Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- AlanLins: When Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s name was announced, I felt joy I am unable to describe. I knew the Catholic Church was in good hands.
- jameeka: I was interviewe d by the local TV station on the steps while going into the Portland, Oregon Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception that evening for Mass. Was I thrilled? Yes, indeed,...
- youngcatholicgirl: Someone should take a poll of priests and seminarian s who were homeschool ed to see how many are “soc ially awkward 221; (I feel like I have a right to say that, as a...
- Diane: Thank you so much Father, for putting this on. I have enjoyed watching it so much and hearing your comments. What a special time that was.
- Kathleen10: That was as exhilarati ng to watch now as it was then. This time though, I cried a bit more. It’s too beautiful, all the people, the hopeful people, running to St. Peter̵ 7;s,...
- youngcatholicgirl: Pope Benedict 8217;s election is, I believe, my earliest genuine memory. I was told that we had a new pope and remember looking at the computer screen (Fox News, of all sourc...
- Grant M: I remember where I was. I was much poorer then than I am now, living alone in a cold flat, and sleeping on the sofa in a sleeping bag, because that was more comfortabl e than my bed. My...
- HighMass: I too am looking forward to the joy of April 19, 2005! We need that so much in the church today.
- Midwest St. Michael: Oh I can remember. I remember when Cardinal Medina announced it in… Latin? Italian? I was in our lunch room at work. When Cardinal Medina said “Jos eph” (my...
- Sawyer: I was on faculty at a Catholic high school. When the news spread you should have heard the religion teachers immediatel y make disparagin g remarks about Cardinal Ratzinger and bemoan the...
- TonyO: so its not as if he didn’t have something to do with setting the tone. In addition, Paul VI must be held responsibl e for giving the power to Consilium to propose the changes that it propo...
- frjim4321: Sometimes you respect a brother priest if for no other reason than he is a brother priest. On that basis, I would certainly be there for him and treat him with tenderness and gentlen...
- TonyO: Some people have to be patched up so they can be sent along to a better facility. That’s the point of a field hospital. After the medic in the field, it’s only the first stop. Patch the guy...
- Thomas S: I used to watch this video often. It gave me great pleasure. I haven̵ 7;t watched it in 5 years now and never will again. Bitter reminder that what we’r e going through now was...
- Credoh: The introducti on of alternativ e medicine.. ?
- adriennep: Oh yes, I remember. At that moment he came out on the balcony, I knew I could no lionger avoid it: I would be forever lifted up into the Catholic Church. Cardinal Ratzinger had won my...
- JustaSinner: Landscapin g a big project that day… Was hoping for Cardinal Arinze; he’s not a quitter.
- mburn16: “[Bu t permitted and signed off on.]” ; And here, I think, is the underlying point about every papacy from Paul VI to Benedict XVI… they either allowed a course of action...
- Sportsfan: One of the first people I saw after hearing the news was a Franciscan nun in a polyester pant suit circa 1974. She was acting like her dog had just died. It still gives me a warm feeling...
- mikeinmo: Yes, I remember I was working in the vegetable garden. My wife came out of the house and told me there was a new pope. I told her that I bet it is Ratzinger. We watched together on TV as...
- Andreas: Father Z; You wrote, “NOT applying necessary medicines or tools as a doctor is to betray the oath to heal and to do no harm. NOT to apply censures in the Church, is a betrayal of her...
- James P: Listening at 18:16, it sounds like you got a promotion, Cardinal Zuhlsdorf. :P
- acardnal: I believe the greatest achievemen ts of Pope Benedict XVI were likely Summorum Pontificum and Anglicanor um Coetibus.
- acardnal: The work of the Consilium, in revising the Missale Romanum, did indeed change the Church’s doctrine. Change they way you pray and you change what you believe… and vice versa. True state...
- mibethda: It is interestin g that this informatio n comes from the diaries of the late Cardinal Virgilio Noe. In his recently published history of the Foederatio Internatio nalis Una Voce (which...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Easter (Novus Ordo): a candle is honey sweet summons
- @austinruse on “Slippery Jim” @JamesMartinSJ and his non-explanation explanation
- IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
- Gallup Poll points to future demographic disaster. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- R.J. Snell reviews @DouthatNYT book about Pope Francis and his pontificate
- Jesuits to host homosexual “Pride Prom” at @MarquetteU
- Beautiful video about the Traditional Latin Mass. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: HHS mandate
From the Becket Fund For Religious Liberty:
The world watched while the Pope, during his US tour, made a surprise visit to the Sisters “in support of the Sisters’ legal fight.” As you may know, on Holy Wednesday, March 23, … Continue reading
The Obama Administration’s war on religion continues unabated.
From Catholic News Agency:
Obama administration announces new HHS mandate rules
Washington D.C., Aug 22, 2014 / 10:33 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Department of Health and Human Services issued on Friday new rules regarding its … Continue reading
In light of the fact of the continuing erosion of our civil liberties and the marginalization of religion (Christianity) and religious (Christian) values, and in light of the fact that we are in the mysterious period between Ascension Thursday and … Continue reading
I’ll bet that some of you younger readers don’t know who the Viet Cong were and what they did.
They started as a tiny groups or cadres of committed Communists, insurgents, in the south of Vietnam, after the end of the … Continue reading
How tiny liberal loon crank groups provide cover and distraction for larger, more dangerous initiatives.
In Religion Dispatches which is associated with USC, Patricia Miller opines.
Who is Patricia Miller? She is described on the page:
Patricia Miller is the author of Good Catholics: The Battle Over Abortion in the Catholic Church. She has written extensively about … Continue reading
Fr. Z kudos to Brooklyn’s bishop Most Rev. Nicholas DiMarzio. It is dated, but it is good, and still relevant.
With a biretta tip Pewsitter and to Veneremur Cernui I saw this at CNSNews:
Catholic Bishop: Obama Is ‘Proponent’ of What is … Continue reading
I saw an e-cigarette for the first time the other day. At least I saw one close up and knew what it was. A little strange. Apparently they help people stop smoking. That’s good, right?
Lo and behold, today I had … Continue reading
When will Canon 915 be applied in the case of pro-abortion Democrat Rep. Nancy Pelosi?
It is not enough that she may, perhaps, from time to time, choose on her own not to go forward for Communion.
It must be made clear … Continue reading