Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- MaryM096: Thank you for this much needed posting, Father Z. It’s something all of us need to be reminded of.
- Charles E Flynn: Bruno Lanteri
- Rob83: The occasion of the third temptation of Jesus led to a not so subtle dig aimed at a certain Jesuit priest who has often been mentioned here, as well as unnamed German and Austrian bishops...
- LeeGilbert: The sermon last evening at 5:30 was so good that I went to 7:00 Mass this morning to take notes. Fr. Dillard indicated that he was basing his homily on a book on Lent by Bishop Morne...
- Semper Gumby: Well this was quite a spectacle, I’m glad I made popcorn. One Mad Mom steps into the Squared Circle with BuzzFeed and pile-drive s them into oblivion. My guess is that One Mad...
- Josephus Corvus: Never having been to a Pontifical Requiem and looking at the photos on a small screen, I have a dumb question. In the first picture of the Kyrie, are the priests sitting on the...
- mikeinmo: Father spoke about the need for repentance for all of us, including himself. We all need to cast aside those things that separate us from God in any way. We had some traditiona l additi...
- Prayerful: A young priest in Our Lady of the Rosary chapel, Cork, preached on the reality of the devil, that not been able to see him makes him no less real. And at times, as when Satan scorc...
- Michael Haz: Today̵ 7;s sermon was delivered by Bishop Athanasuis Schneider, who celebrated a beautiful and moving Pontifical High Mass at our Oratory. Bishop Schneider reminded us of the need...
- David: I spent the evening recently with three young priest friends, all of them graduates of elite secular colleges before entering the seminary, and all having studied in Rome at some point, one...
- Adaquano: Our pastor reflected on how we should focus on our Baptismal promises during Lent, in particular we should be convicted in admitting that we fail to live according to our Baptis...
- Josephus Corvus: “Let us pray the Our Father that we are not led into temptation as Jesus was.” ; Father wasn’ ;t referring to anything other than the today̵ 7;s gospel reading...
- Mike: Our Lenten practice should be to seek liberation from the need to be in control and instead to accept the sufficienc y of God’ s grace.
- Stat crux dum volvitur orbis: I grew up in a communist country. And I see how Vatican rapprochem ent with communist regime resonates within the society 30 years later . Non-Cathol ics: “...
- Semper Gumby: Viva Cristo Rey! Great Wilderness Altar, relic, and movie. If I recall, some priests took up arms, and the Feminine (not feminist) Brigades performed critical tasks of smuggl...
- Semper Gumby: acardnal: Good point about access control. Lee Gilbert: Good point about violent and twisted video games, movies, music, and books. A colleague remarked recently that even Scholas...
- Oliverian: In reading your excerpts from VS, and your commentary , I was at several points reminded of something I read not long ago : “Hav e you yet resisted temptation to the point of the...
- clare joseph: I am so very happy to read these posts, first Father Z.’s , then yours. I came into the Catholic Church as an adult while living in Manhattan – a great place to be Catho...
- ex seaxe: I am still wanting to understand how the Orthodox churches can have developed a different approach. This is difficult because there is no single central agreement among them. However, it...
- HvonBlumenthal: Father, you have so far not given your take on the Chinese situation, and it would be extremely useful to have your ever reasonable thoughts. As an utterly unreasonab le traditi...
- JARay: There is little doubt that “The Bard” ; had a wonderful way with words BUT he knew the foibles and failings of humanity better than most and could put them into words with clear...
- Jenson71: My comment was more general than Chinese relations, following the general criticism of the commentato rs on EWTN to the idea of the Church transcendi ng “the clash.” But specifical ly to...
- stephen c: People should have a way to know if local crazy people are threatenin g , on the internet, to go on a local rampage. There is no easy was, right now, to log in to Facebook or Google and...
- HighMass: The Church is in deep need of Prayer, and another St JPII & Pope Benedict XVI. So much confusion in the Church today Blessed Mother Pray for Us
- APX: if I could be so bold as to ask you and your outstandin g readership base to please pray for us and all Law Enforcemen t at this time. Yes! Please! I recently lost a family member who was a...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
- Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
- ASK FATHER: Why can lay people read at Mass?
- ASK FATHER: When should babies be baptized?
- OLYMPICS 2018 12 Feb: CURLING!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: @DouthatNYT on state the Church under Francis (terrific) – John Rist in Reading Augustine series (a scream)
- Benedict XVI’s resignation 5 years on. Your thoughts.
- Carmelite Nuns seeking Priest Chaplain
- JUST TOO COOL! Wherein Fr. Z is AMAZED at … coincidences? I think not.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: liberals
ASK FATHER: Corruption, sodomy, drugs, infidelity… How can we trust anything from Rome? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Feedback from a reader…
In a recent post, you respond to a question about the distress that is caused by the latest homosexual scandal in the Vatican. You pointed out that the enemy will attack, “in particular,” those who have influence over others. Among … Continue reading
Last night on FNC Tucker Carlson had an exemplary guest. It is hard to find a purer ideologue, deeper into Leftist tactics than this one. Watch this for a lesson in what we will see increase as the Left gets … Continue reading
At the online site of the excellent Regina magazine there is a good piece about the rock and the hard place, the Scylla and Charybdis, the fire and the frying pan, the deep blue sea and the devil, betwixt which … Continue reading
In June and into July, many newly ordained priests have reported to their first assignment as associate or assistant (as my old pastor used to say, “The first three letters are the same”). These days we hear often the … Continue reading
At The Catholic Thing there is a piece that you should review. It explains some of the dark, actually evil, underpinnings of progressivism – the “liberal” agenda.
Progressivism’s Dark Side
[T]he modern Progressive movement has been dominated by a self-anointed elite, like … Continue reading
From the amusing folks at Lutheran Satire:
I have a love/hate relationship with Camille Paglia. I love her writing style an enjoy her stark commentary. Meanwhile, I hope and pray that she will come to senses about God.
Right now at Salon she had a piece in which … Continue reading
Okay… this is going to be hard.
From a seminarian:
I am currently a ___ year seminarian attending ___ .
antecently, a new ‘policy’ was adopted here: all must receive Holy Communion standing.
The Holy See has made it absolutely clear that we all have the right to receive the … Continue reading
At the conclusion of the CDF investigation of the LCWR, it is interesting to watch the conga line dance threading its delirious way through the liberal catholic MSM led by Fishwrap‘s Tom Fox, AP‘s (not catholic, but liberal) Nicole Winfield and Rachel Zoll, Commonweal‘s … Continue reading
Take a look at Truth Revolt (where there is a transcript of the following). The Left won’t like this:
Last night I watched the BBC (on demand) coverage of the Remembrance Sunday ceremonies in London. No one does ceremony and music like the British.
The sober ceremony, with its essentially unchanging script, got me thinking about the need we human … Continue reading
Marco Tosatti, an Italian journalist whom I have always liked and for whom I have even greater respect now than before, has a piece at La Stampa which bears attention. What really caught my eye was his quotation at the … Continue reading
ISIS has its secularized counterparts in these USA.
DYER COUNTY, TN –
(WMC) – A young girl, who claims she was standing up for her religious beliefs in the classroom, was suspended after breaking a class rule of saying “bless you” … Continue reading
The Synod on the Family will start in October. Already the dissidents at the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) are whining. They have twigged to the fact that they are not going to get what they want.
Today there … Continue reading
A few days back the Vicar of Christ, Pope Francis, gave an interview to Il Messaggero.
There wasn’t much of interest in it. The Pope is becoming a little bit more careful, it seems. Rush Limbaugh and Michael Sean Winters were … Continue reading
I found this via Pewsitter – they are doing a great job – from CatholicJournalUS:
Francis and the Media: A Doomed Romance
by Thomas Addis
The Lenten season is an excellent time for confessions, so here goes: Bless me, Father, for I have … Continue reading
I have been harping on this for a while: the Left will turn on Francis one day.
From Rush Limbaugh’s stack of stuff. He was on the air yesterday. Here is the transcript. My legendary emphases and comments.
End of Left’s Honeymoon with Pope … Continue reading
From The Catholic League about an attack on Pope Francis by the emboldened catholic Left.
Remember, the liberals think they have the big right now. They are hiding behind support for Francis because they hoped that he would approve their homosexual relationships and … Continue reading