Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Father, various commenters have expressed Rite specific norms. What is normative, by Rite, for the Deacon?
- Ave Crux: Its rather astounding . That’ ;s not a simple dance by any means and they’ ;re all in perfect unison. I found it amazing. If the Faith could but harness the fervor and enthusi...
- Blackfriar: I like to see dalmatics worn, and would encourage them in the ordinary form. However, readers should be aware that in the extraordin ary form of the Dominican Rite – and perhaps...
- Quanah: “Glo ria has to do with man’s recognitio n of God as God. Gloria is a characteri stic of God which He will share with us so as to transform us throughout eternity.& #8221; What a...
- Suburbanbanshee: (I think the reason you always see Victorian people exercising in white clothes is that you could bleach white clothes more easily. Of course, maybe they wore other colors when...
- Suburbanbanshee: First off, nobody should be doing anything in the sanctuary that involves exercises. Obviously. Second, all that hatha yoga stuff is actually something that late 19th and early...
- mcferran: A response based upon liturgical law might be more helpful. The GIRM states (338 Canada): “The vestment proper to the Deacon is the dalmatic, worn over the alb and stole; howev...
- tho: In my lifetime, the Host, and any altar cloth, or for that matter anything material or human that touched the Host, without consecrate d hands, had to be scrubbed by a priest, who was the only...
- robtbrown: In the above comment “def initive 221; is a Latin adverb meaning definitive ly.
- robtbrown: Addendum: Acc. to Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s explanatio n, the Infallibil ity of Ordinatio Sacerdotal is lies in its status within the Ordinary Universal Magisteriu m. As I noted above,...
- Fr_Sotelo: Just when I think I’ve read it all, seen it all. Telling the deacon not to wear the dalmatic? I think the deacons look great in the dalmatic!
- ThePapalCount: It seems that many priests are apprehensi ve about having deacons around. I know of a priest who refused to allow a deacon to preach for over a year, despite the fact that the deacon...
- AndyMo: “In the Third Millennium , the argument from authority is no longer sufficient . There are too many educated Catholics. ” First of all, chronologi cal snobbery is hardly more...
- frjim4321: Very clever idea. The public school where we have our religious ed classes has something a little simpler on the door jambs; a metal plate; I not sure how it works. I would also like to...
- TonyO: Pretty nice invention. Good job, Justin. Of course, it does have limitation s. First, it depends on making base plates that match with the specific door jamb and wall location, so it cannot...
- clarinetist04: There certainly are politics at play, no doubt, but to cast Msgr. Rossi as not allowing the EF in “his ShrineR 21; is unfair at best. They have the EF mass every week, the...
- Grateful to be Catholic: These poor deluded women are the victims of clericalis m. They think it’s about power and so do the men who enable them. As someone else says, sad.
- clare joseph: Thank you, Emilio III, for clarifying all this so well. It’s a joy to see so many young people dancing so beautifull y in honor of Our Lady.
- HvonBlumenthal: Nobody reads Revelation these days but it is clear that in the Heavenly liturgy depicted there the 24 Elders do not just kneel in the presence of the Lamb, they prostrate themsel...
- HvonBlumenthal: Your four categories cover it brilliantl y. Even Anglicans receive their « host » « meekly kneeling on their knees » according to the Book of Commin Prayer. And though they genera...
- APX: acardinal, I can’ t speak for the US, but at my former high school (and other high schools I’m told from my mom when she goes in to sub teach at them) it has become a joke. Home...
- Suburbanbanshee: Fr. Jim — As a woman, I find your remarks insulting. Why should women abandon their unique roles and importance , in favor of becoming exactly like men? Do you think that we...
- JabbaPapa: Well said robtbrown — it might be worth adding that the Eastern spiritual teachers themselves also denounce this westernise d “spi ritual yoga” ; as being a perver...
- JustaSinner: As a former Marine Drill Instructor once said at OCS, “Thi s s@$t is getting real!̶ 1; With that in mind, I know Jesus has asked me to turn the other cheek to my enemies, but...
- JabbaPapa: frjim4321 : I know the reasons, as stated, and I don’t find them convincing . Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. In FACT Pope Saint John Paul II...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2018 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: Saved in hope
- ASK FATHER: Priest forbids a deacon to wear a dalmatic
- LENTCAzT 2018 11 – Ember Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: Man’s first full day was a day of rest
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: March for Life
LifeSite has posted the text of Pres. Trump’s address to the March for Life.
The March for Life is a movement born out of love: you love your families; you love your neighbors; you love our nation; and you love every … Continue reading
Today before the rally on the mall we grabbed some sandwiches at a nearby cafe and headed out.
We parked ourselves near the speakers stand, but also near to a flag from my native place.
It was great to hear Pres. … Continue reading
It is a whirlwind jump to DC, but one of my main reasons for coming this year was also to see the exhibition of Vermeer and other Dutch genre painters at the National Gallery. It did not disappoint.
His paintings … Continue reading
I’m off to the nation’s capital, where at least one good thing will be accomplished on Friday: the 2018 March For Life.
Among other events, I will probably attend the TLM at St. Mary’s and the customary meet up afterward across … Continue reading
If you are going to be in the Washington DC area at the time of the March for Life, remember that there is an annual TLM at Old St. Mary’s.
Saint Mary Mother of God Catholic Church
Friday 19 January 2018
4:00 … Continue reading
CNA reports that those who participate in the March For Life in Washington DC can gain a plenary indulgence.
Participating in the March for Life? There’s an indulgence for that.
Washington D.C., Jan 7, 2018 / 04:01 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Catholics participating … Continue reading
By now we have all heard about the March For Life pilgrims in the snow, the buses in the snow, the Masses in the snow, etc.
Here is an interesting article at Catholic Pop:
Stranded Pro-Life Group Holds Sung Ad Orientem High Mass … Continue reading
I received an amusing note (and various SMS) from a friend in KC whose daughter is stuck on a bus in the snow after the March for Life. A priest on the bus said Mass. Here is a photo… grainy … Continue reading
It was a beautiful day in the nations capital. It couldn’t have been better for the March.
After the March today we had a wonderful Pontifical Mass at the faldstool with Bp. Paprocki. I don’t have photos yet, but I am … Continue reading
I know, I know.
If it weren’t for the fact that the great people at Paulus institute organized the Pontifical Mass tomorrow (I’m on the crew), and if it weren’t such a good cause, I’d be back at the Steam Pipe … Continue reading
From Fr. George Rutler’s “pastor’s page” for 11 January.
There was a theologian who, when discouraged, would keep repeating to himself, “I have been baptized.” Since the Prince of Lies has discouragement as his chief strategy and purpose, the Rite of … Continue reading
On Thursday, 22 January in Washington DC, at 4:00 PM, after the March For Life, there will be a Pontifical Mass at the Faldstool celebrated by His Excellency Most Reverend Thomas John Paprocki, Bishop of Springfield in Illinois.
Mass is scheduled … Continue reading
You may recall that a few years ago The Paulus Institute sponsored a magnificent Pontifical Mass at the Throne in the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC. Bp. Slattery of Tulsa was the celebrant for the Mass, which … Continue reading
First Things, which has revamped its site (check it out), has a good piece today about
EIGHT LIES IN PRESIDENT OBAMA’S ROE STATEMENT
by Matthew Schmitz
President Obama issued a statement today to mark the forty-first anniversary of Roe v. Wade. A mere paragraph … Continue reading
Are any of you going to Washington DC for the March for Life?
Did you see this?
Vatican City, May 13, 2013 / 08:25 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Pro-lifers who had just finished the third annual Italian March for Life on Sunday were surprised to see Pope Francis coming toward them in the popemobile.
“It … Continue reading
I am looking for March for Life photos of the banners and contingents from the Fishwrap (National catholic Reporter), the Catholic Health Association, the Nuns on the Bus, the Leadership Conference of Women Religious.