Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Joseph-Mary said I stayed at this convent on my pilgrimage to the H...
- gramma10 said Oh thank you Fr. Z! I was blessed to be at the Chu...
- acardnal said Let us know if the “no gun” issue beco...
- JesusFreak84 said I would hope it’s real only because it’...
- Mary Jane said I’ve been to MOA once, a few years back. Not...
- oklip955 said Speaking of MOA. I was up visiting ( yes I know it...
- Dave N. said This is an absolutely fantastic excavation—definit...
- SKAY said I hope the area can be protected. These people ar...
- AnAmericanMother said The architecture of the church is a little unusual...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said Indeed. There were gang related shootings recently...
- Elizabeth D said When I saw this story yesterday I was confused and...
- GypsyMom said If this is the house where Jesus was raised, what...
- Gaetano said I am always amazed that Nazareth has one well, and...
- Eugene said Spectacular! …..and then this thought came t...
- Gerard Plourde said I agree that the “quest for the historical J...
- frjim4321 said I’m sure when they start jack hammering that...
- Theodore said Soft Target is a timely read given the latest thre...
- Latin Mass Type said Re frjim4321’s off topic comment on the live...
- Mike said Thank you, Father. Always five minutes well invest...
- benedetta said In other words, a Bishop who is unafraid to be ope...
- benedetta said The corollary to the fact of discerners and semina...
- Sonshine135 said Just looking at the development, it has no place i...
- The Masked Chicken said I know, my mere sight in a philosophy or theology...
- The Masked Chicken said “How exactly did we get from radioconciliati...
- Venerator Sti Lot said One gets the impression that there are many in Wis...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Details about Mr. Walker’s church membership...
- Mariana2 said Thanks Father! No small boost every day!
- andia said Fr David Balmer denies that he is the priest invol...
- clarinetist04 said That’s a great story. I used to do a lot of...
- Chrissin said At ‘New Advent’ -right? There was no...
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
For Easter: another ethereal music CD from the chart-topping nuns…
Support them with prayer and fasting.
"Let God arise! Let His enemies be scattered! Let those who hate him flee before His Holy Face!"
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- My View For Awhile: Close Call Edition
- Christ’s childhood home found?
- LENTCAzT 15: Wednesday of the 2nd Week of Lent
- Spectacular video of Mont Saint-Michel
- “They paved paradise and they put up a….”
- Renaissance triumphalist crowing both in bad taste and divisive
- UPDATED ACTION ITEM: Let’s get a custom breastplate for a Swiss Guard. We are ready to do it!
- ASK FATHER: Confession and absolution via text message? Phone? VOIP?
- LENTCAzT 14: Tuesday of the 2nd Week of Lent
- ASK FATHER: Stole-less confession. Okay?
- UPDATE: D. Madison: Bp. Morlino and the surge of priestly vocations (Parts 1 & 2)
- It’s NOT a “women’s issue” it’s a “human rights” issue.
- LENTCAzT 13: Monday of the 2nd Week of Lent
- ASK FATHER: Membership in a parish, borders, registration
- LENTCAzT 12: 2nd Sunday of Lent
- Internet to be regulated by Feds… what could possibly go wrong?
- Bp. Galantino, 66, resigned
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent: Purify your “spiritual view” lest God be offended
- Two years ago… Sede Vacante
- Hit job on Card. Pell because he’s doing his job
- LENTCAzT 11: Ember Saturday of the 1st Week of Lent
- Ancient Greek Fish on Friday
- Will Pope Francis be the only able-bodied diocesan bishop NOT to celebrate Mass of the Last Supper with priests and people?
- LENTCAzT 10: Ember Friday of the 1st Week of Lent
- ACTION ITEM! PLENARY INDULGENCE on FRIDAYS OF LENT!
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS (audio from Fr. Z)
- What the Duke wanted for his daughter
- 3 March RELEASE – PRE-ORDER new music CD for Easter from Benedictines of Mary
- St. Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows: Patron of Handgunners
- How US school lunches now compare to other countries
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
And for your cybersecurity…
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Tag Archives: funerals
From a reader…
Recently there was a huge funeral in our cathedral for a 32nd degree member of the Freemasons. The local TLM community is very upset and crying foul. It’s a mess. Could you offer some insight? I have friends in the … Continue reading
From a reader…
Can a Catholic who is divorced and remarried without an annulment receive a Catholic Christian burial?
Can. 1184 lists – exhaustively – those Catholics who may be deprived of a Church funeral:
Can. 1184 §1. Unless they gave some signs … Continue reading
A tip of the biretta to Pewsitter for this piece from the Worcester Telegram:
Bishop McManus worried that some omit funeral Masses
WORCESTER — Bishop Robert J. McManus is expressing concern that Central Massachusetts Roman Catholics are not scheduling funeral Masses for … Continue reading
Sermons for the older form, Extraordinary Form, Requiem Mass are to be pronounced only with the permission of the local bishop and are to be delivered after Mass concludes, while wearing no vestments.
There is a lot of wisdom in this, … Continue reading
From a reader:
Father if the Boston bomber was catholic could the church refuse to give him a funeral or burial in catholic cemetary under cannon law?
To the first question: Yes, the Church could refuse him a funeral.
We read in the … Continue reading
From a reader:
My grandmother recently died. She was a Lutheran, but we, her descendents, are Catholic. Who, then, should do the burial? A Lutheran minister, or our Catholic priest? Thank you, and please pray for her soul.
Canon 1183.3 states,
“In the … Continue reading
From a reader:
Is it right for a pastor to refuse a family’s request for a certain priest to say the funeral mass of a loved one?
There is no way to answer your question, given the lack of additional information … Continue reading
From a reader:
Is it wrong if not in fact sinful to attend the weddings and funerals
of non-Catholics? For as Pope Pius XI stated in his encyclical
treating on Christian unity, Catholics are never to participate in
schismatic or heretical congregations. I would … Continue reading
UPDATE 23 March 20:19 GMT:
From the questioner:
Father, I just wanted to thank you for your response to my question. I wanted to follow-up with you about the funeral.
The vigil and the funeral went beautifully. The priest did not make the … Continue reading