graviora Delicta" and started to get a bit nervous.
Awhile ago, I served as sacristan at a Jesuit high school. With no disrespect to the Society of Jesus, you can imagine … Continue reading
A fast PODCAzT this time.
I am so grateful to the folks who sent the new microphone and the boom. They really help.
In this session I read Pope Benedict’s Letter to Bishops on the lifting of the excommunications of the SSPX … Continue reading