Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- HvonBlumenthal: Not long ago, as a Knight of Malta I greeted a chaplain of the order and attempted to kiss his hand, as I do the hands of all priests. He snatched his hand away and said “No, no,...
- stpetric: I recently celebrated Mass at the central Catholic church in Istanbul — where Christians are 1% of the population , and Catholics are a minority of that 1%. Where we in America have...
- Jerome Charles: BBC reports that per Vatican tv footage, many people greeted the Pope during that event and kissed his ring. So, I don’ t think we can assume that it’s the Pope’ ;s...
- Kerry: “ 230;part of who God created me to be”. The Image of God part, or the Likeness of God part?
- Kerry: ” A spokesman for the Charles Schulz syndicate said Lucy was ‘amu sed’ at Charlie Brown̵ 7;s reaction when she jerked the football away” ;.
- Kathleen10: These men are emptying the church and with this type of unloading, locking the door too. People have their own crosses and burdens in life, there is so much misery out here, the last...
- Jerome Charles: “Fur thermore, if he can live with “integrity ” after this, then it could very well be that he will have a far higher place in heaven than I ever will. He has been offered a...
- Kathleen10: A few years ago a kind priest blessed an object I had brought to church. He didn’ ;t know me, I didn’ ;t know him. I was grateful, and had the impulse to kiss his hand, and...
- Fr Martin Fox: What makes this egregious is the way it was done. If the Holy Father did not wish to have his hand kissed — perhaps he has pain or feels awkward about a rash — then the...
- Marine Mom: For to carry burdens without complaint and without letting the whole world know about them, to face personal problems without casting them on to others backs; this is to be responsibl e...
- Richard_amdg: Having considered the difference s between the two images, I think His Holiness resisted the faithful at Loreto because they were not appropriat ely attired. Isn’ t it obvious?
- haydn seeker: In full charity, videos on the internet aren’ ;t always what they appear, as the Covington Catholic saga showed. Apparently plenty of people did kiss the papal ring at Loreto...
- Fr. Kelly: What is a little unnerving is that this scene occurs after the Annunciati on Mass at the Holy House of Loreto you can see it beginning about 1:12:19 on the video that Fr. Z posted below....
- The Cobbler: Having just read Dietrich von Hildebrand ’s “My Battle Against HitlerR 21; (werenR 17;t you recommendi ng that a while back, Father?), I have a hunch that triumph...
- JamesM: I know of several EF Vigils celebrated at similar times. The reason being that they are celebrated in ChurchR 17;s where there is already an OF Vigil being celebrated . They work with...
- Ave Maria: Jesuit priest as a ‘spi ritual director 8217;? What could go wrong?
- OrdinaryCatholic: I have a serious question. Why or what is it about the Jesuits that makes them so contrarian to the Catholic Faith? When did this start? Why did it start? I’m serious here,...
- lordhavemercy: My spiritual director, thank you Lord for him, is very orthodox wears the cassock, and celebrates the Tridentine Mass, also gets similar horrible letters about him sent to him...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Thank you for these. I seem to get my rear in gear and on the road for work faster when I listen to these first thing in the morning.
- JustaSinner: Yes the homosexual s wrecked that word AND stole the rainbow!
- AA Cunningham: An Extraordin ary Form Solemn High Mass was celebrated at The Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Denver last night offered by Father Mason Fraley with Father Joseph...
- THREEHEARTS: does not the Catholic Church, as opposed to the catholic church, teach that you cannot have the virtue of charity without the virtue of religion and vice versa. This was taught in...
- rwj: I am wondering: Is it because the priest and publishers are so far gone from sacred things that they they think of themselves in various ways when hearing Annunciati on, rather than the...
- Amerikaner: I doot know if it is true, but I once heard that the reason episcopal rings were kissed was because they contained relics and that was a way of venerating them rather than the wearer.
- Lurker 59: Ah, but see the priest HAS acted upon his desires IF he has internaliz ed and made them a part of his constituti ve being, by formulatin g his sexuality as “hom osexual 221; and...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Catholics and the kissing of rings… or not. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Jesuit-run homosexualist Amerika’s latest pro-sodomy blasphemy
- LENTCAzT 2019 21 – Tuesday of the 3rd Week of Lent: From the very threshold
- ALERT! Registration queue
- ASK FATHER: How early can the Easter Vigil begin?
- VIDEO: Francis’ Mass ad orientem at Loreto and… something else
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas
- LENTCAzT 2019 20 – Monday of the 3rd Week of Lent: The angel’s greeting to Mary
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci … with a quiz
- ASK FATHER: Bishop forces priest to use table altar instead of high altar for Extraordinary Form
- LENTCAzT 2019 19 – 3rd Sunday of Lent: Mass is not a souvenir
- Vicious letter to a young, faithful priest
- LENTCAzT 2019 18 – Saturday in the 2nd Week: God chooses the weak
- STOP THE PRESSES: Young people sing in the Illinois State Capitol
- Study Commission: no evidence women were ordained to the diaconate
- Your Good News – UPDATED
- Dots to connect
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2019 17 – Friday in the 2nd Week: The most efficacious devotion?
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: fasting
Ash Wednesday – Fasting, Abstainence, and You together with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
According to the 1983 Code of Canon Law for the Latin Church, Latin Church Catholics are bound to observe fasting and abstinence on Ash Wednesday. Here are some details. I am sure you know them already, but they are good … Continue reading
In his Letter to the faithful of the Diocese of Madison, Bp. Morlino (aka The Extraordinary Ordinary) recommended the observance of Ember Days in September as days of fasting and abstinence in reparation for sin. He reminded us that “some demons … Continue reading
Tomorrow is Good Friday. Let’s review our obligations before the day arrives so that we aren’t taken by surprise. Two days of the year we modern Latin Church Catholics are asked both to fast and to abstain from meat. According to the … Continue reading
I make suggestions at the end. At the top, Fr. Z kudos to Bp. Boyea! From Aleteia: Catholic Parish Solves Two Problems with One Lease Catholic Parish, 1; Abortionist, 0. After years of prayer, a Catholic parish in Lansing, Michigan … Continue reading
For those of you who may think that Lent is a pretty tough time to be a Catholic, giving up chocolate and all year in and year out, this came to me email today. This is what our forebears did … Continue reading
Now that we are coming up on Lent, people are starting to think about what may be eaten on Ash Wednesday and on Fridays. May I eat insects? May I eat crocodile? May I drink Mystic Monk Coffee? Yes, and … Continue reading
From a reader: The Holy Father has declared that next Saturday, September 7th, will be a day of prayer and fast for peace, for the whole Church. Do you think that, particularly as far as fast is concerned, that means … Continue reading
From a reader: I listen to the Catholic Channel on Sirius/XM a lot and yesterday a priest who is usually fairly reliable made the comment that it is a sin to fast during the Octave of Easter. My wife started … Continue reading
U.S. Bishops call for project of prayer, fasting to begin 30 DECEMBER to defend Life, Marriage, Religious Liberty – FR Z POLL
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks! POLLS BELOW! Did you know that the Bishops of these United States of America have asked for Catholics to pray, fast and abstain on Fridays, and take part in a holy hour each month? … Continue reading
From a reader: I have a question regarding what kind of penances I should do as a married layperson. I feel a strong desire to do penance both for personal sins and as a sacrifice for the conversion of my … Continue reading
“And he shall make all, both little and great, rich and poor, freemen and bondmen, to have a character in their right hand, or on their foreheads.”
Under the entry about our obligation to attend Holy Mass, someone posted this comment (I removed it to here): I’ve always had a fantasy where I make wallet sized Catholic obligation cards. These would have check boxes or punch boxes … Continue reading
It is a Christian custom that we fast before our feasts. Our friends at Rorate remind us that before 1965, 23 and 24 December were days of fasting and abstinence. May I suggest to you good readers that you do … Continue reading
If perhaps the Conference of England and Wales won’t be enthusiastic about Universae Ecclesiae I read this with pleasure from the site of Peter Jennings: Fish on Friday re-established by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales By Peter … Continue reading
From a reader: This year, the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary falls on a Friday. In the Extraordinary Form, it’s a first class feast. Meat would normally, therefore, be allowed (despite the Friday). However, in the universal calendar (ordinary … Continue reading