SHOPPING ONLINE? Christmas is not very far away…
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- The Egyptian said many years ago we had an elderly assistant priest,...
- ckdexterhaven said We had an old priest who was assigned the most rem...
- gracie said God makes the rules but He’s not bound by th...
- yatzer said Thanks to all of you faithful priests. I’m g...
- Chuck said +Abp Chaput is my shepherd and I feel blessed as a...
- OldProfK said Southernpriest, may the Heavenly Father bless and...
- OldProfK said Well said, Father. Thank you.
- Charlie said I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to...
- PTK_70 said Without implying that I agree with kiwiinamerica,...
- PTK_70 said I’m with scotus. If there’s a purge, i...
- FrAnt said Nine years ago I became a pastor and sole priest o...
- Bryan D. Boyle said Should they just get out? If they had any personal...
- southernpriest said I thank God for the seminary I was sent to and bei...
- southernpriest said As a late vocation, and watching friends die while...
- un-ionized said hwriggles4, that is right, social halls they are,...
- Holy Mackerel said Right on, Father! We are called to love the Lord G...
- bookworm said Whether we should “welcome” a smaller...
- Kathleen10 said Heartbreaking! No, I admit we always assume pries...
- TomCom said Nice writing, Fr. Z. An element I’d add, tho...
- Kerry said Father, in the ten ring, at a thousand yards, with...
- Kerry said Father Z., lately the looming sense of an “U...
- excalibur said In 2012 Catholics went 50 – 48 Obama over Ro...
- Thomas Sweeney said The SSPX, FSSP and the ICTK among others are doing...
- LadyMedievalist said 23rd Sunday after Pentecost. Father preached on th...
- Joseph-Mary said Yes, Anthony Esolen is marvelous! And for the lay...
- scotus said Where is ‘here’? Is it just the USA? I...
- Tom A. said Francis is stacking the deck of cardinals to ensur...
- Absit invidia said He couldn’t be any more clearer of the reali...
- CaliCatholicGuy said 30th Sunday in Ordinary time. Father challenged u...
- Tom A. said Few, I would wager. Very few.
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- ASK FATHER: An old priest gets confused, hard to understand
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- The war is here.
- Archbp. Chaput: a smaller Church of fewer believers rather than compromise orthodoxy
- Spiritual Super Powers: Monks of Norcia and Card. Sarah
- WDTPRS – 23rd Sunday after Pentecost: SNIP!
- ASK FATHER: Is a priest allowed to do the readings, or must a lay person do them?
- Wimple by Wimple in New Jersey
- Christmas isn’t too far away
- Contentions between liturgists and musicians: What to do?
- Fr. Murray on Hillary’s anti-Catholic distortions at Al Smith Dinner
- More Wikileaks emails about lib machinations tied to the Clinton campaign
- WDTPRS – 30th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “E ‘n la sua volontade…”
- UPDATE on Reginald Foster’s ‘Ossa Latinitatis Sola’ – Request for old Ludi Domestici
- Pius XI is back on the job after a nice vacation
- Archbp. Naumann on VP candidate and ‘c’atholic quisling Tim Kaine (D-VA)
- Venice Days 2-3: Bones, fabrics and views
- Benedict XVI commented again on turning toward the ‘East’ for liturgical worship
- ASK FATHER: Can the bishop forbid the cassock?
- REVIEW: Robert Harris – Conclave
- Bp. Morlino on marriage, sex craziness, the election, and “eschatological awareness”
- Venice – Day 1-2: Of Mark and Mud-bugs
- ASK FATHER: Why are good priests so afraid of “stirring the pot”?
- Archbp. Sample on ‘Amoris laetitia’: conscience isn’t a law unto itself
- Florence – Day 5-7: Red meat and musea
- Hillary: ”I admire Margaret Sanger enormously… there are a lot of lessons we can learn from her”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Man regularly takes Hosts home from Mass
- Fr. Sirico on the Clinton’s campaign view of the Church
- WDTPRS – 22nd Sunday after Pentecost: The Battle For The Mass
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: HHS
From the Catholic Sentinel: US bishops set March 30 as day of prayer, fasting for religious liberty Catholic News Service WASHINGTON — The U.S. bishops have urged Catholics and “all people of faith” across the nation to observe March 30 … Continue reading
Some music to accompany my preliminary rant. Read while listening. [wp_youtube]TVjDP0vlem4[/wp_youtube] I have seen sharp criticisms launched by lay people against bishops whom they accuse of being weak in the public debate about Pres. Obama’s attacks on the religious … Continue reading
I saw on FNC Bill Hemmer’s interview of two talking heads, Monica Crowley (conservative pundette) and Christopher Hahn (former aide to Sen. Chuck Schumer D-NY). I hope they post the video of this surprising exchange. The wonks were reacting to … Continue reading
Last night His Eminence Timothy Card. Dolan was on with Bill O’Reilly on FNC. O’Reilly actually let him get a word in. This is the first part of the interview. I understand that the rest of it will be posted … Continue reading
All across the nation today there have been Pro-Liberty Rallies. Post a report! UPDATE 24 March: I have liked Star Parker for a long time. She spoke at a Pr0-Freedom Rally in D.C. yesterday. [wp_youtube]T7rPymALfgM[/wp_youtube] Alas, there is a guy … Continue reading
Yes, it’s the first full day of Spring. Birds are chirping, flowers are rising, grass is greening, trees are budding, candidates are bloviating, liberals are obfustcating, and presidents are undermining.
FAVOR ASKED BELOW. Supporters of the Obama Adminstration in a campaign of deceptive rhetoric are trying to tar the Church as being “political” whenever the bishops teach about matters of morals or raise their voices in the public square concerning … Continue reading
Obama Admin’s HHS kills Texas women’s health program because State prohibits money to help Planned Parenthood
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!Planned Parenthood, founded by the eugenicist Margaret Sanger to kill off black people, the mentally challenged and other societal undesirables, now has one objective: make money from the death of babies through as many abortions … Continue reading
Pres. Obama lied to Card. Dolan. Don’t forget that. Time and time again the White House makes sounds using words that, to reasonable, rational speakers of the English language mean one thing, but actually mean something else. Again, I come … Continue reading
A few days ago Sr. Mary Ann Walsh at the USCCB Blog posted this: Friday, March 9, 2012 Amish, Ok. Catholics, No. The Amish are exempt from the entire health care reform law. So are members of Medi-Share, a program … Continue reading
From the Catholic League: FRONTAL ASSAULT ON CATHOLICISM MARCH 9, 2012 BY ADMIN Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments as follows: Never has there been a more vicious anti-Catholic advertisement in a prominent American newspaper than the one in today’s … Continue reading
Mark Steyn has an especially mordant column on National Review Online about the nation’s new contracepting sweetheart ( for lack of a better word), Sandra Fluke. This pair of paragraphs caught my attention. Steyn points to an ironic contradiction in … Continue reading
From PhatMass.com, Fr. Claude Burns has a video with a message about Pres. Obama’s attack on the 1st Amendment and on the Catholic Church. [wp_youtube]GaWma3taEEE[/wp_youtube] “But Father! But Father!”, some of you will be saying, “Father has his back to … Continue reading
I like this approach. The pro-abortion, pro-infantide, anti-Catholic, anti-1st Amendment Pres. Obama – about whose scantily documented past we really don’t know very much – will be in Houston… fund-raising on the pretext of doing something “presidential”. The Archdiocese, on the other … Continue reading
“We did not ask for this fight, but we will not run from it.” Thus, Card. Dolan about the latest insult tossed our way by the Obama Administration. From LifeSite: Cardinal: Obama Admin Lectured Bishops on Catholic Teaching by Steven … Continue reading