Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Nigelteapot: JesusFreak 84, The two posts I have seen of yours on this site has both been attacks on Catholics in the defense of the occult, specifical ly “wic ca” which is as “...
- HvonBlumenthal: The mentality of dabbling in ouija boards is not dissimilar to that of most freemasons : “Oh it’s just a bit of fun… .!”
- BrionyB: “By contrast, at Westminste r Cathedral in London, in a supposedly Protestant country, the confession box is manned 44 hours per week.̶ 1; The Cathedral priests do a fantas...
- Bellarmino Vianney: Unfortunat ely there are very clearly several “wic cans” ;/witches that attend Catholic Churches on a regular basis. This makes sense – they want to destroy...
- adriennep: Remember, the Devil hates Latin for a reason. The Catholic Church has it (history, tradition, good drama) and they don’t.
- PostCatholic: Sharing the view from over the fence: I find Wicca ridiculous . I’ve had people explain their “anc ient Celtic rituals 221; but just try asking them who Turenn, Morrí...
- Jacob: Yet such repackagin g is deceptive, Roys added, “but one that a generation with little or no biblical understand ing is prone to accept.” I watch a lot of Jeopardy! Biblical literacy has...
- Jacob: 1. Is Gower Abbey in any danger from the recent document on women religious and the moves to close their houses? Does their status as an abbey give them any protection ? 2. With the death of...
- bibi1003: Our beautiful church, built in 1850, was closed and our parish moved to a new, ugly concrete block auditorium of a church. The old church was sold to someone who made it into an event...
- JesusFreak84: Um, some of y’al l who are seeing the devil in painted kids’ ; toys are doing as much for Wicca as anyone else. When someone weighs the proponents and opponents of the...
- MrsMacD: For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood; but against principali ties and power, against the rulers of the world of this darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high...
- tho: Heart warming, and renews my faith in our future.
- AnthonyJ: On a personal note, I had a friend who was tied up with the occult. It put a strain on our friendship and I stopped associatin g with her. She contacted 3 years after our estrangeme nt...
- AnthonyJ: Wicca is definitely satanic. There is a new version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch on Netflix. The trailer for it doesn̵ 7;t even try to hide the pervasive satanism in the show.
- jflare29: Some years ago, a friend of mine who grew up at least tacitly Methodist had begun exploring Wicca. I wrote a letter of caution, then received her letter back; she wasn’ ;t very happy...
- Mario Bird: Mainstream ing paganism — I saw in an Alaska Airlines magazine that Oregon is using Studio Ghibli-sty le anime to advertise their tourism. There was a creature in the ad holding...
- Kathleen10: There̵ 7;s enough blame for everybody. Younger parents today are showing us what a weakened Catholicis m can do, not much. I can testify to this in my own family, where there are...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Anneliese says: You can’t blame it all on the clergy. You can blame the parents as well. Bad clergy and bad laity react upon each other, disedify each other, and multi...
- majuscule: A woman I know from my school days whom I have recently reconnecte d with and interact with on Facebook has admitted to being a “white witch” while also being a “Catholic” . White...
- carndt: Discord is so damaging to the soul and a family. I will pray for my brothers. Thank you for opening my heart to know they do have clean handles and there is hope for their souls.
- Dad of Six: Yes, to quote a certain Lone Star State parson: “It& #8217;s seems fun until you wake up one morning with a demon gnawing on your arm.” ;
- Southern Catholic: The education of the child starts at home, so I would put most of the blame on the parents, then the bishops and priests. I am in the same boat as Anneliese.
- HvonBlumenthal: The fact that Chesterton did not say it in so many words does not diminish the truth of the aphorism that a man who ceases to believe in God will believe in anything.
- Anneliese: You can’ t blame it all on the clergy. You can blame the parents as well. I had a terrible religious upbringing partly out of laziness and loss of faith from one parent and confu...
- Cafea Fruor: Actually, along the lines of UncleBlobb ’s comment, I think I would blame the breakdown of family life before I’d blame bishops and clergy. I think people turn to this...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: form of absolution
ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
FATHERS! This fellow’s note gives another example of why we priests must must must be careful and precise when giving absolution to penitents.
Use the prescribed form of absolution in Latin or appropriate vernacular language and say the essential words in … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
From a reader…
The reformed Rite of Penance added a whole bunch of stuff to the rite of confession—optional Scripture readings and so on—but I have never seen any of it used, even non-optional parts like how the priest should supposedly … Continue reading
From a priest….
Grace and peace.
Do you have an audio pronunciation of the absolution prayer (1962) or know of a link?
Thanks for the question.
Here is a brief PODCAzT, which can also be a PRAYERCAzT, about the forms of absolution, in … Continue reading
From a reader…
I now happen to live 10 minutes’ walk from the local FSSPX chapel here in London.
I don’t intend to make it my customary place for Mass (tempting as that is) unless and until a regularisation occurs – and … Continue reading
From a reader…
I’ve heard you say that one of the cruelest things a priest can do is hear your confession and not (at least) say “I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and … Continue reading
Everyone should go to confession regularly.
That said, sometimes it can happen that you will have a less than edifying experience of the priest confessor. Do not fret!
This even happened to me, recently. While out on the road, I stopped at … Continue reading
From a reader:
A confessor I go to has recently made it his practice to whisper the words of absolution while I am saying the Act of Contrition. The first time he did this I did not catch it and after … Continue reading
From a reader:
I went to confession at a neighboring parish that had recently received a 70-something priest who I know to be a bit free-wheeling as far as anything liturgical or doctrinal. This made me nervous going, but I needed … Continue reading
I get reams of email from people who, during confession, run into priests who don’t (or won’t) say the proper words of absolution, thus throwing them into doubts about whether or not they were validly absolved.
Under another entry I facetiously … Continue reading
From a reader:
While I am praying my Act of Contrition in the Confessional, I hear
the priest praying in Latin. Sometime I hear him say the Latin word
for excommunication and this always makes me afraid that he has judged
that one of … Continue reading