Search Fr. Z’s Blog
BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Please, come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
Some words of wisdom…
The more vigorously the primacy was displayed, the more the question came up about the extent and and limits of [papal] authority, which of course, as such, had never been considered. After the Second Vatican Council, the impression arose that the pope really could do anything in liturgical matters, especially if he were acting on the mandate of an ecumenical council. Eventually, the idea of the givenness of the liturgy, the fact that one cannot do with it what one will, faded from the public consciousness of the West. In fact, the First Vatican Council had in no way defined the pope as an absolute monarch. On the contrary, it presented him as the guarantor of obedience to the revealed Word. The pope's authority is bound to the Tradition of faith. … The authority of the pope is not unlimited; it is at the service of Sacred Tradition.
Joseph RatzingerUS HERE - UK HERE
in The Spirit of the Liturgy
Outstanding. Informative. Moving. - Fr. Z
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I listen to your voicemails: I don’t call back, but I listen.
You have three options:
020 8133 4535
- J.M.C. said hwriggles4: There is actually no impediment for a...
- Chrisc said Iconoclasm is a powerful drug. It can even sway th...
- iamlucky13 said “The Dominican theologian said that this pro...
- iamlucky13 said It was already tiptoeing towards iconoclasm when i...
- JSPizzo said *St. Junipero Serra :)
- JustaSinner said George Soros and his ‘friends’ are beh...
- JesusFreak84 said I know our society can’t tell men from women...
- CarpeNoctem said I’m shooting from the hip here without my li...
- gardefoilangueloi said I’ll try to do birdwatching. It gives me an...
- gardefoilangueloi said How dare they attack in such a way the Maid of Lor...
- TonyO said Most of the seeming idiots who are doing the biddi...
- Alanmac said ISIS has knocked down all kinds of ancient statues...
- jskelley said NB: Saint Junipero Serra since 2015
- Grumpy Beggar said He has not publicly commented on Amoris Laetitia u...
- ChesterFrank said Bl. Junipero Serra was one of the first statues th...
- Bryan D. Boyle said One of the greatest gifts I know was able to give...
- Figaro said Homestead National Monument, Beatrice, Nebraska.
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda said Maybe they weren’t idiots who thought it was...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda said Papa = Pope Latria = worship/adoration Papalatry =...
- SpanishCatholic said @Mojoron it’s a play on idolatrous with the...
- Irene said Post Catholic: My copy of Bist du bei mir, Copyrig...
- Mojoron said OK, for two days I have seen the word “papalatrous...
- Charles E Flynn said Should any of you who purchase the eBook of the ca...
- Charles E Flynn said Delta Airlines On A Rampage At JFK Airport, Three...
- Mike said Vatican II’s unmooring of the teaching Churc...
- hwriggles4 said As far as converts coming in with a divorce under...
- Charivari Rob said Glad they’re continuing strong, especially w...
- Ave Crux said @Henry Edwards: Thank you for bringing this to our...
- Mr. Graves said That said, it would be nice to see some occasional...
- Roy Hobbes said Despite being a ‘cradle Catholic’ and...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
Get good RAZOR BLADES.
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Vandalism of statues expands. What next?
- Fr Aidan Nichols: ‘Amoris Laetitia’ has led to an “extremely grave” situation
- To those shushing Convert Muzzlers…
- NEW MUSIC DISC from St Paul’s Boys Choir in Harvard Square
- How about this? “Cradle Catholics should speak less, listen more.”
- MADISON: 22 Aug – Pontifical Mass at the Throne – Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Feedback that gets to me
- Total Eclipse on Monday, 21 August – What are your plans?
- Twitter Liturgy: Luther would be so proud…
- My View For Awhile: Homeward
- Possible “formal correction” of Pope Francis?
- Speaking of the Prayer For Vocations…
- ASK FATHER: Penance given in confession was too vague
- URGENT: VIDEO Live stream of annual Assumption Mass!
- What a contrast to the tensions over Confederate statues!
- Assumption: The 4th Glorious Mystery
- VIDEO: Pius XII declaring the Dogma of the Assumption
- IN THE WILD: “Prayer For Vocations” spotted
- ASK FATHER: Show tune priest sings Eucharistic Prayer
- ASK FATHER: During confession can a priest require a criminal to turn herself in?
- ASK FATHER: Priest took ill at homily, another priest took over
- Your Good News
- A reader has fun with a seminarian, a great book, and an “ordination tambourine”
- LCWR UPDATE: Fidget Spinner, Mickey Mouse, and interesting gestures
- My View For Awhile: ORDEAL WITH @DELTA
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 10th Sunday after Pentecost: Mercy and Justice are not opposed
- Concerning concelebration, variety, and fraternity
- North Korea: What to do?
- WDTPRS – 19th Ordinary Sunday: frightening consolation
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: HHS mandate
Liberal catholics want us all to weenie out and avoid engaging in “culture wars”. Meanwhile, I saw this commentary piece at CNSNews: Free Exercise of Virtue Prohibited as of Today in USA As of today–Jan. 1, 2014–a Democratic administration led … Continue reading
Hmmm…. Maybe I should name Justice Sonia Sotomayor Fr. Z’s Person of the Year. From Politico: Justice [Sotomayor] delays health law’s birth control mandate Justice delays health law’s birth control mandate By: Associated Press December 31, 2013 10:34 PM EST … Continue reading
From CrossMap: Congressman Chris Smith: The Big Three Obamacare Abortion Lies of the Year WASHINGTON, Dec. 30, 2013 — Even as President Obama’s now infamous claim, “[i]f you like your plan you can keep it,” is being recognized as the … Continue reading
Good news to be read at Newsmax: NY Archdiocese: Ruling Against Contraception Mandate Gives All ‘Religious Freedom’ The Archdiocese of New York applauded a judge’s decision Monday that so-called non-exempt religious groups are not bound by the Affordable Care Act’s requirement … Continue reading
How is Obamacare, the “AFFORDABLE” Care Act, working for you so far? I saw this on LifeSite: Obama administration may add taxpayer-funded sex-change operations to ObamaCare, Medicare, Medicaid DES MOINES, IA, December 12, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The Affordable Care Act … Continue reading
The Supreme Court of these United States will take up a couple cases concerning the Obama administration’s anti-religious HHS mandate. Via Townhall: BREAKING: Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Challenge to HHS Contraception Mandate The Supreme Court agreed on noon Tuesday … Continue reading
There is an alarming piece at CharismaNews which confirms what we have known all along. Remember… it’s not really “Obamacare”… though his name, and party, are inseparable from this millstone. It’s really the AFFORDABLE Care Act. How is that “AFFORDABLE” … Continue reading
I have been watching in a distracted way the live stream of the annual USCCB blah blah and occasionally checking the liberal reactions: rather like tossing a bad of treats into a dog park. In any event, someone sent me … Continue reading
From Liberty News: Obamacare Has “Raped My Future!” Says Underemployed College Grad in Viral Letter Ashley Dionne is a 26 year-old college graduate who says her future has been “raped” by Obamacare, reports Campus Reform. This University of Michigan alum shared … Continue reading
Over at the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) here is a piece by Mr. Winter’s which shows something of their true colors over there: They don’t care about the fact that taxpayer dollars will be funding intrinsically evil actions and … Continue reading
I already posted about this HERE but we need to keep it in front of our eyes. From Todd Starnes at FNC. Catholic priests in military face arrest for celebrating Mass By Todd Starnes The U.S. military has furloughed as many … Continue reading
You are a homeless person. You are sick and you know it is bad. You stagger into the ER of St. Ipsidipsy Catholic Hospital in Tall Tree Circle. You have no insurance, health coverage, or money. You are seen by … Continue reading
The Wall Street Journal has apologized to readers for being too soft on Obamacare. HERE Here’s a sample: ObamaCare has become a rolling “train wreck,” in Senator Max Baucus’s memorable phrase, and it gets worse the more of it the … Continue reading
We have always known it would be this way, of course. From CNA: Obama’s Final Word: Catholics Must Buy/Provide Coverage for Abortion Drugs (CNSNews.com) – The Department of Health and Human Services today released the final text of the final … Continue reading