Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- IRATVS MAXIMVS: I never thought our Church would not only throw the Chinese faithful under the bus for the sake of appeasemen t, but also implement the methods of their persecutor s interna...
- aquinasadmirer: How can I keep my weekly offering at my parish from funding this … foolishnes s? How much can a bishop “tax ” a parish for funds? We just had our fall festival at...
- richiedel: The image of Nurse Ratchet is fitting. In one scene she gets the patients all riled up in group therapy and when McMurphy realized what she did he looks at her incredulou sly and she...
- MrsMacD: So on a practical level we need a law-firm and insurance company totally dedicated to defending the Church, end of liability dictating what the Church does. Maybe we also need a counter...
- Semper Gumby: Thanks Fr. Z and Miss Bee.
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Rutler. “Con demning the privatizat ion of water resources, Pope Francis implied that a large burden of fault is to be blamed on Western capitalist s. However, an...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: The “I am the devil̶ 1; remark bespeaks a preoccupat ion with self, and also seems not without a trace of self-pity, both of which are unsuitable in a clergym...
- Joe in Canada: When Pope John Paul II wrote ‘ord inatio sacerdotal is’ in 1994, the document was not presented to the faithful in Quebec. The bishops said “how could we promulg...
- un-ionized: Imrahil, the St. Michael prayer which is short enough to be memorized easily isn’ t the entire prayer, which can be found in the 1952 Raccolta. It is very interestin g, especia...
- TonyO: Sseprn, Tony EsolenR 17;s article makes a great point. Or several, really. Perhaps goes beyond the scope of what he was pointing out, but the process of corruption that occurs in the...
- quomodocumque: I have I on good authority that the Chinese “bis hops” ; are all unbaptized athiests who were simply hired for the job. The was no consecrati on in either the old rite or...
- Johann: Cardinal Juan Luis Cipriani Thorne banned communion in the hand when he was made Archbishop of Lima, Peru. Cardinals Robert Sarah and Raymond Burke have also called for communion to be...
- chantgirl: Can we ever imagine Cupich locking the doors of a church so that an LGBT group could not celebrate a rainbow Mass? Some Catholics aren’ ;t as welcome as other Catholics.
- chantgirl: If Cupich has the “dut y to ensure that those who serve our faithful are fully able to minister to them in the way our Church expects 221;, then surely his seminarian s are...
- Gregg the Obscure: Leftist language – so well described by George Orwell a few years ago – doesn̵ 7;t call things what they are lest a useful idiot have his or her pwecious feewi...
- Imrahil: Dear KateD, for me, there is only one St Michael prayer that might be called The St Michael prayer, which is: Holy Archangel Michael, defend us in battle, etc. (And only one other I know,...
- KateD: Father, Would you please reiterate the danger of layity praying the Saint Michael PrayerR 30;and make clear the distinctio n between the two prayers, the one we pray after Mass vs. the...
- KateD: Is that available on a mug?
- bibi1003: Finally, he’s said something we don’ t need to fact-check .
- bibi1003: Rob83, that is really scary. That made me think of something similar (and likely diabolical ) that happened to Randall Sullivan, as described in his book The Miracle Detective. Sulli...
- JamesA: “I have kicked myself the times I did not go.” I sincerely hope that means you will go next year, Father, because it is my prayer to be able to go, as well. To see you there...
- Markus: When informed by my parish priest, during a conversati on, that his mentor/fri end/fellow priest instructed him that, as pastor, he could paint the pews purple if he wanted to. I took this...
- Kent Wendler: Would you consider offering this to First Things as a “dai ly article 221;? I think it’s worth it. (You might need to define “Fis hwrap̶ 1; and include...
- Sseprn: Thank you Father for those observatio ns. What a mess we have. We need to stay strong, have faith, and Pray. Along the same lines, over at Crisis, is a piece by Anthony Esolen: https:/...
- TonyO: There isn’ t really any even half-way supportabl e reason to call the cover-up / cabal / homosexual ism crisis by the name of “cle ricalism 8221;. There isn’ t, in fact,...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Read and weep: Soviet style “psych” tactics used against priests by bishops.
- When they claim “Clericalism!”, they really mean #sodoclericalism
- My View For Awhile: Humidity Edition
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: HHS mandate
From the Becket Fund For Religious Liberty:
The world watched while the Pope, during his US tour, made a surprise visit to the Sisters “in support of the Sisters’ legal fight.” As you may know, on Holy Wednesday, March 23, … Continue reading
The Obama Administration’s war on religion continues unabated.
From Catholic News Agency:
Obama administration announces new HHS mandate rules
Washington D.C., Aug 22, 2014 / 10:33 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Department of Health and Human Services issued on Friday new rules regarding its … Continue reading
In light of the fact of the continuing erosion of our civil liberties and the marginalization of religion (Christianity) and religious (Christian) values, and in light of the fact that we are in the mysterious period between Ascension Thursday and … Continue reading
I’ll bet that some of you younger readers don’t know who the Viet Cong were and what they did.
They started as a tiny groups or cadres of committed Communists, insurgents, in the south of Vietnam, after the end of the … Continue reading
How tiny liberal loon crank groups provide cover and distraction for larger, more dangerous initiatives.
In Religion Dispatches which is associated with USC, Patricia Miller opines.
Who is Patricia Miller? She is described on the page:
Patricia Miller is the author of Good Catholics: The Battle Over Abortion in the Catholic Church. She has written extensively about … Continue reading
Fr. Z kudos to Brooklyn’s bishop Most Rev. Nicholas DiMarzio. It is dated, but it is good, and still relevant.
With a biretta tip Pewsitter and to Veneremur Cernui I saw this at CNSNews:
Catholic Bishop: Obama Is ‘Proponent’ of What is … Continue reading
I saw an e-cigarette for the first time the other day. At least I saw one close up and knew what it was. A little strange. Apparently they help people stop smoking. That’s good, right?
Lo and behold, today I had … Continue reading
When will Canon 915 be applied in the case of pro-abortion Democrat Rep. Nancy Pelosi?
It is not enough that she may, perhaps, from time to time, choose on her own not to go forward for Communion.
It must be made clear … Continue reading
Liberals think we Catholics should not be culture warriors. We should just shut up and be good little statists, acquiescent in the face of social trends.
I read at CNA today that the papal spokesman, Fr. Federico Lombardi, SJ, said that … Continue reading
Tide of public opinion will swing against Obamacare…. er um… the so-called, misnamed, AFFORDABLE Care Act.
Has your insurance been cancelled yet?
First, people will see that it’s a bad idea which will cost far too much for far too many. Second, … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Gerry Murray of the Archdiocese of New York was recently on FNC. He spoke about Pres. Obama’s HHS Mandate. He did a great job explaining some key points and had a few good one liners.
You might review … Continue reading
While the Little Sisters of the Poor are fighting for our religious freedom, the University of Notre Dame (which gave to the most infamously pro-abortion President of these USA ever the honor of a Doctrate in Law – of all … Continue reading
At NRO Kathryn Jean Lopez makes a good observation about the Hell’s Bible attack on the Little Sisters of the Poor.
The New York Times position [which, if you read the piece, is factually wrong] is that the Little Sisters of … Continue reading
The Obama Administration continues its jihad against the 1st Amendment, religious freedom, especially Catholic religious freedom.
Administration to high court: Don’t exempt Catholic groups from contraception mandate
The Obama administration on Friday asked the Supreme Court not to exempt Catholic groups from … Continue reading