Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TRW: My grandmothe r took my brother and I camping when we were young. We accidental ly used her tube of Poligrip(d enture adhesive) instead of toothpaste . It was dark out and it took a good few...
- SAHMmy: I knew immediatel y where that photo comes from. It is at The Big Cross in Groom, Texas just off Interstate 40. I LOVE stopping there when I drive cross-coun try each year. It’s one...
- rhhenry: Ex labore infantium?
- Suburbanbanshee: O Lord, give us the faith of children and the heart of Yourself.
- hwriggles4: Sleep deprivatio n – reminds me of finals week at college. Unmatched clothes, unshaved faces, sweat pants, laundry piled up, room in disarray, etc. Yes – I am only human.
- JustaSinner: Laura Ingraham is a new covert, Maria Bartiroma is, and I believe a half dozen others are Catholic or converts. Unfortunat ely calling a priest ‘Reverand’ instead of Father has caught...
- JustaSinner: Least you caught it and it wasn’t icy hot! Blessed Easter, Father. You deserve all the best.
- hwriggles4: Went to last night̵ 7;s Easter Vigil. Our pastoral administra tor is a former Episcopal Priest and gave a good homily highlighti ng that we all have seen darkness and light. Father...
- Egad_Trad_Dad: Minds me of the old SNL skit about “Shi mmer” ; — the floor wax that’ ;s also a dessert topping.
- jameeka: Thank you for your sermon, Father Z. Father C’s Easter morning sermon (OF) First, he drew a parallel: Jesus was born in a cave and wrapped in swaddling cloth. When Jesus died, he was...
- AureEntuluva: Were you at St. Brendan’s in Bothell WA? This sounds like what I heard there
- bobbird: And I must add, especially to those whose parish priest insisted that the Mass would not proceed until volunteers came forth: if that happened to me, I would stand up and say, “...
- bobbird: On a camping trip, I once put dish soap into a Mac & Cheese concoction , thinking it was … olive oil. I was EXTREMELY PUZZLED as I stirred the mac & cheese and saw bubbles...
- AliceS: Father reiterated more than once that Jesus really rose from the dead. And was seen by many including his disciples. This was not just wishful thinking but something which truly happened. I...
- semperficatholic: HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA! TOO FUNNY!
- iamlucky13: Father talked about the Jewish hope in the resurrecti on, coupled with the doubt that would have naturally been felt that it could be a realistic promise. Then they had renewed hope...
- Henry Edwards: A note of thanksgivi ng for our EF Holy Week observance s at Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Knoxville (TN). For the first time in a half century and more here, we celebrated the...
- Maximilian75: I noticed the same thing @Karl Keating noticed. FNC leans more Evangelica l, that may be why… Still, at least they were willing to have the good Reverend Father on, as opposed...
- MissBee: Happened to me with diaper cream once. Got as far as putting it on the toothbrush .
- Karl Keating: I guess all these Fox News commentato rs must be Catholic. They all referred to their guest as “Rev erend̶ 1; rather than as “Fat her.” ;
- JeffC64: This is precisely why I only purchase shave creams or soaps that come in a tub for use with my brush. LOL
- Josephus Corvus: Here’ ;s hoping you were being observant and not just serving as a warning to others. Have a blessed Easter, Father!
- APX: Yes, I once grabbed a tube of Rub A535 instead of my toothpaste .
- Lurker 59: Indeed! My favorite, and too often repeated autopilot oops, is cracking my eggs right into the garbage disposal.
- GrumpyYoungMan: I’m with you – I reckon Beefeater could work in a pinch, but something more aromatic seems appropriat e. Maybe St. George Botanivore . Happy Easter, Father!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Wonderful wonderful photo
- It pays to be attentive, especially when you are really tired!
- Your Easter Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on bombings, Easter and our Catholic identity
- PASCHALCAzT 47 – Easter Sunday: Leave the shrouds in the tomb
- ACTION ITEM: Help for a traditional Catholic seminarian continues! – UPDATED… for EASTER!
- Benedict XVI on the Paschal Candle
- WDTPRS and AUDIO: The Exsultet – explained, translated, sung
- JUST TOO COOL: Fr. Z kudos to Our Lady’s Bees! They survived the fire #NDParis
- LENTCAzT 2019 46 – Holy Saturday: The Harrowing of Hell
- POLL: Foot-washing on Holy Thursday where you are – ORDINARY FORM
- “Behold, I make all things new.”
- #GoodFriday and You: Prayers for Holy Souls in Purgatory and Plenary Indulgences
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- Good Friday Reminder: Fasting, Abstaining, and You
- LENTCAzT 2019 45 – Good Friday: The ultimate pulpit
- TMSM: Holy Thursday Mass with the new vestments
- A good article in Crisis about France. Fr. Z adds a short rant.
- LENTCAzT 2019 44 – Holy Thursday: Sin is in the blood
- So a guy with gas cans walks into @StPatsNYC in Midtown Manhattan…
- ARRIVED: Tenebrae Hearse! And a successful bout with Zuhlsdorf’s Law
- PRAYERCAzT: What does the Latin Exorcism really sound like? FOR PRIESTS ONLY – UPDATED
- Fundraising idea for #NotreDame
- VIDEO: Interview with Fr. Jean-Marc Fournier
- WDTPRS – Spy Wednesday, the last Collect of Lent
- VIDEO: Interior of #NotreDame after the fire. WHEW!
- LENTCAzT 2019 43 – Wednesday of Holy Week: In a cataclysm, something must be salvaged.
- VIDEO – The last rite in #NotreDame was… this?
- About #NotreDame and the fire and the altar. Just sayin’…
- Fr. Z rants about #NotreDame fire and the Faith in the Church’s “eldest daughter”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Friday penance
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have the privilege of traveling to Western Australia for work in a few weeks and during my trip I will skip Friday. I leave the US on a flight on Thursday and after an almost … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a question and I think you are the perfect ossified manualist to give me the answers I need. I am a vegetarian. When it comes to Friday Penance, am I covered because I am … Continue reading
I’ve been texting with a Famous Catholic Author™ about today, a Friday in the Christmas Octave, and the obligation to do penance. I’ve received email about it, too. The Octave of Christmas does not have the “weight” of the Octave … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I am responsible for a brunch which is served after the Saint Patrick’s Day Mass at the Cathedral in my Archdiocese. This year, Saint Patrick falls on a Friday of Lent. I believe this means I … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hi Father Z, I’m confused about this Friday and the obligation to do penance this Friday. Our Bishops’ Conference (Canada) transferred the Feast of Epiphany to the Sunday, but we who follow the 1962 Calendar observe it on the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I’ll be deployed overseas this Thanksgiving Friday. I belong to a personal parish (FSSP) in a regular geographic diocese back home, but deployed I fall under the Archdiocese of Military ervices. Does the Pope Pius XII … Continue reading
We are in the Octave of Christmas, that stoppage of liturgical time when we can rest in place and contemplate the mystery of the Incarnation from various angles. During the Octave of Easter, we are not obliged to do penance … Continue reading
Grilled cheese sandwich by grilled cheese sandwich. Cheddar on rye, tomato basil soup. Behold the New Evangelization… that and the TLM everywhere. UPDATE: More Romano
From a reader: Would enduring a headache or migraine constitute a proper substitute for a Friday penance? I’ve seen in others how intense the suffering is. Enduring any illness can be penitential. Suffering can be offered up for the good of one’s soul … Continue reading
From a reader: I advised a friend that Catholics are either to abstain from meat on Fridays or to substitute another form of prayer, good work, or abstinence; and that she should confess if she failed to do this. In … Continue reading
POLL BELOW! From a reader: I was watching TV last night & on the program they were talking about fish & chips fried in rendered beef fat at a restaurant. Fish & Chips is one of my favorite Friday dishes … Continue reading
From The Catholic Spirit, the newspaper and site of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, comes this. With my emphases and comments: To assist statewide efforts to defend and define marriage in the Minnesota Constitution, Archbishop John Nienstedt has … Continue reading