Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- frjim4321: Honestly? You call that a martini? Where is the condensati on? Where is the skim of little ice chips floating on the surface? You need me to make you a proper martini. [Okay̷ 0; we...
- RomualdMonk: So much for having a longer marriage prep formation prior to marriage as Pope Francis pushed a few years back as necessary.
- Grant M: This could become a habit: Flight Attendant: “Holy Father, I’m not baptised or confirmed yet.” Pope grabs a bottle of mineral water and a sachet of olive oil from the trolley. In a...
- Charles E Flynn: In 2017, there were no fatal crashes of commercial airliners. And yet, the outstandin g Smithsonia n Channel program, called “Air Disasters& #8221; in the USA and narra...
- Volanges: The article I read said that they approached him and asked him to “ble ss their marriage 8221;. That’ ;s when he asked if they were married in the Church and they explai...
- SenexCalvus: The Pope used the Power of the Keys to heal and sanctify a relationsh ip between a man and a woman in need of God’s forgivenes s and grace. [Is that so?] To effect such healings is the...
- Joy65: “As this story reverberat es ‘round the world, now, deacons, priests, and bishops who try to uphold Church norms fostering values such as deliberate marriage preparatio n, an eccles...
- Ave Crux: @Akita: unlike some other members of the hierarchy who shall remain unamed for the sake of this post, I have said many times in discussion with others, and still believe, that Pope...
- Southern Catholic: PostCathol ic, Twitter wouldnR 17;t need a copyright to database informatio n that is sent and received on the platform it owns and operates. Can you point me to what law...
- Imrahil: I’m really sorry for the inadverten t paste of something I didn’ ;t even intentiona lly copy. (Though I don’ t think it’s a mortal sin.)
- The Masked Chicken: “Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes? The Avion Papacy? Where is our modern day St. Catherine of Siena?R 21; Well, that won’ t be me. Every...
- Traductora: I read just a little while ago that this was actually arranged in advance with a Francis “advisor,” Francis and the couple. I doubt that they had preparatio n or a resolution of their...
- Chuck4247: Thank you for the story behind the Christolog ical Goldfinch. I hadn’ ;t heard it before, in spite of numerous references on this blog.
- tamranthor: So, were I to put my faith in this article, I could, by rights, shoot the author, and then apologize, because while I may have committed murder, I did so out of devotion to the Church...
- tamranthor: I’m quite certain that the Pope ascertaine d that both participan ts were in a state of grace prior to commencing the ceremony. Okay, that’ ;s just snarky, but his behav...
- Geoffrey: If this report is accurate, I am pleasantly surprised that Pope “Fra ncis asked them if they were married in the ChurchR 21;. How many clergy would just ignore a coupleR 17;s...
- Akita: Another cause for sorrow in the demolition of the sacraments . Appearance s count. God gave us senses to discern. This is the trivializa tion of a sacrament. Many priests will suffer on...
- Suburbanbanshee: If we lived in an unfallen world, and if all unfallen humans had done their job of taming the earth, all of nature would be a consecrate d part of God’ s cosmic temple. But...
- Suburbanbanshee: 1 answer – “Do I look like the Pope? Heh, maybe he can dispense himself, but my bishop can’ t, and neither can I.” Complicate d answer- Explain the meaning...
- Imrahil: This may be one of my very occasional departures into scrupulosi ty, but if God made or allowed me to remember a mortal sin (or an at least venial sin which I really suspect could have...
- Aquinas Gal: I used to dread papal airplane trips because of what the pope might say. Now I dread them also because of what he might do!
- APX: Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes? The Avion Papacy? Where is our modern day St. Catherine of Siena?
- Semper Gumby: PostCathol ic: Due to the moderation queue I just read your comment of 19 Jan. at 1:14 am. Your admission of your mistake regarding the number of Twitter employees is commendabl e....
- Ave Crux: @frjim4321 : what we don’ t know is actually the problem 230; Saint Francis of Assisi (ironicall y the Pope’ ;s namesake) said that one must avoid even the *appearanc e* of...
- The Masked Chicken: The couple had been civilly married for eight years. Obviously, they did not feel any urgency to get married, sacramenta lly. This, in itself, shows poor formation with regards...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Holy Communion
You wrote in a recent post, “Holy Communion for the divorced and remarried (which in 99.99% of cases would be sacrilege).” Can you tell me what scenario would permit your conscience to give communion to the remarried? I can think … Continue reading
From a reader…
Would it be wrong to receive the Eucharist attending the Saturday Mass of Anticipation & Sunday Mass? [Both with the same Liturgy].
Since matters of reception of the Eucharist in Communion more than once in a short period keeps coming … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of the precepts of the Church states we are to receive Holy Communion at Easter. I always wondered if that meant Easter Mass or during the Easter season. My 1962 Missal say Easter (period) but I have … Continue reading
I have had my eye on John Card. Onaiyekan, archbishop of Abuja in Nigeria, for some time.
There was recently a Eucharistic Congress in the Philippines. Since Archbp. Piero Marini (former MC to JP2) is in charge of these conferences you … Continue reading
Here we go again.
Pope Francis has offered some confusing observations about the possibility of Lutherans receiving Holy Communion in the Catholic Church.
I’m getting email… angry… alarmed… confused… sad… above all demoralized.
Edward Pentin has the best press breakdown I have seen … Continue reading
From a reader…
In the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Mass (EF), are Deacons (either transitional or permanent) allowed to distribute Holy Communion? Or is this a faculty reserved to only the Priest and Bishop?
On the Correct Handling of Contradictions Among … Continue reading
Here is an interesting contrast.
First, a snip from an off-the-cuff, non-Magisterial remark of Pope Francis during a daily homily. Note his disparaging words about “doctors of the law”.
Hmmm… it seems to me that there is something missing. Of course these … Continue reading
From a reader…
Hello Fr. I am coordinator of our Extraordinary Ministers of Communion. But we have a very troublesome one. He attends every mass and receives Holy Communion at every mass up to six times a day. The priests have … Continue reading
UPDATED: 14 Nov: ORIGINAL Published on: Nov 13, 2014
At the French language site L’Homme Nouveau there is an interesting post about a question a priest posed to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He asked the Congregation:
«Un confesseur peut-il donner … Continue reading
His Eminence Robert Card. Sarah of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum addressed a conference of Catholic charitable organizations, having a special reference to the encyclicals of Benedict XVI, Deus caritas est and Caritas in veritate.
Here is a CNA account:
Vatican City, Nov … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness, my friend the soon-to-be-moving Fr. Tim Finigan has a great post on an important topic. HERE
He brings up the point of receiving Holy Communion in such a way that it becomes “routine”.
I suggest that people examine their consciences … Continue reading
At the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, William Oddie has his say about Card. Kasper, his odd notions about Communion for the divorced and remarried, the upcoming Synod and Pope Francis.
Read the whole thing HERE, but I can … Continue reading
An old friend of mine, Msgr. Charles Mangan noticed my answer about safeguarding the Blessed Sacrament and sent me this to share with you.
“Ten Commandments of Reverence for the Most Blessed Sacrament”
Monsignor Charles M. Mangan
1. Attend Holy Mass on Sundays … Continue reading
Ed Peters, distinguished canonist, posted at his blog, In The Light Of The Law, about the upcoming autumn Synod on the family. He has no combox over there, but you should visit his place.
I suggest a careful reading of what … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Gerald Murray has a fine piece at The Catholic Thing about His Eminence Walter Card. Kasper’s odd proposals about the divorced and remarried, his notion that they can be, in their adulterous relations, tolerated but not accepted at … Continue reading