Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Suburbanbanshee: The SAT test of today is a lot easier than the old ones, although poorly asked questions do introduce a degree of difficulty . But any SAT should be easy it you read a lot, know...
- TonyO: The whole idea of a mass with upwards of 40,000 (in some cases, upwards of 200,000) people is problemati c in the extreme. At a certain point the distance, and the intervenin g space /...
- majuscule: Why not stress a spiritual communion at the mega Masses? How many people even know what spiritual communion is? It would be a good educationa l opportunit y!
- tamranthor: My son was always drawn to the statues of the three children and the lambs that stand in the courtyard at the (now horrible) Church in Waunakee. He absolutely loved them when he was a...
- David L Alexander: “At one point you would think that someone, looking out at the much smaller than anticipate d crowd, would have said, ‘Gee . Maybe we should remove some of these...
- Akita: Thank you for these beautiful, multifacet ed, edifying little Lenten “gift packets”. Love the history. Loved learning about St Sebastian, St Monica. Makes it easy to envision their human...
- Kathleen10: Thank you so much to one and all for these great recommenda tions. I have jotted them all down. I work with children, and the other day we read together Old Mother Hubbard. None of the...
- Mary Jane: I wanted to give some words of encouragem ent for HeatherPA. :) I’m a homeschool graduate (I’m in my early 30s now). After graduating , I went on to earn a Bachelor of...
- Mary Jane: Uh yeah no. If the logistics of the location/s eating/etc are such that communion can’ t distribute d with reverence, I say no.
- frjim4321: The “sac ristanR 21; for a neighborin g “par ish picnic mass” ; was found to have several hundred consecrate d host in her freezer that she was going to save for the...
- frjimt: Brings tears to my eyes.. There is hope! Our Lady of Pillar pray for us!
- Titus: Just say no to the distributi on of Holy Communion to the congregati on at such events. I will say, to the credit of those involved, that when I was at the Pope’ ;s Easter morning Mass...
- JonathanTX: I second the question by APX above: why volunteer that it would be an EF Mass? Does the host church need to know that for a practical or logistical reason? As a layman, I̵...
- Nathan: Since the Novus Ordo is changeable , why wouldnR 17;t a provision in the GIRM allowing Papal Masses to be celebrated without the distributi on of Holy Communion be feasible? Wasn...
- robtbrown: FrJim4321, I don’ t pretend to know each personR 17;s malady. I do, however, know what the celebrants said, and it went so far as to include almost everyone, even to the point...
- David: Hopelessly low rent, many would say, but I would indeed recommend the Hardy Boys series, but only the originals, not the re-written PC ones. I learned from them a very long time ago what it...
- David: Another sad fact is that these people are not, I think, theologica lly sophistica ted enough to have an intellectu al position that could explain their behavior. All they are going on is...
- David: I am reminded of another Cardinal Ottaviani story (I have many). He once attended a Eucharisti c Congress where giant crowds received Communion. His comment: “I can’ t believe...
- LarryW2LJ: As Inigo Montoya would say: “Par adigm shift? You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.̶ 1;
- Semper Gumby: Great article by Fr. Longenecke r, a methodical and solid correction of Fr. Martin. God willing, Fr. Martin will accept at least some of the correction . Thought I’d mention...
- richiedel: I would like to tell Cdl. Cupich the following: The world teaches families to do what feels good and to be accepting of family members who do things you may not agree with, then, when...
- adriennep: HeatherPA, I feel your pain, as I’m also a rural Catholic desirous of a classical education. But rejoice, there are options now. Not only can you get a great classical education online...
- JabbaPapa: The Catholicit y is not a “par adigm̶ 1; — I also think that those who are over-using this word in recent times are mis-using it from a lack of understand ing of what it...
- Fr. Lovell: I was ordained a priest just six weeks prior to the release of “Summorum Pontificum .” I mention this because from the very beginning I have experience d the joy of the EF as well as...
- Kathleen10: Heh, just wait til Vatican II gets beatified along with Paul VI. They’ ;re making it all but illegal, and if they can make it illegal, they will. Their intentions are perfec...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: magisterium of nuns
I’ve just learned via RNS that the NUNS ON THE BUS are back!
Nuns really get around these days. They are also being summoned to Rome for chats. But I digress.
Nuns on the bus will ride to political conventions
(RNS) Disturbed by … Continue reading
More hand-wringing at Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter) over another summons of US nuns to Rome for a chat. They can join the Loretto Sisters, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, the line is getting longer.
Sisters of Mercy also being asked … Continue reading
As the number of leaders of groups of US women religious being summoned to Rome has been growing, an expert on the status quaesitionis of the same US groups, Ann Carey, offers some insights in the form of a dialogue. You all … Continue reading
UPDATE 15 Oct:
I received this from a trustworthy priest:
I saw your post on the Mar del Plata cathedral assault. Quite frightening demonstration and disappointing response from the rector.
However, the whole event may be more complicated than it seems from the … Continue reading
Sr. Jeannine Gramick has signed a letter to Pres. Obama asking that abortion be expanded throughout the world. PDF of the letter HERE. Guardian story HERE.
Sr. Gramick is, as you may recall, one of those immortalized in my post NUNS GONE … Continue reading
I have written now a couple times about the whacky fringe group of nuns, NCAN, led by the pro-abortion Sinsinawa Dominican Sr. Donna Quinn. HERE and HERE
Now I see at the National Catholic Register that Anne Carey, whose book I have … Continue reading
I’ll bet that some of you younger readers don’t know who the Viet Cong were and what they did.
They started as a tiny groups or cadres of committed Communists, insurgents, in the south of Vietnam, after the end of the … Continue reading
How tiny liberal loon crank groups provide cover and distraction for larger, more dangerous initiatives.
In Religion Dispatches which is associated with USC, Patricia Miller opines.
Who is Patricia Miller? She is described on the page:
Patricia Miller is the author of Good Catholics: The Battle Over Abortion in the Catholic Church. She has written extensively about … Continue reading
One of the stranger groups of women religious who belong to the LCWR crowd are the Sinsinawa Domincans, whose motherhouse is in southern Wisconsin, in the Diocese of Madison.
You might review my post NUNS GONE WILD for a glimpse of … Continue reading
The LCWR breaks silence for a post-assembly press release. They rejected me, but I’ll share this anyway. My emphases and comments:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Leadership Conference of Women Religious Assembly Explores the Needs of the Global Community
[Orlando, FL] At the annual assembly of … Continue reading
I’ve been thinking about the LCWR meeting, which – sadly – is in its final hours. (Have I mentioned that they rejected me?)
What greater sign that the CDF take-over is really working, and that it is game over for the … Continue reading
The inimitable Sr. Maureen Fiedler has taken it upon her broad shoulder to be spokesone for the LCWR.
We know that a past mentor of the LCWR is annoyed that Archbp. Sartain (appointed by the CDF to keep his eyes on … Continue reading
The nuns aren’t happy.
That is to say the LCWR nuns aren’t happy. All the traditional sisters are happy.
It seems that the LCWR’s Vatican Overlord is going to attend the whole of the LCWR meeting at the swanky Royale Caribe hotel … Continue reading
Sr. Kane (of “NUNS GONE WILD” fame) on Pope Francis’ feelings. Wherein Fr. Z rants and has some fun.
First, take a look HERE. This is where the Holy See posted the transcript of Pope Francis’ chat with newsies on the flight back to Rome from Rio. From what I can tell, it is the whole thing and in … Continue reading
From Seattle Times. Here is how the secular press views the bone-head BS stupid move of the Catholic Health Ass.
When you hear the words Catholic Health Association you should start thinking:
And now the news:
Catholic hospitals accept birth control compromise
In a … Continue reading
I missed this the other day. On review, it is important enough to post about.
Over at Fishwrap, the National Schismatic Reporter, there is an interview with the head of the LCWR, Sr. Florence Deacon, from 7 May, while she was … Continue reading
Here is something that I never thought I would write.
Fr. Z kudos to Jamie Manson of the National Schismatic Reporter.
One of Fishwrap‘s headliners, a darling of LCWR, the openly-lesbian, Margaret Farley-mentored Jamie Manson has sobered up about Pope Francis.
She has … Continue reading