Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- adriennep: Please explain PCED and when exactly they affirmed it’s okay to fulfill Sunday obligation . We have a problem in Archdioces e of Portland with SSPX continuing Masses every weekend in a...
- MrsMacD: Dear Tina in Ashburn Our Lady appeared to St. Simon Stock on July 16th 1251. She promised that all Carmelites clothed in the scapular would not suffer eternal fire. The Church approved a...
- Kate: I’ve been thinking on their status lately. I guess I still don’ t understand what is left to make them fully regularize d.
- e.e.: Father spoke about the miracle at Cana generally and Mary’ ;s words to the servant: “Do whatever he tells you.” ; He reminded us that there are only a few occasions in the...
- Clinton R.: I am very suspicious of the actions and motives of His Holiness. However, I do pray for him everyday. I pray that God may grant him graces to be a faithful and worthy successor to St....
- JesusFreak84: I’ve almost given up trying to figure out what Pope Francis is thinking at any given time. I’m also curious what’ ;ll happen to these gestures towards the SSPX once...
- Hidden One: Perhaps there will be an incrementa l extension involving the Anointing of the Sick, granting universal faculties for SSPX clergy to offer it, even outside the immediate danger of death...
- Gerard Plourde: The view in Philadelph ia was spectacula r (a rare thing in the urban environmen t of the Northeast Megalopoli s). What a wonderful way to experience another manifestat ion of the...
- Gregg the Obscure: Father seized on the detail of the source of the water. This was water intended to wash off all the bad things of the outside world so that the home could be a place filled with...
- kurtmasur: I knew I was done with attending a certain parish as soon as I heard the choir sing during the Alleluia the “All eluia̶ 1; song as featured in the movie Shrek. They had played...
- Grabski: @gabrielsy me. I was raised in the shadow of the PNCC Cathedral. Their relationsh ip is “limited intercommu nion” meaning that Rome recognizes the validity of their sacraments which says...
- adriennep: Dan Schutte was part of the “St. Louis Jesuits” who back in the 1970s were singlehand edly responsibl e for the corruption of our Church music with their contempora ry folksy tunes. It...
- fmsb78: I am a SSPX attendee and just wanted to point out that if this movement finally paves the way for the so called “reg ularizatio n”, do you realize that would happen under...
- robtbrown: It is of no value to speak of pride, arrogance, and humility in this matter. It is possible to be proud and arrogant and be correct. Likewise, it is also possible to be humble and be...
- RichR: Dan wrote: This quote along with the more famous “when you sing you pray twice” are a favorite of many happy clappy music leaders You can tell them that they are misquoting Augustine. The...
- mikeinmo: Father spoke about the wedding feast, and said that even though the time had not yet come for Jesus to perform miracles, his Mother thought otherwise. He followed her lead and did as she...
- Fr. Kelly: I can say with certainty. While all of the priests of the FSSP and ICKSP who have faculties to say Mass in the Roman Rite, have faculties to offer the NOM, they are not required to do...
- GHP: Dear Father Z, I hope your TLM seed takes root in Tokyo! [Una Voce Japan has been at this for some time. I just poured a little water.] I will be living there in a couple of years in my...
- Fr_Andrew: The question is actually an interestin g Canonical question, in fact. It concerns a small, seemingly unimportan t section from Canon 200-203. It then needs help from commentato rs and...
- MrsMacD: I found the video where the FSSP priest says the above; https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? time_conti nue=33& ;v=5o-6izA kWXU
- HvonBlumenthal: Plus admirabili s I am certainly not an exquisite latinist but even I know that subsistit does not mean “is”. And if it did, then “subsistit in” would mean “is in” so the transla...
- IngridAiram: When things are okay-ish, I tend to sing it along. It does help tot worship in some way. When we happen to arrive in the monthly family Mass (which is usually a set Sunday, except when...
- MrsMacD: I have heard an FSSP priest say, ‘I have never said a novus ordo Mass, I have no interest in saying the Novus Ordo Mass, I will never say a novus ordo Mass.̵ 7; So that thing...
- Tina in Ashburn: The requiremen t for the Brown Scapular is 100 percent brown wool, no requiremen t of content for the strings. And yes, one can use the scapular medal as a lesser replacemen t....
- Mariana2: Very convenient ly was able to watch it from my bedroom window this morning.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- What’s up with the SSPX?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Super-Wolf-Blood Moon!
- WDTPRS: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany – liturgical unicorn
- Francis suppressed the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”. Fr. Z remarks.
- ASK FATHER: Do I have to sing at Mass?
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- My View For Awhile: Westward
- ASK FATHER: Finding good sponsors for confirmation
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: holy water
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it a sin to drink/use to cook/use for other purposes BLESSED WATER A/O SALT? No, it is not a sin! On the contrary. Blessed salt and bless water are meant, among other purposes, also for consumption. … Continue reading
What are priests for? Short answer: They offer sacrifice. The role of the priest is to confect the Eucharist, absolve sins, impart blessings, preside at all manner of approved rites. The jocular Scriptural basis for this is, of course, “For … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I saw a meme today to the effect of: Humidifiers fill air with water molecules from a source of water. If that source of water was Holy Water, would it essentially cleanse the room of all … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I got to wondering about the properties of holy water. Since so much water has been blessed before and recycled throughout time, does the church have comments about the length that water stays “holy”? Or is … Continue reading
From a reader… I am currently serving at a parish as a transitional deacon. On Thursday I noticed along with the parishioners that the Holy Water was removed from the entrance of the church. They were looking all around for … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hello Fr Z! Our pastor puts a lot of salt in the holy water. So much so that a MASSIVE crust forms on our font at home. Is it OK to dilute the holy water a … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have included some pictures as a visual aid for my question. Today I went to confession at a church well over 100 years old. As such, the entrance ways are quite cold in the winter, … Continue reading
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard for your Mass of Sunday obligation? Let us know. In the EF, in reference to the effectiveness of God’s blessings, I spoke of Holy Water. In the OF, I also … Continue reading
A weasel can chew through a cable and knock out a particle accelerator, but I can’t chew through an egg salad sandwich. I had what might be called a “dental emergency”. I knocked off the distal cusp of a mandibular molar. Thus, pulling … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently discovered that a Sacristan at the NO parish I attend is filling the Holy Water tank with water taken from the public washroom tap…no priest is blessing this. The Holy Water in this tank is … Continue reading
From a Protestant, catechumen… QUAERITUR: My husband and I are Protestant Christians, both baptized. We have three young children, all under the age of 5, and none of them are baptized. We are beginning RCIA and have been regularly attending … Continue reading
From a reader: I’ve heard it claimed that holy water blessed via the new rite isn’t true holy water since the new rite doesn’t include prayers of exorcism; in other words, according to the person telling me this, such water is merely “blessed … Continue reading
Some of you have been to church already this Lent. Some of you will go tonight for Stations of the Cross. All of you will go on Sunday. Each year we are seeing a lessening of liturgical stupidity, as those … Continue reading
From a reader: At my parish, we have a tradition of taking down and stowing away the San Damiano Cross replica that hangs from the ceiling over our sanctuary. This year, I discovered the plenary indulgence for praying before a … Continue reading