Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Bthompson: Rose (my favorite, handmade made by my mom). My core idea was that we are awaiting a savior, not a mere or generic moral/reli gious teacher.
- HvonBlumenthal: Pink, SSPX
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z.
- Gab: I’m going to miss these AventCazts .
- Gab: First time I heard of these people was when they were going to place a hex on President Trump to prevent him from being elected. The next time I heard about them , thanks to the media fierc...
- Felipe: It always saddened me, and still does, when the priest and the deceased person never knew each other. I think this whole situation with the suicide would be entirely different if there were...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: @ APX, I think you have some very good points. It is extremely sad and strange to hear such a lack of discretion and just plain unnecesess ary display you and others experience d in...
- excalibur: Wiccans/wi tches have been casting spells against President Trump. We need Catholic priests to counter this, by offering Masses for President Trump and his family, by going to the public...
- jaykay: Link to Paul Badde̵ 7;s book on the Holy Veil of Manopello. It’s a very good read, quirky but with great details about its physical compositio n. Hopefully I’ve posted the...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): There is a pervasive attitude that persons who take their own lives are now “free” and “no longer suffering. ” I remember seeing a lot of this at the time Robin Willi...
- e.e.: I’m fairly local to this story̷ 0; On top of whatever the priest did or didn’ ;t say in his homily, there was also drama at the funeral over the young man’ s former...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: HINT TO ALL: If you decide to go over the edge and to tell people that they are possessed (in so many words) in this combox, I will probably delete your comments. Sapienti pauca.
- DMorgan: Thank you Father.
- APX: But the families of suicides need compassion , not fire and brimstone. Indeed. Yes, objectivel y speaking, committing suicide is a grave sin, but that doesn’t automatica lly mean it’s a mortal...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: If the priest who says my funeral doesn̵ 7;t mention how grevious of a sinner I was or mention purgatory or my need for prayers and Masses offered for me or the 4...
- thomas tucker: Sorry, the days of pray, pay and obey are over. Priests don’t get to do whatever they want with regard to the laity any more. [Not a terribly thought-fi lled contributi on to this...
- Sword40: My wife and I have had several long discussion s with our 7 grown children. We are elderly so we decided to plan our funerals so that there are NO arguments after we pass. All the kids,...
- Nan: @ Deacon Nicholas. You’ re insulting my Church. Here were A) a favorite priest and B) my Bishop and you don’ t think it’s advisable to go to both liturgies in one day? Both...
- Fr Martin Fox: I will not comment on how the priest, family or diocese handled this, because of the paucity of informatio n I have. So I will keep my yap shut about those matters. I have been...
- Father Flores: It may be the priest was concerned about any youth that may have attended confusing hopeful and uplifting as tacitly approving the young man’ s actions. Youth who would not...
- Man-o-words: Yeah, I have seen this one all day. I keep thinking that this story absolutely captures the sad state of Catholicis m today, or more accurately , humanism under the name of Catholi...
- tho: Perhaps the priest might have been a little heavy handed. But suicide is a contradict ion of God, who created us with eternal souls, and it is blasphemou s for us subvert his mandate. The Lord...
- Roble: I have been tempted to suicide on several occasions. At such times the thought of damning myself definitive ly was all that prevented me. At the root of contemplet ing suicide is a person&...
- roma247: First of all, I was under the impression that once upon a time, suicides were not allowed to be buried in hallowed ground or to have a funeral Mass. I guess that is one of the things that...
- Benedict Joseph: There is no awareness of the tragic reality of personal sin and its relation to mental disorder, let alone of ontologica l reality of original sin and its existentia l impact on...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- POLL: Gaudete Rose Vestments and Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Pastor says “Gaudete Sunday, is no more”
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 15: Joyful Longing, Longing Joy
- UPDATE: Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- Priest preaches at funeral, world falls on his head
- My View For Awhile: Limping Homeward
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: heroic virtue
From a reader:
I know that the Church teaches that people that die in a state of mortal sin cannot go to Heaven. However, can martyrs killed in a state of mortal sin still go to Heaven?
Excellent question, and one that … Continue reading
Apparently on 10 Dec, last, the Congregation for Saints issued the decree concerning the heroic virtues of Servant of God Pope Paul VI.
The decree must be promulgated by His Holiness of Our Lord, Pope Benedict XVI, now gloriously reigning, before … Continue reading
Today the Holy Father authorized the promugation of the decree concerning the “heroic virtues” of now Venerable Fulton J. Sheen.
Also, note the same for the former Prelate of Opus Dei.
Vatican City, (VIS) – Today, during a private audience with … Continue reading
Benedict XVI: A Decree about Heroic Virtues and the extension of a Saint’s cult to the universal Church
The cause for beatification of a Servant of God important for the north-central United States had a big step forward today.
I read in the Bolletino today that His Holiness of our Lord promulgated a decree from the Congregation for the … Continue reading
It is both inspiring and sobering to read of the decrees about heroic virtues and also about martyrdoms. Every single one of us are called to the former and some of us may be called to the later.
I … Continue reading
I found this on Spirit Daily which doesn’t link here nearly often enough
This is an article entitled
Bl. John Paul’s former personal secretary, Stanislaw Card. Dziwisz, now Archbishop of Krakow, spoke of two times the late Pope got angry.
He also revealed … Continue reading
The title of "Venerable" is given to those whom Holy Church determined within a reasonable doubt lived a heroic life of virtue. The Congregation for Causes of Saints examines the documentation presented to make the case that the Servant of … Continue reading