Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Unwilling: Post-Enlig htenment thought is fundamenta lly skeptical. First of this or that truth, gradually of anything as truth. The vocable “tru th” has at most a relative value. A...
- L.: This kind of self-immol ating “tea ching̶ 1; that comes from Rome and from my own diocese makes me think of science fiction stories in which a Dr. Frankenste in-type character creates...
- arga: I am confused. Fr. Z writes “Geo rge, as the tale goes, was one of those soldier saints who, when he refused to recant his Christian Faith, was put to death perhaps in AD 303 during the...
- JonPatrick: My oldest son recently received word that his rare form of cancer is in remission and he might be able to stop taking the medication s for it. He is also finishing out an internship in...
- arcillajohn: This Past Sunday I Attended my first Missa Cantata. This was my second encounter with the Tridentine Mass, and I had been longing to attend since I discovered the TLM. Luckily, the...
- raven31: Two of my college roommates happen to live in Omaha and St. Louis, and I recently made plans to visit each of them this summer to attend both the FSSP and ICKSP ordination s in those two...
- LeeGilbert: “Las t week in Los Angeles I visited the great Getty MuseumR 21; This reminds me. . . . This weekend my wife and I made a trip out to Mt. Angel Abbey̵ 7;s bookstore and...
- JeromeThomas: It’s small news in the grand scheme of things, but for the past few weeks I’ve been putting one sentence in lingua Latina from each of the Propers of the Mass (Intro...
- Semper Gumby: Thanks Fr. Z.
- Kathleen10: Yes! Many thanks for any prayers said for my husband recently. His doctor was very concerned he had a serious blood disorder such as myeloma, signs were all there. Blessedly, that was...
- OssaSola: Greetings. I am one of the people who created cards printed with the Apostolic Pardon printed in Latin and English. There is also a piece of Daniel MitsuiR 17;s Four Last Things...
- jaykay: “Tra cer patted the ticket in his pocket. “London in two days, visit friends.” Ahh, I was thinking: yes, classic pre-War overnight train to Paris, a mighty SNCF 4-6-4, perhaps, then...
- tamranthor: Spent the entire weekend with the entire family in a blessed state of grace. The boy served Mass, and did so brilliantl y. The sun shone beautifull y, and we took a drive up to Hatcher...
- Peter Stuart: After some brutal self-infli cted setbacks with SSA, I think I’ve found a confessor whose tough advice will give me a chance to break free if I follow it. No 3-Hail-Mar ys-and...
- thepraypad: Our homilist also went with the Good Shepherd. He talked about same sex couples, transgende r disorder, and the rights of children to know their real/biolo gical parents. He acknowl...
- Herman Joseph: Two bits of good news here I’d like to share, sort of personal, but mostly in a much wider sense. First, my PhD (for which I ask many prayers!) is getting there̵ 1;focus is...
- Joy65: Lafayette (laugh ee yet) Louisiana is the most Catholic American city. Lafayette is the home of our Diocesan office. GEAUX CAJUN CATHOLICS! https://al eteia.org/ 2018/04/17 /surpri...
- beelady: Thirteen months ago my husband, Patrick developed a severe heart problem. His doctor took him off work because he had a high chance of sudden death. We are very thankful to Father Z. And...
- benedetta: An illness I long struggled with went into remission suddenly after much prayer and attempts at healing, last August, and since then I am gaining in strength and direction every day. I...
- Ryan: After a nearly year long battle with vertigo, my wife is finally showing significan t signs of improvemen t. Very big thank you to the readers who prayed for her. Keep them coming though. :)...
- jaykay: Arrangemen ts for our Chapter 217;s Chartres Pilgrimage are progressin g now, when up to quite recently it seemed as though it just wouldnR 17;t happen this year. Deo gratias. I had...
- JesusFreak84: Father preached about the virtue of Temperance and some of its related virtues. He wasn’ ;t graphic about chastity but he wasn’ ;t skirting around it, either, and made clear...
- Lucas: capchoirgi rl: Same here! I went 10 years ago with my parents and it was *amazing*. I can’ t recommend it enough. It’s truly beautiful down there. I’ve been back 3 times...
- Ellen: Father talked about names and how they are powerful. How God knows us all by name and cares for us as a shepherd does his sheep.
- aiello01: The Eucharist is not a substitute for a healthy dose of me’J esus.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Know the truth and the truth will make you … an idolator?
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Knights of Malta
UPDATE 12 April 2018:
This whole thing reminds me of something.
Do any of you remember waaaaay back in the 1980’s when John Paul II removed the head of the Jesuits and replaced him with his own pick Father, later Cardinal, Paolo … Continue reading
According to the Catholic Herald the author of The Dictator Pope (pre-order 23 April – US HERE – UK HERE – more HERE) has been suspended from the Order of Malta and has disassociated itself from the book, describing it as a “vile attack” on … Continue reading
This is interesting. Is someone backing off a little?
From the Sovereign Military Order of the Knights of Malta (SMOM):
The government of the Order of Malta to convene the Council Complete of State on 29 April to elect the successor of … Continue reading
UPDATE: From the SMOM:
Fra’ Ludwig Hoffmann von Rumerstein assumes the office of Lieutenant ad interim, Albrecht Boeselager resumes his office as Grand Chancellor
The Sovereign Council, the government of the Sovereign Order of Malta, met this afternoon in the Magistral Palace … Continue reading
The two smallest nations on earth have squared off: the Vatican City State and the Sovereign Military Order of the Knights of Malta. I understand that San Marino may be readying for its own move.
The often amusing Eye of … Continue reading
At the Spanish site InfoVaticana we read:
ÚLTIMA HORA: Dimite el Gran Maestre de la Orden de Malta a petición del Papa
Según ha podido saber InfoVaticana, el Papa Francisco le habría pedido que presentara la renuncia. Matthew Festing fue elegido príncipe … Continue reading
Perna in Latin means “ham”. There is a street not far from where I am that, from the time of the Caesars, is called Panisperna. That’s where you could buy ham and … etc. Also, that’s where the Panisperna Boys … Continue reading
We all want to know how Card. Burke is doing. From CNA:
Cardinal Burke opens up about his new office with Knights of Malta
By Jan Bentz
Rome, Italy, Nov 29, 2014 / 06:01 am (CNA/EWTN News).- On Nov. 8 the Vatican announced … Continue reading
And so the shoe has dropped. From today’s Bolletino.
Nomina del Patrono del Sovrano Militare Ordine di Malta
Il Santo Padre ha nominato Patrono del Sovrano Militare Ordine di Malta l’Em.mo Card. Raymond Leo Burke, finora Prefetto del Supremo Tribunale della Segnatura … Continue reading