Search Fr. Z’s Blog
BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Please, come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Some words of wisdom…
The more vigorously the primacy was displayed, the more the question came up about the extent and and limits of [papal] authority, which of course, as such, had never been considered. After the Second Vatican Council, the impression arose that the pope really could do anything in liturgical matters, especially if he were acting on the mandate of an ecumenical council. Eventually, the idea of the givenness of the liturgy, the fact that one cannot do with it what one will, faded from the public consciousness of the West. In fact, the First Vatican Council had in no way defined the pope as an absolute monarch. On the contrary, it presented him as the guarantor of obedience to the revealed Word. The pope's authority is bound to the Tradition of faith. … The authority of the pope is not unlimited; it is at the service of Sacred Tradition.
Joseph RatzingerUS HERE - UK HERE
in The Spirit of the Liturgy
Outstanding. Informative. Moving. - Fr. Z
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I listen to your voicemails: I don’t call back, but I listen.
You have three options:
020 8133 4535
- Mary Ann said ;) John Candy as Del Griffith in John Hughes’...
- ericrun said Staying Sunday evening with my wife’s family...
- Kerry said Father George Rutler, Father Richard Neuhaus, J.R....
- Spade said “Cradle Catholics should learn something abo...
- Fr. Reader said Speak less. Listen more.
- Adaquano said I’ve enjoyed many of Mills articles on Strea...
- david s said A couple of quotes from the Rule of St Benedict fo...
- Art said Weren’t the 12 apostles converts as well? I...
- JerseyGirl said Hmmm, I seem to recall something about the lukewar...
- JonPatrick said The TSA is like going to an Ordinary Form Mass at...
- Andrew said When I was a young boy, in the Fifties, we picked...
- MB said Hmmm. I was thinking of buying a daily missal, but...
- BenH said We’ll be traveling back to visit family near...
- catholictrad said NOPE! I found a pearl of great price and I’...
- Cornelius said This is just a variation on the ad hominem attack...
- Midwest St. Michael said Fr. Reader says: “Everybody should learn to...
- Fr. Reader said Everybody should learn to speak less and listen mo...
- TWF said Both observances serve as an appropriate octave to...
- Absit invidia said enjoying the partial eclipse from home and not cha...
- LuxPerpetua said On the one hand, Snapchatting and the like before...
- LuxPerpetua said I will be waiting patiently and resignedly for the...
- mbarry said Going to watch it here in Nashville!
- FRIDAY CATHOLICA EDITION | Big Pulpit said […] Card. Burke Outlines Formal Correction o...
- graytown said How to dress on an aircraft ? As if you are going...
- JesusFreak84 said Honestly, probably nothing. I doubt I’ll ge...
- Sword40 said Not even going to get excited. I’ll watch it...
- Nan said My priest friend gives one Hail Mary because it...
- Nan said Twittergy?
- Elizium23 said It is important to note, as Giuseppe has alluded,...
- TonyO said I get a kick out of converts: their coming over to...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- How about this? “Cradle Catholics should speak less, listen more.”
- MADISON: 22 Aug – Pontifical Mass at the Throne – Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Feedback that gets to me
- Total Eclipse on Monday, 21 August – What are your plans?
- Twitter Liturgy: Luther would be so proud…
- My View For Awhile: Homeward
- Possible “formal correction” of Pope Francis?
- Speaking of the Prayer For Vocations…
- ASK FATHER: Penance given in confession was too vague
- URGENT: VIDEO Live stream of annual Assumption Mass!
- What a contrast to the tensions over Confederate statues!
- Assumption: The 4th Glorious Mystery
- VIDEO: Pius XII declaring the Dogma of the Assumption
- IN THE WILD: “Prayer For Vocations” spotted
- ASK FATHER: Show tune priest sings Eucharistic Prayer
- ASK FATHER: During confession can a priest require a criminal to turn herself in?
- ASK FATHER: Priest took ill at homily, another priest took over
- Your Good News
- A reader has fun with a seminarian, a great book, and an “ordination tambourine”
- LCWR UPDATE: Fidget Spinner, Mickey Mouse, and interesting gestures
- My View For Awhile: ORDEAL WITH @DELTA
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 10th Sunday after Pentecost: Mercy and Justice are not opposed
- Concerning concelebration, variety, and fraternity
- North Korea: What to do?
- WDTPRS – 19th Ordinary Sunday: frightening consolation
- BOOKS: My recent and future reads
- ASK FATHER: Can I go with my children to SSPX Masses twice a month?
- Response to Ivereigh, Winters, etc. – Model of behavior for converts rooted in the Apostolic Tradition?
- ASK FATHER: Not adding water to chalices for Mass
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: HHS
From the Catholic Sentinel: US bishops set March 30 as day of prayer, fasting for religious liberty Catholic News Service WASHINGTON — The U.S. bishops have urged Catholics and “all people of faith” across the nation to observe March 30 … Continue reading
Some music to accompany my preliminary rant. Read while listening. [wp_youtube]TVjDP0vlem4[/wp_youtube] I have seen sharp criticisms launched by lay people against bishops whom they accuse of being weak in the public debate about Pres. Obama’s attacks on the religious … Continue reading
I saw on FNC Bill Hemmer’s interview of two talking heads, Monica Crowley (conservative pundette) and Christopher Hahn (former aide to Sen. Chuck Schumer D-NY). I hope they post the video of this surprising exchange. The wonks were reacting to … Continue reading
Last night His Eminence Timothy Card. Dolan was on with Bill O’Reilly on FNC. O’Reilly actually let him get a word in. This is the first part of the interview. I understand that the rest of it will be posted … Continue reading
All across the nation today there have been Pro-Liberty Rallies. Post a report! UPDATE 24 March: I have liked Star Parker for a long time. She spoke at a Pr0-Freedom Rally in D.C. yesterday. [wp_youtube]T7rPymALfgM[/wp_youtube] Alas, there is a guy … Continue reading
Yes, it’s the first full day of Spring. Birds are chirping, flowers are rising, grass is greening, trees are budding, candidates are bloviating, liberals are obfustcating, and presidents are undermining.
FAVOR ASKED BELOW. Supporters of the Obama Adminstration in a campaign of deceptive rhetoric are trying to tar the Church as being “political” whenever the bishops teach about matters of morals or raise their voices in the public square concerning … Continue reading
Obama Admin’s HHS kills Texas women’s health program because State prohibits money to help Planned Parenthood
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!Planned Parenthood, founded by the eugenicist Margaret Sanger to kill off black people, the mentally challenged and other societal undesirables, now has one objective: make money from the death of babies through as many abortions … Continue reading
Pres. Obama lied to Card. Dolan. Don’t forget that. Time and time again the White House makes sounds using words that, to reasonable, rational speakers of the English language mean one thing, but actually mean something else. Again, I come … Continue reading
A few days ago Sr. Mary Ann Walsh at the USCCB Blog posted this: Friday, March 9, 2012 Amish, Ok. Catholics, No. The Amish are exempt from the entire health care reform law. So are members of Medi-Share, a program … Continue reading
From the Catholic League: FRONTAL ASSAULT ON CATHOLICISM MARCH 9, 2012 BY ADMIN Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments as follows: Never has there been a more vicious anti-Catholic advertisement in a prominent American newspaper than the one in today’s … Continue reading
Mark Steyn has an especially mordant column on National Review Online about the nation’s new contracepting sweetheart ( for lack of a better word), Sandra Fluke. This pair of paragraphs caught my attention. Steyn points to an ironic contradiction in … Continue reading
From PhatMass.com, Fr. Claude Burns has a video with a message about Pres. Obama’s attack on the 1st Amendment and on the Catholic Church. [wp_youtube]GaWma3taEEE[/wp_youtube] “But Father! But Father!”, some of you will be saying, “Father has his back to … Continue reading
I like this approach. The pro-abortion, pro-infantide, anti-Catholic, anti-1st Amendment Pres. Obama – about whose scantily documented past we really don’t know very much – will be in Houston… fund-raising on the pretext of doing something “presidential”. The Archdiocese, on the other … Continue reading
“We did not ask for this fight, but we will not run from it.” Thus, Card. Dolan about the latest insult tossed our way by the Obama Administration. From LifeSite: Cardinal: Obama Admin Lectured Bishops on Catholic Teaching by Steven … Continue reading