Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- maternalView: Fr. Kalchik is an abuse survivor. Surely the Cardinal could show a little more mercy and accompanim ent than that! So the takeaway is the Cardinal ISN’ T on the side of abuse...
- Rob83: Sometimes there is a palpable sense that something is not right. I had that experience in Rome one night many years ago. A man approached , grasped the cup I was holding, said a few words I...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Being put in a mental institutio n was a routine punishment in the Soviet Union.
- hwriggles4: I am one guy who is growing tired of “the making gay OK agenda. ” That said, I for one am going to be on the lookout for Male same sex couples (no, not roommates –...
- Bthompson: Not as novel as you might think. Psych evaluation /treatment and the threat thereof are a moderately common kudgel wielded against seminarian s, priests, religious. (Now, not all such...
- ArthurH: If this psych action is in any way true, this whole affair becomes yet another surreal Orwellian momentR 11; a nightmare from which we seem unable to awaken. It seems the stuff of a bad...
- MrsMacD: @Fr Sean Coyle THAT story has been a real joy. Thank you for that! Chuckle. Chuckle. Thank you!
- MrsMacD: but they don’ t have time to deal with the ‘sod oclericali sm’ in the Church, because there is plastic in the ocean̷ 0; right. Sounds like gas-lighti ng to me.
- Fr. Reader: @MrsMacD. Thanks for the message. I hope it is not as bad as many people say.
- MrsMacD: @Fr. Reader I can not understand how you can defend something so obviously evil. We can not have the Communist government in China choose even one bishop. Their law is government first; a...
- KateD: Bishop Bartosic also evicted the resident priest unlawfully ? I can’ t imagine that Chicago would allow that under their landlord-t enant laws. Sounds like he has also, unfortunat ely...
- Fr. Reader: In spite of what I wrote above, I also share the fears expressed by many in their comments.
- Fr. Reader: @what did the Vatican obtain? Among other things, not to obligue many catholics, priests and laypeople to keep their conscience s in a perpetual and very difficult equilibriu m. Many...
- richdel: If the provenance of the documents related to this synod are anything like that of the documents associated with the synod on the family, I am hoping and praying that bishops are going to...
- KateD: Seems to me Father Paul Kalchick is neither a threat to himself nor others, therefore he cannot be forcefully detained in a mental institutio n. Priest or not, Father Kalchick 8217;s...
- JesusFreak84: defenderof Truth, we sadly already know the answer to THAT question 8230;
- JesusFreak84: 1P5 says the priest is actually in hiding now: https://on epeterfive .com/chica go-priest- who-burned -gay-flag- flees-afte r-archdioc ese-threat ens-forcib le-removal /
- Joe in Canada: Regarding reclaiming the rainbow – when I see the rainbow painted on crosswalks , if possible I congratula te the municipali ty for commemorat ing the covenant God made with...
- Sawyer: Chaput is a wise and holy archbishop . He knows he’l l never get the red hat from Francis. Maybe this is his way of saying, “Scr ew it.” The bishops are slowly divid...
- Sword40: And so the persecutio n begins. We must pray and persevere and then pray some more.
- Dismas: Even if my thoughts on this matter were totally and verifiably correct, I believe that it would be a sin for me to express them.
- acardnal: I ordered 200 each “Mar y, Queen of the ClergyR 21; prayer cards and will be making them available at Mass for free!
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Imagine if the English King Henry VIII, having persuaded Parliament to pass the Act of Supremacy whereby the king should be “tak en, accepted and reputed the only...
- defenderofTruth: I wonder if the middle and final documents have also been written 230;
- Bthompson: Having failed to make women into priests, they have decided to make priests into women.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Marshall Plan
Today is the 11th anniversary of the release of the text of the “Emancipation Proclamation”, Summorum Pontificum, Benedict XVI’s great gift to the whole Church. It went into effect on 14 Sept 2007.
I’ve called this important Motu Proprio a key element … Continue reading
Here is a really sad tweet about this year’s Corpus Christi procession moved from Rome to Ostia. (Not a great idea, but, hey, they didn’t ask me.) There is a link to a video of the whole thing. Click ahead … Continue reading
At NRO there is a good piece, a reflection on the 10th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum. Let’s see it with my usual treatment. He starts out talking about how the late William Buckley had invited him to attend a TLM … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly the Catholic Herald, print edition (subscribe HERE). My emphases and comments.
Is there really an Old Mass revival?
Ten years ago Benedict XVI lifted restrictions on the Old Rite. So what had changed in Britain, asks Dan … Continue reading
For years I have contended that if we do not revitalize our sacred liturgical worship, every initiative we undertake as a Church will wither and face. Everything we do must start in worship and must be brought back to liturgical worship. We must … Continue reading
Summorum Pontificum was a tremendous gift to the whole Church. It was certainly one of the most – if not the most – important achievements of Benedict XVI, part of what I cal his Marshall Plan. It is a great … Continue reading
Over and over, wrong and wrong again; with the Church not speaking to the world from her wisdom, but the world teaching the Church a lesson in its foolishness, and the Church going along, like the puny kid in the … Continue reading
I think we have to pretty much give up on correct terminology now. It seems that the bifurcation is nearly complete. Latin has been isolated from the Novus Ordo, partly because those on the traditional side of thing perpetually called the … Continue reading
The Congregation for Divine Worship in Rome received a new Prefect last November, His Eminence Robert Card. Sarah. He should be a good, solid Prefect. At the same time, however, there was a bit of a purge of, say, the … Continue reading
Today is the anniversary of the implementation of Summorum Pontificum. The Motu Proprio will surely be recognized as one of the most important achievements of the too-brief pontificate of Benedict XVI. It has already created a huge knock-on effect in … Continue reading
For your Brick by Brick file, I was sent a link to an entry at Catholic San Francisco about a new liturgical institute established by Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone.
Archbishop explains goal of new liturgical institute
On the eve of the feast of … Continue reading
Here is a good Brick By Brick story.
A while back I posted a note to traditional Catholics. This is our time to push forward and use the provisions of Summorum Pontificum and advance the vision of Benedict XVI. I urge … Continue reading
From the fine blog of my friend Fr Ray Blake, the distingusihed p.p. of Brighton, comes this encomium of the Dean of Bexley, tenens locum of Blackfen, His Hermeneuticalness himself, Fr. Tim Finigan and a fun video he concatenated for … Continue reading