Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Spade: So what was the recipe?
- Fr Martin Fox: I talked about the Cardinal McCarrick situation, the pornograph y problem and Humanae Vitae. It’s all connected.
- arga: Nice example, these baked goods, of the “ana logical imaginatio n” so dear to Catholicis m.
- Chaswjd: Jennifer Patterson of Two Fat Ladies fame published a cookbook that tied many of its recipes to the liturgical calendar. It may be worth investigat ing.
- capchoirgirl: My sister-in- law gave me a Madeleine pan a few years ago, and I love making them! They’ ;re so delicious& #8211;once they’ ;re a little stale they are EXCELLENT dunked in...
- Flos Carmeli: I second FrAnt̵ 7;s comment 217;s re. baking your madeleines . I also have a darker non-stick version of the pan, and have learned to adjust baking temp. when following recipes...
- davidjhickey: Re Best Scene. I beg to differ. See attached.
- Gaetano: To paraphrase an old political saw: “Chr istanity ain’ t bean bag.” ;
- Gaetano: Today̵ 7;s bishops should recall that Sts. Peter & Paul weren̵ 7;t invited to celebrity events and garden parties when they preached. People rioted against them.
- Legisperitus: That 1955 date seems, at first glance, to have the baleful Bugnini influence written all over it. Still, I agree with Fr_Andrew& #8230; seek permission to restore the Creed to her...
- Gregg the Obscure: I am startled that you’ re not an adept baker since baking is more rubrical than other forms of cooking where one can largely “pla y by sense of smell̶ 1;.
- FrAnt: I think I know why your Madeliens browned too much. When you use dark colored baking pans you need to lower the heat by 20-25 degrees. It should say on the pan’s tags. The other thing is...
- Liz: I do pray for your mother sometimes. I think of her, and of my own dear mother, who has passed on to the next life, when I think of chocolate chip cookies. I have not been able to make good...
- originalsolitude: With hindsight, ESI 88 and 93 on prerequisi tes could have been predicted about nine years ago. In May 2008 an internatio nal meeting of the Ordo Virginum was convened in Rome,...
- Father Ignotus: GIRM # 68 provides the justificat ion for adding a Creed in the NO celebratio n on this feast. If we take that into account and load it into our epikaia machine, I think the end...
- richiedel: I can imagine on some future weekday Low Mass on July 22, Father deciding to give a short homily wherein he mentions how the Creed will be recited shortly and giving the reasons why this...
- JSPizzo: absolutely agree. the question of should in theory is different than in practice
- Fr_Andrew: If we decry the abuses of the Ordinary Form by celebrants making up their own liturgy and ignoring the books, then is it not just as much an abuse to ignore Summorum Pontificum and...
- maternalView: A few courageous priests and Bishops, but no more than we see now addressing today̵ 7;s troubles, will endure the coming trial with the faithful. Most clergy and laity simply...
- Elizabeth D: Last August when students were moving out of their apartments I found a big container of commercial ly made, individual ly wrapped Madeleine cookies. They were a little lemony, they...
- Uxixu: After the reading of Malachi Martin, St. John Paul II should have issued that exact same proclamati on after he recovered from the assassin attempt.
- Charles E Flynn: The attack of 1955 is no more privileged than the later attacks in the 1960s. The unique position of St Mary Magdalene in the life of Christ deserves a unique position in the most...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Well, of course, if you are unhappy with rubrical violations that don’ t fit your taste, it is hypocritic al to encourage violations that fit your taste. But I was...
- Charles E Flynn: Cooking outside of the comfort zone is one of the arts practiced by men who make the effort to avoid being “bea rs with furniture& #8221;. If I recall correctly, you have not...
- The Cobbler: Many of the great figures of the Old Testament are considered saints and have a day in the Roman liturgical book called the Roman Martyrolog y. Father, I once heard, somewhere along...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen and Remembrance of Things Past
- 22 July: Mary Magdalene and the Creed at Mass – POLL!
- Can you imagine bishops doing something like this today?
- ASK FATHER: Blessing for a Wheelchair, Stretcher, or Ambulance
- FEAST DAY! 21 July 1773 – Clement XIV suppressed the Jesuits!
- R.I.P. Msgr. Camille Perl, once Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: gun control
Liberal journalists try to buy an AR-15 to prove how easy it is to obtain a long-gun under false pretenses (i.e., for the purposes of terror). Alas, the system worked.
From Free Beacon:
Store Owner: Undercover CBS Purchase of AR-15 Broke Federal … Continue reading
UPDATE 14 Jan:
At A Blog for Dallas Area Catholics there is an interesting reaction to the Diocese of Dallas’ new policy about guns. A couple of the posts there touch on this topic, as a matter of fact.
One Catholic was … Continue reading
The other day I heard that for the State of the Union Address in POTUS’s area of the gallery there was to be an empty seat to honor victims of gun violence (which I assume also means gang-bangers who shot … Continue reading
Following up on the issue of security in our churches in this age of growing uncertainty, a reader sent the following from KNOE 8 NEWS:
OPSO offers gun training to churches
WEST MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) – The Ouachita [I wonder … Continue reading
I saw this astonishing and yet not at all surprising piece by Rich Lowry.
But will anything useful be done about this? Who wants to bet?
Chicago suffering social meltdown
For most of the country, July Fourth weekend means hot dogs, fireworks and … Continue reading
May I recommend that you stop over at the blog Shoved To Them (where do these interesting names come from?) and peruse THIS.
Here is an excerpt:
[My husband] worried about our safety, so he made sure that I had a gun and … Continue reading
19 states join legal fight against New Jersey’s concealed weapons law
CHEYENNE, Wyo. – Wyoming is leading a coalition of 19 states asking the U.S. Supreme Court to let them submit a brief supporting a New Jersey man’s challenge to … Continue reading
A friend sent this. A funny way to make a good point.
I try not to use businesses which post these signs and I hope you don’t either.
On that note, after Mass on Sunday a couple guys from the parish offered … Continue reading
Here is a lesson in deep hypocrisy. As you peruse the following, consider Starbuck’s corporate support of pro-abortive forces, especially where he talks about being used.
From the head of Starbucks:
An Open Letter from Howard Schultz, ceo of Starbucks Coffee Company
Tuesday, … Continue reading
From a reader:
Are priests allowed to carry handguns? I have heard stories of priests owning guns, going hunting, etc, but could a priest have a handgun, conceal and carry, etc? What do you think about a priest having a handgun … Continue reading
More great advice from the Obama Administration today.
On the heels of a shooting at a Catholic Church in Utah (HERE), I spotted at RNS, that the White House has issued some advice for how to deal with shootings at churches: … Continue reading
I have been saying for weeks now that the left has been hijacking pro-life language for their own ends. Right now, they are twisting their support for Pres. Obama (against people who “cling to guns or religion”) into a “prolife … Continue reading
There is a phrase which is becoming more popular: I carry a gun – because a cop is too heavy.
Here is a story from Milwaukee which a friend forwarded.
Keep in mind that Milwaukee is not exactly a bastion of conservatism.
Wisconsin … Continue reading
As I read in the Huffington Post:
Most people think [Martin Luther King, JR] would be the last person to own a gun. Yet in the mid-1950s, as the civil rights movement heated up, King kept firearms for self-protection. In fact, … Continue reading