BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- robtbrown said I don’t think it matters how velit is transl...
- JabbaPapa said Confusion on this question has arisen among some i...
- mcferran said Bishop Robert Barron on Hans Urs von Balthasar: ht...
- JabbaPapa said Papabile : I listened to the talks and understand...
- robtbrown said FrJim4321 says, It seems to me that some Henny Pen...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Augustine Thompson O.P. says, it “is not in...
- Huber said Matthew 22:14 comes to mind:  And the king we...
- ericdanielmoore said This is classic Fr. Orsi! We used to get awesome h...
- Papabile said @Ave Crux I listened to the talks and understand t...
- William Tighe said I am writing what follows from memory, so correcti...
- APX said Having not had to learn or memorize the BC, let al...
- TopSully said I work in Naples several times a year, usually ove...
- Cincinnati Priest said Jenson71: “But did Clinton say Christians wh...
- frjim4321 said “The bible is a political document.” I...
- robtbrown said Jenson71 says, So, let’s be honest. Clinton is pr...
- robtbrown said Should be: According to the criteria above, we can...
- robtbrown said Jenson71 says, The First and Second Amendment, and...
- Athelstan said Fr. Orsi is certainly dead on about churches being...
- rbbadger said I really hope that they did not mangle the hymns t...
- Clinton said Recent events are bearing out Fr. Orsi’s wor...
- rinkevichjm said I get a slightly different version as ex-sequor =...
- robtbrown said What seems to be happening is that Rome is piece b...
- Jenson71 said Why start at about 8:30? Why not start at 5:30, wh...
- The Masked Chicken said Dear Fr. Fox, I have no dog in this fight, but Cit...
- Jenson71 said Father, there are many proposed amendments I’...
- robtbrown said revueltos67 says, Something not mentioned here –...
- FarmerBrawn said Indeed! I would submit that we must also pray and...
- Jenson71 said [Hillary Clinton said last April that Christians m...
- Cincinnati Priest said Ooh rah! Thanks God for a priest who preaches the...
- Benedict Joseph said We need speak truth not only to secular power stru...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- ASK FATHER: Will all be saved?
- We are at a “precarious moment in our history” when churches must speak truth to power
- Happy Feast of Our Lady of Walsingham to members of the Ordinariate
- WDTPRS Collect 19th Sunday after Pentecost- “Why did God make you?”
- “O God, you are so big!” Maronite English liturgical translations: Devastation!
- Padre Pio music on his feast day: Musical Setting of his “Prayer” (VIDEO)
- WDTPRS – 26th Ordinary Sunday: Bowels of Mercy
- SSPX Bp. Fellay talks about relations with the Holy See
- September Ember!
- MEXICO: Another priest kidnapped after two were murdered
- Acton on giving the powerful a pass because they are famous
- The Autumnal Tipping Point
- Trump campaign forms Catholic advisory group
- Jesuit Fr James Martin honored by homosexual advocates condemned by Holy See and USCCB
- FOLLOW UP: Fr. Z asks help from priests: Can you take a Gregorian Mass set, stipend?
- ASK FATHER: Confession line very slow and Father looks out at people waiting
- UPDATE Road Warrior Tips: Cheaper data abroad (KeepGo) and soft landings
- ASK FATHER: How to “steel ourselves” and not come down off from our crosses?
- ASK FATHER: Why are we responsible for the sin of Adam and Eve when weren’t there?
- ASK FATHER: Why MUST one be in communion with Rome?
- Recent Islamic terror attacks in NYC and Minnesota
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- This saint, after 1969, never said Mass using the Novus Ordo
- 19 Sept – NAPLES: The blood of St Januarius liquefied!
- PSA: International Talk Like A Pirate Day
- Read the reviews right away before they are removed.
- Ross Douthat on candidate Quisling Kaine (D-VA) and on Francis’ papal doctrine dance
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ¡Viva Cristo Rey! Mexican bishop persecuted by homosexualists
- WDTPRS – 18th Sunday after Pentecost: Who says mercy has to be gentle? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: Holy Communion
From a reader… QUAERITUR: One of the precepts of the Church states we are to receive Holy Communion at Easter. I always wondered if that meant Easter Mass or during the Easter season. My 1962 Missal say Easter (period) but … Continue reading
I have had my eye on John Card. Onaiyekan, archbishop of Abuja in Nigeria, for some time. There was recently a Eucharistic Congress in the Philippines. Since Archbp. Piero Marini (former MC to JP2) is in charge of these conferences … Continue reading
Here we go again. Pope Francis has offered some confusing observations about the possibility of Lutherans receiving Holy Communion in the Catholic Church. I’m getting email… angry… alarmed… confused… sad… above all demoralized. Edward Pentin has the best press breakdown … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Mass (EF), are Deacons (either transitional or permanent) allowed to distribute Holy Communion? Or is this a faculty reserved to only the Priest and Bishop? On the Correct Handling … Continue reading
Here is an interesting contrast. First, a snip from an off-the-cuff, non-Magisterial remark of Pope Francis during a daily homily. Note his disparaging words about “doctors of the law”. Hmmm… it seems to me that there is something missing. Of … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hello Fr. I am coordinator of our Extraordinary Ministers of Communion. But we have a very troublesome one. He attends every mass and receives Holy Communion at every mass up to six times a day. The … Continue reading
UPDATED: 14 Nov: ORIGINAL Published on: Nov 13, 2014 At the French language site L’Homme Nouveau there is an interesting post about a question a priest posed to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He asked the Congregation: «Un confesseur … Continue reading
His Eminence Robert Card. Sarah of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum addressed a conference of Catholic charitable organizations, having a special reference to the encyclicals of Benedict XVI, Deus caritas est and Caritas in veritate. Here is a CNA account: Vatican … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness, my friend the soon-to-be-moving Fr. Tim Finigan has a great post on an important topic. HERE He brings up the point of receiving Holy Communion in such a way that it becomes “routine”. I suggest that people examine … Continue reading
At the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, William Oddie has his say about Card. Kasper, his odd notions about Communion for the divorced and remarried, the upcoming Synod and Pope Francis. Read the whole thing HERE, but I … Continue reading
An old friend of mine, Msgr. Charles Mangan noticed my answer about safeguarding the Blessed Sacrament and sent me this to share with you. “Ten Commandments of Reverence for the Most Blessed Sacrament” Monsignor Charles M. Mangan 1. Attend Holy … Continue reading
Ed Peters, distinguished canonist, posted at his blog, In The Light Of The Law, about the upcoming autumn Synod on the family. He has no combox over there, but you should visit his place. I suggest a careful reading of … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Gerald Murray has a fine piece at The Catholic Thing about His Eminence Walter Card. Kasper’s odd proposals about the divorced and remarried, his notion that they can be, in their adulterous relations, tolerated but not accepted at … Continue reading
From a reader: If a person is remarried with children and cannot get an annulment on their first marriage do they have to divorce before they can receive communion? Does not receiving communion mean a persons eternal life is in jeopardy? Is it … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, I receive communion on the tongue while kneeling. Recently, a priest has begun to make an issue that while I am already in the position for communion with my mouth open and tongue out, he … Continue reading