Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Glennonite: I note that the Lavender Mafia takes the specific liturgical color for penance: violet; and then twists it into an unrepentan t lavender.
- Supertradmum: Archbishop Scicluna of Malta, who forced the Chilean bishops to resign, as the expert on sexual abuse cases, has been appointed by the Pope to go to the United States and investigat e...
- Mike: Father distinguis hed four purposes of a Gospel passage such as that of the ten lepers: literal, allegorica l, moral, and eschatolog ical. I don’ t recall everything he said about each,...
- frjim4321: I wasn’ ;t commenting on propriety of such relationsh ips, rather commenting that those will be targeted as if they pertain in any way to the failure of the policers to police...
- Elizabeth D: There̵ 7;s no age appropriat e sexual activity outside of valid marriage. Priests who consider sexually active celibate priests to be acceptable offend Christ and His Mother and...
- Joy65: PLEASE listen to Father Larry Richards 8217; 7 minute homily from this morning. He was abused and he has the answer. https://th ereasonfor ourhope.or g/2018/aug ust-19-201 8-20th-...
- Prayerful: Fr talked of how the Gospel for the thirteenth Sunday has an utterly obviously literal meaning in respect of gratitude yet it can be read spirituall y, that the leprosy can be seen as...
- Charlotte Allen: @ChesterFr ank: Thanks for the heads-up on Haftina! The difference between the chasubles that Haftina shows on its website and those modeled in that “fas hion show” ;...
- Adaquano: Our pastor again addressed the scandals, stressing how the era of lazy, cultural, cafeteria Catholicis m must end and that we all called to live radical lives. He stressed that by dying...
- Maximilian75: The Pennsylvan ia scandal was addressed, thank God. A fantastic homily.
- TonyO: Scapegoati ng gay bishops, priests and seminarian is not going to help, it’s going to hurt. More than it already has. And, terrorizin g priests who are in age-approp riate sexual relatio...
- JabbaPapa: Real Presence, Death, warning against improper reception of the Sacraments , good theologica l instructio n on the Real, not merely symbolic nor representa tive nor abstract, purpose of...
- Gerard Plourde: The use of the Rite of Exorcism is a good suggestion . I also support the suggestion made by Fallibilss imo that the Rite be performed by the Universal Church. Traditiona l Catho...
- Subdeacon Joseph: There is no right to error in the Church because error seeks to destroy the truth of God’s divine laws and His divinely revealed soul saving doctrines. There have always been...
- Kathleen10: frjim, you make it really difficult to find common ground. I want to like you and love you, you are a priest, but what you have written here makes me wonder if we are members of the...
- Fr Martin Fox: FrJim said: And, terrorizin g priests who are in age-approp riate sexual relationsh ips as if this is in anyway causative of abuse, is simple projection . No priest of the Latin Rite...
- Malta: On another note, I hate it when I am out hiking and sheep fall on me: https://ww w.irishtim es.com/new s/ireland/ irish-news /hiker-hos pitalised- after-he-i s-hit-by-f alling-she ep-on-i...
- Fr Martin Fox: RobtBrown said: I have little use for the phrase “same sex attraction ” because it permits, and perhaps even encourages , that there is some link between close friendship among men...
- Malta: The first person pope Francis is going to visit when he arrives in Ireland is President Higgins. https://ww w.irishtim es.com/new s/social-a ffairs/pre sident-sig ns-same-se x-marri...
- Kathleen10: lol Fr. Z. The CD’s are fantastic. I only have one, Caroling at Ephesus, but my word, what lovely music. They offer all their CD’s at a very good price for the collection .
- GregB: tho wrote: * There are two types of discipline , imposed and self. Far and away, the majority of us need imposed discipline . * We are all born with Original Sin. We are all to some extent...
- straphaelguy: Today our associate pastor had the sermon. He started out with the phrase “mak ing the most of the opportunit y, because the days are evil. ” from the second reading, and...
- Fr Martin Fox: I talked about the scandals. I read the apologies of Cardinal DiNardo and our Archbishop , then I talked about righteous anger, and the need for the laity to act; I urged everyone to...
- frjim4321: = “bot her”
- frjim4321: “The n he goes on to underscore s what so obviously lies at the core of this crisis, namely, the influence of homosexual ity, not just pedophilia , but homosexual ity.” ; This...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
- Non-Catholics and Catholics alike wonder about changes to CCC 2276 on death penalty
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATE: Photos of seminarians Solemn Mass
- PODCAzT 165: Liturgical battles lost and won… and lost; don Camillo (Part X)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Gerhard Ludwig Müller
Back in December, First Things published a piece by the former Prefect of the CDF, Gerard Ludwig Card. Müller on the sacrament of penance. His observations on objective sin and subjective guilt, about knowledge, etc., are germane to a whole raft … Continue reading
Pope Benedict has written a longish letter to Card. Müller, once Prefect of the CDF and now… Card. Müller, on the occasion of his 70th birthday.
The German text is HERE.
The letter was written for a “Festschrift”, a commemorative collection of … Continue reading
At the Italian site La Nuova Bussola Quotidiana there are two stories which merit attention.
First, they report on the current kerfuffle stirred by the Left against Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, Bishop of Madison. The Extraordinary Ordinary. HERE
Here’s a taste…
Attack … Continue reading
Let me start with a great quote from what will follow…
Amid today’s confusion, [… many people…] believe the Pope is infallible when he speaks privately, but then when the Popes throughout history have set forth the Catholic faith, they say … Continue reading
Have you noticed that one side of the ongoing debates in the Church today want to close down dialogue and avoid having the arguments that are screaming to be had? By avoiding real debate – just as nature abhors a … Continue reading
“And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.”
The case of the former Prefect of the CDF, Gerhard Ludwig Card. Müller … Continue reading
Originally Published on: Jul 1, 2017
There will be quite a few reaction to the change of Prefects at CDF. Hereunder I hope to catalog some of them for easy reference.
Here is something predictably tasteless from the start:
CDF now headed by … Continue reading
I bring to the attention of the readership a new book from Ignatius Press. It is clearly meant to hearken to the now-classic and still relevant Ratzinger Report published in 1985 (US HERE – UK HERE). Joseph Ratzinger was Prefect of the … Continue reading
UPDATE: I got another confirmation from a separate source that Card. Müller is, indeed, out as of Monday.
It will be interesting to see where he lands.
What is scary are the names my spies and I are bandying about as the … Continue reading
As you may remember, some months ago Pope Francis saw to the creation of a group to study the question of female deacons (aka deaconesses, aka deaconettes). Last November, when the group met for the first time, I wrote: “Their … Continue reading
Newly appended to the end of Pentin’s article on Card. Müller…
Update 12 January 2016:
A spokesman for Cardinal Müller told the Register that he was “speaking out of his authority as prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, … Continue reading
As most of us expected, the resignation (because of the age limit) of the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, William Card. Levada, has been accepted and the Holy Father has appointed Gerhard Ludwig Müller, 64, previously the … Continue reading