You keep this blog going.
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…When you shop through Amazon, please come HERE first and enter Amazon through my search box or one of my links. I will then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst... if you can't see the search box, turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!) A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
Click the image below and say your “Daily Offering”
- Paul M. said “No one seems to care that these prayers are...
- maryh said http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2013/05/...
- acardnal said “The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with...
- maryh said Does this work? http://old.usccb.org/romanmissal/s...
- robtbrown said Phil_NL says: Robtbrown His right to receive on...
- Austin Catholics said URL?
- Priam1184 said Entirely correct. If the tabernacle were placed b...
- Miss Anita Moore, O.P. said Thomas S says: What other acts committed in a chur...
- frjim4321 said Mary, I need to find a text to copy and paste. I w...
- Gail F said Sheesh. I am glad I’m not a priest after rea...
- The Masked Chicken said “The whistleblowers say they aim to provide...
- jhayes said Venner was a crypto-fascist and a neo-pagan. R...
- Will D. said Some years ago, the police shot and killed a man a...
- The Masked Chicken said “Indeed. Lay people do not have rights when...
- maryh said @frjim4321 I’m curious myself. Could you giv...
- Geoffrey said I think I recall seeing some sort of ritual for su...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said The main entry, friends, is not really about the b...
- frjim4321 said I meant EP1 was “curious” in that I do...
- Supertradmum said When seminaries allow both kneeling of altar serve...
- Basher said Poor Notre Dame – from Wikipedia: The of...
- maryh said @Dave N For example sex abuse in the public school...
- Matt R said This happened in my parish. I decided one day in A...
- maryh said Addition: the 2011 incident was not reported as a...
- maryh said @xgenerationcatholic I followed the links you gave...
- JuliaSaysPax said I had no idea that something needed to be done aft...
- Desertfalcon said I don’t know why he did it, but no reason ca...
- Lynne said The problem in Archbisop Meyer’s diocese lea...
- Giuseppe said Catholic middle school memory (nerd edition): I b...
- Conchur said Venner was a crypto-fascist and a neo-pagan. He ch...
- Thomas S said Thank you, Charles. It seems to leave a lot of ro...
A great new biography of St. Francis of Assisi by Fr. Augustine Thompson, OP, who posts here now and then. Learn about the saint after whom Pope Francis purposely chose his name.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Buy “Say The Black Do The Red” stuff
Show public support!
LEAVE VOICEMAIL!I reactivated my phone numbers whereby you can leave me voicemail which I could, perhaps, use in future PODCAzTs. I do not answer these numbers. Leave voicemail.
UK: +44 20 8133 4535
US: +1 651 447 6265
if I can use this in a podcast
if you want to be anonymous
- A priest reacts to priests reacting to the new translation
- Dominican Sisters in FINALE of American Bible Challenge! PREVIEW VIDEO
- A new Catholic “whistle-blower” group
- Ed Peters on the suicide at Notre-Dame de Paris
- QUAERITUR: Can Father require all servers to stand to receive Communion?
- Lest We Forget: Of surveys, liturgical translations and whining
- Disasters, Death, and You
- Learning from disaster
- OLDIE PODCAzT 119: The Holy Name and Blasphemy
- WDTPRS POLL: All-male sanctuary/altar service and vocations to the priesthood.
- QUAERITUR: The colors of altar boy cassocks
- Quilisma by Quilisma! ROME: A Masters Degree in Gregorian Chant!
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Your Good News
- St. Golden Girl
- QUAERITUR: Wives of deacons aren’t deacons too, are they?
- WDTPRS: Pentecost Sunday: weaving and imbuing and saving and dyeing
- Computer RAM question
- WDTPRS – Vigil of Pentecost (1962MR): from gerbils to lions
- Pres. Obama’s disrespect for the military
- Need a review of what’s up with the LCWR?
- Guest Post: Use of Latin in the Ordinary Form
- Beauty break
- GUEST POST: “No more terrible Latin.”
- Francis and friend
- Looking for summer reading? Try book Pope Francis likes!
- QUAERITUR: Getting married on a Friday. Must I abstain from meat? Fr. Z includes a brief rant.
- An exercise in fine noontime dining!
- FATHERS! Is your wi-fi, your network, secure? BISHOPS! Read this and ponder!
- Judge rules: Bp. Finn cannot be held liable in a civil lawsuit against a priest
Because you asked…
Fr. Z’s KINDLE Wish List
Tag Archives: Holy Days of Obligation
Wherein Fr. Z shows provocatively that Dr. Peters agrees with Fr. Z after all in the matter of one Mass for back to back Holy Days of Obligation
[GO HERE for an important follow-up post.]
I include the picture to the right, only, because, today, I went to the fantastic exhibit on the American painter George Bellows. Thus, “Stag at Starky’s”. The audience depicts the internet more than the … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Do I fulfill my 8 December Holy Day Mass obligation on Saturday and my Sunday obligation by going to Mass on Saturday evening?
Go HERE for an important follow-up post.
I am getting a lot of questions about fulfilling the Mass obligation on the upcoming Saturday afternoon, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception.
Would it fulfill my obligation for the Solemnity to attend vigil … Continue reading
Here is a little offering about the Collect for the Solemnity of Christ the King, as it is today in the post-Conciliar, Ordinary Form, calendar. I use some material I wrote for the best Catholic weekly in the UK, The … Continue reading
Something has to be done.
I am a firm believer that the Extraordinary Form must not be tinkered with right now. We need a long period of stability so that the right sort of “gravitational pull” of the Ordinary and the … Continue reading
“And he shall make all, both little and great, rich and poor, freemen and bondmen, to have a character in their right hand, or on their foreheads.”
Under the entry about our obligation to attend Holy Mass, someone posted this comment (I removed it to here):
I’ve always had a fantasy where I make wallet sized Catholic obligation cards. These would have check boxes or punch boxes for … Continue reading
Here is something for us all to think about as we approach the Year of Faith.
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, comes this good reflection. It is on their regular site, but can be found in the … Continue reading
From a reader:
I would love to attend the TLM, and there is an SSPX Chapel less than 15 miles from my home; but everytime I try to get information regarding the SSPX, I’ve received contradictory information. One “expert” claims that attendance … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Tim Finigan, His Hermeueticalness, has on his parish’s website a good reminder for his readers in the UK that Friday 29 June, the Feast or Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul is, for them, a Holy Day … Continue reading
From a reader:
Does one’s obligation to assist at Mass on a Solemnity follow the prescriptions of the diocese where you’re currently located, or do you follow the prescriptions of your home diocese? I will be in Philadelphia on business on … Continue reading
Questions have come to my inbox about Epiphany as a Holy Day of Obligation this year.
Apparently, some zealous participants of TLMs are saying that Epiphany is a holy day of obligation and therefore the faithful are bound under pain of … Continue reading