Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Angelo Tan: Relatio – D “Fou rthly, the issue of the liturgy found a good deal of resonance with our group. On the one hand, we acknowledg e that for many young people, in various parts...
- UncleBlobb: God bless you, Father. Have a great time. Memories of 2014 with you. Thank you.
- Spinmamma: Thank you for rememberin g us. I, for one, am truly in need of your prayers and am very grateful.
- Semper Gumby: My guess is that Birra Nursia would go great with Chick-fil- A.
- Semper Gumby: A fraction of the unhinged Left are taking occult things up a notch by reviving the Greco-Roma n Curse Tablets, worship of Hecate, and the Greek Magical Papyri. A few, er, how-to...
- Semper Gumby: In the wondrous, magical, socialist utopia of the Left no woman need ever fear again a nine-year old boy. Unicorns will parade through the streets and the clouds will be made of...
- dholwell: Pray the Rosary that the Holy Spirit will guide Pope Francis. And pray to Saint Michael the Archangel to defend us in battle.
- Semper Gumby: An “inc reasingly liquid paradigm of religiosit y”? That sounds not like a Synod document but a late night meeting of the minds in a college dormitory after a kegger....
- Semper Gumby: Interestin g. The difference s between these two Illinois bishops raises a random thought. In a Canticle-f or-Liebowi tz world, where the few survivors are huddled around a campf...
- Semper Gumby: Andrew: I second jaykay. God bless the Benedict XVI Institute and the San Quentin Choir.
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Viganò uses the phrase “Sal vation of Souls̶ 1; more in this document than I have heard Francis use in his entire pontificat e. Something to consider.
- Q7: How refreshing in this whole sordid business to see the genuine charitable priority Archbishop Vigano has consistent ly given (at great personal peril) to all the ***souls** * involved here —...
- ps23: Vigano! Singlehand edly trying to stop this pope from paving the highway to hell.
- SanSan: Silence = Death
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: As a homebrewer , I warmly approve of their beer. I intend to become a subscriber after the new year.
- cwillia1: Consider an all male hierarchic al organizati on that requires perpetual sexual continence of its members and treats same sex attraction s as seriously disordered . It is obvious that...
- Bellarmino Vianney: “How ever, I know for a fact that homosexual s and mafiosi and all manner of dangerous actors run together, for their interests overlap. 8221; This is likely also the...
- HvonBlumenthal: Abp Vigano makes an important point about why it is specifical ly a problem of homosexual ity. Heterosexu al “0hilander ers” do not organise to recruit other philandere rs or create...
- maternalView: Thanks for the PDF. I’m sharing it. It’s helpful to have all that in one handy booklet.
- PostCatholic: I’ve always wondered about that carnival game where the impossible talk is to catch a greased pig, how do they grease the pigs in the first place? Now we know. Fascinatin g to...
- bigtex: “Again, Viganò has uncovered the root of The Present Crisis: homosexual s and homosexual predation – with the sodocleric alism that results.” No, the root of the crisis started a century...
- John Nelson: The Cannons of St John Cantius also have their 2019 Ordo available. You can order it from their bookstore, Biretta Books, at https://ww w.birettab ooks.com. Also FSSP has theirs...
- maternalView: Yes, there are many good apostolate s that operate with a tight budget and trust in God’ s blessings. We need to support them! I don’ t even like beer but I̵...
- maternalView: This was an excellent letter. Pray for him.
- PanOrganista: Dear Vincent, I don’ t know if you will read this, but I hope that you do. I know EXACTLY how you feel, because I am carrying the same cross; and there are days when I wonder...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- The reports of the various language circles of the Synod (“walking together”) are out.
- Romeward Bound for Summorum Pontificum 2018 and Masses for Benefactors
- WDTPRS – 29th Ordinary Sunday: Pregnancy and Glory
- Liturgical Ordo for the upcoming liturgical year, 2019.
- Terrific Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Yes, great things are also going on and YOU can participate.
- #ViganoTestimony 3.0! Powerful response to accusations, points to crisis of homosexuality #sodoclericalism
- The massive, glaring, screaming lacuna in #Synod2018
- Requests for GREGORIAN MASSES and priests who can say them
- WHAT IS THAT? Francis wearing rainbow colored Cross.
- 23 October: Bp. Egan of @PortsmouthRC calls for Masses of Reparation
- Eugenics in our recent past
- Some good news from Montana, a laugh, and some reactions to Paul VI canonization
- 16 October 1978: Election of John Paul II – 40 YEARS!
- Archbp. Chaput interviewed by The Pill – #sodoclericalism
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Latin
From a reader…
Is there an official Latin version of the Oratio Fatimae? I have seen different ones online and a fair amount of ambivalence about which to use. Keeping with St Thomas More, it seems to me that a prayer … Continue reading
From a reader…
I read in a couple obscure places that the literal translation of Amoris Laetitia (which was originally in Latin) is something along the lines of “the Exuberance of Lust”, based on common usage of the Latin words. Is … Continue reading
VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
Some various notes.
Today I received the PDF of a booklet made for Sacred Heart parish in Grand Rapids, MI (the city in which you find the HQ of ACTON INSTITUTE). This is what one parish is doing to respond … Continue reading
Under another post, about recitation of the Rosary during October, the prayer Sub tuum praesidium and the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel – HERE – a commentator wrote:
Given that malevolent spirits find Latin disagreeable, can anyone here point to … Continue reading
You have to wonder who is running things.
Some of you of a certain age will remember going to the circus and seeing the classic clown car. A tiny car would zoom out into the light and an impossible, Newtonian physics … Continue reading
From a reader…
Thank you for the delightful and edifying omnibus that is your blog. It is my understanding that Pope St. John XXIII or his delegate created a syllabus of works to be read when studying Latin. Do you have … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
From a reader…
The reformed Rite of Penance added a whole bunch of stuff to the rite of confession—optional Scripture readings and so on—but I have never seen any of it used, even non-optional parts like how the priest should supposedly … Continue reading
Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
At Rorate there is a post especially for priests about the proper and improper use of the exorcism prayers in the older Rituale Romanum. It’s a good service.
After providing images of a 2009 letter from the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” with … Continue reading
My old Latin mentor, Fr. Reginald Foster, was featured in a spot on CBS:
I first met and studied with Foster in the mid-80s and then spent years in his 5th Level thereafter.
Foster has a book about his method. Not easy … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: Are blessings, holy water, etc., less effective if Latin isn’t used? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
From a reader… who picked up on something I wrote about blessings and holy water in the traditional form compared to the new, post-Conciliar form… HERE
“The exorcisms of the salt and water are to be done in Latin.”
Father, how essential … Continue reading
You all know that I tend to bang on about Latin in our sacred liturgical worship.
Most of us belong to the Roman Catholic, Latin Church. The Latin Church.
Never using or hearing our language of prayer and teaching affects (defects) our … Continue reading
How many times in these electronic pages have I lamented the blatant disobedience in regard to can. 249?
I remind the readership, especially those readers who are diocesan bishops, that the Code of Canon Law, can. 249, requires – it doesn’t suggest … Continue reading
Just too cool.
When I was in Rome for the Summorum Pontificum 10th Anniversary Pilgrimage, a great time, I said Mass at the Priest-Friendliest Church in Rome™, Ss. Trinità dei Pellegrini. In the sacristy there are preserved their niches with kneelers, … Continue reading
Now that some of the technical stuff has been updated, let’s get back at it.
From a reader…
I’m wondering if either you and/or your readership know of any good resources to start teaching Classical Latin to a 4 y/o? My nephew … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, I recently saw “eundem” in a misallette. My missal uses “eumdem.” I was wondering if these are different cases of the same word (like German den/dem) or if they are just different spellings of the word (or … Continue reading