Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Dan: My wife has homeschool ed our children for the past 15 years. When she started it was difficult but over the past few years has become the “in& #8221; thing to do and resources are more...
- amenamen: An official of the very secular IMF tosses around a term for a seldom used canonical punishment , with which most Catholics are unfamiliar . We may presume that he himself does not really...
- pseudomodo: I happened to notice the little ‘Fre udian̶ 1; accent slip at the beginning of Fr. Murrays article!! “Eve r since the publicatio n of Amoris Laetitia, doubts have been...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Oh, so liberals DO like canonical penalties.
- Tara Tremuit: ” This is religion pure and undefiled . . . to look after orphans and widows in their tribulatio n — and to keep himself unspotted from the world.R 21; The great tragic...
- Aquinas Gal: The book “In the Beginning& #8221; by Dr Eduardo Echeverria (a defense of Church teaching on homosexual ity) has an excellent chapter about treating personal experience as divine...
- Aquinas Gal: From the same people who continuall y criticized and dissented from the teaching of Popes John Paul II and Benedict.
- HighMass: Yes Tony, lets get rid of those who speak the truth. As seen in the last few years those who speak up are sacked or demoted, etc Our Lady said in the end her immaculate Heart will trium...
- New Sister: @AA Cunningham , what is “Dom us Dei” (encyclica l?); could you provide a link to it? (even if only in Latin) I was unable to find it via search on vatican.va . Thank you,
- Mike: As I understand it, the Basilica falls under the aegis of USCCB. It would seem that a quiet word from Cardinal DiNardo to Msgr. Rossi could restore the rights of EF celebrants with little...
- Fallibilissimo: I can’ t believe what I’m reading here. Someone please tell me this is a mistake. Is it April 1st? Interdict EWTN? Get rid of Raymond Arroyo? Oh but let me guess, these...
- Dan: @gabrial I totally agree that confession s need to be offered more regularly in deaneries. I like your idea of rotations. The last time I was at an SSPX Mass last summer, there was a priests...
- L.: I thought the L.A. cathedral was called the “Taj Mahoney. 8221;
- Michael Haz: Well, as a last-ditch defense, Raymond Arroyo could change his name to a Chinese name, and then be full accomodate d in all matters.
- aquinasadmirer: Tempura has special meaning at our house, as my wife is Japanese. Each Feb 6 (St. Paul Miki) we have Japanese food, and always include tempura. It’s a very concrete way to...
- Eric: The whole interdict, retweeted, is hyperbole. Even the author, hopefully, but surely Spadaro, knows it is not in the cards. But, it is probably a shot across the bow intended to have a...
- hmschoolmom: I wouldnR 17;t say pretty much impossible . Look what just happened on Relevant Radio. They bought Immaculate Heart and then quickly “sil enced̶ 1; certain voices.
- wmeyer: And yet, no interdict called for on the Fishwrap. [And yet… not for the Fishwrap.]
- semperficatholic: “Pap al confidante Father Antonio Spadaro retweeted a call for EWTN to be severely censured “until they get rid of Raymond Arroyo.” 8221; And Judas left many offspring!
- cpt-tom: This does not surprise me at all. The Holy Father has proven to be very authoritar ian, behold his treatment of Traditiona l religious orders like the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate ,...
- Knight from 13904: I totally agree with your comment about the beauty of our older more traditiona l churches. There is an excellent book on this topic called “Ugl y As Sin” . As far as...
- teomatteo: “Whe n it is time to raise money, do the fundraiser s publish literature with whitewashe d walls, bizarre interiors, and spaces that remind you of a parking ramp? SURE they do!...
- Gabriel Syme: Nothing says “Catholic” like a beige wall with a clump of weeds in a vase and cliches like PEACE on a rainbow made by 5th graders. Indeed! In my locality, a common favourite is a...
- cpdog: Hollywood does this not only for churches but for Catholic religious garb as well. Nuns in movies (shock) are dressed like nuns! Why? Because that’ ;s what people expect nuns to look...
- Benedict Joseph: Yesterday Rorate Caeli posted an article which clearly articulate d “wha t sells̶ 1; without saying much at all. It is something to ponder — and even to weep over....
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Kindle
Today is the Feast of St. Mary Magdalene. I hope you have some madeleines today, even though they don’t have much to do with her.
Last year, in the Ordinary Form calendar of the Roman Rite, St Mary Magdalene’s annual liturgical … Continue reading
FYI I saw that there is a sale on Amazon Kindles going on right now. If you don’t have one… what are you thinking?
I use my Kindle a great deal, both at home and when I travel. I use … Continue reading
A friend who is a reader here (and a monthly donor!) recommended a book recently, while we were chatting during evening drinks and cigars at Acton U (he and his wife went to that, too – smart people).
I just finished the audio version and … Continue reading
I saw at the blog of my friend, (still) the P.P. of Blackfen, His Hermeneuticalness himself, Fr. Finigan, that he has hacked his Kindle.
Don’t have a Kindle yet. What on earth are you waiting for? USA HERE (for one type, … Continue reading
At Amazon today, and today only, Sunday, a book by Pope Francis is being offered for free on KINDLE. Open Mind, Faithful Heart.
Regularly… well… not free. [It is now $9.99]
Don’t have a Kindle yet? Get a Paperwhite HERE. One of you … Continue reading
A heads up!
I enjoy using my Kindle.
A new version of the Kindle Paperwhite will be available in these USA on the feast of St. Jerome. You lot across the Atlantic will have to wait until the Feast of St. John … Continue reading
There are new Kindles coming. They can be pre-ordered now. They are to be shipped on 15 October.
I love my Kindle. I am reading a novel on my Kindle now, as a matter of fact. Well… I am actually writing this blog … Continue reading
I have posted on Saul Alinksy‘s “Rules for Radicals” before. However, over at Etheldreda’s Place they were listed, and – at the bottom of that post – an interesting comment was added (go THERE to find it, and yes I … Continue reading
Slated for reading on my Kindle right now:
I think he might have not quite understood St. Thomas More’s notion of Utopia, but he is exceptionally good.
More Mitch Rapp from my homey, Vince Flynn. Prequel.
Hoping it will be a tenth as … Continue reading
Thanks for the support you are giving to the Wyoming Carmelites by buying their coffee. How is your coffee supply these days? Br. Java tells me their Jingle Bell Java blend is almost gone.
Also, thanks for using my Amazon links … Continue reading
The power is out. So, time to get some reading done. I don’t have a case with light for my Kindle, so it’s Kindle by kindled candle.
I have the Kindle 3g which has a keyboard. I was … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness, Fr Tim Finigan, recommended this book to me. I got it and I am glad I did. I now recommend it to you.
As a bonus to you Kindle owners, you can get the Kindle version for only $6.19! … Continue reading
Since I am in the London right now, I perked up when I found that the new Kindle from amazon is available in the UK.
Here are some USA links and comments on the Kindle I posted elsewhere.
I have the Kindle … Continue reading
I have been enjoying my Kindle enormously. I have the Kindle 3g which has a keyboard. I was sceptical at first but I have been won over. It is especially useful for books I don’t especially want to … Continue reading
The great Laudator has a fun entry today about the best places in which to read certain authors.
I resonate mightily with this a amusing post, since I have fond memories of a summer sitting in the sun reading 19th c. … Continue reading
I like listening to audio books. They allow me to do other chore-like things which don’t in themselves require intense concentration. They are great for long road-trips in a car or on an airplane.
I have also enjoyed – for more … Continue reading
I noticed that Amazon is pushing now their Kindle reader at a lower price with the tradeoff that they can push ads and sponsored screensavers to your device.
You can pre-order Kindle with Special Offers (read = ads) for $114 today. … Continue reading