Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- William: Pfft… ;that photo of His Awesomenes s Hilter 2.0 is too focused and not grainy enough to be taken seriously.
- AndyMo: “The re is a gospel choir, consisting of a pianist, guitarist and two singers. 8221; In what universe does 2 singers and a bunch of backup instrument s constitute a choir?
- Sawyer: @ arga, yes I think Robert George is underestim ating Fr. James MartinR 17;s craftiness and verbal deceptions . Fr. Martin acknowledg ing what Church teaching/d octrine is does not mean...
- jme493: It’s odd how Fr. Martin tries to use the Sacred Scriptures to claim that God is pleased with homosexual ity. Especially since the same book that includes the Psalm he quoted has...
- William: So the whole repeated comments about the dropoff of attendees was to distract people from the real fact that it’s the lower-c catholics who are leaving and being replaced by upper-c...
- Titus: Where is the statement of findings or conclusion s from the CSSR panel saying that they found he hadn’ ;t done anything wrong? All we have via the links is the press release from...
- Charivari Rob: Fr. Kelly, I made no such suggestion . Please re-ead carefully. While acknowledg ing the possibilit y that a bishop could be petty/vind ictive/etc … as some commenters are...
- arga: In re Martin: poor Robby George got snookered. See his sad apologia at http://www .thepublic discourse. com/2018/0 6/21846/ in which he acknowledg es MartinR 17;s mistake in promot...
- maternalView: I am reading The First Society now. It is excellent. Anyone concerned about the current marriage and family crisis should read this book. I was afraid it might be a little dry....
- rdb: I studied with Fr. Jones and agree, he is a smart and holy priest. My favorite part of the article was, “It is a topsy-turv y argument, pitting younger traditiona lists, intent on...
- Benedictus: Hmmmm. I know Father Marko Djonovic, and he is one of the most solid priests I have ever met. He is a faithful priest. I am going to devote rosaries and fast for this oratory!
- SpesUnica: This seemed apropos: https://en .wikipedia .org/wiki/ Favomancy
- SomeCatholicDude: I attended Mass yesterday at St. Peter, one of the CanonsR 17; other parishes, and there wasn’ ;t an announceme nt or note in the bulletin. But, it was the celebratio n...
- Semper Gumby: That door gunnerR 17;s shoulder patch reads: Making the Galaxy Great Again. Space Force spaceships should be stocked not only with barrels of salted beef and dried peas, but the...
- HvonBlumenthal: Psalm 50 offers a clarificat ion “Behold, I was shapen in wickedness , and in sin hath my mother conceived me.”
- Semper Gumby: God bless Fr. Heilman, ad multos annos!
- Clinton: Regarding Congresswo man Maxine WatersR 17; calls for Democrats to harass and assault members of the President& #8217;s administra tion, I find it telling that none of her fellow...
- Sawyer: Since God is the universal, first cause nothing in creation is outside the purview of his causal power. Nothing happens nor exists in the created order that is not somehow the result of...
- monstrance: Or maybe not so pernicious . The gloves are almost off, along with the mask. Fr Martín has been given a comfort zone. Who will disrupt it ? He also grossly twists scripture in his tweet...
- Fr. Kelly: The scandalous character of this decision to withhold faculties from Fr. Phillips after the investigat ion found him innocent of the things he was accused of can be seen from the comme...
- AA Cunningham: Disappoint ing that Father Phillips public faculties remain suspended. Fr. Phillips Not Allowed to Return to Public Ministry
- Gregg the Obscure: 1. “He must increase and i must decrease 8221; 2. the meaning of the name John 3. the last words of JtB in scripture, repeated at every Mass, are what his life and ours...
- Ame E.: Father said all the prophets before Saint John the Baptist basically pointed towards the coming of the Messiah. St. John is the only one who said, Ecce Agnus Dei. Here he is. And the...
- Gregg the Obscure: One wonders about the degree to which Fr. Phillips 8217; fate is influenced by recent news about Cardinal McCarrick and the allegation that another current Cardinal knew about...
- TonyO: No law transgress ed but no faculties. Could be that he was doing things which were suspicious …and while not technicall y breaking any law, they have deemed him to be dangerous, unsuita...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: good summer reading
- Silly piece at Fishwrap aimed at the new Oratory in @DetroitCatholic
- What has the Left been up to? A few examples.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: ‘Na ciumacata! Daje!
- Your John the Baptist Sunday Sermon Notes
- 30 years a priest, 60th birthday – a priest’s first real Solemn Mass! Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Reuters and @PhilipPullella create fake news, pit Francis against Trump
- Fr. Phillips of @SJCantius will NOT be allowed to return to public ministry after he was exonerated
- Concerning Card. McCarrick
- URGENT UPDATE – Fr. Phillips EXONERATED! UPDATED!
- Dubious dubia about the Dubia
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Holy Communion
From a reader…
I have a question about the number of times Holy Communion May be received in a day. And I know the answer sort of.
The question is, if you may receive twice in the same day within the context … Continue reading
You wrote in a recent post, “Holy Communion for the divorced and remarried (which in 99.99% of cases would be sacrilege).” Can you tell me what scenario would permit your conscience to give communion to the remarried? I can think … Continue reading
From a reader…
Would it be wrong to receive the Eucharist attending the Saturday Mass of Anticipation & Sunday Mass? [Both with the same Liturgy].
Since matters of reception of the Eucharist in Communion more than once in a short period keeps coming … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of the precepts of the Church states we are to receive Holy Communion at Easter. I always wondered if that meant Easter Mass or during the Easter season. My 1962 Missal say Easter (period) but I have … Continue reading
I have had my eye on John Card. Onaiyekan, archbishop of Abuja in Nigeria, for some time.
There was recently a Eucharistic Congress in the Philippines. Since Archbp. Piero Marini (former MC to JP2) is in charge of these conferences you … Continue reading
Here we go again.
Pope Francis has offered some confusing observations about the possibility of Lutherans receiving Holy Communion in the Catholic Church.
I’m getting email… angry… alarmed… confused… sad… above all demoralized.
Edward Pentin has the best press breakdown I have seen … Continue reading
From a reader…
In the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Mass (EF), are Deacons (either transitional or permanent) allowed to distribute Holy Communion? Or is this a faculty reserved to only the Priest and Bishop?
On the Correct Handling of Contradictions Among … Continue reading
Here is an interesting contrast.
First, a snip from an off-the-cuff, non-Magisterial remark of Pope Francis during a daily homily. Note his disparaging words about “doctors of the law”.
Hmmm… it seems to me that there is something missing. Of course these … Continue reading
From a reader…
Hello Fr. I am coordinator of our Extraordinary Ministers of Communion. But we have a very troublesome one. He attends every mass and receives Holy Communion at every mass up to six times a day. The priests have … Continue reading
UPDATED: 14 Nov: ORIGINAL Published on: Nov 13, 2014
At the French language site L’Homme Nouveau there is an interesting post about a question a priest posed to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He asked the Congregation:
«Un confesseur peut-il donner … Continue reading
His Eminence Robert Card. Sarah of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum addressed a conference of Catholic charitable organizations, having a special reference to the encyclicals of Benedict XVI, Deus caritas est and Caritas in veritate.
Here is a CNA account:
Vatican City, Nov … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness, my friend the soon-to-be-moving Fr. Tim Finigan has a great post on an important topic. HERE
He brings up the point of receiving Holy Communion in such a way that it becomes “routine”.
I suggest that people examine their consciences … Continue reading
At the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, William Oddie has his say about Card. Kasper, his odd notions about Communion for the divorced and remarried, the upcoming Synod and Pope Francis.
Read the whole thing HERE, but I can … Continue reading
An old friend of mine, Msgr. Charles Mangan noticed my answer about safeguarding the Blessed Sacrament and sent me this to share with you.
“Ten Commandments of Reverence for the Most Blessed Sacrament”
Monsignor Charles M. Mangan
1. Attend Holy Mass on Sundays … Continue reading