HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- capchoirgirl: Good shrimp and grits is HEAVEN!!!! ! Yummmmm.
- Gregg the Obscure: a New Orleans style place in town serves shrimp and grits that is delightful
- lgreen515: Cheese grits. You will love them.
- TonyO: Poor Mark. He certainly needs prayers. So do I, so while you offer some for him, can you add me too, please? Thanks. ”The American Church is in deep deep trouble…” A great Catholic I know,...
- acardnal: APX: author is Janet E. Smith, Ph.D
- Gab: I had to google ‘gri ts’. It’s basically polenta. Better than what I imagined ‘gri ts’ to be LOL
- Kenneth Wolfe: When did Mark Shea ever have promise?
- JustaSinner: Wow! Just read his facebook page and twitter feed. There are some serious issues at play in him. I know he’s reading these posts̷ 0;So, Mark, seriously, get some profess...
- ZestyLemonZach: It’s really tiring to see these days people on the road to Calvary trying to wrestle each other off, or outright accusing the other of never being on the road to begin with....
- Unwilling: “gri fter, liar, bully̶ 1;? I know Fr Z only from his blog. From that, Mark’ ;s name calling is so far off the mark one might suspect a misidentif ication of person....
- Semper Gumby: “Gri fter” ;? Ok, we can take “the sting̶ 1; out of that remark. https://yo utube.com/ watch?v=_W xfjWnuEno On the mean streets of 1936 Chicago, where the booze...
- L.: I grew up in rural West Virginia a little south of the Mason-Dixo n Line, which is still “nor thern̶ 1; West Virginia, and never had or saw grits until I was an adult. Oglebay is even...
- Anneliese: How are you a grifter? Grifting implies swindling people out of money. I wasn’ ;t aware you were in that sort of business. Meanwhile, I think he reads the comments on your blog...
- truthfinder: It’s Janet Smith’s book of essays on JPII and Humanae vitae.
- Bryan Baldwin: I started having suspicions about Shea several years ago when he refused to acknowledg e the importance of liturgical praxis. If I recall correctly, he went so far as to say he...
- semperficatholic: Cajuns eat grits two ways..suga r and butter or salt and butter. Depends on your taste at the time.
- hwriggles4: Speaking of books, one book I plan on picking up this week is The Crisis of Bad Preaching. It is published by Ave Maria Press, and it is written by my Pastoral Administra tor. Sounds...
- Semper Gumby: It’s heartening to hear from that seminarian that more seminarian s are Catholic- Men of the Eucharist. Fr. Z: “One of my classmates was expelled for an “exa ggera...
- Cheddar299: Amazingly a former pastor is attending the same conference . That he and Fr. Z. would be at the same conference is stunning. (He began a late Sunday Mass with Contempora ry Christ...
- rollingrj: Does anyone remember the conversati ons Mr. Shea was having about the definition of torture back when waterboard ing was the hot topic? IMVHO, because he was seemingly unable to convi...
- adriennep: I too would like to know how to help contribute to that African priest’s book fund.
- APX: What’s that “Gift of Self” book? I can’t make out the author on my phone screen.
- Mr. Graves: Shea tweets in response to this story: https://ww w.the-amer ican-catho lic.com/20 19/07/16/b umfuzzled/ Looks like he’s got a new avatar. Pity: the one in which he pointed a gun at the...
- Kevin: This is good news Father! I hope the rest of the conference is as rewarding. God Bless you and all the Holy Priests in attendance !!
- philothea.distracted: Dr. Hahn worships at St. Peter’s in Steubenvil le. If your schedule permits I can not recommend them enough. The Ordinary Form is celebrated with Kyrie, Gloria, Lord’s Prayer,...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
- William F. Buckley and Fulton Sheen on Firing Line! 1970
- BOOK: The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
- ACTION ITEM! Help a traditional deacon get to priesthood. Watch marvelous Fulton Sheen video of 1950 Roman Holy Year
- 07/07/07 – 12th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- The beatification of Fulton J. Sheen, patron of faithful priests persecuted by bishops
- Because of so much darkness, there has never been a better time to be a young priest
- Card. Müller on the proposed reform of the Roman Curia
- A dowager of the catholic Left has get’s a dose of the Left’s own medicine.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: holy thursday
Dr. Peters at In The Light Of The Law, a blog on matters canonical, has this to day. He doesn’t have an open combox (which I quietly envy sometimes), so we can have the foot-fight food-fight over here. The annual … Continue reading
I was right on the verge of extending my time in Rome through Holy Week… right on the verge…. then I got on the airplane at the appointed time, which I properly guessed (the day after the “inaugural” Mass). I … Continue reading
The Holy Father’s sermon for Holy Thursday Chrism Mass (in the morning, not the even “Last Supper” Mass). UPDATE: This sermon is starting to get some sizzle. The New York Times is out and the head line is “Pope Assails … Continue reading
I will let you liturgical experts and interested dabblers provide this good reader with some help. I may be missing something, but I can’t see much of a problem. You readers might see differently. From a reader: A question for … Continue reading
From a reader: As it is Lent, it is undoubtedly time to ask the question of women having their feet washed on Holy Thursday. I am well aware (from reading your blog) that it is contrary to law and custom … Continue reading
We had a WDTPRS POLL about what you experienced on Holy Thursday regarding the footwashing rite, or “Mandatum“. The results and your descriptions were interesting. Last night over Beijing Duck I was discussing the Mandatum with friends. Taking my cue … Continue reading
Let’s return for a moment to your experience of the Triduum and Holy Thurday’s Mass of the Last Supper. The rite of washing of feet, or Mandatum, is an option in the Roman Rite. I know of a few places … Continue reading
If any of you watched the Holy Father’s Mass at the Lateran, and perhaps recorded it, could you do me a favor? I noticed that the Pope’s time of silent prayer before the Altar of Repose after Mass was especially … Continue reading
Pope Benedict’s sermon for the Holy Thursday Mass of the Last Supper. My emphases and comments and I add some extra paragraph breaks. Dear Brothers and Sisters! “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer” … Continue reading
The term “Maunday” or “Maundy” Thursday refers to Christ’s mandate (mandatum) in John 13:34 to His apostles in the service of the Church. It is also called sometimes “Shere” Thursday, perhaps from “shere” indicating “tolerance” and “remedy”, in the sense … Continue reading
From a reader: Is there any guidance about where the Altar of Repose on Holy Thursday should be located? For many years at my parish, it was located at one of the side altars in the Church (we have five … Continue reading
From a reader: Well this year is a return of mass foot washings. As our bulletin states, “This year everyone will participate in this action. Please wear socks and shoes that are easy to remove. Towels will be provided.” Should … Continue reading