Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Click the image below (they took away our search box!). Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's Fr. Z's
"catholic" search for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Midwest St. Michael: “Per haps all those people at our Spanish language Masses who don’t come up to communion are also feeling a smug superiorit y? I never thought of that!̶ 1; Heh. Good...
- Mike: Requested a traditiona l Mass through Operation Mission Stipends of the National Coalition of Clergy and Laity.
- Antonin: I mean in MY younger years̷ 0;women were all same age as me in 20’s and 30’s
- PTK_70: @Thorfinn& #8230;..Ju st as is the case with popular expression s of piety, I have a notion that Christian fellowship can take a variety of different forms, depending on circumstan ces,...
- Chaswjd: The content of the teaching merely confirms the adage “lex credenda, lex orandi. 221; While this is from years past, I have no informatio n that things have changed: https:/...
- benedetta: Homeschool ers are always a great blessing and asset to any parish. It’s wonderful when they are welcomed in charity by their priests and appreciate d. So much good comes out of...
- Antonin: Yes men need to stand up and especially for their sons. And Donald Trump for his bluster is a terrible representa tive of responsibi lity. Cheating on wives with porn actresses, joking...
- majuscule: I don’ t know if frjim4321 can read minds or not but he seems to know that people who observe a Wednesday “com munion fast” ; —hom eschoolers who observe a ̶...
- The Masked Chicken: The wording of the 1917 CIC and 1983 CIC are pretty similar as to when the anointing may be received, even though the understand ing of the Sacrament has become more nuanced in...
- AA Cunningham: “Tru th is treason in an empire of lies.̶ 1; Orwell With regard to Cardinal Burke: Card. Burke speaks up and His Eminence is scheduled to deliver a keynote speech at the...
- Ave Crux: @Cengime: thank you for your very comprehens ive reply. What you have shared raised two questions for me: One is about severely chronic and debilitati ng illnesses which are non life-th...
- JonPatrick: “We need a wide national dialogue about this.̶ 1; Unfortunat ely that is not likely to happen soon, for as Tucker Carlson said- one party basically remains in office due to...
- Titus: The scene at Lord Marchmain& #8217;s deathbed in Brideshead Revisited is an excellent demonstrat ion of the principles at work here.
- Kerry: G.E.M. Anscombe 8217;s 1972 essay, ‘Con traception and Chastity 8217;: http://www .orthodoxy today.org/ articles/A nscombeCha stity.php The last paragraph from T.S. Eliot̵ 7;s...
- TonyO: Let me clarify: you can’ t have lived 60+ years in the Church in this day, AND be educated and smart enough to make it to the office of archbishop , without being able to see and know...
- Unwilling: “Pab ulum” ; in Latin is “foo d”; in English first 17thC for plants or animals to maintain life and growth. Within 30 years also being used to refer to things...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- John Grammaticus: Who cares? The Order of Malta is just a bunch of European Aristocrat s in denial over their increasing irrelevanc e.
- TonyO: Archbishop Gomez, obviously, is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Set your compass accordingl y.
- Gregg the Obscure: “How ever, if I need to have surgery to set a bone from breaking my wrist, I’m am not in danger of death.R 21; Have you been reading my mail, Father? I have two broken...
- catholicjen: Carlson: “ 230; a look at the numbers reveals one statistic that tracks the decline of American men almost precisely over time: the disappeara nce of fathers from the home.&...
- frjim4321: The notion of “fas ting” ; from the sacraments seems to be coming back, and not only from the left side of the house. Some of the homeschool ers that attend mass here “...
- bobbird: We endured this for close to THIRTY YEARS by femi-nazi nuns who did all kinds of weird stuff. Liturgical dance (it was SO BAD that they only tried it a few times) was one, having the...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: That’ ;s just it Kathleen. No gate in hell opened up and let all these people out but those same gates sure are wide open waiting for them to enter! Perhaps less talking is...
- Absit invidia: This kind of idiocy is rampant on the West Coast.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 2018 Paschal Blue Moon on Vigil of Easter and more Moon stuff
- ACTION ITEM: Masses to rescue Lea Sharibu held by evil Islamic Boko Haram
- LENTCAzT 2018 38 – Friday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: The happiness of heaven
- Levity, Severity, the Confessional and YOU!
- Tucker Carlson’s series on plight of men in America, disastrous consequences for society
- ASK FATHER: Effect of Sacrament of Anointing in someone in mortal sin
- Really Bad Idea: sand in holy water fonts during Lent
- Author of The Dictator Pope suspended from the Order of Malta
- LENTCAzT 2018 37 – Thursday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: “The Easter problem is not….”
- How bad was the Three Days of Darkness this year?
- UPDATE – JUST TOO COOL! Battle Flag of LEPANTO reproduction available!
- Fishwrap’s Wile E. Coyote v. @DouthatNYT and his new book for Pope Francis’ 5th anniversary
- The Extraordinary Form “raises the bar”
- Lettergate produces a casualty: Msgr. Viganò. Well… not quite.
- LENTCAzT 2018 36 – Wednesday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: It’s madness!
- ROME – 7 April – Conference: “Catholic Church, Where Are You Going?”
- UPDATE & ACTION ITEM for St. John Cantius in Chicago – @SJCantius
- “Not so fast!”, says the damned soul. “Amoris laetitia says,…”.
- LENTCAzT 2018 35 – Tuesday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: “Have mercy on me, at least you, my friends!”
- UPDATE on ACTION ITEM! Pray for important pro-life SCOTUS case! Arguments on 20 March.
- A charming 15th century view of St. Joseph
- My View For Awhile: Northward
- Author of “The Dictator Pope” revealed (officially) and book format now available
- LENTCAzT 2018 34 – Monday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: sin makes you stoopid
- ASK FATHER: Absolution at jail through glass, phone in visitor’s room
- The fruits of dumbing everything down, down, ever down.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes and Passion Sunday POLL: veils on images
- LENTCAzT 2018 33 – 1st Passion Sunday, 5th of Lent: marked with the light of Thy countenance
- Dumb down liturgy. Great idea, right?
- UPDATE: Even more comes about The Letter™: additional missing text
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Japan
I like this story. From CNA:
This sword-wielding Samurai just moved closer to sainthood!
Vatican City, Jan 23, 2016 / 04:02 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The martyrdom of a 16th-century Samurai who died for his Catholic faith was approved this week by Pope … Continue reading
I can’t help but post this because it is JUST TOO COOL.
A 4th c. Gallo-Roman chariot wheel was found intact in the Rhone River!
In other news, from Archeology…
KASHIHARA, JAPAN—A dark blue dish and a clear painted bowl recovered together from a … Continue reading
For your Just Too Cool file comes this from the History Blog:
Roman jewelry found in ancient Japanese tomb
Two glass beads that bear the characteristics of Roman craftsmanship have been found in a 5th century tomb in Nagaoka, near Kyoto in … Continue reading
The debt crisis is likened to a Washington Kabuki dance.
Let’s just see if it is anything like.
In the first video below we have a kabuki presentation of the debt crisis.
President Obama appears, with aides, Daley and Carney (you have … Continue reading
I have often opined that seminarians should be given workshops concerning some basic skills, such as some fundamental sewing, accounting, laundry, and most importantly… cooking. Many priests must live alone and the days of the old-fashioned housekeeper may be gone … Continue reading
We do not know the day or the hour.
I had seen this video before, but Patrick Madrid posted it on his page.
It reminds me of in our Latin Church we sometimes pray about living amidst the vicissitudes of this world.
It … Continue reading
There was a new explosion at one of the reactors in Japan and reports are in that 2.7 meters of a rod are exposed. They are not able, apparently, able to get enough water in to cool the rods. Temperatures … Continue reading
Will you, with me, pray in a special way for the people of Japan? I think we would do well to offer additional penances for their intention.
Perhaps your Stations of the Cross tonight? Your Friday penance?
During my recent stay in NYC I found a nice clean little Japanese restaurant about a block from the rectory with great food and very low prices. I don’t eat Japanese very often, but every once in a while.
Here … Continue reading