Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- abasham: Others have pointed out the definition of “ori entalism 8221; that I think ol’ Beans is going for here, but I’ll add that a significan t part of this “ori ental...
- Semper Gumby: Thanks Fr. Z for the podcast. A masterpiec e of a speech. A tactical masterpiec e at Gettysburg was performed by Col. Joshua Chamberlai n and the 20th Maine at Little Round Top. Great...
- Fr. Thomas Kocik: I’ve often said that to denigrate ad orientem worship in the Western Church is not only to suggest that the Latins had been “doi ng it wrong̶ 1; all those centur...
- Fr. John: Great idea Father, some of us do not have “Arms” and I would love to research this more. Any suggestion s for resources? Zenit reported several years ago that the Vatican was going to...
- Robert_Caritas: Interestin gly, I heard that Golias, the French NCR, is staffed in large part by former priests and seminarian s. No one else I think would be interested in the ideologize d brand...
- Greg Hlatky: I suppose the OF Mass can be reverent and dignified. I’ve never been to one like that. My experience has been more “The Father Tom Show, with special guest Jesus Christ,...
- BrionyB: God bless Fr Marcus, and all the faithful young priests out there.
- JesusFreak84: So all of those sites are ticking off the right people. Got it.
- cwillia1: I think faggoli 217;s point is a little clearer if you replace ad-orienta lism with ad-oriente m-ism. His post is a cheap play on words but I don’ t see any insult to Eastern...
- Joe in Canada: I’m not a theologian . I belong to the Latin church and have worked in one of the Eastern Catholic churches, and have an advanced degree in Byzantine studies, and this makes no...
- Mario Bird: I can’ t see the name “Cor ky” without thinking of Waiting for Guffman. Perhaps, as a sign of walking together, a “Rem ains of the Day” lunchbox would set...
- LeeGilbert: When we first came out here to Portland in 2008 we discovered a Latin Mass parish, St. Birgitta’s , from which came many vocations to the priesthood and religious life. Based on this...
- crjs1: Orientalis m, according to Edward Said, is how Western scholarshi p and popular culture views and presents non-wester n society as inferior to the west, so legitimisi ng western interve...
- vetusta ecclesia: They are died-in-th e-wool Protestant s. Plenty of “ecclesial bodies” they can join!
- Unwilling: Agree with Dan re John xxiii. Can anyone point to the main cause or origin of the theologica l craziness and pastoral self-destr uction that (as far as I can tell) emerged and explo...
- SebastianHvD: I think he means that building your altar “ad orientem 8221; only makes sense in the western world, whereas the churches east of Jerusalem should actually build them to the...
- Benedict Joseph: “The y came home aflame …” You can say that again, and here we are today. Talk about the attempt to turn a swine̵ 7;s ear into a silk purse̷ 0;will no one rid...
- chantgirl: I wonder if these men are using the term clericalis m in the same vein that Francis and his cronies are. If so, are they blaming the sex abuse crisis on clericalis m in order to usher in...
- Gab: @BrionyB “My personal observatio ns are that (1) the most reverent OF Masses tend to be those said by priests who also say the EF;” That has been my experience also. One of the...
- frjimt: in the 35th anniv of my class: mount st mary’ ;s, emmitsburg , we count very few who’ ve left, 2 bishops (Dallas & Oklahoma city) & a great number of us shepher...
- Unwilling: Agree with Fr Charles that the allusion intended is to Said’ ;s Orientalis m. https://en .wikipedia .org/wiki/ Orientalis m_(book) Fundamenta l to Said’ ;s doctrine (which...
- JustaSinner: Silly me, I thought ‘arms’ were for Tactical Shotguns in appropriat e priestly colorsR 30; [That too.]
- Amerikaner: NCR always gives me good laugh̷ 0; like The Onion.
- Ben Kenobi: I actually quite liked Romeo + Juliet. Keeping the archaic language but drawing curious parallels between then and the modern day strikes me as a very ‘sha kespearean ’...
- BrionyB: I agree it may not be the EF per se that leads to the increase in vocations, but rather the greater reverence at Mass, and the fact that the priest and people are behaving as though they...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Beans v. the East – @MassimoFaggioli cheapshots Orientals
- The effect of the Extraordinary Form on vocations to the priesthood
- Dinosaur Media attack on Catholics who uphold Faith and Morals
- Truly pathetic musings at the Fishwrap about priesthood and those halcyon days of Vatican II
- 19 Nov 1863: The Gettysburg Address
- Christmas, Priests, Arms, and You
- Reliable Catholic and Pro-Life Causes
- “”Transphobia is a word created by fascists, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons”.
- ASK FATHER: My priest doesn’t carry the “emergency phone”
- Sweetheart Grips and Fortune’s Wheel
- ASK FATHER: Absolution from a heretical priest and then going to Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- To Prelates: “Don’t Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It’s Raining.”
- Pre-Post Thanksgiving, Pre-Post Christmas Shopping
- ASK FATHER: Could the Church make “communal services” the norm for the Sacrament of Penance?
- UPDATED BRICK BY BRICK in Florida! New Sunday TLM established.
- Latin-less Priests and Homeschoolers – UPDATED
- More Jesuit antics in that ‘caput malorum omnium’ the Church in Germany
- ASK FATHER: Could Latin be suppressed? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants
- A solid “state of the question” VIDEO about The Present Crisis
- In how many ways is this creepy?
- HEADS WILL ROLL! A new “You won’t believe your eyes ugly” altar
- Why homosexualists hate Papa Ratzinger so much.
- My View For Awhile: Delayed Edition & Fr. Z’s Kitchen
- Solipsistic, self-aggrandizing @FatherRosica dares to vet Catholic news sources
- ASK FATHER: “I am doubting that the current Catholic Church is the Church it has always claimed to be”
- Strange Signs, the End Times and YOU
- A reader’s first impressions on attending the Extraordinary Form
- Horrifying Big Business Abortion Ad
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Holy Communion
From a reader…
I have a question about the number of times Holy Communion May be received in a day. And I know the answer sort of.
The question is, if you may receive twice in the same day within the context … Continue reading
You wrote in a recent post, “Holy Communion for the divorced and remarried (which in 99.99% of cases would be sacrilege).” Can you tell me what scenario would permit your conscience to give communion to the remarried? I can think … Continue reading
From a reader…
Would it be wrong to receive the Eucharist attending the Saturday Mass of Anticipation & Sunday Mass? [Both with the same Liturgy].
Since matters of reception of the Eucharist in Communion more than once in a short period keeps coming … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of the precepts of the Church states we are to receive Holy Communion at Easter. I always wondered if that meant Easter Mass or during the Easter season. My 1962 Missal say Easter (period) but I have … Continue reading
I have had my eye on John Card. Onaiyekan, archbishop of Abuja in Nigeria, for some time.
There was recently a Eucharistic Congress in the Philippines. Since Archbp. Piero Marini (former MC to JP2) is in charge of these conferences you … Continue reading
Here we go again.
Pope Francis has offered some confusing observations about the possibility of Lutherans receiving Holy Communion in the Catholic Church.
I’m getting email… angry… alarmed… confused… sad… above all demoralized.
Edward Pentin has the best press breakdown I have seen … Continue reading
From a reader…
In the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Mass (EF), are Deacons (either transitional or permanent) allowed to distribute Holy Communion? Or is this a faculty reserved to only the Priest and Bishop?
On the Correct Handling of Contradictions Among … Continue reading
Here is an interesting contrast.
First, a snip from an off-the-cuff, non-Magisterial remark of Pope Francis during a daily homily. Note his disparaging words about “doctors of the law”.
Hmmm… it seems to me that there is something missing. Of course these … Continue reading
From a reader…
Hello Fr. I am coordinator of our Extraordinary Ministers of Communion. But we have a very troublesome one. He attends every mass and receives Holy Communion at every mass up to six times a day. The priests have … Continue reading
UPDATED: 14 Nov: ORIGINAL Published on: Nov 13, 2014
At the French language site L’Homme Nouveau there is an interesting post about a question a priest posed to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He asked the Congregation:
«Un confesseur peut-il donner … Continue reading
His Eminence Robert Card. Sarah of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum addressed a conference of Catholic charitable organizations, having a special reference to the encyclicals of Benedict XVI, Deus caritas est and Caritas in veritate.
Here is a CNA account:
Vatican City, Nov … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness, my friend the soon-to-be-moving Fr. Tim Finigan has a great post on an important topic. HERE
He brings up the point of receiving Holy Communion in such a way that it becomes “routine”.
I suggest that people examine their consciences … Continue reading
At the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, William Oddie has his say about Card. Kasper, his odd notions about Communion for the divorced and remarried, the upcoming Synod and Pope Francis.
Read the whole thing HERE, but I can … Continue reading
An old friend of mine, Msgr. Charles Mangan noticed my answer about safeguarding the Blessed Sacrament and sent me this to share with you.
“Ten Commandments of Reverence for the Most Blessed Sacrament”
Monsignor Charles M. Mangan
1. Attend Holy Mass on Sundays … Continue reading