Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- exNOAAman: “No coincidenc es”; OLoF statue; scapular,. This guy’ s a politician ? I’m impressed.
- Ave Maria: The TLM is for all! And I believe it is our future.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
- Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- Disturbing short film “The Confession” that somehow won Catholic award
- Father’s Day gift idea – from the “hearts”
- PHILIPPINES: To arm priests or not to arm?
- ASK FATHER: What does the comma really say?
- The Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- A “puzzled” and “surprise” Card. Kasper is “furious”
- Fulton Sheen’s body to return to his native Diocese of Peoria
- Who are the real Neo-Gnostics?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Mars Rover
Poor little Spirit isn’t working anymore (so far as we know), but this is how he got there!
This is simply too cool.
Every once in a while, we find something from antiquity that we knew about but thought lost.
Check this out, from Gazzetta del Sud. Dorothy King’s PhDiva has a lot of photos. With a biretta tip to rougeclassicism. … Continue reading
First, The Huygens probe has landed on Saturn’s moon, Titan.
There is a description and animation of how it hit the surface and then bounced, slid and wobbled into its resting position. HERE. Huygens was ferried to Titan by the Cassini … Continue reading
Okay… I don’t think Curiosity is going to have a lot of competition for the mayorship.
Curiosity has a Foursquare account.
Here is something for your Just Too Cool file. This got my attention not only because it deals with Curiosity, but also because of my budding interest in ham radio.
The newest Mars Rover, Curiosity, is tagging Mars… with Morse Code.
Curiosity … Continue reading
And it ain’t Marvin the Martian.
First, here is a very cool hi-def telephoto shot taken by Curiosity, the newest of the Mars rovers.
The image of nearby Mt. Sharp was taken with a 100-millimeter telephoto lens and the 34-milllimeter wide angle … Continue reading
The other day I was pretty excited about the safe landing of the new Mars rover Curiosity. The dangerous entry and landing built a real excitement. Then the first images came in. Very cool.
Now that Curiosity has been on the … Continue reading
I plan to watch the live stream of the Curiosity landing tonight.
If you haven’t seen it yet, here is a video from the JPL about the terrifying landing stage:
From the JPL:
Mars Tugging on Approaching NASA Rover Curiosity
August 04, 2012
PASADENA, Calif. – The gravitational tug of Mars is now pulling NASA’s car-size geochemistry laboratory, Curiosity, in for a suspenseful landing in less than 40 hours. [About 35 as I … Continue reading
From poor little Spirit’s twin, Opportunity, comes this panoramic view. HERE.
It is stitched together from 817 images taken between 12 Dec 2011 and 8 May 2012 while Opportunity was stationed on an outcrop called “Greeley Haven” during the Martian winter.
According … Continue reading
After posting about the Seven Minutes of Terror, I was curious about Curiosity, the newest Mars Rover heading to the Red Planet.
Intrepid little Spirit isn’t working any more, since it became mired and died. Opportunity is working, but depends on … Continue reading
Those of you who have been reading here for a long while know of my admiration for poor little Spirit. Opportunity keeps rolling, of course. But …
Curiosity is coming.
And when I mean “Seven Minutes of Terror”, I don’t mean what … Continue reading
The intreprid little Mars rover Spirit, which began its mission in 2004 died, mired in sand, in 2009. It couldn’t capture enough sunlight to power up.
Spirit’s twin Opportunity is still going strong!
The orbiting Phoenix, circling Mars since 2006, recently … Continue reading
We’ve lost poor Spirit, but intrepid little Opportunity keeps motoring along.
NASA reports that Opportunity has after a 3 year portion of its already 8 year anabasis has crawled up to Endeavour crater, 14 miles in diameter. We should be able … Continue reading
Sad news from NASA:
NASA Concludes Attempts to Contact Mars Rover Spirit
The full version of this story with accompanying images is HERE.
PASADENA, Calif. — NASA is ending attempts to regain contact with the long-lived Mars Exploration Rover Spirit, which last communicated … Continue reading