Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- stephen c: People should have a way to know if local crazy people are threatenin g , on the internet, to go on a local rampage. There is no easy was, right now, to log in to Facebook or Google and...
- HighMass: The Church is in deep need of Prayer, and another St JPII & Pope Benedict XVI. So much confusion in the Church today Blessed Mother Pray for Us
- APX: if I could be so bold as to ask you and your outstandin g readership base to please pray for us and all Law Enforcemen t at this time. Yes! Please! I recently lost a family member who was a...
- ArthurH: A old HS friend, a big fan of SofG Abp Fulton Sheen, just sent this to me yesterday: One of Sheen̵ 7;s later talks on the nature of the demonic, the diabolical . https://ww w.youtu...
- Kathleen10: Jenson, I don’ t know what you are talking about. Maybe I misunderst and, but in my opinion you have not delved into reality, you are talking pie in the sky daydreams about...
- David: I love Fr. MurrayR 17;s contributi ons to these discussion s, since it is so obvious that he thinks the Vatican has gone off the deep end, but he’s a good priest and doesn̵ 7;t...
- Benedict Joseph: Watching it last Thursday evening was a profound consolatio n. Fr. Murray is truly a superior man. His clarity of thought, his ability to articulate complexiti es with precis...
- Ellen: I work on a college campus and one of the Catholic students said that he got some odd looks because of his ashes and heard someone say: “wha t’s that on his face” ; and the...
- Lorra: God bless the NYPD! I will gladly pray for the NYPD daily, and I am going to place each and every one of them in my spiritual family so that Our Lady can watch over them. Thank you, Father...
- MacCheese: This is well worth viewing, and listening very carefully to what Fr. Murray says. Fathers clarity is exceptiona l.
- Jenson71: One would think the Pope desiring cultures, religions, and countries living peacefully among each other despite their difference s would be rather non-contro versial. St. JPII taught...
- jameeka: Enriching and consoling advice. I love the last lines. “…as far as the past, trust in the Blood of Jesus Christ! 221;
- Semper Gumby: “The Reich began violating the deal almost as soon as the ink on the treaty was dry.” ; Socialists like to sign treaties with disappeari ng ink. Then, if they’ ;re...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am confident that readers here will say a prayer to St. Michael for your protection from all spiritual and temporal harm! And tune in to MondayR 17;s podcast for sure!
- Semper Gumby: Excellent, Lentcazts. Thanks Fr. Z.
- catholic patrolman: Hey Father Z, As I informed you when we first met, you are an honorary member of our fair society and we are honored to be able to post your daily podcasts on our Facebook page...
- OldProfK: According to some reports I’ve read, people saw something. And said something. And the FBI apparently couldnR 17;t be bothered. Whatever they had that was better to do̷...
- Elizabeth D: I knew Jacek a bit and have been praying and am praying for him. I did not know Fr Kunz but his murder impacted everyone including me. Very fitting to remember him with a traditiona l...
- PTK_70: @pbnelson& #8230;.You call it “jab ber” , I call it “con sideration -worthy 221;. You like your question, I like mine. In fact, I reject your question and theref...
- acardnal: The MSM jumps to discussion s of gun control immediatel y because that’ ;s their agenda. But HOW did the shooter get into the school?? I have yet to hear anyone discuss this topic....
- Kathleen10: frjim, please see “Par is Isn’ t Paris Anymore 221; and tell us why any nation should want to look like Paris these days. Liberals are so fascist. Raymond Arroyo dares to...
- tho: There was an article that I just read, about a cop killer being escorted through the Cook County jail, where he was applauded by some of the inmates. We are being inundated by people who have...
- Kathleen10: Multi-face ted problems are not solved with single response solutions. These shootings did not happen in the 1950’ ;s. What was better then? Those of us here know. People outside...
- The Masked Chicken: The first thing I must say is that the families of the shooting victims in Florida have my sympathies . Thankfully , I have never been at the scene of a mass shooting, but they...
- LeeGilbert: Without discountin g anything you’ ve said about the MSM, Father, there are several other factors that deserve a very close look, chief among them the imaginativ e formation of...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
- Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
- ASK FATHER: Why can lay people read at Mass?
- ASK FATHER: When should babies be baptized?
- OLYMPICS 2018 12 Feb: CURLING!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: @DouthatNYT on state the Church under Francis (terrific) – John Rist in Reading Augustine series (a scream)
- Benedict XVI’s resignation 5 years on. Your thoughts.
- Carmelite Nuns seeking Priest Chaplain
- JUST TOO COOL! Wherein Fr. Z is AMAZED at … coincidences? I think not.
- Concerning lying by omission, the perils of words, and the advantages of silence
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke explained and explains today’s “Festum Ovorum”
- ASK FATHER: Could a diocesan priest choose to say only the TLM?
- Your parish priest and YOU.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: family
CHRISTMASCAzT 2017 29: Family in charity, not diversity, tolerance, inclusivity, sensitivity, choice …
Here is CHRISTMASCAzT 29, for Sunday in the Octave of Christmas, the Feast of the Holy Family in the Ordinary Form calendar.
Sister Lucia, the long-lived seer at Fatima, told the late-Card. Caffarra (R.I.P.):
“A time will come when the decisive battle … Continue reading
There is a long standing political tool employed to eliminate opposition which is associated with the past, or a defeated regime. You can see evidence of this tool all around Rome, in monuments both ancient and recent. It is called damnatio memoriae… … Continue reading
I have gotten to know Ruth Institute and its chief Jennifer Roback Morse over the years at Acton University. I direct the married and the engaged, and those who sense that their vocation is to the married life, to this … Continue reading
This Sunday we have “left over”, called also a “remaining” or even a “Where the heck is this Sunday in my Missal?!?” Sunday.
Sunday’s Collect, for the 5th Sunday (left over) after Epiphany – Dominica V quae superfuit Post Epiphaniam – in the pre-Conciliar … Continue reading
Today, Friday 13 May 2016, is the 99th anniversary of the Our Lady’s first appearance to the three shepherd children near Fatima, Portugal. Next year: 100. Portentous, given what’s going on in the Church these days.
I, for one, am not … Continue reading
UPDATE: I fixed the glitch at 24:02-24-22. Sorry about that. It was a lot of reading – with interruptions – and editing together. If you had an “overlap” in that time range, you can download again or listen again and … Continue reading
In the Novus Ordo, or Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite, on Sunday after Christmas we focus on the Holy Family.
Our context is Octave of the Nativity of the Lord. An “octave” is a period of eight days when liturgical … Continue reading
Sunday’s Collect, for the 5th Sunday (left over) after Epiphany – Dominica V quae superfuit Post Epiphaniam – in the pre-Conciliar 1962MR, happens to have survived for the 5th Ordinary Sunday in the Novus Ordo.
So how can Sundays be ‘left over’?” Here is what … Continue reading
I’ve added more feedback.
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED Published on: Oct 25, 2015 @ 18:10
As I mentioned in an earlier post, since I have been on pilgrimage, I’ve tried to be in as much of a Synod Free Zone as possible.
However, I am gifted … Continue reading
My friend Fr Murray has good comments in his EWTN analysis of the Synod’s work:
Fr. Murray touches on Pope Francis’ words about decentralization of the Curia. Robert Royal admits that he doesn’t know what Francis meant by decentralization and … Continue reading
The formerly nearly ubiquitous John L. Allen, Jr. has an outstanding interview with the great Francis Card. Arinze, 82 year old Cardinal Bishop of Velletri-Segni and quondam Prefect of Divine Worship. Allen dubs His Eminence as Africa’s Lion in Winter.
You should … Continue reading
1726 GMT: I just saw Card. Napier live on EWTN who had come directly from the Synod Hall.
He made a bit of a correction to his own correction/addition of Fr Rosica. Be sure to pay attention to this.
ORIGINAL Published on: Oct … Continue reading
Francis in Philadelphia speaking off the cuff about the family with a more or less simultaneous translator.
Start at 1:58:29 to about 2:20:30
As I am in Tokyo, I haven’t kept my eyes glued to coverage of the papal visit of Pope Francis. I did, however, tune in via Slingbox to watch His Holiness address Congress. I had wished for stronger, clearer, obvious, … Continue reading
I know that it seems like a torrent of things pertaining to the theme of the Synod of Bishops is coming at you. It feels like that for me, too.
That said, here is another title for your consideration.
Bishop Jean Laffitte, … Continue reading
The other day I wrote about two upcoming books. The “sequel” to the Five Cardinals Book™ is coming. HERE
The Eleven Cardinals Book™ is on its way.
Eleven Cardinals Speak On Marriage and the Family
Edited by Winfried Aymans the Eleven Cardinals Book is … Continue reading
I received word of a conference coming up in Rome. The conference is clearly part of an organized effort to influence the proceedings of the upcoming Synod of Bishop on the family… and not in a good way. This … Continue reading
Remember the secretive, liberal, French, Swiss, German meeting of the circle around Card. Kasper’s proposal at the Gregorian University? They met to strategize about how to use the upcoming Synod, et al.
Remember the recent meeting of presidents of African … Continue reading
ACTION ITEM! US CLERGY! Sign letter urging Synod to uphold Catholic teaching on marriage and family!
I want to bump this to the top so that more priests will see it after a busy weekend.
Published on: Apr 25, 2015 @ 9:58
You will recall that hundreds of priests in England signed a letter, published in the Catholic Herald, … Continue reading