Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- e.e.: St. Michael the archangel, defend us. …If Card. Wuerl has now backed out of attending, perhaps we can continue to pray that certain other attendees might withdraw and the vestme...
- bartlep: I’m still waiting to see a letter written by my bishop, Bp. McElroy. Since he totally ignored a letter written to him by A.W. Snipe on the state of priestly celibacy, he may be...
- Benedict Joseph: Like I said the other day about something else… ;stuck on stupid. The rich tradition of centuries of liturgical vestments and they come up with this crap. And that is what is....
- maternalView: Whatever it means the vestments are ugly. Why can’ t we have the beautiful? Why don’ t “the y” want us to have the it? I want the good, the true and the...
- Wendy Babiak: No, Satan̵ 7;s not hiding his tail… ;he’ s wearing assless chaps! This is all quite gross. I confess that in my heart of hearts sometimes I thank God that we were...
- PostCatholic: I thought as I began to read this article that the objection was going to be to a pre-Christ ian symbol being used for a Christian purpose. I’ve never seen a BDSM flag a-wav...
- maternalView: @mulieribu s Yes, Catholic weddings have become so very complicate d. And it used to be I could easily determine if I could go based on the venue̵ 1; not in a Catholic church then...
- joekstl: I would suggest that you seek out the letter of Bishop Frank Caggiano of Albany ( a son of Brooklyn, NY- my home Diocese). It is excellent and closes with s prayer to the great Mother of...
- Gab: It still looks like “666 ” to me.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: More: Hi Father, Thank you for this very brave post. You are quite right about this. One point that adds to what you say is made by this FSSP priest in his sermon (31 mins):...
- Fallibilissimo: I don’ t know about you guys but after the roller-coa ster of emotions of the past few weeks, I feel like a fresh yet ancient wind is blowing on our shores. Yes, I have no...
- Joy65: What the HECK is going on IS that satan is laughing his head off. he doesn̵ 7;t even have to work hard because we are just letting him walk right in and take over. WHO IN THEIR “...
- Charlotte Allen: I can’ t stand those insipid pastels myselfR 11;but actually, the triple spiral, called the “tri skele̶ 1; or “tri skelion 221;– ;is a pagan...
- Chuck Ludd: While I agree that the vestments are hideous, when I first saw the symbol I assumed it was trinitaria n — but a bad modern symbol of the Trinity. The article posted above sugge...
- Suburbanbanshee: The triskelion , triple spiral, etc. are tied together at the center, and often at the rim of the circle also. This creates a feeling of stability. It is also very satisfying to...
- Kathleen10: I agree, it definitely resembles that diabolical flag. I also agree, the devil cannot hide his horns. We saw that at Joseph Sciambra 8217;s site, with the Quest conference highlig...
- LeeGilbert: From the Irish Examiner article Charles Flynn links above, “The papal vestment has a triple Celtic spiral that is associated with Irish ancient manuscript s while some 70 bisho...
- JustaSinner: What the Hell is going on? No, more to the point, who is going TO hell!!!
- Crabbetrywe: BDSM and pastels? …I don’ t think those things are related. The US Department of Transporta tion uses this motif too, and so did the 27th SS Volunteer Division. Coincid...
- magister63: It could be a take on that BDSM logo. My first thought, pardon my frankness, was three sperm cells swirling, in diverse colors, to symbolize who know what! If it symbolizes three males...
- acardnal: Love, love, love. This is what we hear from the libs. God does NOT love sin! It is the worst evil. God is full of mercy – conditiona l mercy – but he is also a just God. I...
- maternalView: Thanks for this. I don’ t know about these sorts of things so it’s helpful to be told what I should be asking. I will write a letter requesting this. And pray it will be...
- r7blue1pink: I dont even know what to say except.. NOTHING is a coincidenc e… Whether or NOT the parties designing it knew what it was- if they actually did it out of neitivity. . Its defin...
- majuscule: In a previous blogpost Father also asked about “what’s going on?” http://wdt prs.com/bl og/2018/08 /super-cre epy-poster -for-gay-c onference- reveals-ag enda/ It’s the same thing. Why...
- sperisho: Or, rather, emanate from a single center (which this one doesn̵ 7;t do).
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Tag Archives: Ireland
May I recommend to the readership that you would benefit from a subscription to the Catholic Herald?
A lay reader today alerted me to an opinion cartoon in The Sunday Independent in Ireland. That sad, earthly-enslaved nation repealed by referendum the 8th amendment to their Constitution, which protected the right to life of the unborn. The Constitution, … Continue reading
The Irish constitution begins in the name of the Most Holy Trinity, stating:
“In the name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must … Continue reading
ORIGINALLY Published on: May 25, 2018
All, please pray today for the Irish people.
UPDATE: 26 May
I suppose you’ve heard the news by now.
I was just reading a piece by Phil Lawler about the bishops in Chile. Ireland came up:
Pope Benedict XVI … Continue reading
Occasionally a friend of mine in England makes weekend adventures to visit sites where there are preserved “priest holes”, and he sends photos. They really give you pause. As you know, in the 16th and 17th centuries, Catholics who refused … Continue reading
This is amusing in a dark way… sort of like a movie about a screwball dysfunctional family.
Just how dysfunctional is the Catholic Church in Ireland?
From the Irish Times and the annual meeting of the ultra-liberal Ass. of Catholic Priests:
Priests told … Continue reading
Ireland and the Catholic Church in Ireland have their problems. Sadly, they gave some of those problems also to the USA. However, since I am forever harping on praying for vocations to the priesthood, one problem in particular struck me … Continue reading
A while back I wrote that people get the priests that they deserve. Collectively, at least. Priests don’t just spring full grown from the heads of… cabbage.
Recently, a writer at hyper-liberal Commonweal suggested that vocations are down because his grand vision of the … Continue reading
UPDATE BELOW! Photos
Originally Published on: Feb 25, 2017
Here is news to warm the cockles of my beady-black heart.
This comes from the Benedictines of Silverstream Priory in the Diocese of Meath. HERE
On 25 February 2017, they were formally, canonically established by the … Continue reading
Once in a while it is good to be reminded that the oppression is still going on.
Did you see the story about the “conservative” seminarians who were given the heave ho from Maynooth Seminary in Ireland?
From Irish Catholic:
A number of Maynooth … Continue reading
At Crisis I saw something about what the Irish did that serves as a pretty good summary. The whole thing is HERE.
This is a sample:
Some scholars tell us that the gothic genre of story-telling grew up as a response to … Continue reading
You should read Damian Thompson’s take on the recent horrific betrayal by the Irish. HERE
Gay marriage will split the Catholic Church
Ireland, for so long the most overtly Catholic state in Western Europe, has voted for gay marriage by a stupendous … Continue reading
Across the pond at RU-486 (aka The Pill aka The Tablet), we find this:
‘Conformist’ younger clergy wary of Francis – Dublin archbishop
Pope Francis’ courage is causing disquiet among those with “a very conformist and closed Catholicism” the Archbishop of Dublin … Continue reading
Does this surprise anyone? From the Iona Institute:
Irish birthrate slips below replacement level
Ireland’s birthrate has dropped below replacement level, new figures have revealed.
The figures, published yesterday in the Central Statistics Office Statistical Yearbook, show that overall, the total fertility rate, … Continue reading