Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Mary of Carmel: My parents left the Church when I was nine. I got involved in sorts of sinful stuff including practicing the occult and new age stuff and did so for over 25 years. Came back to the...
- Lurker 59: One of the things that frustrate me to no end is those in high places, who not content with doing the rather simple job of preaching Christ crucified, decided to opine at ponder...
- Charles E Flynn: The next question Father Z will confront: Is it morally licit to play the numbers of the previously -somewhat- obscure-si nce 1962 maledictor y psalms in my state̵ 7;s lottery?
- Sawyer: Can you imagine what tremendous benefits would have accrued to the Church to have Fr. Rutler as a bishop or even the pope?
- Elizabeth D: Um okay, so we know how you feel about “Mor os” and apparently the same sentiments about Jews?? A Christian cannot have this mentality. Israel is the covenant bride of God;...
- excalibur: OT Heads up, Father Z, you may want to read this. Cardinal Cupich goes after a priest, a man who is a survivor of sexual abuse, including by a priest. Prayers for Father Kalchik. https...
- Matamoros: As I recall, this is the same Card. Müller who railed against Bp. Williamson , refused him to say mass in his diocese and stated that anyone who was against the judaizatio n of the...
- Elizabeth D: Maybe I’m the only person here who owns a printed copy of that document “Gui delines for the pastoral care of the road” ;. I have a Catholic Truth Society edition of...
- richiedel: Fr. MartinR 17;s biblical illiteracy is so glaring, it should disqualify him from having any sense of influence in matters Catholic, let alone Christian. The premise that fasting...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Excerpts from an article posted by Brother Joseph, SFO (Secular Franciscan Order), on his blog, “Sai nt Francis SpeaksR 21; on Jan. 27, 2010 (SaintFran cisSpea...
- TonyO: Malta, I don’ t really think he is pro-homose xualist, so much as against the traditiona l understand ing of sin and moral reality. I don’ t so much think that he believes active...
- MissBee: Father, I really needed to see this. Thank you. I also struggle with memories from my previous life and it’s a difficult penance.
- MrsMacD: And Our Lady of Revelation in Rome. She specifical ly talks about this Pope. Pope Pius XII approved this apparition , it’s an extension of Fatima. There is a great series about her...
- APX: Death really can come out of the blue. I was listening to the Dave Ramsey Show the other day when a guy called In distraught because the week prior his 33 y/o wife died suddenly. She was...
- Jacques: The best place where to hide for Mgr Vigano is in Russia under the personal protection of Vladimir Putin. I hope he is already there: Nobody in the world will be able to find him let alone...
- ex seaxe: Half that document is about the problems of prostitute s (street walkers), street children, and the homeless. And did not Christ say something about being trusted in small things? The...
- Semper Gumby: “Spi ritual situationa l awareness. ” Ok Fr. Z, that’ ;s a keeper. Here’ ;s a few photos from the last few days of the Onslow County and Camp Lejeune area on the...
- roma247: Father Z et. al., please allow me to beg your pardon. Yes, I did think, but obviously my thoughts were muddled by my frustratio n and I went a bridge too far. I do not seek to excuse...
- Thomas: Great article! A sense of humor is crucial in these times!
- JerseyCatholic: As my user name shows I am from New Jersey and have lived here over 40 years. When my oldest was preparing for her first confession , I was stricken with the knowledge that I,...
- Ellen: One of my fellow teachers in RCIA always tells the class that God is a merciful God but He is also just so it behooves us not to do stupid and sinful things and if we do, we need to go to...
- Johann: God bless Father Murray for not being afraid to tell the truth and ask hard questions.
- frjimt: truly, right here in penna̷ 0; we had a brother priest, fr mike, 64, say his prayers, Holy Mass & sat down and died… ; a sudden, but not unprepared , journey 230; it was a...
- quovadis74: Hello Fr. Thompson. What about the use of the Liturgy of the Hours OP by Lay fraternity members? I’m a permanent deacon recently admitted into the Fraternity and I feel compelled to...
- Semper Gumby: Helpful Quaeritur. Amen to Forty Hours Devotion and Leonine Prayers. Suburbanba nshee: Thanks for going medieval with your comments, interestin g. From NLM, “By Nothing but...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
- Bits and pieces
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: Does it make any difference to offer prayers to God?
- Videos and hi-res photos of the Consecration of the Abbey and Abbess of Gower
- UPDATED Mary, Queen of the Clergy holy cards with Daily Prayer for Priests – AVAILABLE!
- Of Friday and festive penitential Pesto fit for a King
- BOOKS RECEIVED: A hard look at Francis in Spanish by Argentinian author
- 14 Sept: 11th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Thank you, Benedict XVI!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: kneeling
From a reader…
I have a few sincere questions and I believe answers to them may help other readers, too.
For years I have heard it said that the “universal norm” for receiving Holy Communion is kneeling and on the tongue. Therefore, even … Continue reading
The other day Bp. Morlino told the priests of the Diocese of Madison that they should encourage their congregations to kneel to receive Holy Communion on the tongue.
This is a wonderful development which will make a great difference in parishes where … Continue reading
At HPR Fr. Regis Scalon, OFM.Cap. has a good piece which might be sent to ever parish priest who seeks to force people not to kneel during Mass.
Here is the introductory section:
Kneeling Ban: Good Liturgy or Loss of Religious Freedom?
Some … Continue reading
From a reader…
Has the rubric requiring priests to genuflect after showing the Eucharistic Species to the people been altered? Did someone get an indult or something so that bowing is now legitimate? I wonder because at our local parish the … Continue reading
From a reader:
Today at mass, our priest told the congregation that the archbishop wanted to emphasize that the people should remain standing after communion until the tabernacle is closed. This is to emphasize the unity of the people. If I … Continue reading
From Fr. Carota’s blog:
I received this text message yesterday (Sunday) from a young man who is a member of “Juventutem” and had to go to Seattle for work. When he went to mass there, this is what happened:
“In the … Continue reading
From a priest (edited):
During my retreat the subject of Communion in the hand while standing came up. We were told that we need to instill reverence. Our Lord is so mistreated today.
One of the priests said there is only so … Continue reading
From a reader:
#1: Some persons make the Sign of the Cross when the priest closes the Act of Penitence (‘May Almighty God have mercy on us . . . ‘), but this is not mentioned in the GIRM. Is it … Continue reading
From a reader:
My 10-year-old son, who daily receives Holy Communion on his tongue while kneeling (and in fact has never received standing) just completed altar server instruction. He was told that when he serves, he must receive standing!!! (for the … Continue reading
From a deacon:
I was reprimanded today for kneeling at the altar during consecration and told there is an insult in the US church against this -I can find no documents that lead me to believe this is true. Any insight … Continue reading
Deacon Greg Kandra has had a bit of a conversion about altar rails. Here is a taste.
Okay. I’ve changed my mind. It’s time to bring back the altar rail.
Hey, I’m as surprised as anyone else that I feel this way.
Two … Continue reading
From a reader:
Father, today I attended a rather liberal parish (the choirmaster was wearing a Nuns on the Bus t-shirt). After the Sanctus, 3/4 of the people began kneeling, while the rest stood. The priest paused from the reading … Continue reading
From a reader:
First, thank you for your internet ministry and your tireless promotion of the liturgical use of Latin.
My parish is being renovated and Mass is temporarily being celebrated in a nearby university chapel. Since the chapel is non-denominational, it … Continue reading
From a reader:
Our new pastor recently published a letter in the bulletin [I’ve cut that out in order to “anonymize” this.] in which he uses the GIRM [General Instruction on the Roman Missal] to argue that those who genuflect before … Continue reading
The great Roman Fabrizio sent me a photo of Marines on Iwo Jima’s Mt. Suribachi at Mass, His commentary follows.
It’s so harrrrd to kneel for Holy Communion, especially if the air-conditioning isn’t working at the “Eucharistic gathering” during the diocesan … Continue reading