Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box?Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
My wish lists
- incredulous said You’re making fun of your Everglades constit...
- Gregorius said Gratias ago tibi pater. Litturae sententiaeque dif...
- defreitas said This is an interesting occurrence non the less. I...
- Michael said Not only did the priest actually preach about sin...
- mburn16 said Our reading and sermon today were delivered by a l...
- Brooklyn said I’m sorry, Father, but I didn’t see yo...
- Brooklyn said One last post, Father, and I promise not to clog u...
- mamajen said hmm…reading through what I just wrote, I mad...
- mamajen said We were at a different parish this week as we were...
- jhayes said Jflare, please see my comment of. 8 March at 12:27...
- Tom in NY said Ad iucundum: nil nisi bonum de mortuis. Salutation...
- rbbadger said I was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latt...
- Priam1184 said Good move Father. If one is going to depend on an...
- Priam1184 said So wait Father does this mean that I can go to Fra...
- Chon said Arele: Here’s a sign of hope for you, in cas...
- Archbishop Sample Pontifical Mass Homily | East Idaho Latin Mass said [...] http://wdtprs.com/blog/2014/03/video-sermon-...
- TWF said Like my Australian brother above, as a Canadian I...
- Chon said Isclerkin: Yes, true. I think there are a lot of...
- Chon said It seems to me that the schismatic groups didnR...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said ALL: I removed the shoe-talk rabbit hole as being...
- Elizabeth M said Liz: Here, here! A little trick we use for the kid...
- momoften said Thank you for posting this Father, I enjoyed it im...
- ray from mn said For the record, it should be acknowledged that Abp...
- Moro said I am an NRA member, but I think this was a bad cal...
- lsclerkin said I will say this in defense of “angry”...
- Ed the Roman said Raffle off Mosin-Nagants in the spirit of reducing...
- jameeka said In your kindness, please pray for my 79 year old m...
- Makemeaspark said Thank you Father. Still praying for your good heal...
- Priam1184 said I confess that I think that an AR-15 is almost use...
- SophiaGrace said Listening every day via the plug in. Thank you, Fa...
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- Bl. John Paul II
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
- Lent, Alligators and You – Revisited
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- FRANCE: Dead and Not-Yet-Dead Unions!
- LENTCAzT 05: 1st Sunday of Lent
- URGENT: 9 March – change your clocks in these USA
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (2002MR): what we can learn in no other way
- VIDEO: Sermon for Archbishop Sample’s 1st Pontifical Mass – MUST SEE
- Church to raffle off an AR-15. Predictable hysteria ensues.
- A bishop’s pastoral letter on Pornography
- LENTCAzT 04: Saturday after Ash Wednesday
- Urgent prayer request: health
- Bishop Robert C. Morlino: 1st Anniversary of Pope Francis’ Pontificate
- Liberals still celebrate Anthony Kosnik’s book, once used in seminaries
- Albany Sourpusses
- “Whoa!” Brick by brick in the Diocese of Madison.
- How you would have observed Lent in 1873
- AUDIO Stations of the Cross: Benedict XVI, Bl. John Henry Newman, St. Alphonsus Liguori
- LENTCAzT 03: Friday after Ash Wednesday
- The Francis Effect™: Results Vary
- Francis and the Weeping Priests
- KY’s AG cites Francis undying quote as excuse for not upholding the law
- LENTCAzT 02: Thursday after Ash Wednesday
- ¡Vaya lío! Archbp. Sample weighs in on same-sex unions in Oregon. Fr. Z kudos.
- Amusing Ash Wednesday note
- Who knew? Reviving ancient viruses by disturbing permafrost.
- Your Ash Wednesday Mass and Sermon notes
- Pope Francis’ new interview: his answer about Benedict XVI and Popes Emeriti
- Francis at Santa Sabina
- An Open Letter to Most Rev. Michael Olson, Bishop of Fort Worth
- LENTCAzT 01: Ash Wednesday
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Wyoming Catholic College!
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Buying ammo online?
More food for thought…
“"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do.”
- Edward Everett Hale
Do you know Lighthouse CDs?
Tag Archives: Gregorian chant
Some extol the new “humble” liturgical style of Pope Francis in the wrong way. They oppose his style to a grand or solemn style, as if the one excludes the other.
The humble does NOT cancel out the grand. Nor vice … Continue reading
Over at Views From The Choir Loft there is a good post about music, and Latin, and our heritage in the Latin Church. The writer is Dr. Peter Kwasniewski who teaches at Wyoming Catholic College.
Vatican II says that “care should be … Continue reading
During the Holy Father’s 1st Mass of Christmas last night, something happened which everyone should know about.
Instead of a “Responsorial Psalm”, the schola and a cantor sang the Gradual. No congregational singing for that. People were given the opportunity to participate … Continue reading
Pope Benedict, speaking on liturgical music and the new evangelization, emphasizes Gregorian chant, polyphony, listening
Pope Benedict received in audience the “Saint Cecilia Association”, on the occasion of a congress of liturgical choirs taking place in Rome.
The reports on the Holy Father’s address were rather thin and I haven’t seen anything about this in English. … Continue reading
“There is only one problem in the whole world: restoring spiritual sense in people. Showering on them something like a Gregorian chant.” – Saint-Exupéry
Simple? Too simple? Perhaps. Faith is the last thing that sinners lose, after charity, … Continue reading
There are times when as I work or drive or walk I listen to the Office sung by Benedictine monks.
For those of you who would like to get to know more about Gregorian chant, or start a schola, I recommend … Continue reading
For your Brick By Brick file.
There is a new CD or (digital download – no waiting and one less thing to dust or pack when moving!) of Gregorian chant and polyphony (Palestrina) sung by the seminarians of the Priestly Fraternity of … Continue reading
Over at Rorate I found links to fascinating recordings on Youtube from 1904.
First is the famous Benedictine pioneer of modern Gregorian chant, Dom André Mocquereau. He conducts students of the French Seminary in Rome in the chant Alleluia Pascha nostrum.
I … Continue reading
I saw on Sandro Magister’s site today a piece about Gregorian chant making a come back, a come back promoted by Benedict XVI himself through the Congregation for Divine Worship – whose brief he modified – and through his own … Continue reading