Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Elizabeth D: I don’ t have a problem with women seminary professors , as long as they are orthodox and sound and not radical feminists, and there are only a few (it would be seriously probl...
- JMody: Yes indeed, think about that for a moment. Think about how they squash any vestige of the faith as practiced by our own parents — I went to parochial school from grade 6, my brother...
- Dismas: @Kathleen 10 – Some good points, but you lost me on a few points. – Not going to Mass will do you far more harm than a given bishop will feel. As much as I believe a well...
- hilltop: Grabski, Byzantines teve, Gab, OK_Doc and George (all above) offer comments suggesting that the press should lay off the Catholics because 1) the press is biased against Catholics and/or...
- hilltop: You ninny nitpickers , you espy a mathematic al error in Ultrarunne r’s statements (based on your own math) and miss THE point. Ultarunner ain’t wrong. The press may very well be biased...
- un-ionized: capchoirgi rl, I don’ t know the situation there but it’s almost certain to have been vetted by the bishop.
- Joy65: Praying for your son Katherine as well as for ALL Priests, Religious Brothers and sisters, Deacons, Seminarian s, our Pope, Bishops, Cardinals and all discerning vocations to the Priesth...
- AA Cunningham: Gayness(si c) will continue to be overrepres ented relative to the general population due to imposed celibacy, frjim4321 says: 21 August 2018 at 7:29 AM “imp osed celibac...
- capchoirgirl: Un-ionized , THANK YOU! Fr. Stash is such a blessing!!
- george: Ultrarunne r: All private schools account for less than 10% of students: https://ww w.huffingt onpost.com /jack-jenn ings/propo rtion-of-u s-students _b_2950948 .html But remember, the...
- capchoirgirl: Katherine: Praying for your son!
- Sonshine135: So it beginsR 30;.
- bartlep: I like your suggestion s, Fr. Z, but my bishop might be busy with other things, like the interfaith sessions with the Muslim Brotherhoo d… https://ww w.breitbar t.com/big- governm...
- Elizabeth D: This is what happened to Jesus because of all our sins. “Ble ssed are you when… ;”
- Susanna: Precious! And goegeous vestment too. I shared this with my pastorR 30; he was really touched by it and told me the timing was perfect as there is a meeting at our parish this week which...
- Katherine: The idea that seminarian s need female teachers is simply ridiculous ! They have mothers, and sisters, and aunts, grandmothe rs, neighbors, and teachers 8230; It defies reality that...
- Fr Martin Fox: I certainly have no issue with good manly examples in seminary life. That said, I would encourage readers — who I assume are not very familiar with seminary life, and I̵...
- MaryofSharon: My parents told me about the homily of their young priest who has only been ordained one year. He spoke of the impact of the earlier scandals on him as he first began to discern his...
- MaryofSharon: Exceptiona l homily by a young priest just two years after his ordination . He spoke of his sorrow and anger and how he felt led, in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament last week, to...
- Kathleen10: frjim, agreed, any bishops who covered or enabled homosexual predators to continue need to be outed and removed. Totally agree. But furthermor e, if the church and the bishops will not...
- seeker: Sometimes I laugh out loud at the wit here. Jokes about chaps with no underpants and penetratio n ?It’ s OK if someone on a hard identity Catholic blog questions the taste of that....
- bibi1003: Dear God in heaven, protect our priests. Comfort and heal Fr. Hutsko and give him the strength to carry on. Surround him with love and encouragem ent. Please help his attacker truly...
- Semper Gumby: Kathleen10 : Thanks! Michael Haz: Thanks, and I phoned Mr. Beef to see if they’ ;d pay for your new keyboard. Unfortunat ely, Mr. Beef said he had a beef with that. Fr. Z: The...
- David L Alexander: “The first thing you must attend to at Mr. Beef, just as when you are attempting to write a comment on this blog or send me an email, are The Rules. They are detailed and...
- KT127: That’s a great idea! It will also likely encourage more attendance and participat ion from lay Catholic men. Win-win!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- An improvement to the “Ratio” governing formation of priests in seminaries
- Priest attacked: “This is for all the kids!”
- Collusion of the press against the Church
- Food for my cerebellum. Food for my reptilian brain stem. And my observation about coverage of The Present Crisis.
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: faculties
From a reader…
I recently read your post regarding the recently-announced changes to the validity of marriages witnessed by SSPX priests, and I am confused. How does this change anything? Doesn’t Canon 1108 already give bishops and pastors the power to … Continue reading
UPDATE 6 April:
I want to make a point. Specific marriages (that is, involving real people not theoretical cases) are assumed to be valid, unless they are declared by a tribunal not to have taken place at all. Some marriage ceremonies … Continue reading
From a priest…
Do the missionaries of mercy still have the faculty to remit censures arising from reserved delicts? I’m working with a priest who is worried (I think he’s ok actually). But if a trip to the missionary would be able to remit … Continue reading
From a reader…
A priest from Diocese X and a lay person travel by train to some place. During the trip the latter feels the need to confess sacramentally. The train at that moment is in Diocese Y, where the priest has no faculties … Continue reading
At the Deus Ex Machina Blog there is a video of a presentation given by Card. Burke (bow low here) on the occasion of the publication of his book Divine Love Made Flesh in Polish.
Included at the blog is some … Continue reading
For the Year of Mercy Pope Francis has (in an indirect way) granted to the priests of the SSPX the faculty validly to absolve penitents in routine sacramental confession. HERE
Under normal circumstances, the priests of the SSPX do not … Continue reading
More needs to be said about this whole Pope Francis, SSPX lack of faculties, Year of Mercy confessions thing.
As I wrote before, the Pope, in his letter to Archbp. Fisichella, did NOT say that the priests of the SSPX will have … Continue reading
I want to clear up something related to the upcoming grant from Pope Francis (I repeat… upcoming, and not yet) to SSPX priests to absolve the sins of penitents who come to them.
Some people are claiming that the SSPX already validly absolve sins … Continue reading
From a reader…
After I became Catholic, some friends introduced me to tradition and I began to attend a SSPX parish with them. I went to confession at this SSPX parish for several years. I have heard that the validity of SSPX confessions … Continue reading
From a reader…
Today I went to confession at a nearby bilingual Novus Ordo parish. The priest was visiting, and informed us that he didn’t speak Spanish and could only hear confessions in English.
I know that in the danger of death … Continue reading
From a reader…
Why is absolution from an Orthodox priest valid but absolution from an SSPX priest invalid? I was told by someone that this is one argument from the SSPX as to why their Confessions are valid.
This won’t satisfy some … Continue reading
From a reader:
Howdy Fr. Z [Fine, thanks!]
I had a question about fulfilling my Sunday Obligation at an SSPX chapel. First let me say, I am 100% with the bishops and the pope. I prefer the Latin Mass. I am about 50-60 minutes … Continue reading
From a reader:
Can my Bishop refuse to allow a priest from another diocese to say the TLM in our parish? Our priest needs someone to cover the Latin Mass during the summer and a priest from an another diocese volunteered … Continue reading
From a reader:
While doing research I came across something that said that one of the faithful who knowingly receives a Sacrament from a priest without faculties commits a sin. I have always attended SSPX chapels and gone to confession there. … Continue reading
From a reader:
Being that it’s ordination season and there’s lots of new young priests eager to do priestly things, there’s something that crossed my mind recently. My understanding is that in order to hear confessions and absolve sins, priests need … Continue reading